PDA

View Full Version : I entered to win a Ubuntu laptop

BWF89
August 22nd, 2005, 03:35 AM
So I was with my dad going to the the Westmorland County Fair tonight. And when we were walking through this barn where they had all these booths setup for things like new airconditioners and enegry efficient windows.

When we got to the end of the barn I saw the words "Win a free laptop". So I rush over to take a look at it.

I go looking for the blue toolbar and green start button. It isn't there. In it's place are grey toolbars. I immidently recognise this as the GNOME desktop enviroment.

Then I try to figure out which distros it is. So the next thing I do was look at the wallpaper. After about 1/10th of a second later I realized that it was the default Ubuntu backround.

"This computer is running Ubuntu Linux I said to my dad". So I put my name and address down and entered the draw. Hopefully I will win but I doubt it.

It's pretty cool to see Linux being used in such obscure places such as a county fair.

Oh and no I didn't look to see what brand of laptop I was entering to win.

Brunellus
August 22nd, 2005, 05:47 AM
So I was with my dad going to the the Westmorland County Fair tonight. And when we were walking through this barn where they had all these booths setup for things like new airconditioners and enegry efficient windows.

When we got to the end of the barn I saw the words "Win a free laptop". So I rush over to take a look at it.

I go looking for the blue toolbar and green start button. It isn't there. In it's place are grey toolbars. I immidently recognise this as the GNOME desktop enviroment.

Then I try to figure out which distros it is. So the next thing I do was look at the wallpaper. After about 1/10th of a second later I realized that it was the default Ubuntu backround.

"This computer is running Ubuntu Linux I said to my dad". So I put my name and address down and entered the draw. Hopefully I will win but I doubt it.

It's pretty cool to see Linux being used in such obscure places such as a county fair.

Oh and no I didn't look to see what brand of laptop I was entering to win.
that's cool.

who was raffling it off?

BWF89
August 22nd, 2005, 04:17 PM
that's cool.

who was raffling it off?
I forget but I'll let you know as soon as they tell me I won the contest :) .

Takis
August 22nd, 2005, 11:21 PM
<force>You don't need to win that laptop.</force>

<force>You will let it go out there and spread the Ubuntu word.</force>

<force>Move along.</force>

Kapre
August 23rd, 2005, 05:18 AM
I forget but I'll let you know as soon as they tell me I won the contest :) .
Maybe its an Acer. Here in our place, they are selling Acer notebooks with linux loaded (dont know which distro though).

RastaMahata
August 24th, 2005, 12:39 AM
A laptop, a laptop, my kingdom for a laptop!

I wish I had a kingdom :(

Buffalo Soldier
August 24th, 2005, 12:47 AM
BWF89, I wish all the best and hope you'll win the laptop.