PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Public Relation Series

poofyhairguy
August 22nd, 2005, 01:17 AM
Recently I posted a big how to that I have been working on:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=312488#post312488

This how to is different from most, as it more gives advice of how to convert Windows users rather than telling you the steps. One of the biggest complaints of the Linux community from outsiders is that the community often lacks moderate rhetoric. Often the Gnu community is accused of all being rabid zealots, despite the fact that most users are probably sensible people. I might make some people mad by downplaying the importance of Libre software (yes I know the importance) but I know that non nerds want to hear things different then that. It doesn’t matter how the world converts to Gnu software, as long as it does I say.

I plan to make more PR documents to help the Ubuntu community. If people want to spread Ubuntu, I hope to give them the tools they need to succeed. Like a motivational speaker, I want to point out the pitfalls and help others in their quest. I consider to be the first example of such documentation to be this:

http://www.psychocats.net/essays/linuxdesktop.php

The purpose of these documents is two fold: I want to help shape the image of Ubuntu in a positive way and make it so that we cannot be labeled as zealots, and I want to show that any skill a person has (my background is in Communications) can be used by the community. My next one will be called “Why Ubuntu is great for a hardcore gamer.”

Ok. That’s it. Please give me comments and critiques, and tell me if you want to help with future PR documentation.

autocrosser
August 23rd, 2005, 05:51 AM
I really liked your article--worded well--got the point across & didn't look down on the reader..... I do Graphic design & for what I need, GIMP looks like it will work very well--(mostly Webdesign oriented graphics)--If not GIMP, then Inkscape looks like a second (like Illustrator) choice. I would like to help with your work--drop me an E to talk about it--I'm more into artwork--so that might be of help.

Have you thought of a wider posting for this work? This needs to get into the hands of people that are tired of the Microsloth world & are not "quite" motivated to look beyond it---and I've talked to people that said--"what's Linux?"

I came from the Mac world & was tired of the constant "upgrade $179" ride--I bought into the Adobe world for many years (too many to count--Adobe has over $10,000 of my cash from "upgrades" & "needed" software)---RANT OVER----

In any case--like to help--let's talk.

Fun Edit--Took the test--said I should look at Debian or Ubuntu----\\:D/I guess I'm in the "right" place----

aysiu
August 23rd, 2005, 05:57 AM
Poofy, consider me on board, too (especially since my Linux desktop piece is supposed to be the flagship article for the new PR initiative!). Just about the only thing I can do is write. I don't program. I don't graphic design. I wouldn't mind being a proofreader, either. I noticed that spreadubuntu.org is taken. Would this PR project be part of Ubuntu Forums, part of the Wiki, or a separate website altogether?

arnieboy
August 23rd, 2005, 06:20 AM
Poofy, consider me on board, too (especially since my Linux desktop piece is supposed to be the flagship article for the new PR initiative!). Just about the only thing I can do is write. I don't program. I don't graphic design. I wouldn't mind being a proofreader, either. I noticed that spreadubuntu.org is taken. Would this PR project be part of Ubuntu Forums, part of the Wiki, or a separate website altogether?
and wherever aysiu does the proofreading, I will do the final critique.

aysiu
August 23rd, 2005, 06:26 AM
and wherever aysiu does the proofreading, I will do the final critique. No offense, but I really won't care about your "final critique," based on some of your other responses to my posts. In any case, I was talking about proofreading for grammar/spelling and such, not content.

arnieboy
August 23rd, 2005, 06:28 AM
No offense, but I really won't care about your "final critique," based on some of your other responses to my posts. In any case, I was talking about proofreading for grammar/spelling and such, not content.
care u must! care I will!

matthew
August 23rd, 2005, 06:33 AM
Fun Edit--Took the test--said I should look at Debian or Ubuntu----\\:D/I guess I'm in the "right" place----
I took it and was told Ubuntu...cool! Complete results in order were: Ubuntu, Debian, Kubuntu, Mepis.

Here's the link directly to the test for anyone looking for it:
http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php

It was linked to in the article poofyhairguy had linked to.

Buffalo Soldier
August 23rd, 2005, 06:39 AM
someone need to pour loads of bucket full of cold water. lets not start with the wrong foot.

arnieboy, maybe should have use different word than "critique".

aysiu, if you don't care about arnieboy "final critique" you wouldn't have respond that way.

"gaduh-gaduh, kang ada gak aku kawin kan dua orang ni"

lose translation of favourite Malay folks words
usually given to 2 people who fights alot "fight a lot aaa.. i'll get both of you married, then you'll know".

arnieboy
August 23rd, 2005, 06:46 AM
someone need to pour loads of bucket full of cold water. lets not start with the wrong foot.

arnieboy, maybe should have use different word than "critique".

aysiu, if you don't care about arnieboy "final critique" you wouldn't have respond that way.

"gaduh-gaduh, kang ada gak aku kawin kan dua orang ni"

lose translation of favourite Malay folks words
usually given to 2 people who fights alot "fight a lot aaa.. i'll get both of you married, then you'll know".
buff ole boy am a satisfied heterosexual bachelor. please spare me :)

Rule
August 23rd, 2005, 06:49 AM
thats was a GREAT read thank you for posting this :D.

autocrosser
August 23rd, 2005, 07:37 AM
So I see a commonality growing here---(marrage asideO:))--There is more that enough brain-power & word skill to create a site that would be Google'd towards #1--I can see enough keywords:)--

Now--I don't know what others have "going"--But, a website devoted to this "should" promote Linux in all its flavors--not just butter-nut or strawberry or----

I would be interested in how many links are available on this topic--then contact the various sites & create a "super" site (ouch--no pun intended!) as a clearing point for linux-dom.

Include "editorials" or "guest postings" or "Distro blogs"---well, you get my drift. (where the content is pro-use):)
Include "printable material" for advocates
include a central repository of HowTo's

Tell me that my thoughts blow or have some merit--in any case, I want a site that Google would hit FIRST----with as many keywords as we can think of...............

arnieboy
August 23rd, 2005, 07:51 AM
a must read:
http://www.contractoruk.com/002255.html
gotta sign off on this note for tonite.