PDA

View Full Version : Lojack email caimpain-Please help

Madmoose
October 23rd, 2007, 07:09 PM
Hello,

I don't know if any of you have ever heard of Computrace® LoJack® for Laptops, but it is a laptop recovery service. Using it helps get your computer back should it ever be stolen. They have a positive 4 out of 5 pc recovery, and from what I've read from other sites are good to their word.

When I first got it it was pre-installed on my laptop, and since I'm going to school and travel a lot I liked the idea of having the little extra protection. It wasn't until installing gusty did I realize that lojack doesn't like linux. It will erase the MBR thinking that I've installed another OS over windows (or Mac now)

This is where I need your help. I would like to see them support Ubuntu. I don't want to have Windows installed anymore, and this would be one of only two things keeping windows installed on my laptop. (The other is gaming :))

With computer manufactures starting to offer Ubuntu as a pre-installed OS, and hopefully more to follow. There is going to be a lot of computers that aren't going to have some kind of theft protection installed and Computrace® can get that side of the market.

I'm asking that everyone write Computrace® an email asking them so support Ubuntu. I feel with enough emails from potential customers they might follow Dell's lead, and start to offer Ubuntu support.

Please mail, email, or phone them and ask them to support Ubuntu:

Canadian Headquarters
Absolute Software Corporation
Suite 1600, Four Bentall Centre
1055 Dunsmuir Street
PO Box 49211
Vancouver, BC V7X 1K8

US Headquarters
Absolute Software Inc.
10900 NE 8th Street
Suite 900
Bellevue, WA, 98004

Technical Support:
Available Monday through Friday between 6am and 6pm PST (between 9am and 9pm EST).

* Email: support@lojackforlaptops.com
* Online: Click here for troubleshooting information
* Phone: 1-877-337-0337 (local within BC call 604-676-3642)

Sales:

* Email: sales@lojackforlaptops.com

The only issue I see is that you'll be installing a non-free service on an
Ubuntu machine. Well all I have to say about that is WoW, Dell Tech support, and a whole list of others... :lolflag:

Please everyone contact Computrace® and tell them you would like to see Ubuntu be supported.

bluedragon436
November 6th, 2007, 03:19 PM
I am going to send an email right now for this support...I haven't installed it on this laptop just yet, but have had it on every laptop that I have owned for the last three years...good people they are...

Flying caveman
November 7th, 2007, 07:00 AM
this might be worth reading http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper#How_to_setup_a_LoJack_system_for_your_lapto p