PDA

View Full Version : Why not Gubuntu and Kubuntu?

Meson
October 23rd, 2007, 04:49 PM
I notice that Gubuntu is a name that's been proposed for gamers, so ignoring that....

Why is Gnome being favored? I think there are a lot of reasons why KDE should be favored, but at least lets make them equal. Why make new users feel like they might be missing something if they go to Kubuntu?

Ubuntu should be the main name for Kubuntu Gubuntu Xubuntu and Edubuntu.

What are your thoughts?

sandpaperback
October 23rd, 2007, 04:54 PM
Missing something? Kubuntu users get one extra letter!

Not that I'm extrmely well informed or even partial to one option or the other, but wouldn't taking it a step further be like saying why not just drop the distribution name and call it Linux? I think you have to think of it more like Canonical Ubuntu, Canonical Kubuntu, etc. (If you're comparing the use of Ubuntu to that of Microsoft).

zeDuffMan
October 23rd, 2007, 05:10 PM
Well Kubuntu, Edubuntu and Xubuntu are just official derivatives of the original Ubuntu distro which were set up so it can reach a wider audience by providing DEs to suit everyone. I don't see why it needs to change its name. I mean, Coca Cola didn't change Coke's name when it made Cherry Coke, Vanilla Coke, Lemon Coke, etc, and it's sorta the same priniciple. The four official flavours of *buntu are actually quite dissimilar so putting them under the same name could be misleading.