PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Virtualbox fullscreen

Malice007
October 23rd, 2007, 03:40 PM
I installed Virtualbox and when I go to full screen it blows up the virtualbox window to full but the os running in it stays the same size... I am not running any desktop effect. I would just like to
when I tell it full screen show me the whole screen just like it was not running off of Ubuntu? Is this possible?

Orbital75
October 23rd, 2007, 04:12 PM
Humm..... that's interesting. Are you going to full screen by using the correct command?
You do this by pressing the Right side ( Ctrl F )

If thats not the issue then it sounds like a Video problem and we'll have to wait for
more responses because thats beyond my knowledge with this particular application.

tsgray
October 24th, 2007, 12:08 AM
I had the same problem for a while. While you have you guest OS running select "install guest additions" from the devices menu. Reboot when prompted and when it comes back up host + F should take it to full screen. You may need to readjust you resolution and color depth.

Dr Small
October 24th, 2007, 12:10 AM
I always start virtualbox on another X session, without gnome-session, so I have no bars and whatnot. Then when I open VirtualBox fullscreen, there are no bars to hinder me :D

bodhi.zazen
October 24th, 2007, 02:50 AM
I had the same problem for a while. While you have you guest OS running select "install guest additions" from the devices menu. Reboot when prompted and when it comes back up host + F should take it to full screen. You may need to readjust you resolution and color depth.

+1

Malice007
October 24th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Installing guest additions fix the problem thank you.

theblang
November 14th, 2008, 06:00 AM
This fixed the problem for me as well. Here is a link to installing the guest additions.

http://www.robotification.com/component/content/article/8-programming/7-how-to-install-virtual-box-additions-on-ubuntu.html

itisbasi
November 20th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Thanks....Installing guest additions fixed the full screen issue for me too...

janthonywj
February 23rd, 2009, 10:34 PM
Solved my screen resolution problem, and also informed me about the OSE, USB issue I was about to hit. Thanks.

gineraso
March 24th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Nice work. Thank you.:D

mahendra.pardeshi
May 21st, 2009, 02:36 PM
Great work !!!! ):P

brateni112
July 13th, 2009, 02:11 PM
This fixed the problem for me as well. Here is a link to installing the guest additions.

http://www.robotification.com/component/content/article/8-programming/7-how-to-install-virtual-box-additions-on-ubuntu.html

Hello,
I'm new to linux, a friend of mine told me to try it out and I really like it. So I'm using MagixBox, but when I try to install guest additions - nothing happens.

I looked at hte link but could not make out what to do at the begining. I know how to write the codes. Can anyone give me a step by step guide?

-------------------------
Pentium M 725 1.60GHz Processor, 2MB L2-Cache
ATI Mobility RADEON 9000 AGP 4X video graphics at 32MB
14.1-in SXGA Monitor
60GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive, 4200RPM
1GB RAM
Microsoft Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 3

Thnks in advance!

bodhi.zazen
July 13th, 2009, 02:39 PM
What is "MagixBox" ? Do you mean Virtualbox ?

Is Ubuntu your host or guest ?

brateni112
July 13th, 2009, 03:08 PM
What is "MagixBox" ? Do you mean Virtualbox ?

Is Ubuntu your host or guest ?

Yes VirtualBox
Linux Ubuntu is my guest hosteed on windows. I can't get full screen, I did try everything mentioned above, except that text in the link.

bodhi.zazen
July 13th, 2009, 03:47 PM
That is a very very old link, from 2007.

Shut down the guest.

For the CD, use the additions iso and reboot the guest.

If needed, mount the iso:

sudo mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom

Then run the installer script:

sudo /media/cdrom/VBoxLinuxAdditions-x86.run

If you are running a 64 bit guest, run the 64 bit script.

brateni112
July 14th, 2009, 11:34 AM
What iso do you mean in your second sentence?
I downloaded VirtualBox from their website.
Ubuntu 9.04 is on bootable CD

I understood the rest but not hte part about the iso. please explain.
P.S. My englih is exellent BUT still not my mother-language.

renbla
July 14th, 2009, 11:57 AM
I always start virtualbox on another X session, without gnome-session, so I have no bars and whatnot. Then when I open VirtualBox fullscreen, there are no bars to hinder me :D

Hehe i never heard of this method till today. I will use this method :lolflag:

brateni112
July 14th, 2009, 04:10 PM

Shut down the guest.

sudo mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdromThen run the installer script:

sudo /media/cdrom/VBoxLinuxAdditions-x86.runIf you are running a 64 bit guest, run the 64 bit script.

I got it. I will try this out and let ya'll know if it worked.

brateni112
July 14th, 2009, 04:51 PM

Shut down the guest.

sudo mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdromThen run the installer script:

sudo /media/cdrom/VBoxLinuxAdditions-x86.runIf you are running a 64 bit guest, run the 64 bit script.

It all worked great! :p Now I will be able to test Linux couse I really like it. And this forum comunity is excellente!

WORKS GREAT!

P.S. I downloaded the addition iso from:
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/2.2.0/VBoxGuestAdditions_2.2.0.iso

bodhi.zazen
July 14th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Awesome. FYI, the additions .iso is included with VirtualBox (PUEL edition).

phenity
July 21st, 2009, 12:52 AM
that link was very helpful. Now I know how to set this up on any other computer I want to as well.

pboxinator
July 28th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Thanks a bunch! This really helped solve my fullscreen problem that I have been glocking over since I got my new Mac lol. I love Linux and the tiny screen on a big monitor looked really stupid. Thx =)

Berduchwal
July 28th, 2009, 04:48 PM
I have guess additions installed on the guest Windows XP, Ubuntu 9.04 is my host.
I run in full screen CTRL + F
Still I have only small screen in the middle and max resolution I can set up in XP is 800x600.

see image attached.

CaptCrunch
September 21st, 2009, 10:23 PM
I had this issue too when already having guest additions installed, Ctrl + F would still show a small screen despite resolution adjustments. Going to Machine > Auto-Resize Guest Display, adjusted the window to perfectly match my monitor display (at 1920 x 1051 px).

2kquik
January 18th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Thanks it worked! ;)

LordOfThePigs
January 20th, 2010, 05:07 PM

This sounds like the perfect setup for me! How can I do that?

OmahaVike
February 8th, 2010, 02:42 PM
This sounds like the perfect setup for me! How can I do that?

I'm guessing something like this?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CustomXSession

fuzzy_hero
February 17th, 2010, 11:22 PM
Hi,

This is my first time of using linux.... I'm having a similar problem of getting it to show in fullscreen. I tried out the suggestions (installing virtual box addition as instructed in this link http://www.robotification.com/component/content/article/8-programming/7-how-to-install-virtual-box-additions-on-ubuntu.html) mentioned but couldn't get it right.

Please can someone help me out (its my first time using linux) with this?

Thanks

jinmaning
June 14th, 2010, 03:43 AM
i have solved this! pretty easy guys! visit my blog http://jinnyfeb.blogspot.com/2010/06/how-to-make-ubuntu-1004-go-to-full.html

henrx
February 5th, 2013, 04:54 AM
Solved for me thank you.

wildmanne39
February 5th, 2013, 07:38 AM
Old thread closed.