PDA

View Full Version : Increasing mswindowishness of the gnome desktop

ljoris
November 22nd, 2004, 11:03 PM
Okay, this is a bit of a rant, i do feel like ranting a bit nowadays.

As a multiple-years linux and mainly gnome user i'd like to state that i do not like the way gnome is progressing. More and more it is being simplified but it's also becoming dominant. Wich is not to be liked. Also, it's adding more and more window-controls instead of those handy right-click-menu things.

Take if for what it's worth, that applet-window is not of any greater use then the way applets used to be added before, except for the little bit of explanation that goes with it. What about a menu AND a window approach ... What about not having to open that window for every applet you load ... would be great.

Furthermore, maybe this is Ubuntu specific, but the ubuntu-created menus are NOT accepting my changes, gksudo is not working will so i changed that to gksu wich does work well, after every reboot gksudo is back again. YUCK! But that's just because it's not working out of the box and i didn't want to dig into that just yet.

Let it be said though Ubuntu IS a pretty nice piece of software, especially because installs and runs well with just one cd. Hardware detection is also quite good.

zenwhen
November 23rd, 2004, 03:53 PM
You never pointed out anything that supported the claim you made in your thread title. This thread should have been less of a silly hit job on Gnome and more of a support question in General Support like the rest of the civilized folk around here post.

If you want fifteeen hundred options in every silly right click menu, perhaps you should install KDE.

dataw0lf
November 23rd, 2004, 06:26 PM
If you want fifteeen hundred options in every silly right click menu, perhaps you should install KDE.
I couldn't have said it better.
Unless you didn't understand, if you want a completely bloated, almost unmanageable GUI, use KDE.
dataw0lf

ljoris
December 3rd, 2004, 11:12 AM
You never pointed out anything that supported the claim you made in your thread title. This thread should have been less of a silly hit job on Gnome and more of a support question in General Support like the rest of the civilized folk around here post.

Hey! I'm not really fond of kde ... though it has some 'extras' i do like like the ease of mounting devices, the better manager userrights towards the enduser, better cd-burning software, and maybe just a little faster or less memory intensive.

Still i do like gnome, from as soon as it was in Debian and i had a machine capable enough to run it i did. I like it but ... and that's what my ranting was about ... sorry about any toes and hearts i've hurt with that but it's just a bit nuts to have such a goodlooking desktop wich fails to deliver in some part

Really, i use gnome where i can but i have to forget about using it once i look at a 333Mhz laptop with 192Mb of ram ...

good enough for a smile ?

ljoris
December 3rd, 2004, 11:13 AM
I couldn't have said it better.
Unless you didn't understand, if you want a completely bloated, almost unmanageable GUI, use KDE.
dataw0lf

You probably have THE most evil sig in history