PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations on a great release!

ThinkBuntu
October 23rd, 2007, 06:32 AM
Dear Ubuntu Community (self-referential? who knows?),

I'm writing this from the 7.10 Live CD, and I must say that this is the finest desktop Linux distribution I've seen to date, bar none. Ubuntu has made leaps in polish and features compared to when I first booted this MacBook a year ago with the 6.10 release. For one, I'm happy since 915Resolution took care of my 1280x800 resolution. Compiz (or is it Compiz-Fusion) has been woven into the OS beautifully, similar to the 3D effects of OSX (although not quite there, but Apple's the leader in pretty desktops).

If only Adobe made software for Linux!

Well, and if TextMate and Transmit were available, although GEdit is far and away the best default text editor for any OS.

Again, congratulations! This isn't the one, because it will take time for the world to wake up. Play your cards right, and you will see tremendous growth (I'm talking double or triple the current users in two quarters) with the LTS which will be amazing.

Let me put it this way: if I weren't dependent on certain design and web dev. software, I'd have Ubuntu running on this Mac. So I guess you guys should shove me over to PHP development :^)

Sincerely,
A stunned former distro-holic who's seen the best of the Linux world

P.S. Pay tribute to Debian. Couldn't happen without them.

ghandi69_
October 23rd, 2007, 06:43 AM
Why thank you!!

I agree, there are a few missing 'blockbusters' (games, adobe, professional software(autocad and the like)) that I personally believe are the main restrictions currently slowing Linux adoption, but everything that the Linux development community can control has been improved greatly over the last couple of years.

PartisanEntity
October 23rd, 2007, 08:43 AM
I'm pretty much in agreement. My Linux experience only started with Dapper, but Ubuntu has come a long way since then, it just keeps getting better. I have only been running 7.10 since two days now, but it's looking good to replace Feisty as my favourite Ubuntu release.

Thank you to all related developers, bug reporters and testers.

Nunu
October 23rd, 2007, 08:50 AM
The only thing that needs to be done to make this OS perfect is hardware support. I know that that is not as possible is we would have liked it to be because of the manufactures of hardware.

We just can't have a perfect world :(