PDA

View Full Version : Does using Linux still have a certain association with it ?

weasel fierce
August 21st, 2005, 07:41 PM
It used to be that if you mentioned Linux, people assumed you're a computer wizard or programmer, at least back in Denmark, when I grew up.

Does it still have certain associations, or is it "oh, so you're just using another OS?" today ?

WHat have people experienced ?

-Rick-
August 21st, 2005, 08:00 PM
"Linux...?"

senorcheaposgato
August 21st, 2005, 08:51 PM
Yeah, most people just look at me like I'm crazy. In my experience, not even telling people "It's another operating system, like Windows. But different." doesn't help. It would seem that a large part of the population doesn't know what Windows is.

Oof.

tseliot
August 21st, 2005, 09:14 PM
It used to be that if you mentioned Linux, people assumed you're a computer wizard or programmer, at least back in Denmark, when I grew up.

Does it still have certain associations, or is it "oh, so you're just using another OS?" today ?

WHat have people experienced ?
It's the same in Italy (or it is even worse). When I tell other people I use Linux they always ask me 2 questions:

1) if they know the name "Linux": "Are you a hacker or something?"

2) if they don't know Linux they tell me: "Linux??? Oh well I've heard about Macintosh, they are virus free, aren't they?"

Kvark
August 21st, 2005, 09:17 PM
From my experience using linux usually has the association that you know how to fix any windows problem. Sometimes it comes with other assumptions as well. I think the most supricing question I got due to using linux is "Do you have a plain old telephone or do I have to use the internet to call you?".

transactionlogfiller
August 21st, 2005, 09:27 PM
If I tell people I use Linux I see the fear in their eyes because they think I'm going to launch into a lecture about the perils of M$ and the how my linux box has 8000 days uptime.

darkmatter
August 21st, 2005, 09:36 PM
"Are you a hacker or something?"

lol, that does seem to happen to me on a regular basis. :)

Oh...They usually turn and run as well. (I have a reputation for 'informing' (read - bashing over the head with long-winded debates on the technical merits of FOSS) people) :-P

granite230
August 21st, 2005, 09:36 PM
Yeah, most people just look at me like I'm crazy. In my experience, not even telling people "It's another operating system, like Windows. But different." doesn't help. It would seem that a large part of the population doesn't know what Windows is.

Oof.

You mean: It would seem that a large part of the population doesn't know what an OS is. Of course Windows is an OS, but people think it's just a part of the computer.
So it's not very surprising that people don't know what you're talking about when you mention Linux. But like you said: even when you tell them what Windows is and what Linux is, people still don't understand. I think that's very strange...
They think Windows, and ONLY Windows will run on pc's. They get totally cunfused as if you are saying: cars can also run on light.

matthew
August 21st, 2005, 09:52 PM
From my experience using linux usually has the association that you know how to fix any windows problem. Sometimes it comes with other assumptions as well. I think the most supricing question I got due to using linux is "Do you have a plain old telephone or do I have to use the internet to call you?".
I love that one!!

Hey, are you calling me a geek??! :grin: :grin: :grin: Yeah, I get that all the time...or at least when people know what I'm talking about

DJ_Max
August 21st, 2005, 10:47 PM
Most people in my city don't actually know what an OS is, let alone there is another piece of software besides Windows. If you ran up to someone, and said Computer, they would probably say Windows, same with "word processor".

benplaut
August 21st, 2005, 11:11 PM
i am the mighty and feared BEN!!! beware my 1337 14cK 0f 5K!115!!!!111!!!1!

anyways :roll:

for those who know what linux is (not many), they are either interested, or scared of my /\/\4D 5|<!115...

i've kinda given up trying to explain it to people, except for

them: "what's linux"
me: "it's an alternative to windows or mac. it can run on pretty much anything"
[if they are relatively technical, they sometimes ask]
them: "mac uses PPC, you must have made a mistake
me: "i run it on my thinkpad, i run it on my PDA. i've run it on an iMac before. if my watch had a USB port, i could run it on that, too"

:grin:

weasel fierce
August 21st, 2005, 11:35 PM
if my watch had a USB port, i could run it on that, too"

:grin:

The command line would be awfully awkward with only 5 characters visible on the screen ;)

blinksilver
August 21st, 2005, 11:59 PM
In the CS department at my school its even like that to some extent, they all know what an OS is, and well that linux is an OS, but installing it is scary to them. We use Solaris box in the labs, so I think they group linux with solaris, and they get pisted off(i don't understand why, i dig the solaris boxes), even some of the best coders (I mean some D*** good coders) I know act like that, well the first (second?) years, and once in my life, I heard a 4th (maybe 5th, hehe) year say something of the liking "I use windows...because its better."

Not to give my schools CS department, we develop such tech as the S.M.A.R.T that your HD uses, The department is really pro unix/open source, have proffess that took part in the coding of unix(i think), worked for 3dfx in its prime, help put into place some of the largest sever infastructures, I am even told that the guy who does the development work for slashdot failed our compilers class during his tenior. Not forgetting to mention some of the really capable students that will blow your mind.

it sometimes it shocks me how someone who spent 4years at a school, developed a CPU from scratch, wrote up a compiler, an OS, knows at least 10 programming language can be so closed minded.

I think it has to do with the Terminal, it scare the living sh** out of people. ](*,)

poofyhairguy
August 22nd, 2005, 01:37 AM
I associate things with it. When a new virus comes and I am helping people fix it I say "gosh, I'm trying to help but I have not dealt with a virus in a while because I use Linux."

xaque
August 22nd, 2005, 01:57 AM
I associate things with it. When a new virus comes and I am helping people fix it I say "gosh, I'm trying to help but I have not dealt with a virus in a while because I use Linux."
That's probably a good tactic to take.. subtle brainwashing. It gets Linux into people's heads without annoying them like blatant evangelism does.

XQC
August 22nd, 2005, 02:09 AM
Once, the brother of a friend of mine went to me, with a CD-Burner in his hand and asked me seriously "That thing doesn't work anymore, since you're good with computers, can you open it and fix it?".

Man, I was really pissed off.

Overall image of Linux is still:
Linux = Nerd-OS

The paradoxon is that I use Ubuntu because I find it easier than Windows :roll:

skoal
August 22nd, 2005, 02:35 AM
MuuuusssstT....reeeeSiiist....temmmptaatiion...too ooo...aaaanswer...........question...

ahhhhhh...
whew! Glad that one passed quickly...

\\//_

jobezone
August 22nd, 2005, 02:55 AM
That's probably a good tactic to take.. subtle brainwashing. It gets Linux into people's heads without annoying them like blatant evangelism does.
But this has also happened to me, and was completely honest. As time goes by, my knowledge on "fixing windows" (Question: Are these the great skills we develop as long-time windows users? "Fixing windows"? Talk amongst yourselves:)) decreases and I can't keep up with the latest remedies or techniques. I tell them this, and also, "well, if you were using ...".