PDA

View Full Version : Apparently System 76 Has Decided Looks ARE Everything!

kevin11951
October 23rd, 2007, 03:46 AM
If you look at system 76's website, (system76.com (http://system76.com)) they changed the laptops, and they now look MUCH nicer! will buy one as soon as my current laptop dies (do laptops die when they fall?)

yatt
October 23rd, 2007, 05:12 AM
If you look at system 76's website, (system76.com (http://system76.com)) they changed the laptops, and they now look MUCH nicer! will buy one as soon as my current laptop dies (do laptops die when they fall?)They are better, but still not the nicest around.

cogadh
October 23rd, 2007, 05:39 AM
Maybe I'm missing something, but they don't look any different to me. They don't look bad, but they also aren't anything special (other than the fact they come with Ubuntu).

keyboardashtray
October 23rd, 2007, 06:47 AM
They are better, but still not the nicest around.

I was wondering about this... are system 76's able to run a fully free distro, like gNewSense or Gobuntu?

I was asking where I could buy a PC that is fully compatible with a completely free system over at gNewSense, and someone pointed me to system 76.

But they have Nvidia graphics cards, just like Dell.

Is there a better place around?

regomodo
October 23rd, 2007, 09:53 AM
Maybe I'm missing something, but they don't look any different to me. They don't look bad, but they also aren't anything special (other than the fact they come with Ubuntu).

+1 That. They look identical to the ones i last saw

Dragonbite
October 23rd, 2007, 01:44 PM
They may have to look at "sprucing" things up some, now that they are competing with Dell! All the more power to them!

Phil Airtime
October 23rd, 2007, 01:50 PM
I might be missing something here, but what's the deal with these Ubuntu computers? Why go online to buy a more expensive computer with Ubuntu already installed and have it sent all the way from overseas when you could just buy any old box from the high street, take it home, unpack it and install Ubuntu for free?

notwen
October 23rd, 2007, 02:01 PM
I might be missing something here, but what's the deal with these Ubuntu computers? Why go online to buy a more expensive computer with Ubuntu already installed and have it sent all the way from overseas when you could just buy any old box from the high street, take it home, unpack it and install Ubuntu for free?

System76 guarantees 100% hardware compatibility on their products and their support is top-notch.

mikeypizano
October 23rd, 2007, 04:39 PM
Sure everything works but I would much rather pay less and take my chances! Look at me, I have the dreaded Broadcom chipset (AireForce One) and its working under Ubuntu this time!

zachtib
October 23rd, 2007, 04:59 PM
The new Serval Performance looks pretty sleek, and I'm likeing the specs on it as well.

As for why to buy them... IMO I like to support a vendor that supports Linux, even if it cost me a little bit more.

hellmet
October 23rd, 2007, 05:10 PM
System76 guarantees 100% hardware compatibility on their products and their support is top-notch.
My system was built by a member on this forum , and it cost me 410$. And Ubuntu runs 100% compatible. System76 computers are one of the costliest I've ever seen.

notwen
October 23rd, 2007, 05:35 PM
My system was built by a member on this forum , and it cost me 410$. And Ubuntu runs 100% compatible. System76 computers are one of the costliest I've ever seen.

It is your choice to buy from who you wish.

I personally don't believe in buying desktop systems, as I can research the hardware and build it myself making a 100% compatible desktop. Laptops on the other hand, I'd rather purchase from a vendor. I personally purchased a Dell over System76 simply due to pricing. That said Dell's Linux support is getting better, but half of Dell's tech support doesn't know what Linux is. My Dellbuntu Inspiron 1420n came w/ Ubuntu pre-loaded, but I had to work some bugs out. System76 ships their machines fully compatible. System76 from what I understand is said to be some of the best Linux support around. Their systems come w/ a default 1 yr of support. Check their sub-forums here on UbuntuForums for more information, they are a very active member in the Ubuntu community.

Depressed Man
October 23rd, 2007, 07:06 PM
I would've thought that if Dell sold laptops with Ubuntu preinstalled then everything on it would work.. (webcam, microphone, etc..).

darweth
October 23rd, 2007, 07:19 PM
Yes yes. If I was going for a desktop, certainly I would just build my own. No questions ask, no dilemmas, ditto.

But in the case of the laptop I take various factors into account. Price being only one of them. I cannot just go and build my own laptop, sadly. I must factor price, support, satisfaction, style, ethics, and so on. When that is done, System76 comes out quite near the top for me.

jc87
October 23rd, 2007, 07:28 PM
We only ship within the United States and Canada.

Too bad, otherwise i might buy one:(

Incense
October 23rd, 2007, 07:37 PM

They offer support, and they have their own repo where they have their own set of drivers so you know everything will work.

http://knowledge76.com/index.php/System76_Driver

forrestcupp
October 23rd, 2007, 08:08 PM
I was wondering about this... are system 76's able to run a fully free distro, like gNewSense or Gobuntu?

I was asking where I could buy a PC that is fully compatible with a completely free system over at gNewSense, and someone pointed me to system 76.

I haven't looked at all of their computers, but what I saw on System76 offered you a choice between nvidia and Intel video which has good Free drivers. If you don't care about opengl stuff, there are Free nvidia drivers, too.

keyboardashtray
October 24th, 2007, 03:44 AM
I haven't looked at all of their computers, but what I saw on System76 offered you a choice between nvidia and Intel video which has good Free drivers. If you don't care about opengl stuff, there are Free nvidia drivers, too.

Do you have to special request that (the Intel video)? I'm scrolling through their different desktop models, through the "configure" option, and the only choices on the desktop machines that offer a choice seems to be nvidia.

Kingsley
October 24th, 2007, 04:22 AM
Still not as good looking as the dv6000 or Macbook. I do like the Serval though.

VCSkier
March 9th, 2008, 06:08 AM

+1

If you go with the Intel graphics, do the laptop's hardware require non-Free drivers? What about non-Free firmware?

Until they do, I'll probably just get a cheap Acer from Wal-Mart and wipe it clean...

gashcr
March 9th, 2008, 06:47 AM
I love the brushed metal finish on the pangolin and gazelle value... They would match perfectly my desktop :P