PDA

View Full Version : Transitioning business tasks from win32 to linux

Ehtetur
October 23rd, 2007, 03:38 AM
Several months ago at work, a couple of us "unofficially" loaded Ubuntu Feisty on our laptops... now since upgraded to Gutsy.

We notices that several key win32 applications used to access very large database servers ran better/faster on wine than on winXP: A query that took 45 seconds to process on win32, took only 8 seconds on wine.. We also notices other benefits such as longer uptime/less lock ups.. Actually no lockups in ubuntu... :)

Keep in mind, that we enabled compiz-fusion. emerald themes, spinning cubes, barking dogs, and all sorts of eye candy in Gutsy and we were flying.. Folks on WindowsXP ran it in classic mode, 'less the resources used ground their laptops to a standstill..
"While eye candy is not a business benefit, it's still just very very cool."

Now, we're officially in the process of rolling out Ubuntu - very very gradually to some other folks... These folks have some experience using linux at home on their personal/home systems... So for now, they're gonna dual boot... there will be a learning curve..

We're also lucky in that several companies whose enterprise-level win32 apps we use had the vision to release linux versions... This makes what we're trying to accomplish easier and easier for my next level manager and his folks to accept.

Would like to hear from other folks how they've transitioned business tasks from win32 to linux or how they plan to do so..

-grubby
October 23rd, 2007, 04:06 AM
maybe you should email the wine developers about this amazing feat!

Crashmaxx
October 23rd, 2007, 04:26 AM
What kind of databases do you use? I'd be surprised if there wasn't a linux native way to access them that wasn't even faster.

It certainly is impressive that wine works better then XP for XP software though.

Ehtetur
October 23rd, 2007, 05:07 AM
The win32 app we use is based on IBM's SystemBuilder. It carries out tasks and queries on local hosts, unix servers and our mainframe...

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/u2/sb/components/sbclient.html

I'm pretty sure IBM has linux versions.. But our licenses are only for the win32 versions.