PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever tried a word processor OS?

Warpnow
October 23rd, 2007, 02:12 AM
I remember years ago my family had a word processor. It was LIKE a pc...but only did Word Processing and email via dial-up.

Something like this could be helpful for older people or people who want a simple interface for basic tasks. Just the basics with openoffice, mousepad, firefox, and a special compile of an email client where you could create an account through the OSs email server from right at the program.

I just think something like this could be really interesting for getting elderly people into computing. Could also build an interface in HTML which showcased a new site every week and kept an up-to-date list of the top webpages on the net.

I don't know, just a thought I was having.

bigee1212
October 23rd, 2007, 02:16 AM
hehe, basically a fresh install of ubuntu in a nut shell

some_random_noob
October 23rd, 2007, 02:40 AM
Like the $100 laptop, but more basic :)

... they should make such product. But the reality is that most people believe they need Windows Vista and a Dual Core processor to do their emails and word processing.

-grubby
October 23rd, 2007, 02:42 AM
yes I do in fact. It's not really a 'computer' its a HUMONGOUS thing from 1988 that has a daisy-wheel printer, a typewriter(switches between "typewriter" and "word processor" modes), and has a screen .It's made by smith corona and has special 2.5 inch 'floppys'

Ehtetur
October 23rd, 2007, 02:48 AM
Fluxbuntu is coming out shorty.. if it ain't out already... It looks like it's kinda what you're talking about.
http://wiki.fluxbuntu.org/index.php?title=Explore#What_Applications_are_Inst alled_by_Default.3F

While fluxbox can be customized with lots of bells and whistles, the default install is very sleek and minimal.
Perfect if you're looking for basic functions and don't need/use all the apps preloaded on ubuntu or kubuntu.

Acglaphotis
October 23rd, 2007, 02:50 AM
I have one, it's called emacs.:lolflag:

jpkotta
October 23rd, 2007, 03:22 AM
I was going to do the Emacs joke, but you beat me to it. The problem with Emacs, of course, is that it needs a good text editor.

santiagoward2000
October 23rd, 2007, 03:27 AM
yes I do in fact. It's not really a 'computer' its a HUMONGOUS thing from 1988 that has a daisy-wheel printer, a typewriter(switches between "typewriter" and "word processor" modes), and has a screen .It's made by smith corona and has special 2.5 inch 'floppys'

:lolflag: That sounds so cool!! Do you know what software (if any) it uses?

HermanAB
October 23rd, 2007, 03:29 AM
Hmm, a wordprocessor OS - something like DOS with Wordperfect 5.1?

-grubby
October 23rd, 2007, 03:30 AM
:lolflag: That sounds so cool!! Do you know what software (if any) it uses?

I actually have 2, one of them still prints, I'll see if I can get an image of it, It uses some Smith Corona program that's hard coded into the microchip
EDIT: OK I actually found a picture of it but mine's white. Also, it's a very bad picture

santiagoward2000
October 23rd, 2007, 03:37 AM
I actually have 2, one of them still prints, I'll see if I can get an image of it, It uses some Smith Corona program that's hard coded into the microchip
EDIT: OK I actually found a picture of it but mine's white. Also, it's a very bad picture

NICE!!

Sporkman
October 23rd, 2007, 04:19 AM
The problem with Emacs, of course, is that it needs a good text editor.

:lol: