PDA

View Full Version : What counts as "completely switching"?

daynah
October 22nd, 2007, 10:31 PM
I completely switched to linux, didn't even have Windows installed for a year and a half. Then I was given an iPhone, all bills paid for.

Oh come on, like you wouldn't take it.

So I needed Windows. I feel like a faker. I really don't log on that much, I mean, all my files are on the other partitions. But I still log on to back up, hack it, -not- upgrade to 1.1.1.

What does "completely switched over to linux" mean to you?

phrostbyte
October 22nd, 2007, 10:47 PM
I think the second option. Just because you are a "Mac user", or a "Linux user" doesn't mean you can't or don't touch other OSes. I think it's OS you perfer, and for that is Linux..

Btw, lucky you got a free iPhone. :) Hopefully one day someone will crack the properitary protocol it uses for syncing.

phrostbyte
October 22nd, 2007, 10:47 PM
dupe

LaRoza
October 22nd, 2007, 10:48 PM
Completely switched means I use the OS in question for my general computer use, and only use other OS's for specific tasks, like work, web testing, virus programming, etc

n3tfury
October 22nd, 2007, 10:53 PM
say you've completely switched brands of shampoo. do you still use the other? no, you don't. "completely switched" means just that:

wholly: to a complete degree or to the full or entire extent

pretty simple, really.

wht_fool
October 22nd, 2007, 10:58 PM
i think you prefer using linux but you can still use other OSs but that is not your first choice

undine
October 22nd, 2007, 11:01 PM
I consider myself to have *almost* completely switched. I still have WinXP, but I only use it for playing games. I boot into Windows, play a game, then boot back into Linux. It's really not that much different from loading an Xbox or Playstation, really.

ticopelp
October 22nd, 2007, 11:06 PM
I think "completely switched" only carries meaning if the politics of open source are of importance to you. I'm a big believer in people using the tools that work for them, so if you need to log into Windows for a couple of things, then you do. I've managed to wean myself entirely off of Windows, but that's more because I hate dual-booting than anything else.

wht_fool
October 22nd, 2007, 11:10 PM
i think you prefer using linux but you can still use other OSs but that is not your first choice

n3tfury
October 22nd, 2007, 11:15 PM

say again?

-grubby
October 22nd, 2007, 11:25 PM
Not having a dependence on anything but Linux. For example games don't count as a dependence, your job does.

original_jamingrit
October 23rd, 2007, 04:26 PM
First I'd like to say that I do use Windows, if only to play some games that don't work in wine (I'm a baldur's gate junkie).

I voted "who cares", because you can be a total noob at GNU/Linux, even if you spend all of your free time using Linux and never Windows.

It's a matter of personal preference, but just because you've fully switched doesn't make you somehow better at Linux. It only means you have more opportunity to get better.