PDA

View Full Version : What if Google bought Ubuntu?

RAV TUX
October 22nd, 2007, 10:07 PM
With Yahoo's recent purchase of Zimbra, this could theoretically happen.

What if Google bought Ubuntu(Canonical), with the stipulation that Mark Shuttleworth would remain at the Helm?

igknighted
October 22nd, 2007, 10:12 PM
A sad, sad day for linux that would be...

Google does a lot of good things, for sure. But the thought of text-based ads all over my OS, or other google quirks would really annoy me. Besides, a lot of the appeal of linux is the "off the beaten trail" aspect, and google is simply too mainstream for many linux users to stomach.

MetalMusicAddict
October 22nd, 2007, 10:16 PM
Only benefit I could see would be the name. Then again, Google is much more recognizable. I just wouldn't see the point.

Anyway, I don't like to speculate. It only fuels gossip. Something we could use less of around here. ;)

MRiGnS
October 22nd, 2007, 10:23 PM
We would probably have another global player in the Linux world.

Next to Novell, IBM and Red Hat.

It would take some years to catch up though.

smoker
October 22nd, 2007, 10:30 PM
why would google buy a distro, when with their resources, they could quite easily bring out their own, or adapt another to suit?

and as stated above, who wants a distro full of ads?

MRiGnS
October 22nd, 2007, 10:33 PM

I really doubt even if they'd buy a distro they would put ads in it...

I don't think you would see any differences besides getting some more attention.

Ultra Magnus
October 22nd, 2007, 10:40 PM
If google bought ubuntu it would be massive for Linux in general, I'm sure they would have no problem get OEM deals and forcing hardware manufacturers to make Linux drivers so all linux users and developers would benefit.

It would however be the end of Ubuntu as we know it, its difficult to see how the whole community thing would work around a massive corporation - so I suspect allot of people would end up using something else while google ubuntu would end up like any other commercial OS.

PricklySponge
October 22nd, 2007, 10:42 PM
Then I would start using Fedora or something

Wiebelhaus
October 22nd, 2007, 10:43 PM
Ohh noes!! Borg has gotten to RAV_TUX!! he can no longer be trusted , We must deal with this.

lol j/k

n3tfury
October 22nd, 2007, 10:45 PM
i'd use it.

daynah
October 22nd, 2007, 10:46 PM
SABDLF will protect us, right?

DeadSuperHero
October 22nd, 2007, 10:46 PM
I'd still use Ubuntu, if they didn't close up the openness and didn't make it ridiculously proprietary.
Besides, it's Google. They already run most of my life, why not just give them the other bit as well?
Better to be ruled by Google than to put up with Windows.

MRiGnS
October 22nd, 2007, 10:50 PM
I'd still use Ubuntu, if they didn't close up the openness and didn't make it ridiculously proprietary.
Besides, it's Google. They already run most of my life, why not just give them the other bit as well?

They couldn't make it proprietary, the GPL and LGPL licenses used by many of the apps Ubuntu contains are very strict.

GPL code remains GPL, you can't close it anymore.

Ebuntor
October 22nd, 2007, 11:03 PM

I hope you're just kidding because that sounds really scary. :)

My biggest problem would be privacy concerns. Google isn't exactly know for respecting people's privacy, even if it all open source, I wouldn't use from a security standpoint.

LaRoza
October 22nd, 2007, 11:04 PM
Ubuntu would come up in searches more often?

ryanVickers
October 22nd, 2007, 11:09 PM
I don't know, I don't like it...

One good thing would be the immediate recognition - everyone in the world would know what Linux is within a month :p

jgrabham
October 22nd, 2007, 11:11 PM
RAV - do you ever think anything that you dont post?

:p

jk

jgrabham
October 22nd, 2007, 11:13 PM
SABDLF will protect us, right?

SABDFL not SABDLF :D

Anyhoo, wed get great publicity, and ads everywhere - byeee MS!!!

ryanVickers
October 22nd, 2007, 11:15 PM

jk

Posting everything you ever think has it's advantages - you never have to remember anything, just look it up - any time, any place! I'd be like having a HD in your head! :p

n3tfury
October 22nd, 2007, 11:27 PM
Posting everything you ever think has it's advantages - you never have to remember anything, just look it up - any time, any place! I'd be like having a HD in your head! :p

if you're looking it up on the internet how would it be like having an HDD in your head?

-grubby
October 22nd, 2007, 11:32 PM
I'd stop using Ubuntu

jgrabham
October 22nd, 2007, 11:33 PM
if you're looking it up on the internet how would it be like having an HDD in your head?

Well you cant fit the whole web server in your head.

n3tfury
October 22nd, 2007, 11:34 PM
so that makes your head "like a HDD"?

no.

ryanVickers
October 22nd, 2007, 11:39 PM

Are you trying to imply that you don't carry a telephone-network-internet enabled laptop everywhere you go!?!? Crazy person! ;) :p

n3tfury
October 22nd, 2007, 11:43 PM
nope. only implying that you made absolutely no sense.

undine
October 22nd, 2007, 11:49 PM
I think of Google and China, and I think 'bad idea.' If Ubuntu/Linux is about one thing, it's about freedom of information. Judging by their track record, Google does not prize this ideal very highly -- or at least, they're willing to put a price on it. For that reason, I don't think they would make good custodians of Ubuntu, or any other distro.

ryanVickers
October 22nd, 2007, 11:51 PM
nope. only implying that you made absolutely no sense.

well, if you right up everything you ever think, and carry a always internet-equip laptop everywhere like most normal people :p, then you would be able to recall everything you ever thought/did be just looking up your post on it! :p

NightCrawler03X
October 22nd, 2007, 11:56 PM
Google could not "buy out" the Linux kernel because it is GPL. It's development is controlled by users in the community.
The trademark for the Linux kernel is owned by Linus Torvalds, which is what Google would need in order to carry out such actions. Anyway, I doubt that sir Linus would sell it.

Though I assume that by "Linux" you mean not only the kernel, but also the GNU software accompanying it thats makes an entire Operating System. In this case, you are politically incorrect, because it's proper name is "GNU/Linux", and I advise that you call it that from now on, while encouraging others to follow suit. Most of your Operating System is GNU components from community contributors. These contributions have absolutely nothing to do with Linus Torvalds, as he just works on the kernel, so calling the whole thing "Linux" is both unfair and misleading towards others.
Linux is only 3% of your OS, the rest is a modified collection of GNU Free Software.

Read this article for more information:
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html

Though, Google could make their own GNU/Linux distro. But as they say, "when pigs fly".

Hehe, Google GNU/Linux, that would be funny.

Good day, sirs.

nonewmsgs
October 22nd, 2007, 11:57 PM
i was thinking about putting a memory stick in my head but i'm just nervous i'll forget everything as soon as i fall asleep.

hardyn
October 23rd, 2007, 12:13 AM
why would google buy a distro, when with their resources, they could quite easily bring out their own, or adapt another to suit?

agreed, it would not make sense for them to buy ubuntu... if they did not think that they could make a better on on there own from the ground up, it would we well within legal rights to fork ubuntu and start there... or simply make a google meta-package like CE. google did not get where they are by making back financial decisions.

tgrisier
October 23rd, 2007, 12:17 AM
I would switch to PCLinuxOS and mourn for Ubuntu.

samjh
October 23rd, 2007, 12:55 AM
It will become Googletoo.

RAV TUX
October 23rd, 2007, 12:58 AM

jk

well, if you right up everything you ever think, and carry a always internet-equip laptop everywhere like most normal people :p, then you would be able to recall everything you ever thought/did be just looking up your post on it! :p

You're exactly right, when ever I need to reference something I can just "Google" it. ;)

I actually think it would make perfect sense for Google to buy Ubuntu and for Mark to sell to them.

Take for example when Google started Google Video, then they bought the competition YouTube.

Even if they started their own Distro, they would still find it advantages to buy Ubuntu. It only makes good business sense. Ubuntu is the only marketable option out there to be bought up.

As far as will Mark sell? well everybody has their price and I am sure that Google is the only one that can pay the price.

I also believe it would benefit Ubuntu and Linux as a whole if Google bought Ubuntu.

I would still use Ubuntu, honestly not much would change except all the bugs would get fixed faster and Ubuntu could realistically become a better OS then it is today.

mivo
October 23rd, 2007, 01:04 AM
I would switch to Fedora, probably. Or maybe plain Debian. It's not that I have anything against Google, but I like "pluralism" and try to avoid depending on any single company for multiple services whenever possible. Google handles my web searches and my mail already, they don't also have to also handle my OS. :)

RAV TUX
October 23rd, 2007, 01:07 AM
I would switch to Fedora, probably. Or maybe plain Debian. It's not that I have anything against Google, but I like "pluralism" and try to avoid depending on any single company for multiple services whenever possible. Google handles my web searches and my mail already, they don't also have to also handle my OS. :)Even if it meant using another OS that became inferior after Google development made Ubuntu the best free OS that exist?

ryanVickers
October 23rd, 2007, 01:08 AM
perhaps someone should remove this so Google people don't get any ideas... ;)

Frak
October 23rd, 2007, 01:18 AM
Ubuntu would probably become a free web based OS. Paid members get no text ads while unpaid members have little text ads that scan your documents to come up with a reasonable advertisement. :P

EDIT
I'd just switch to MEPIS.

mivo
October 23rd, 2007, 01:25 AM
Even if it meant using another OS that became inferior after Google development made Ubuntu the best free OS that exist?

"Best" is relative, and it would still be Linux and open source, so whatever made it really good could be taken and used by others as well. I really enjoy Ubuntu and will of course stick with it, but I also looked some at Fedora and found that I could be just as happy with it if I had any reason to switch (which I don't -- but Google taking over would probably be one such reason). But hard to speculate on hypothetical scenarios! :)

The best thing about Ubuntu is the vision and community.

RAV TUX
October 23rd, 2007, 01:31 AM
perhaps someone should remove this so Google people don't get any ideas... ;)Someone at Google would probably get a raise for this idea. ;)

MRiGnS
October 23rd, 2007, 01:35 AM
hmm strange no one mentioned this :D

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b8/Goobuntu.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goobuntu

http://www.google.com/linuxrepositories/index.html

RAV TUX
October 23rd, 2007, 01:38 AM
hmm strange no one mentioned this :D

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b8/Goobuntu.png

http://www.google.com/linuxrepositories/index.html

I think if Google bought Ubuntu they wouldn't change the name.

Much like when they bought YouTube.

MRiGnS
October 23rd, 2007, 01:39 AM
I think if Google bought Ubuntu they wouldn't change the name.

Much like when they bought YouTube.

well, I don't think they'd change it either. I just wanted to point out that they already have an Ubuntu based distro for internal use.

mivo
October 23rd, 2007, 01:41 AM
Canonical already has and uses the "Gobuntu" name, so they'd probably chip it in. :D

RAV TUX
October 23rd, 2007, 01:42 AM
well, I don't think they'd change it either. I just wanted to point out that they already have an Ubuntu based distro for internal use.Good Point, it would only be natural for Google to buy Ubuntu and help propel Ubuntu to overcome bug #1.

NightCrawler03X
October 23rd, 2007, 01:54 AM
Wow. I was soo ignorant in my last post.

Hey, now that I've read about goobuntu, I saw somewhere that Mark Shuttlewood said that Google contributes to Ubuntu.
There was also rumour that google is working on a GNU/Linux desktop distro.

It would be awesome if they released it. Not what I would use it, i'm happy with my ubuntu, but just think, google is used all the time, it is one of the most used websites.

So the average Joe comes along and sees "Get your Goobuntu now, a free, ethical replacement for Microsoft Windows, FREE OF CHARGE".
With this in mind, think about Microsoft, the great Satan to free software. Think of the hard time it would be possible that Microsoft would face? Think of how that would boost popularity in GNU/Linux!

If that were to happen, it would totally make my day.

DeadSuperHero
October 23rd, 2007, 01:56 AM
If Google made their own Linux distro, it would be incredibly awesome, and great for publicity.
However, I'd wait for KDE4 or Topaz Desktop to get final releases before making a distro, if I were Google.

MRiGnS
October 23rd, 2007, 01:59 AM
Still personally I don't think Ubuntu would be a good acquisition for Google.
It's true that Ubuntu right now is the flavour of the month and many defend it like a religion, but it still lacks many thing the two big commercial brothers have.

It's not very stable, not very polished (I don't talk about artwork) and foremost there aren't many trained Ubuntu admins out there.

So I think making it more popular, what would happen with an acquisition would harm Google, as the costs would be very high.

The joint ventures they are having right now with many distributions contributing some patches is more likely to continue.

MRiGnS
October 23rd, 2007, 02:03 AM
With this in mind, think about Microsoft, the great Satan to free software. Think of the hard time it would be possible that Microsoft would face? Think of how that would boost popularity in GNU/Linux!

Sorry, to interrupt you but I wouldn't call Microsoft the Satan of free software.

Maybe Apple, lol, you can't produce any software/hardware closer than they do.

NightCrawler03X
October 23rd, 2007, 06:38 PM
Sorry, to interrupt you but I wouldn't call Microsoft the Satan of free software.

Maybe Apple, lol, you can't produce any software/hardware closer than they do.
Well, they hold the complete opposite views of the Free Software foundation; something that protects users rights.

So I'd say Microsoft is pretty evil if you ask me.

songshu
October 23rd, 2007, 07:44 PM
Google could not "buy out" the Linux kernel because it is GPL. It's development is controlled by users in the community.
The trademark for the Linux kernel is owned by Linus Torvalds, which is what Google would need in order to carry out such actions. Anyway, I doubt that sir Linus would sell it.

Though I assume that by "Linux" you mean not only the kernel, but also the GNU software accompanying it thats makes an entire Operating System. In this case, you are politically incorrect, because it's proper name is "GNU/Linux", and I advise that you call it that from now on, while encouraging others to follow suit. Most of your Operating System is GNU components from community contributors. These contributions have absolutely nothing to do with Linus Torvalds, as he just works on the kernel, so calling the whole thing "Linux" is both unfair and misleading towards others.
Linux is only 3% of your OS, the rest is a modified collection of GNU Free Software.

Though, Google could make their own GNU/Linux distro. But as they say, "when pigs fly".

Good day, sirs.

please get your facts together before putting RMS under your thread.

i assume you are still replying to the original post and i did not see any mentioning about buying anything other then Ubuntu or Canonical as you will,

AbredPeytr
October 23rd, 2007, 07:50 PM
May your mother wash your mouth out with soap for speaking such an idea ;-)

Hrm. Does that contradict my signature?

songshu
October 23rd, 2007, 07:57 PM
i don't think Google will considering bying it, Google will keep on concentrating on its applications and services since that is what they do and what they are good at.

However for example, the only reason Firefox is as populair as it is today is because of the advertising money spent by google in return for the google toolbar (there is more to that deal offcourse, but it is a point where mozilla had to sell a piece of their Free Soul)
so considering this, it is itself not a fair fetched option that google would start promoting a linux distro in return for that distro bundling Google applicatons, think this would only become profitable for google if for instance MS would start competing on Googles market share by bundling their own solutions by default with their OS

and if you think it, that will be a matter of time only.

Erunno
October 23rd, 2007, 08:09 PM
They couldn't make it proprietary, the GPL and LGPL licenses used by many of the apps Ubuntu contains are very strict.

GPL code remains GPL, you can't close it anymore.

Technically the copyright holder actually can switch licenses for a new releases, even make former GPL code closed source. If something like this happens this usually means that someone will have to take over the maintenance of the last GPL'ed version and this does not always happen. But thankfully the copyright for the code is usually distributed among many developers for many projects and therefore making relicensing difficult (but not impossible: See the BSD -> LGPL license switch Wine did after the WineX fiasco).

MattJD
October 23rd, 2007, 08:15 PM

What if Google bought Ubuntu(Canonical), with the stipulation that Mark Shuttleworth would remain at the Helm?

I highly doubt that would happen but anything is possible.

ThinkBuntu
October 23rd, 2007, 08:39 PM
If Google bought Ubuntu, it would be great for Google. Think about it: They add a browser of their own making with bookmarks (or even controls) to Froogle, etc. And Google would be the homepage, for sure. A performing OS gives Google the same power that's driven droves to use MSN and other so-so services, just because Microsoft always punted you there after a failed URL, as a homepage, etc.

Billy_McBong
October 23rd, 2007, 08:40 PM
i don't think Google would ever buy Ubuntu because although it is a large part of the Linux market share it is still a very small market of the overall market share
if they made there own distro(they would probably base it off Ubuntu) they would completely dominate the Linux market very quickly and Ubuntu wouldn't be much of a competitor

but if they did buy Ubuntu i would keep using it. i still use youtube and it has barley changed at all

Frak
October 23rd, 2007, 10:32 PM

Good day, sirs.
1. Get people to say GNU/Linux, good luck also, you'll need it.

2. This is about Google and Canonical, not Linus Torvalds

3. Torvalds has contributed to the Linux community in great ways, example: Git; Not apparent as a real big issue, but its very quickly becoming the De-Facto standard over SVN.

4. Google has created their own GNU/Linux and Ubuntu based distribution, called Goobuntu. Used internally.

science4sail
October 23rd, 2007, 11:04 PM
4. Google has created their own GNU/Linux and Ubuntu based distribution, called Goobuntu. Used internally.

Frak
October 23rd, 2007, 11:32 PM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1175/530284454_724a1ded77.jpg?v=0
Goobuntu login screen. Employees are free to use any OS they want.

Depressed Man
October 23rd, 2007, 11:36 PM
I thought Google was moving towards making everything web based anyway? That seems to be their trend at least with calendar, documents, etc.. heck even Scholar.

n3tfury
October 23rd, 2007, 11:47 PM
i for one do not want a web based OS.

Frak
October 23rd, 2007, 11:47 PM
i for one do not want an web based OS.
Slow, unruly, and does nothing to contribute you your privacy. I do not see it happening in the near future. It'll take a LONG time.

Depressed Man
October 23rd, 2007, 11:59 PM
Well I don't think Google's goal was to make an OS for public domain.. but rather make it not so dependent anymore.

A computer's OS usually ties you to the system. Yes, you can carry a laptop around with you, or carry documents or whatever on a flash drive. But in the end it's easier to go to whatever computer and just grab it off whatever Google's offering. With Google documents instead of having to open OpenOffice Writer or Microsoft Word you could create the entire document straight from Google Documents itself. Which means you could work on it anywhere (as long as the computer had an internet connection).

UbuntuniX
October 24th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Gubuntu. It already exists, anyway. Except it would be evil.

n3tfury
October 24th, 2007, 12:08 AM
Gubuntu. It already exists, anyway. Except it would be evil.

oh brother.

DouglasAWh
October 24th, 2007, 12:16 AM

I don't think you would see any differences besides getting some more attention.

agreed

antisocialist
October 24th, 2007, 12:49 AM
+'s
publicity
possible downfall of microsoft
faster bug fixes
more support
better support
more stuff compatible with linux such as:
games
programs
cellphones

-'s
ads:
text ads everywhere
no privacy
by hitting send before a bug gets fixed you could email grandma all ur erm.. "adult" content
web-based

note that should google buy ubuntu, these wont necessarily happen, they are just likely possiblities

RAV TUX
October 24th, 2007, 12:54 AM
I think if Google bought Ubuntu they would leave it exactly the same as it is.

When they bought YouTube they didn't make great changes.

They would have no need for a Web based OS and if they did that would be a separate project all together.

iPower
October 24th, 2007, 01:29 AM
Goodbye

n3tfury
October 24th, 2007, 01:30 AM
cya.

RAV TUX
October 25th, 2007, 04:29 AM
+'s
publicity
possible downfall of microsoft
faster bug fixes
more support
better support
more stuff compatible with linux such as:
games
programs
cellphones

-'s
ads:
text ads everywhere
no privacy
by hitting send before a bug gets fixed you could email grandma all ur erm.. "adult" content
web-based

note that should google buy ubuntu, these wont necessarily happen, they are just likely possiblities

I honestly don't think Google will fill Ubuntu with text ads.

Anyway the scenario in the OP was if Mark Shuttleworth would be kept at the helm.

If Mark had wanted to put ads on Ubuntu he would have done so already.

Nunu
October 25th, 2007, 06:19 AM
Wasn't Google looking at developing there own OS at one stage??

Sp4cedOut
October 25th, 2007, 06:25 AM
If Google filled Ubuntu with ads, people would stop using it. Google's not stupid, they're not going to buy an OS and kill it's market share.

RAV TUX
October 26th, 2007, 01:55 AM
If Google filled Ubuntu with ads, people would stop using it. Google's not stupid, they're not going to buy an OS and kill it's market share.
exactly

StitchJAcket
October 26th, 2007, 01:59 AM

I totally agree i mean the majority of the software google has brought to the table such as picasa and google earth has not had ads in it it simply integrates the use of the google search engine into the program.

Frak
October 26th, 2007, 03:59 AM
exactly
Google isn't dumb, if they want more market share, they wouldn't anger their own patrons.

RAV TUX
October 26th, 2007, 11:13 AM
I totally agree i mean the majority of the software google has brought to the table such as picasa and google earth has not had ads in it it simply integrates the use of the google search engine into the program.

Google isn't dumb, if they want more market share, they wouldn't anger their own patrons.

Both ring true, the intelligence of Google and it's founders is unmistakable this is the primary reason I can envision them acquiring Ubuntu.

CheshireMac
October 30th, 2007, 08:41 PM
I agree. And with Google Desktop being such a common application on all OS, it could lead to an interesting point to be used in persuading folks of usability. Plus, with the distribution of Dell PCs with Ubuntu installs, this may lead to further versions of Ubuntu to be more apt to handle file types out of the box . . .
For all we know, this could be such a movement that it topples Windows, and eventually the World. . . .or maybe Google will just make some nice wallpapers for us. :)

lzfy
October 30th, 2007, 08:48 PM
I think google would come up with a new packaging system for Ubuntu. One similar to the Windows installer and Apple's .app

st4rdr1ft3r
October 30th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Could change google so when you searched for "windows" it came up with:

`Did you mean "Ubuntu"?`

:-P

Gary_inNYC
October 30th, 2007, 09:11 PM
if Google bought Ubuntu, it would integrate with their direction as a service model, and inherit the strengths and weaknesses of that model. Whether Google makes money off of the venture will depend on how transparent they are in mixing open source technologies with their online services, since too much will turn away user-base, and good integration will be an added functionality and convenience.

a few things will happen:
if google bought Ubuntu, hypothetically, current software packages that are pre-installed with Ubuntu will be modified to their interests. as of now, typically when someone needs a package, synaptic, as well as outside forums and userbases will recommend what's available (preferably GPL'd), However; under Google ownership, they (corporate interests) will try to make it more convenient to use and install their software, at the same time, making it more difficult to use open alternatives. An example can be integrating Google's online office applications with desktop Office apps in Linux that was "free to modify and distribute", but only they will modify and distribute for the purpose of patenting their flavor of overall service.

If you really want to know the answer to what'll happen, look at what's happening now with M$ and Macintosh. (monthly service fees which we'll see more of, also integrated ad support, and licensing is their cash cow.)

Their profits will come from support, and from their integration into the OS, directing you to their own ad supported online services. Linux typically implies a figure it out yourself RTFM attitude, and under Google ownership, will change that (one can argue that is convenient), but at the same time, you will be at the mercy of their interests.

- Gary_inNYC

Frak
October 30th, 2007, 10:07 PM
I think google would come up with a new packaging system for Ubuntu. One similar to the Windows installer and Apple's .app
That would make it much easier to install malware. Not a good thing.

Also, some Distributions have tried to copy Windows and OS X. They aren't very popular for that reason. Because people don't want to use another Windows or OS X.

As for .exe/.msi files, .deb and .rpm do that just fine.

For .app, this would be very easy to accomplish, as .app files are just folders with scripts that tell OS X what to execute in what order.

But, as I stated at the beggining of this post, it just makes malware easier to install, and that's why it isn't used widely by Linux Distributions.

hkgonra
October 30th, 2007, 10:39 PM

That imho would be the shortest route to widespread linux adoption and FINALLY put linux in a position to compete with microsoft.
I bet it would also makes hardware and software makers warm up to linux.

snickers295
October 30th, 2007, 10:46 PM
well as long as Microsoft isn't in the picture, I'm OK with it because if Ubuntu was from Google, Linux would get more publicity and with the GPL, most everything would stay open source.

koleoptero
October 30th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Google won't bother with linux.

Yahoo is spreading thin with all the areas of technology they're devoting resources to.

scrooge_74
October 30th, 2007, 11:11 PM
In any case Google already runs its own flavor of GNU/Linux, if they got heavy handed with Ubuntu after taking over, users can go back to the roots of Ubuntu and use Debian.

Ioky
October 30th, 2007, 11:43 PM
I think if Google did that, they are stupid. haha, though it would help Linux to take over the world, only and only if Google wouldn't put any ads and any no sense thing to Ubuntu, however, what is the point of it, getting money from buying support from ubuntu? remember ubuntu will be always free.

Frak
October 30th, 2007, 11:47 PM
I think if Google did that, they are stupid. haha, though it would help Linux to take over the world, only and only if Google wouldn't put any ads and any no sense thing to Ubuntu, however, what is the point of it, getting money from buying support from ubuntu? remember ubuntu will be always free.
Just as dumb as Google's various other free services.

Google will always find a way to make money without being intrusive. They also would develop for Linux (a plus).

Also, if Google were to buy Ubuntu, they could charge for it.

r3m0t
October 30th, 2007, 11:48 PM
I don't think Google would buy Ubuntu, but I do think that they would do a scheme similar to Firefox. Firefox is earning millions when people click on Google ads after searching in Firefox.

RAV TUX
October 30th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Just as dumb as Google's various other free services.

Google will always find a way to make money without being intrusive. They also would develop for Linux (a plus).

Also, if Google were to buy Ubuntu, they could charge for it.People tend to forget how active Google already is in the Open Source and Linux community already.

Google Summer of Code is a prime example.

They are even active in the Ubuntu community as a former post pointed out.

master_kernel
October 30th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Hmm.... I'm not sure. Ubuntu probably would drift farther away from open source though.

RAV TUX
October 31st, 2007, 12:17 AM
Hmm.... I'm not sure. Ubuntu probably would drift farther away from open source though.I don't think thats possible.

Especially with Mark Shuttleworth at the helm

alan34
October 31st, 2007, 12:52 AM
Would the last person in the room please turn out the lights.

RAV TUX
October 31st, 2007, 12:58 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=48529&d=1193788664

GodsDead
October 31st, 2007, 01:08 AM
i was thinking about putting a memory stick in my head but i'm just nervous i'll forget everything as soon as i fall asleep.

ROFL

I wouldn't use a Google OS, i use everything else google, but i like to turn off the Google syncing with my life sometimes, i mean there trying to take so much!! too much privacy, your Google account if hacked, you would be squished lol

svtfmook
October 31st, 2007, 01:33 AM

well, a lot of people will soon have smartphones full of ads once google releases their free cell service.

inversekinetix
October 31st, 2007, 01:51 AM
i see loads of people saying they would quit ubuntu if google bought it. sounds like people are using ubuntu because it's 'alternative' rather than for its inherent qualities.

I doubt google would buy it anyway. they are more likely to develop a simple OS (i dont know the correct term) that lays over the main os. some pc manufacturers (especially laptops) have an option on startup, load an OS or a propriatory mini OS which will allow access to all your media with zero boot time. I think this is the route that google will take, a lightweight system that will allow you access to media, web and mail without having to ever start a full OS, they offer web based office tools and mail.

Can you imagine how many people wouldnt boot a full OS if all they did was web mail and office stuff.

GodsDead
October 31st, 2007, 07:13 PM
hey thats a good point, do yo uthink that the diaplsy would be something like "windows media center" or neros media center.. or something, TV card reader etc =]
This is a ausom duel boot idea!

oh and happy halloween all!

ch_123
November 1st, 2007, 12:28 AM
Depending on what they did with it, if they left it pretty much the same I'd use it. Otherwise I'd switch to Debian.

happysmileman
November 1st, 2007, 01:41 AM
I think it'd be great for Linux, we'd immediately start to see OEM deals and hardware support, and for that alone I'd love Google, even if that's not even their intention, it'd still happen.

I'd definitely try it out at first (well not on this copmputer, Gentoo is compensating nicely for deteriorating hardware quality) but if it started getting flilled with ads or anything else I'd stop... Anything more than changing default programs is too much...

bruce89
November 1st, 2007, 01:46 AM
For .app, this would be very easy to accomplish, as .app files are just folders with scripts that tell OS X what to execute in what order.

Guess what a Debian package looks like:

control.tar.gz = A load of scripts to execute before/after installation/removal
data.tar.gz = The data
debian-binary = Probably sets the correct MIME type.

Depending on what they did with it, if they left it pretty much the same I'd use it. Otherwise I'd switch to Debian.

Not a bad thing to do anyway.

peatrap
November 1st, 2007, 01:51 AM
then we call it:popcorn::guitar: GOOBUNTU.

kopinux
November 1st, 2007, 02:06 AM
the google os, goobuntu is more possible.

RAV TUX
November 1st, 2007, 02:19 AM
the google os, goobuntu is more possible.

Yes and No...this is why Google bought YouTube after it created Google Video.

Google has a history of buying out the competition...

Ubuntu as a trademark and has user recognition that is just too valuable. Google has the money to buy it.

I see it happening in two steps, Google comes out with it's flavor to test the market for itself, then they buy out the competition just as they have done with Google Video/YouTube. It only makes perfect business sense.

chameleonkid
November 1st, 2007, 03:22 AM
I think it could happen, and I think it would be a relatively good thing for Linux in general. They would obviously not put ads anywhere in it, because people would change distros asap. They might do what they currently do with searches though, promote their own products over others. Which, depending on the person, might not be so bad. Pure gmail integration? Pure maps integration? A google package like Open office maybe? Google apps and OS for phones and portable devices? Concerning Ubuntu, they probably wouldn't change too much for fear of backlash of this great community, which is the real reason for Ubuntu's success IMHO.
I wouldn't be surprised if any Google employees posted on this thread either. After they bought out youtube I think they are capable of anything.

Frak
November 1st, 2007, 03:48 AM
Guess what a Debian package looks like:

control.tar.gz = A load of scripts to execute before/after installation/removal
data.tar.gz = The data
debian-binary = Probably sets the correct MIME type.

Not a bad thing to do anyway.
Yes, but Debian packages are also tared (archived)
They also require many files and scripts in the debian/ directory to have it install and function.

Even though it's more standardized, .app files are easier to create.

kopinux
November 1st, 2007, 05:17 AM
just remember the name Mark Shuttleworth and all your fears will be eased.