PDA

View Full Version : Gutsy's Major Flaw

samb0057
October 22nd, 2007, 07:50 PM
Not to complain, I like Ubuntu alot and will continue using it, and continue supporting it. However I have noticed one major flaw with Gutsy. Bot a technical flaw, but a logical one.

I think that Ubuntu is picking up popularity enough that it's starting to move too fast to keep up with itself. Gutsy introduced features including compiz fusion by default, a graphical x configuration tool, integrated search features, fast user switching and much more.

This is great, but I think we should concentrate our efforts about 10% on new features, and 90% on making linux "just work". Most people use windows because it just works, and this is one of the major issues behind the slow adoption of linux on the desktop. Making our current applications stable, and reducing the need for the newly migrated Windows user to use the command line should be top priorities. A new user is not going to be willing to use the command line to fix their problems, and even the slightest hitch could send them back to Windows.

Personally, I have had no problems with gutsy (besides a small live cd issue), but I have a very high quality custom built computer, which I spent hours upon hours researching Linux hardware compatibility for. Most people don't have this, they have a pre-configured windows machine. I just hate to see what is in my opinion, a misguided focus of the community/developer's efforts. I want Linux/Ubuntu to do all it can to be spread as much as possible.

And again, I'm not whining, as I could not thank the Ubuntu developers enough for the fine product they are providing. Just my thoughts on the matter, as I'm reading alot of posts by people having technical problems with gutsy.

mikewhatever
October 22nd, 2007, 07:54 PM
Are you suggesting Ubuntu developers concentrate their efforts on trying to support every possible graphics or sound or another card there is? Ubuntu does just work on supported hardware, but it is the job of the manufacturer to provide that support.

Circus-Killer
October 22nd, 2007, 07:55 PM
thats why there are LTS (long-term support) releases available.
use a LTS release, and you will get the stability you desire, whilst not getting the new software. sounds exactly what you want.

PartisanEntity
October 22nd, 2007, 08:04 PM
Please remember a point that was mentioned; in the world of Linux we have developers doing their best to make good and stable operating systems, while on the other hand hardware manufacturers have had differing responses. Some bother to make Linux drivers or applications while the majority haven't.

Many of the issues users are facing will cease when hardware enough manufacturers make decent Linux drivers.

samb0057
October 22nd, 2007, 08:06 PM
No I know that's up to the manufacturer, I mean just making sure that the everyday applications work correctly. I had problems with the live CD, and then I had problems with Compiz Fusion. I was able to fix them, but I am a web designer, I've been working with computers and linux/unix for years. If any of my non computer-savvy friends were to have these problems, they would probably give up and return to Windows at the first sight of the command line.

Are you suggesting Ubuntu developers concentrate their efforts on trying to support every possible graphics or sound or another card there is? Ubuntu does just work on supported hardware, but it is the job of the manufacturer to provide that support.

samb0057
October 22nd, 2007, 08:10 PM
Definitely true. I wasn't specifically referring to the hardware, but the software. I don't know how big of a factor hardware compatibility is with the software bugs i've experienced.

Also, the more stable the software is in general, the more users will migrate to Ubuntu. This will contribute greatly to hardware compatibility, making reliability even easier to achieve.

Please remember a point that was mentioned; in the world of Linux we have developers doing their best to make good and stable operating systems, while on the other hand hardware manufacturers have had differing responses. Some bother to make Linux drivers or applications while the majority haven't.

Many of the issues users are facing will cease when hardware enough manufacturers make decent Linux drivers.

samb0057
October 22nd, 2007, 08:11 PM
But is an LTS release necessarily more stable, or just supported for a longer period of time?

thats why there are LTS (long-term support) releases available.
use a LTS release, and you will get the stability you desire, whilst not getting the new software. sounds exactly what you want.

argie
October 22nd, 2007, 08:17 PM
No I know that's up to the manufacturer, I mean just making sure that the everyday applications work correctly. I had problems with the live CD, and then I had problems with Compiz Fusion. I was able to fix them, but I am a web designer, I've been working with computers and linux/unix for years. If any of my non computer-savvy friends were to have these problems, they would probably give up and return to Windows at the first sight of the command line.

This is where you come in. Report the bugs. Good luck!

John.Michael.Kane
October 22nd, 2007, 08:18 PM
But is an LTS release necessarily more stable, or just supported for a longer period of time?

LTS releases are suppose to be more stable, and supported longer with security updates,however this does not mean there will not be any issues.

The stability of any Distro or OS for that matter will be based on the programs used, and the end users hardware.

samb0057
October 22nd, 2007, 08:19 PM
I've just recently started doing that.

I am a web developer, however I have only basic experience with any traditional compiled programming languages. Does anyone know of anything I can do to contribute as a PHP/XHTML/CSS developer?

This is where you come in. Report the bugs. Good luck!

DoctorMO
October 22nd, 2007, 09:01 PM
There are a number of issues, one seems to be the confusion that ubuntu is somehow one single product under the command of an authority that loves reading ubuntu forums.

The truth is that ubuntu is only as good as the source packages it has to work with plus a whole heap of integration work done by the canonical and launchpad folks to make more things just work then a cobbled together linux would.

Now there are tools which launchpad manages, and some programmers on here (these forums) but mostly a lot of the tools you should be making your voices heard in the right communities and to the right people.

As for features, well programmers esp volunteers will work on what ever they see fit and don't tend to pander to the tastes of some ethereal idioledgy too much. This also means that you can't often move a bunch of programmers from one project (compiz) onto other projects such as open office, the skills and drive is just different.

Dragonbite
October 23rd, 2007, 02:05 PM
I'd say Ubuntu is on the right track.

The core 20% is running very well (or Ubuntu wouldn't be getting good reviews and be as popular as it is).

The 80% includes single-shot items with a small user base (less development manpower), hardware-reliant apps (lack of vendor support) and possibly ill managed projects.

Canonical has been getting more clout and is dealing on a corporate level with companies that can make a difference (i.e. Dell) which I believe will have a snowball effect.

So Ubuntu's on the right track, growing and keeping relevant while trying to maintain high standards of usability, juggling community and corporate needs and pushing where needs to be pushed.

igknighted
October 23rd, 2007, 02:26 PM

If your non-tech-savvy friends tried to install windows they would be FAR more lost, unless they somehow lucked out and their devices were recognized out of the box, which is not often. The real challenge is how do you expose people to linux, so when they buy a new PC they are aware of the choice to use windows or linux. Once they are aware they have a choice, you might see linux OEMs take off. But until then, your average technically illiterate user simply won't use linux because he/she won't install any OS, be it windows or linux.

wesley_of_course
October 23rd, 2007, 02:55 PM
" But until then, your average technically illiterate user simply won't use linux because he/she won't install any OS, be it windows or linux. " ;

Well put , thats it in a nutshell !

igknighted
October 23rd, 2007, 03:01 PM
" But until then, your average technically illiterate user simply won't use linux because he/she won't install any OS, be it windows or linux. " ;

Well put , thats it in a nutshell !

There are two ways to tell if someone is a programmer fairly easily on the forums... statements ending in semicolons and numbered lists starting at zero :)

bruce89
October 23rd, 2007, 03:47 PM
0. Ubuntu themselves do very little writing software;
1. People like new features;
2. Developers like writing new features in contrast to fixing bugs;

brk3
October 23rd, 2007, 03:55 PM
Without reading all the other posts Id like to say: mine does 'just work' :)