PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Ubuntu 7.10. You've saved my laptop!

Chaz_UK
October 22nd, 2007, 05:00 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums although I've had an account from previous Ubuntu attempts but i wanted to post about how pleased i am with 7.10 and how much its done for my laptop.

I've got 2 computers indoors.

1st is my Desktop,
Core 2 Duo E4300 @ 2.5GHz
ATi X1900 GT 256MB
2 GB Ram

2nd is my Laptop. (Dell Inspiron 6400)
Centrino Duo T2050 (1.6GHz)
ATi X1300 Hypermemory
1 GB RAM.

I've been running Vista since launch on my laptop and have bee unhappy with the performance with it on both my desktop and even more so on my laptop. I saw at Digg that someone submitted the release of 7.10 and thought "I hardly use my laptop, what the hell' and downloaded the CD Image through bit torrent.

I burned and popped the disc into my laptop and lo and behold the wifi worked on my Inspiron... Great i thought. I then installed 7.10 which went seamlessly and was up and running with a fresh install within 30 mins. I installed the restricted ATi drivers and got Compiz working and was amazed that this little laptop which was slow with Vista was racing along with an OS that not only is free, it is completely usable after a fresh install. No CD's to find for installing apps, minimal driver installations and a little searching on the forums to get compiz working.

I was already a firefox user in windows and it was instantly familiar to install my extensions and have FF set up as it is on my windows machine.

I then had a problem. The person who normally uses my laptop is my wife and would she find this new OS to alien for her to use? She didn't.

I showed her quickly the applications menu and how to add games and she was installing and trying games within minutes. This is coming from someone who always asked me what to do with Windows.

Overall I'm extremely pleased with Ubuntu 7.10 and have not put my laptop down since installing it. It's new (for me), it's fresh and it's fast.

Sadly i wont be migrating to Ubuntu on my desktop as i use it as a media center PC and my xbox360 as an extender but Ubuntu is here to stay on my laptop.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this fantastic project and thanks for giving me a fast laptop again.
:)

Denn1s
October 23rd, 2007, 06:10 AM
good news everithing worked well, its good your wife wasnt afraid of a new OS, something similar happens with my mom, she finds terrifing to press a button named start, then all programs, then firefox, i mean wath is a firefox in any case? an animal?, its much more confortable for many people who dont knw about computers to press applications -> internet -> firefox web browser, want to play? applications -> games, its just about waths familiar and waths efficient

Nunu
October 23rd, 2007, 06:15 AM
Always good to know of more people who is happy with this awesome OS Great to hear that and hope you have many more wonderful experiences ahead of you

TeaSwigger
October 23rd, 2007, 06:26 AM
Glad to hear a success story, both for you and the Mrs.

It's amazing isn't it, to think how many people must be tossing computers for the dump when there's quite probably a version of linux out there that'd have it working again and better than ever, for free. But folks just don't know. It's all about the money-oriented world. Or in the words of a former neighbor of mine, "Yer needs winders ta werk yer compewter. 'less it's a apple."

Sadly i wont be migrating to Ubuntu on my desktop as i use it as a media center PC and my xbox360 as an extender but Ubuntu is here to stay on my laptop.

Actually that need not stop you; just bear it in mind for later on down the road for if / when you're feeling a notion to dive in and get grease on your hands so to speak ;)

Nunu
October 23rd, 2007, 06:37 AM
Glad to hear a success story, both for you and the Mrs.

It's amazing isn't it, to think how many people must be tossing computers for the dump when there's quite probably a version of linux out there that'd have it working again and better than ever, for free. But folks just don't know. It's all about the money-oriented world. Or in the words of a former neighbor of mine, "Yer needs winders ta werk yer compewter. 'less it's a apple."

Actually that need not stop you; just bear it in mind for later on down the road for if / when you're feeling a notion to dive in and get grease on your hands so to speak ;)

Imagine that Xbox360 on a Linux box. low blow to the Bill :D

misfitpierce
October 23rd, 2007, 06:40 AM
Good to hear.