PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft to carry out EU ruling

Johnsie
October 22nd, 2007, 04:31 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7056288.stm

will this have any advantages for Linux?

Johnsie
October 22nd, 2007, 04:49 PM
"Further, Microsoft will cut the price it charges for worldwide licenses and patents to less than 7% of previous levels. "

Does this mean the price of Windows will go down or just the price of licensing the patents?

sanderella
October 22nd, 2007, 04:53 PM
Ah you beat me to it! Good news, let's hope they will comply with all the demands of the EU commission.

Johnsie
October 22nd, 2007, 04:56 PM
I think we both know they probably wont :-)

Hopefully they wont release some watered down information and try to pass that off as compliance.

Anessen
October 22nd, 2007, 04:59 PM
Microsoft as an organisation opposes Open Source. They want to be able to point at Linux et al when there is a court case and say "LOOK! COMPETITION! NO MONOPOLY HERE!". Therefore, helping the Open Source community out some is beneficial to them, as long as they don't give enough information away so that it actually does benefit us.

thx11381974
October 22nd, 2007, 05:30 PM
Microsoft as an organisation opposes Open Source. They want to be able to point at Linux et al when there is a court case and say "LOOK! COMPETITION! NO MONOPOLY HERE!". Therefore, helping the Open Source community out some is beneficial to them, as long as they don't give enough information away so that it actually does benefit us.

They give Apple help for the same reason.

Kimm
October 22nd, 2007, 07:01 PM
Creepy!

I just heard this on the radio when I noticed this thread :shock:

Good news though.