PDA

View Full Version : Have you tried Nomachine's NX client/server?

n3tfury
October 22nd, 2007, 02:28 AM
if so, thoughts? i don't like to install things like this unless i hear real user feedback. i figure a few of you have tried or still use these apps. the reason i'm interested in nomachine is because i've read that they're quite a bit quicker than say, VNC or alternatives.

LanDan
October 22nd, 2007, 02:47 AM
have tried FreeNX a while ago, wich is based on the same liraries and YES, it works a lot beter then VNC or any other alternative. its the only one i got to work as it should from China to Europe

i'm actually thinking about buying the full blown NoMachine server version next year (the boss is paying anyway) ;)

n3tfury
October 22nd, 2007, 06:58 PM
thanks LanDan, i'll take a look at FreeNX also. anybody else?

shad0w_walker
October 22nd, 2007, 07:03 PM
I had it setup on my server about a year back and it works beautifully. Best performance i have seen out of a remote desktop tool. I managed to work quite happily on my server from my college I have low upload speed so most RDP programs just crawled along.

I'd give you a more up to date opinion but i haven't set it up again because my need for it disappeared and my servers main drive died about 6 months back now.

n3tfury
October 22nd, 2007, 07:06 PM
I had it setup on my server about a year back and it works beautifully. Best performance i have seen out of a remote desktop tool. I managed to work quite happily on my server from my college I have low upload speed so most RDP programs just crawled along.

I'd give you a more up to date opinion but i haven't set it up again because my need for it disappeared and my servers main drive died about 6 months back now.

thanks for your reply. did you use FreeNX or the others?

shad0w_walker
October 22nd, 2007, 07:29 PM
If memory serves i was using FreeNX. The only issue i had was that the newer 'offiicial' No machines client doesn't like connecting on windows unless you use a older version of it.

LanDan
October 22nd, 2007, 07:33 PM
If memory serves i was using FreeNX. The only issue i had was that the newer 'offiicial' No machines client doesn't like connecting on windows unless you use a older version of it.

i remember that one, had to use the 1.5 instead of the 2.0 version, which wasn't a big hassle.

i would say try both, nomachine has a "free" version as well for limited amount of users i think, if its just for your personal use you might as well try that.

if you look for FreeNX you have to look for them in the seveas repositoryś

katgfan
October 22nd, 2007, 08:52 PM
I am using nomachine's nxserver for 6 months now and im quite satisfied with it. Its quite stable for me and i only have 512M of memory. But i feel works better with gnome than xfce.

Here is a sample view of my desktop from a windows client.

Sporkman
October 22nd, 2007, 08:59 PM
Yep, I use the free versions, works perfectly - in full screen mode, it's as if you're sitting right at the machine itself.

n3tfury
October 22nd, 2007, 10:42 PM
awesome, thanks guys. i'll be trying them both out. they sound like they're worth my time.

gregcss
December 22nd, 2007, 03:26 PM
I installed the client, node, and server (i think) on my ubuntu pc. i could not figure out how to launch the nxserver to configure it. i searched nomachine's site but couldn't find what i was looking for.

stalker145
December 25th, 2007, 05:08 AM
I installed the client, node, and server (i think) on my ubuntu pc. i could not figure out how to launch the nxserver to configure it. i searched nomachine's site but couldn't find what i was looking for.

Your server is already configured. Everything will run off of port 22 by default (I really haven't looked to see if config changes are possible) and username/passwords will come straight from your installation.

I wondered the same thing when I first installed a few weeks ago. I just ran a test and everything "just worked" :D

kevdog
December 25th, 2007, 06:16 AM
God help you however if the freenx server crashes during the connection. If it does, and you dont have access to the server to clear out the sessions files, you wont be able to reconnect.

Where is the best tutorial to find setup of either FreeNx or NoMachine with Gutsy?

stalker145
December 26th, 2007, 03:22 AM
Where is the best tutorial to find setup of either FreeNx or NoMachine with Gutsy?

You can find the files and the "tutorial" on the NoMachine site (http://www.nomachine.com/download-package.php?Prod_Id=5). To sum it up, download the client, node, and server debs and install them in that order.

The End.

Really, it's that easy ;)

I don't know about FreeNX. I stopped when I found NoMachine.

gregcss
December 28th, 2007, 10:03 PM
So after i install i dont need to start any programs on the server PC? I will be connecting from 2 different networks