PDA

View Full Version : i'm not so wild about konsole

fuscia
October 22nd, 2007, 01:29 AM
i installed kubuntu gutsy and i'm loving it (was thinking about sidux). there are a couple of things i could do without (amarok, kaffeine, kontact, adept), but there's a lot i really like (konqueror, k3b, kmplayer, kstreamripper, kdegames, etc.). lately, i've noticed things i don't like about konsole. one thing that irritates me is the restricted number of fonts it uses (what's up with that?), so i've been using urxvt (which i love) instead. i was able to add it to my panel with all my little arguments (no scrollbar, tinted just the right shade and whichever damn font i want). trouble is, i haven't figured out how to add it to the right-click menu with all my special instru...hey, wait a minute! if i add it to the regular menu, i can add it that way. we'll see..

anyway, fire away on konsole. maybe i'm missing it's finer qualities.

-grubby
October 22nd, 2007, 01:48 AM
I thought they were all more or less pretty much the same....I guess not

fuscia
October 22nd, 2007, 01:54 AM
I thought they were all more or less pretty much the same....I guess not

i'll bet you think all aspirin's alike.

Dark Aspect
October 22nd, 2007, 02:11 AM
i'll bet you think all aspirin's alike.
I for one do think all aspirin's alike.........

lol

picpak
October 22nd, 2007, 02:17 AM
What bugs me most about konsole is that I can only choose between light transparency and dark transparency. No refinement at all.

fuscia
October 22nd, 2007, 02:20 AM
What bugs me most about konsole is that I can only choose between light transparency and dark transparency. No refinement at all.

you can actually alter those in 'configure konsole' and save them as different schemes. seems a bit too many steps for something that should be simple. xfce4-terminal handles that the best, in my experience.

igknighted
October 22nd, 2007, 02:23 AM

You sure can adjust the transparency, look at the screenie attached

RAV TUX
October 22nd, 2007, 02:25 AM
Konsole works fine for me but I haven't experimented much beyond Konsole, what are all the options?

p_quarles
October 22nd, 2007, 02:25 AM
Nonsense. You can choose both the opacity level and the color to which it shades. Relevant screenshot attached.

The fonts are limited, though. Doesn't bother me at all, since I like my terminal to look like a terminal, but it's a fair complaint.

: Igknighted simul-posted the exact same point, and the same screen.

Response to fuscia: Look closely at the screenshot(s), and I'll believe you'll notice both a slider and a palette.

fuscia
October 22nd, 2007, 02:26 AM
it's still a lot more trouble than it should be. what's wrong with having a slider and a palette? this schema crap is the worst thing about konsole, for me. maybe the kde development team should turn dolphin into a terminal emulator.

Ireclan
October 22nd, 2007, 02:27 AM
I, like nathangrubb, thought they were all pretty much alike. The only reason I avoid Konsole is that it has this annoying bug where, if you try to set two different backgrounds- one for normal users and one for root- it makes it to where whenever you invoke Konsole, it always wants your root password. This is on PC-BSD, though. Not sure if Linux Konsole has the bug.

fuscia
October 22nd, 2007, 02:28 AM
Konsole works fine for me but I haven't experimented much beyond Konsole, what are all the options?

gnome terminal, xfce-terminal, rxvt, rxvt-unicode, eterm (if you want whacky), a-term and a bunch of others. mrxvt, if you need tabs...etc.

RAV TUX
October 22nd, 2007, 02:30 AM
gnome terminal, xfce-terminal, rxvt, rxvt-unicode, eterm (if you want whacky), a-term and a bunch of others. mrxvt, if you need tabs...etc.

Enterminus (http://www0.get-e.org/Resources/Applications/System/Enterminus/) looks cool perhaps I will try this.

picpak
October 23rd, 2007, 02:20 AM
You sure can adjust the transparency, look at the screenie attached

Ok, so I can't move my eyes to the right. :rolleyes:

I still don't like the whole thing about schemes though.

fuscia
October 23rd, 2007, 02:37 AM
Ok, so I can't move my eyes to the right. :rolleyes:

I still don't like the whole thing about schemes though.

i agree. i'm done with it. i've got urxvt in my kde right-click menu, all's right with the world.

whit
October 25th, 2007, 07:37 PM
rxvtI'm a long-time rxvt user. I put a button in the Panel something like: rxvt -rv -sr -g 150x50 (or whatever geometry, and perhaps specify a font).

It works fine on many Linuxes, including KDE on Gentoo. But KDE on Kubuntu has a mismatch in terminal codes that ends up not present all text highlighting and special characters correctly, messing up some of the screens. What's the most direct route to rectifying that?

What I like about rxvt is it's light-weight, thus fast. And I don't want tabs. I'd rather just have a few independent terminal sessions over a few desktops.

whit
October 25th, 2007, 07:39 PM
urxvtWhat package is urxvt in?

fuscia
October 25th, 2007, 08:05 PM
What package is urxvt in?

sudo apt-get install rxvt-unicode

urxvt to run it. http://linux.die.net/man/1/urxvt