PDA

View Full Version : What happened?

Pablo Mouzo
October 21st, 2007, 08:13 PM
First, sorry about my English, is not my first language, I hope you understand what I mean.

I'm an Ubuntu user, Ubuntu is the first distro of Linux I've ever used.

I'm disappointed with the last release, something is wrong here. I'm having lots of problems with the Desktop Effects (Compiz Fusion I think), problems with the configuration (I set something and random things happens), it works really bad. So I was wondering... Am I the only one with problems? No... Some friends of mine had the same problems. It's really integrated with the "system", I try to use Beryl instead and I fail.

But, this isn't what disturb me. If there really are big problems with this effects, why put them in the release? Are you trying to drag people to Ubuntu by giving them shiny mirrors and fancy desktop effects? That's disturbing.

If you are trying to add lot's of functionalities, they must work first!
( In Spanish sounds better: "Si desean agregar funcionalidades, primero tienen que funcionar!! ^^ ).
I want my computer to work fine. If I have to choose between it working just fine so I can use it, or spend hours configuring some fancy add-on... I choose it working fine.

Please, don't loose the linux way. Don't try so hard to put things that have problems into the distro to make it fancy. Don't release a distro that's no ready, that could be really harmful to Ubuntu and it could lose lots fans for just a few good intended but silly mistakes.
You know what happens when something has a lot of shiny things but works like hell ( Yes, I'm talking about Wista ;) ). People use it for a few days, cry, curse and looks for other options. And in Linux world, there are lots of options. So please, KISS ( Keep It Smooth & Simple ).

Saludos,
Pablo Mouzo.

-grubby
October 21st, 2007, 08:16 PM
actually Gutsy has worked fine for very many people. In my thread here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=585320), at least

LanDan
October 21st, 2007, 08:20 PM
its true what you say, but remember the 6 monthly versions can be considered testing versions of new technologies, it might work for most but no guarentees.

if you want something really stable and stick with ubuntu then choose the LTS version, that one is geared more towards stability instead of new features

LanDan
October 21st, 2007, 08:22 PM
p.s.

KISS means keep it simple stupid.

Pablo Mouzo
October 21st, 2007, 08:25 PM
p.s.

KISS means keep it simple stupid.

I know, but that way is a little harsh, I like the smooth & simple version.

Don't take it wrong. I really like Ubuntu, I use linux thanks to Ubuntu because 6.06 and 6.10 was really simple and worked really good. I've been using 7.04 for the last 6 months without problems. And it was very shocking to have this problems with my favorite Desktop distro.
That's all.

conehead77
October 21st, 2007, 08:34 PM
I'm having lots of problems with the Desktop Effects (Compiz Fusion I think), problems with the configuration (I set something and random things happens).

Looks like you installed the compiz settings manager? Somewhere i read they didnt install it by default because only the stable effects made it into 7.10.

You can always turn effects off if they cause problems. I read your post twice and you only say desktop effects are causing problems, so i guess everything else (-> not eye candy) is working well.
Not too bad ;)

salsafyren
October 21st, 2007, 08:42 PM
If you have lots of problems with compiz, just turn it off.

I agree with you though, that they shouldn't have put it in. Only put in when it's ready.

Also, I think it is a bit naive to go head-to-head with Windows - that's what's bug #1 is about. It sends out a signal "Ubuntu is a replacement for Windows".

Ubuntu does almost no upstream work and that's why I find this attitude ridiculous. Put some money in doing usability work, heavy QA directly in Gnome and then we can talk.

rookie_paul
October 21st, 2007, 08:45 PM
I think both Pablo and LanDan are right. Perhaps, if the non-LTS version has to be considered more like a test version, Ubuntu should clearly point it out. For example, the update manager should warn the user about this. In my opinion, at present, it seems to suggest that upgrading is a risk-free operation. And, alas, this is not alway true...

LanDan
October 21st, 2007, 08:48 PM
I think both Pablo and LanDan are right. Perhaps, if the non-LTS version has to be considered more like a test version, Ubuntu should clearly point it out. For example, the update manager should warn the user about this. In my opinion, at present, it seems to suggest that upgrading is a risk-free operation. And, alas, this is not alway true...

think you are right when i see the number of newbies taking the plunge without taking any pre-caution.
there should be a little more warnings.
if it would have helped after they see a cube on youtube is another question ;)

original_jamingrit
October 21st, 2007, 08:53 PM
I haven't really noticed anything special about Gutsy so far. Before, with compix fusion on Fiesty I was unable to use Totem or xine properly without first disabling desktop acceleration. Now I can see them a bit better, but not by much. I'm running on a three year old laptop with intel graphics, so I didn't get my hopes up too much, anyways. So, I may try to either strip down Gutsy a little, or rollback to the last LTS. It was a nice effort, but it doesn't quite work for everyone.

By the way, I think I like Keep it Smooth and Simple better than Stupid, too.

distroman
October 21st, 2007, 10:37 PM
I think compiz is a good addition to the desktop and makes for a very slick interface.
Also I find the way the developers integrated compiz with gutsy very nice, better then anything I had imagined.

I do agree that maybe it should not be turned on by default, especially at this point in time, maybe not at any point in time.
For now I believe I got the with “black window” bug with the current version 0.6.1 something I think is fixed in the with the latest git. I am sure it will get better but as now I consider it kind of broken.

Anyway you can always turn it off or remove it completely so I don't see compiz as a problem at all.

sdowney717
October 21st, 2007, 10:44 PM
Any of my problems with linux are always related to the video drivers.

It is my only issue, Ican only hope ATI gets out some decent drivers soon.
They seem to be behind, no release for amonth.

distroman
October 21st, 2007, 10:53 PM
Ohh, yes I should add that the “black window” bug as fare as I know is driver related. Still as fare as I know, again, this bug it gone with the latest compiz git and latest nvidia drivers.
Maybe someone could elaborate on that?

regomodo
October 21st, 2007, 11:20 PM
I know, but that way is a little harsh, I like the smooth & simple version.

It is keep it simple stupid. There are no other versions

Pablo Mouzo
October 22nd, 2007, 01:33 PM
It is keep it simple stupid. There are no other versions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle

Thanks all of you for your answers and opinions.
I've turned off Compiz and it's working fine so far.

Saludos,
Pablo Mouzo