PDA

View Full Version : Beginner to Bittorrent client?

aberadam
October 21st, 2007, 08:03 PM
I've never done any programming, I barely know what C++ is, but I'd like if it's possible to write a bittorrent client.

Is it even within the bounds of possibility to do it given I don't want to dedicate years or months to it? I believe 'libtorrent' is the guts of a lot of Linux bittorrent clients, and 'GTK' can be used to create a GUI to sit on top.

Is there some sort of path I could follow that would enable me to create a bt client? What things would I have to learn?

CptPicard
October 21st, 2007, 08:20 PM
It really depends how good you want it to be. Bittorrent clients are a dime a dozen, and to be competitive with them is going to take effort... and considering you're a complete beginner, that means you will have to spend a lot of time learning programming in general.

I'd recommend you start with something really simple first... like a command-line version of a BT client. Learn to link to the library, parse a .torrent, manage the transfer, display some kind of progress information... move to building a GUI when you're comfortable with that.

aberadam
October 21st, 2007, 08:28 PM
I'd like it to be really good, I'm dissatisfied with the clients available for Linux: Azureus crashes on me; Deluge unstable downloading; Transmission missing useful features.

A command line one? Mmm, I like the idea of a GUI but you've gotta start somewhere it's true.

Basic terminology and overview of software structure is probably where I need to begin with.

Thanks.