PDA

View Full Version : best version of Ubuntu

-grubby
October 21st, 2007, 07:29 PM
what version of Ubuntu worked (or works) best for you?

Dual Cortex
October 21st, 2007, 07:35 PM
So far there's been no better experience than the Gutsy experience.

-grubby
October 21st, 2007, 07:41 PM
*bump*

Lster
October 21st, 2007, 07:43 PM
Gutsy... I had no problems with either Feisty or Gutsy.

zach12
October 21st, 2007, 07:43 PM
Dapper!

RAV TUX
October 21st, 2007, 07:49 PM
Gutsy Gibbon 7.10 before that, hoary hedgehog 5.04

-grubby
October 21st, 2007, 08:03 PM
most people seem to like Gutsy.

misfitpierce
October 21st, 2007, 08:06 PM
My baby Gutsy Gibbon

Henaro
October 21st, 2007, 08:08 PM
Kubuntu Breezy.

My first distro. I still have the CD of it :D.

Billy_McBong
October 21st, 2007, 08:12 PM
probably gutsy
but i have been using Ubuntu since breezy and have never had any major problems that i didn't cause myself

PatrickMay16
October 21st, 2007, 08:14 PM
Dapper worked the best for me, but hoary is my all-time favorite.

RAV TUX
October 21st, 2007, 08:14 PM
Gutsy Gibbon 7.10...

Sspecifically e17 CVS in Xubuntu 7.10

-grubby
October 21st, 2007, 08:19 PM
at least one vote for each one now

BLTicklemonster
October 21st, 2007, 08:24 PM
I came in right at the end of Hoary, and upgrading could at times be a nightmare, but all have been excellent, each building on the successes of the others. While I am concerned at the decision to have compiz enabled when one reaches the desktop due to all kinds of problems that could arise and run people off, I worked around them, and have gutsy working just fine.

To me, though, the thing that makes Ubuntu easier to deal with is the excellent support from the community. Hey, if I can come here and find a way to make networking with windows computers work, or a way to make my mouse buttons work, why has this not been addressed and implemented in Ubuntu so that each of these things work out of the box? And why did an upgrade kill my networking with windows boxes? I tried so many different things to get it working that I don't remember exactly what it was that got it working this last time, but my samba config file is still there just like it was before. Yet no networking.

I am glad, however, that there is a failsafe for upgrades killing video drivers. That was a definite must do from the first edition!

I run two hds with ubuntu, and one with xp, all on dual (treble?) boot here, so that I can always be able to transfer data from a messed up ubuntu to the good one if necessary. I urge anyone who runs beta test versions to do this at all times if they have the necessary space. Oh, and I have two drives for just storage, too, so I ought not to ever lose anything unless I just dummy out and forget to move stuff. Which I have. :)

Arathorn
October 21st, 2007, 08:40 PM
Edgy was the nicest surprise after the buggy Dapper, so I voted Edgy. Feisty and Gutsy are off course a little better and I don't doubt Hardy will be even better, but I hold the fondest moments of stability with Edgy, even though that one was supposed to be unpolished.

bigbrovar
October 21st, 2007, 08:52 PM
i started my ubuntu experience with feisty ..so i voted it ..am still checking out gutsy though ..so far its been awesome

isaacj87
October 21st, 2007, 08:55 PM
Feisty...hands down...

I've run into some serious hardware regressions in Gutsy that weren't there in Feisty...

I just don't understand how a newer kernel can cause regressions...:(

NeoLithium
October 21st, 2007, 08:58 PM
Gutsy. So far it was the smoothest install I've had; even with the dual boot it was quick and painless.

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 21st, 2007, 09:02 PM
Gutsy is the first version that I didn't have to spend hours and hours modifying files to get it working. I didn't have to open an editor or terminal window to get it working.

I thought I found a bug because it said I had 2 Pentium 4 3.2GHz processors, I checked, and it was right. :o

After some bugs get fix I'll start recommending Gutsy to friends.

bapoumba
October 21st, 2007, 09:17 PM
Dapper worked the best for me, but hoary is my all-time favorite.
Nothing to add :)

Bachstelze
October 21st, 2007, 09:29 PM
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/268/style3breezyrf6.png

xc3RnbFO8P
October 21st, 2007, 09:39 PM
This is not a poll about your favorite Ubuntu, it is about love!

Feisty Fawn.

PurposeOfReason
October 21st, 2007, 09:42 PM
I have no problems with Fiesty and I tried to upgrade to Gusty once, it broke everything. Did a clean install of Gutsy but Fiesty is still my baby. Probably won't upgrade until 8.04.

roachk71
October 21st, 2007, 09:47 PM
I'd have to say Feisty Fawn, but not the x86-64 version:

I've noticed a slowdown in the 64-bit Feisty compared to 32-bit, so I'm using 32-bit now. The thing that vexed me the most about the former is that the nVidia driver from the repos didn't work, while it does in the standard version.

In both cases, I had to build the RT73 driver from source, but I've grown accustomed to that and the CLI by now. :)

I'm also waiting until the next LTS version before upgrading...

Lster
October 21st, 2007, 09:55 PM
As I think I said, every version of Ubuntu I have tried has worked. The first version to work really well was Feisty. It was amazing. Full resolution, 3D acceleration, supported my duel core, and my web camera (I think... but I can't remember that long ago ;)). That was also around the time I got broadband - it did and still does work better than Windows Xp for me.

Feisty was a big deal for me; Gutsy just the cherry on top!

init1
October 21st, 2007, 09:55 PM
Feisty. Gusty has problems on my computer.

dada1958
October 21st, 2007, 10:05 PM
Dapper ... everything just worked fine.

Baby Boy
October 21st, 2007, 10:07 PM
Gutsy Gibbon 7.10. I have only tried Feisty before though.

Incense
October 21st, 2007, 11:07 PM
Breezy and Dapper both worked better then any other release on my hardware. Still run dapper on my desktop.

darksong
October 21st, 2007, 11:13 PM
I am much much happier with this release than of any of the others. Unlike the other releases i am not getting any strange errors, its not breaking with updates and its not breaking with its own installers. (restricted manager) It also installs on this system which is a huge bonus =) (witch feisty would not do, or broke straight after install)

I also like the way everything feels more integrating with this release. I feel that the devs have done a nice job with integrating compiz-fusion and their own tools into the OS. The new artwork is also very nice.

So far nice job - gives me faith in ubuntu again :)

jrusso2
October 21st, 2007, 11:50 PM
I vote other, the best version of Ubuntu is Linux Mint.

-grubby
October 22nd, 2007, 01:44 AM
I vote other, the best version of Ubuntu is Linux Mint.

Mint doesn't count....it's not an official Ubuntu release

-grubby
October 22nd, 2007, 05:40 AM
*bump*

jarvis13
October 22nd, 2007, 07:02 AM
Dapper most definitely, never had any problems
Edgy was so buggy and ridiculous I couldn't even install it.
Feisty was alright.
Gutsy is up there with Dapper in my opinion, but I can't get anything USB to automount! GRR!

-grubby
October 25th, 2007, 12:21 AM
*bump*

tyggna1
November 8th, 2007, 06:12 AM
I've had a lot of issues with Gutsy so far.
I like it, on my portable it was a godsend (Wireless finally works!!!)
On my home server, mreh. I've had issues with the Java compiler and just about everything else (it won't even install anything any more, and it's a wonder that it stays connected to the internet at all). I didn't have any of those problems when Feisty was on it--so I pick Feisty. I'll probably love Gutsy in a few months.

The Noble
November 8th, 2007, 06:23 AM
Gutsy has been real hit or miss for me. On my laptop, the install was really smooth and compiz works better than ever, but the wireless connection has been really patchy (it's broadcom though, so that's okay). My desktop was another story; it has some of the worse regressions I have ever seen (not going to bother explaining, but it was definitely not my fault). Probably the only thing I hate about Gutsy is it's kernel. I have actually compiled a new one for each of my computers (3) due to the random lag that pops up frequently*. This is the first release I have wished I had bug reported. But I digress, I voted Feisty.

*as an aside, this has only been seen on one of the three systems.

undoIT
November 8th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Gutsy by far. I've tried several different distros and versions of Ubuntu. This is the first one that I felt comfortable ditching Windows as my primary OS.