PDA

View Full Version : Do You have mscorefonts installed?

MeganMcD
October 21st, 2007, 07:10 PM
Hello Ubuntu-ers,

I'm working on a massive lists of fonts installed by various operating systems and I'm wondering how common it is for Ubuntu users to have mscorefonts. I'd appreciate it if you could help me out and let me know if you have it installed.

If you don't know, check to see if you have Verdana or Georgia available. If you do, you have mscorefonts.

P.S. This is my first post and I hope I haven't posted it in the wrong forum! It didn't seem to go anywhere else :)

Paul820
October 21st, 2007, 07:12 PM
Is that you Bill? Are you going to do us for using your fonts?:lolflag:

ajgreeny
October 21st, 2007, 07:53 PM
I have masses of fonts installed, many copied over from various windows programs I installed in my winXP days. Some of them were needed to keep the formatting in large documents I first made in windows and then copied over to ubuntu. It was a PITA to keep reformatting so I just decided to get all the fonts I had, far more than I need but they don't seem to slow up a system these days as they used to.

Phil Airtime
October 21st, 2007, 07:58 PM
Yes, yes, yes. I need msttcorefonts to be able to browse the web without wincing at the iffy replacements for Georgia and Trebuchet. Even this Ubuntu-operated website uses the fonts.

-grubby
October 21st, 2007, 07:59 PM
nope

BigSilly
October 21st, 2007, 08:00 PM
I did install them ages ago when I first put Feisty on the PC. I got rid of them almost immediately. I just prefer the look of the free ones in Ubuntu. No other reason, be it zealousness, militancy, or otherwise. ;) :D

Billy_McBong
October 21st, 2007, 08:03 PM
i did before i installed gutsy and will probably install them again soon(along with other fonts)

Spr0k3t
October 21st, 2007, 08:17 PM
Nope. The free ones are fairly decent and as an added bonus, I don't have to see that comic sans font.

bashveank
October 21st, 2007, 08:36 PM
Nope, then again I think I may be incapable of telling one font from another, so it doesn't really matter for me.

jrusso2
October 21st, 2007, 08:38 PM
The Redhat Liberation fonts work just as well as the microsoft ones. Just need to convert the rpm with alien to .deb if you can't stand to use Microsoft fonts.

bonzodog
October 21st, 2007, 09:16 PM
As above, I now use Redhats Liberation fonts which ARE in the Ubuntu repo's, as well as being packaged for my other distro, Zenwalk. This site looks really sharp using Liberation Sans, with the font hinting set-up properly.

steveneddy
October 21st, 2007, 09:33 PM
Yeah - I have msttcorefonts installed and few more of my favorites that I got from my XP disc. I love Tahoma.

:popcorn:

HermanAB
October 21st, 2007, 09:58 PM
Well, the people that don't have either the MS or Redhat fonts are usually the ones to wail that OOo document conversions don't work and that they are gonna go back to ******* because OOo makes their docs look funny - boohoo, waaah...

So, it would probably be a good idea for all Linux distros to install at least one of those by default.

Cheers,

Herman

iPower
October 21st, 2007, 11:11 PM
don't have them and never will

MeganMcD
December 19th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Thanks everyone for your feedback! The list of fonts has been published, you can find it here:

Complete Guide to Pre-Installed Fonts in Linux, Mac, and Windows (http://www.apaddedcell.com/web-fonts)

Hopefully this will make it easier for web designers to make sites that look good on Linux too :) Others have published similar references but they never bother to include Linux :(

By the way, if anyone runs other distros and has a list of fonts available on them I'd appreciate it if you could send them my way :) (either post here or in the forum discussion linked to the article). Or you can email me from either forum.

Thanks again!

daynah
December 19th, 2007, 04:53 PM
(deleted)

qazwsx
December 19th, 2007, 04:57 PM
For Wine purposes. I try to avoid m$fonts elsewhere.

aaaantoine
December 19th, 2007, 05:20 PM
I have them installed, primarily for a sense of familiarity... I've only been using Linux for a few months, you know.

smartboyathome
December 19th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Miraculously, I have NEVER installed mscorefonts on my computer in my whole experience with Ubuntu. I can get away with just openoffice (it simulates the core fonts for me, as they aren't actually listed but I can type in their name and get a similar font ;)).

bruce89
December 19th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Do You have mscorefonts installed?

No, I have the msttcorefonts (apt:msttcorefonts) installed, but I never use them (why would LaTeX do that anyway).

prodigalson666
December 19th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Nope dont want or need them.

Arathorn
December 20th, 2007, 03:20 PM
I do have them installed, but I never use them. IMO the fonts for Linux like Liberation and DejaVU are just as ugly as the standard MS fonts. Actually yesterday I did find two rather nice fonts (Legendum and Garogier (http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~slam/fonts/fonts.html)), although they're not yet finished. I'll keep an eye on them for the future. I'm using Legendum for my UI now.

GSF1200S
December 20th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Is that you Bill? Are you going to do us for using your fonts?:lolflag:

+1

Magnes
December 20th, 2007, 03:32 PM
I have them installed and I use Georgia a lot in PDFs (Gentium is better, but Scribus doesn't want to embed it). I'll try Redhat Liberation fonts some day.

SunnyRabbiera
December 20th, 2007, 03:55 PM
yes, but mainly for wine

FuturePilot
December 20th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Don't need them, don't want them, don't have them.

laxmanb
December 20th, 2007, 06:26 PM
I'm using Windows XP right now. Make a guess!

macogw
December 20th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Nope. I do all papers and lab reports using LaTeX (so with Computer Modern), and when I do fliers in OOo, I prefer the Liberation fonts. Liberation Serif is much nicer than Times New Roman. It has these very nice sharp, squared-off serifs. They look so much nicer than Times New Roman's rounded serifs. Since the Liberation fonts are the same size as MS ones, I just convert the files I get in those to the Liberation ones, and the formatting is perfect.

Iehova
December 20th, 2007, 09:13 PM
As much as I don't actually like it, I need Times New Roman on a regular basis for some work I do. Aside from that, I generally avoid msttcorefonts fonts because I don't much like them...

rune0077
December 20th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Have them, love them (or at least love Tahoma), would never consider using anything else.

koleoptero
December 20th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Don't need them, don't want them, don't have them.

+1

new2*buntu
December 20th, 2007, 09:38 PM
I use the Liberation Fonts that come with Linux Mint.

wijit
July 16th, 2011, 08:41 AM
As the poll shows, this issue is not nonsence. Statistically, if really large proportion said they want then it means they want even though some of them might just only show their emotion. I think we should be open our heart wide when talking crossing the earth. If you think only English is the only language on the earth, that is the saddest thing isn't it. I fell in love with Ubuntu after the first month of using it. I used MS products before Windows was given birth. MS spreads its market and killed rivals by putting itself under local cultures all around the world. It was long enough for non-technical laymen to get use to using it. For some localities it was accepted as part of their everyday life. I did not say I love Windows. I have to be with it because I have no choice. Linux in its early stage was very expensive in terms of costs of knowledge seeking. It's free for purchasing but user, especially those who use other languages, have to pay substantially in terms of time and effort and in economics world they can be valued as money. Now I use Ubuntu both for work and leisure. My own computer has only Ubuntu as a sole OS. However, it is a must that the computer at my office has to run Windows along with Ubuntu because the DVR system which runs on Linux but sends out ActiveX control to users and only IE can communicate. Back to fonts issue, 99.9% of people I have to communicate directly and indirectly with use Windows. 99.99% of organisations use Windows formally for documentation. There are many ways to solve font conflict problems. OOo can substitute fonts in MS Office documents with its own machanism no matter you install Windows fonts or not. However, if you download a Windows based file with non-English filename from an internet site, you need to have Windows system fonts installed or you can't read the filename. Sorry for a long wording. I'd like Ubuntu people to be Ubuntu. I love to be in rational world. I love Ubuntu.

Elfy
July 16th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Superbatmannecromancing.

Old thread closed