PDA

View Full Version : Virtualbox looks like hell in Gutsy!

derekaug
October 21st, 2007, 06:21 PM
So just got Gutsy going and all set up like I like... and not I find that Virtualbox looks like crap, see photo attached for what I'm talking about. Any ideas at what the problem could be?

BTW, I am using the nvidia driver.

bodhi.zazen
October 21st, 2007, 06:37 PM
LOL, that is certainly a matter of opinion. What is wrong with it ?

You could always give feedback to innotek

anonymous_x
October 21st, 2007, 07:45 PM
I'm yet to try it out .. . hope it works fine for moi!

UbuWu
October 21st, 2007, 09:15 PM
Install qt3-qtconfig and change the font settings to whatever you like to make it look better.

Chazall1
October 21st, 2007, 10:23 PM
My Virtual Box on Gusty looks like its running at a different resolution? Its all oversized. Its works, but is difficult to using the Virt Manager, and configuring-because of the size issue.

Jose Catre-Vandis
October 21st, 2007, 11:49 PM
So just got Gutsy going and all set up like I like... and not I find that Virtualbox looks like crap, see photo attached for what I'm talking about. Any ideas at what the problem could be?

BTW, I am using the nvidia driver.

I have the same problem, on an ATI card, and seamless is acting a bit odd too. (no desktop effects enabled, although it behaved the same with them on.) Accept it has something to do with QT, but what?

sloggerkhan
October 21st, 2007, 11:52 PM
It looks like it's missing some some qt- stuff. Scribus looks that ugly (or worse) on my machine.

Jose Catre-Vandis
October 22nd, 2007, 12:17 AM
OK, it can be sorted out by doing what UbuWu said.

Install as follows:

sudo apt-get install qt3-qtconfig
then in a terminal

qtconfig
Click on the fonts tab
Change font to your preference (I used verdana) and set font size to 10
(or leave on F500 and change font size to 10)
File > Exit
Start up Vbox, and it should look a lot better :)

jsully1
October 22nd, 2007, 08:52 PM
Dear lord thank you - I was hit with this as well.

Ralphie
October 22nd, 2007, 11:47 PM
But thats not the only thing that is wrong with VirtualBox, I am having problems beyond it looking terrible.

It seems to work somewhat fine, but i am having problems installing Adobe CS3 now. this was not a problem when i was using ubuntu 7.04.

I get the same error that i would if i were trying to install CS3 without Service Pack 2 installed. something about it cant find the installer or something.

If anyone has info on possible fixes to get this program running as it should again, please respond.

thanks!

Jose Catre-Vandis
October 23rd, 2007, 11:20 AM
But thats not the only thing that is wrong with VirtualBox, I am having problems beyond it looking terrible.

It seems to work somewhat fine, but i am having problems installing Adobe CS3 now. this was not a problem when i was using ubuntu 7.04.

I get the same error that i would if i were trying to install CS3 without Service Pack 2 installed. something about it cant find the installer or something.

If anyone has info on possible fixes to get this program running as it should again, please respond.

thanks!

Is it looking for the eula.dll ?Yuou can find this file pretty easily on the net, donwload it and place it in your home or install directory. Worked for me with CS2

Ralphie
October 23rd, 2007, 06:03 PM
Is it looking for the eula.dll ?Yuou can find this file pretty easily on the net, donwload it and place it in your home or install directory. Worked for me with CS2

thank you for the reply, i will download that file when i get home, where should it be placed? the system32?

I'm not sure if the problem is the same as yours but i will try it.

this is the exact message I get while trying to install:

"Setup has encountered an error and cannot continue. Contact Adobe Customer Support for assistance.

The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

I looked on some windows forums, and they had help for people with this problem, and i tried what they said, but i feel like it has more to do with the way VB works under ubuntu 7.10, because none of the tutorials helped.

Jose Catre-Vandis
October 24th, 2007, 12:23 AM
If memory serves me right, I had to unpack the ISO, copy all the files over onto the VM and start it up from there. You could try copying the ISO to your hard drive and mounting iton the VM?

mikeytag
October 24th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Hey everyone. I had the same problem and have expounded on the fix outlined above. If you want to get your qt windows (virtualbox, hp, etc.) do the following:

sudo apt-get install polymer qt3-qtconfig

Then from a terminal run

qtconfig

In the resulting window choose Polymer as your theme, then click the Fonts tab and set your Family to Sans Serif and the Point Size to 9.

Close the window and click Yes to save your changes.

Then simply quit and reopen any of your qt apps. Mine look darn close to the way they did in Feisty. :) Polymer was the ticket on this one, the description in Synaptic for it says the following:

Port of the KDE style "Plastik" depending on Qt only
Polymer (formerly known as Plastique) is a port of the KDE style
"Plastik", which does not depend on any KDE libraries. This means, that
you only need Qt 3.x to make your Qt applications look as if you had KDE
installed.

Currently only the multi-threaded version of the Qt library is supported.

Jose Catre-Vandis
October 24th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Nice work Mikeytag - polymer does the job well

jespdj
October 25th, 2007, 05:42 PM

So you are using Ubuntu 7.10 as the host OS, but what's your guest OS? Win XP SP2, or Vista?

I have just installed Photoshop CS3 in a virtual machine running Win XP SP2 as the guest OS. No problems.

How much main memory and video do you have assigned to the guest OS? I've set it to 1024 MB / 64 MB. CS3 needs a minimum amount of 512 MB main and 64 MB video RAM, so you need to set the memory settings of your VM to at least those numbers.

I'm using VirtualBox 1.5.2.

Ralphie
October 26th, 2007, 07:34 AM
So you are using Ubuntu 7.10 as the host OS, but what's your guest OS? Win XP SP2, or Vista?

I have just installed Photoshop CS3 in a virtual machine running Win XP SP2 as the guest OS. No problems.

How much main memory and video do you have assigned to the guest OS? I've set it to 1024 MB / 64 MB. CS3 needs a minimum amount of 512 MB main and 64 MB video RAM, so you need to set the memory settings of your VM to at least those numbers.

I'm using VirtualBox 1.5.2.

Thank you so much for the reply, both here, and I assume also on the VirtualBox forums (as Gomez).

After your suggestion, I took a look and saw that I only had 40MB of Video RAM dedicated to the VM. After bumping it up I had no problem installing CS3.

I guess it was just by luck the first time around that I set the RAM beyond Adobes minimum :D

well thanks again, I am busy updating every post I made about the issue on different forums with your tip for anyone else who may run into the problem.

kasulstyls
October 26th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the fix with the look of Virtualbox!

pointone
October 29th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Agreed. This should be a sticky somewhere...

Thanks bunches!

Cochise
October 29th, 2007, 06:22 PM
thanks for the fix did the job nicely

Twintop
October 29th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Fixed my display issues too. Thanks!

david.rahrer
October 31st, 2007, 02:42 AM
Very nice solution, thanks!

VON_CAPO
November 1st, 2007, 06:09 PM
Hey everyone. I had the same problem and have expounded on the fix outlined above. If you want to get your qt windows (virtualbox, hp, etc.) do the following:

sudo apt-get install polymer qt3-qtconfig

Then from a terminal run

qtconfig

In the resulting window choose Polymer as your theme, then click the Fonts tab and set your Family to Sans Serif and the Point Size to 9
Superb fix.

Thanks a lot. :)

=D>

By the way, this thread should be marked as [SOLVED]

vexorian
November 1st, 2007, 06:38 PM
I hope ubuntu devs learn from this and follow this blueprint: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/human-theme-for-qt-and-kde/

KOld Iron
November 1st, 2007, 08:56 PM
Thank you, too. Basically a minor issue, but in a way annoying, when you have Compiz running and then you are faced with such an interface of an application :???:

sloggerkhan
November 2nd, 2007, 06:57 AM
Thank you.

freackout
June 18th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Thank you.

i'm stuggling to get broadcom 4318 up in virtual box though it works fine on the lappy, dont have connection for broadcom 4318 but other cards are displayed for some reason. though i'm not sure if it was ok in 1.6 not 1.6.2