PDA

View Full Version : Why rename GAIM to Pidgin?

r.hall
October 21st, 2007, 06:00 PM
This has been bothering me for a few months.

For the love of god, who's stupid idea was it to change Gaim's name to Pidgin?!

It's the ugliest freaking name ever, and the icon that accompanies it is even worse.

-grubby
October 21st, 2007, 06:01 PM
I like the name Pidgin, but I think it has the ugliest icon in the history of the universe.

Wiebelhaus
October 21st, 2007, 06:01 PM

It's the ugliest freaking name ever, and the icon that accompanies it is even worse.

I agree , but it works so w/e.

x0as
October 21st, 2007, 06:03 PM
They had to change the name, I don't really care what its called.

Phil Airtime
October 21st, 2007, 06:05 PM

AIM wasn't happy with the Gaim name, so they changed it to Pidgin.

It's quite a clever name, all things considered. Nice package, too. I still use Feisty, so it's still Gaim for me.

Steveway
October 21st, 2007, 06:06 PM
They had to change it because AOL owns the copyright of the name of it's AOL-Instant-Messenger - AIM.
So to not get sued by AOL they changed the name.

Ireclan
October 21st, 2007, 06:08 PM
I think Pidgin is a clever name. Haven't seen the icon, though, so I can't comment on that.

Henaro
October 21st, 2007, 06:09 PM
I like the little purple pidgin icon.... I think it's cute (ī・ω・`).

r.hall
October 21st, 2007, 06:15 PM
I think Pidgin is a clever name. Haven't seen the icon, though, so I can't comment on that.
http://www.pidgin.im/shared/img/logo.pidgin.png
It looks like it has a crippling disease.

FuturePilot
October 21st, 2007, 06:45 PM
It looks like it has a crippling disease.

I love that icon! I like the name too. I actually didn't like the name Gaim.

Ireclan
October 21st, 2007, 06:51 PM

Wow...I'm going to channel my inner highschooler on this one and say: "That bird looks queerer than a three-legged ballerina.".

Anessen
October 21st, 2007, 06:54 PM
But it's cute! Also, who's to say that is a male pigeon?

-grubby
October 21st, 2007, 06:59 PM
But it's cute! Also, who's to say that is a male pigeon?

how can you call that cute? No offense, but I think its about as cute as a dump truck

Wiebelhaus
October 21st, 2007, 07:02 PM
I want to kill it , it looks like a purple george jones.

http://www.freighttrainboogie.com/ImagesAlbums/jones-g-1.jpg

those eyes , like a rabbit that's about to bust a foot.

Steveway
October 21st, 2007, 07:06 PM
The only fact that bothers me on that pidgeon is that it has no tail.
That makes it look strange, also it could look a little bit friendlier.
But it's definately better than the old logo.

M$LOL
October 21st, 2007, 07:09 PM
Why is Pidgin such a clever name?

Ireclan
October 21st, 2007, 07:38 PM
Ever heard of MESSENGER Pidgins?

p_quarles
October 21st, 2007, 07:48 PM
No need for the sarcasm.

Obviously it's a pun on the idea of a messenger pigeon (note the spelling), but it also refers to "pidgin" language (again, note the spelling) which is a kind of regional or cultural dialect based upon another language. For instance, Jamaican English is often referred to as "Pidgin" English.

The joke is that IMers themselves have developed a fairly extensive pidgin language -- lol, ur, iirc, and so forth.

LanDan
October 21st, 2007, 07:52 PM
it also fits in nicely with the other birds from mozilla
also with the obvious new ubuntu heron comming up....not even to forget the penguin

mor birds anybody?

Phil Airtime
October 21st, 2007, 08:01 PM
Once you're signed into Pidgin, you don't even see the purple icon. You see a speech bubble with a green dot to show you're online.

http://www.adiumx.com/images/logo.png http://www.pidgin.im/shared/img/logo.pidgin.png

Could they be related?

Henaro
October 21st, 2007, 08:05 PM
The joke is that IMers themselves have developed a fairly extensive pidgin language -- lol, ur, iirc, and so forth.

idk if ur rite s0 i wll go ete sum supe k?

do u watn sum supe 2? or do u watn sum crakerz lololmaorofl myob?

Lucretius
October 21st, 2007, 08:05 PM
Pidgin is clever as it's "English", only a trans language/region version of it.

It mirrors the cross compatibility of the software

Polygon
October 21st, 2007, 08:08 PM
another reason for choosing a pidgin was that it was related to a bird....so now there is Pidgin, Finch (the text version) and Adium (the mac os x port)

and i like the icon....although i think it would look a bit better if the bird was skinnier and had a tail

Billy_McBong
October 21st, 2007, 08:08 PM
the icon that is actually used is just the head and that looks fine
i also like the name much more than gaim

RAV TUX
October 21st, 2007, 08:19 PM

I use Kopete instead.

sudo apt-get install kopete

Polygon
October 21st, 2007, 08:29 PM
using a different im program because you dont like the programs icon which you dont even SEE unless you go to the programs homepage is the stupidest thing ive ever heard of.

RAV TUX
October 21st, 2007, 08:32 PM
using a different im program because you dont like the programs icon which you dont even SEE unless you go to the programs homepage is the stupidest thing ive ever heard of.
I use a different program because I like Kopete better functionally.

I actually like both the name and the icon of Pidgin very much.

raul_
October 21st, 2007, 08:33 PM
I thought pigeons were used to deliver messages. I think it's clever

Pigeons have made contributions of considerable importance to humanity, especially in times of war. In war the homing ability of pigeons has been put to use by making them messengers. So-called war pigeons have carried many vital messages and some have been decorated for their service. Medals such as the Croix de guerre, awarded to Cher Ami, and the Dickin Medal awarded to G.I. Joe have been given to pigeons for their service.

From Wikipedia

Lunixfanboy
October 21st, 2007, 08:35 PM
For the love of Mike! GAIM was renamed because of lawsuit pressure from AOL-TimeWarner. This pressure held up development for almost a year (GAIM 1.5 for nearly a year with no updates, anyone?) And pidgin was chosen because it is the language of Papua-NewGuinea, a mixture of French, English and local tongue http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tok_Pisin, all of which was provided by the GAIM website folks when they finally settled the lawsuit earlier this year.

LookTJ
October 21st, 2007, 08:37 PM
It was because of the settlement between AOL and the lawsuit. GAIM. AIM is a trademark of AOL.

CaptainTux
October 21st, 2007, 09:50 PM
Di like I did and change the icon to look like the old one. ;)

toupeiro
October 21st, 2007, 09:56 PM
Personally, I think the icon rocks. It looks like one of the Goodfeathers! :lolflag:

HermanAB
October 21st, 2007, 10:01 PM
Why? 'Cause carrier pidgins carry mail? Yo, mama...

n3tfury
October 21st, 2007, 11:54 PM
worst name ever (except for maybe goat), and i HATE pidgeons with a passion. flying rats.

tdrusk
October 22nd, 2007, 02:23 AM
At least the mascot looks better than the farting mascot of songbird

Crashmaxx
October 22nd, 2007, 02:44 AM
At least the mascot looks better than the farting mascot of songbird

ROFL! I hadn't seen that before. How did it end up like that?

Anyway, Pidgin is a great name. It is rather clever with the bird and the actual meaning. I think the icon is pretty cool. I was disappointed when I saw the taskbar one was a bubble instead. Really, GAIM is pretty crappy, I mean it has become a lot more then an AIM client for Gnome.

RAV TUX
October 22nd, 2007, 02:47 AM
At least the mascot looks better than the farting mascot of songbirdI love the Songbird mascot! :)

especially this image (http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/3950/crossplatformyo0.png).

tdrusk
October 22nd, 2007, 03:36 AM
I love the Songbird mascot! :)

especially this image (http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/3950/crossplatformyo0.png).

meh. I hate the farting.

For some reason it discusts me and makes me not want to use songbird (other than it being bloated)

RAV TUX
October 22nd, 2007, 03:47 AM
meh. I hate the farting.

For some reason it discusts me and makes me not want to use songbird (other than it being bloated)
I actually never thought of it as expelling flatus but a bird in motion...

FYI Songbird is faster then Firefox, in fact only Opera is faster then Songbird.

HermanAB
October 22nd, 2007, 05:27 AM
Well, think how bloated Songbird would have been if it wasn't farting!

kiddo
October 22nd, 2007, 05:47 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pidgin (this is about the language)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pidgin_%28software%29#Naming_dispute (this is about the software, Pidgin)

Can we close this thread now?

What's done is done. And I personally like the new name and icon and design direction. They can't please everyone. Read various posts on planet.pidgin.im (http://planet.pidgin.im/) and see how people who rant are truly demoralizing.

If you don't like the name, this is open source, you can change the source and/or fork it.

RebounD11
October 22nd, 2007, 06:39 AM
Why close the topic? I laughed my *** off reading it :))

Still wondering how would the name 'goat' fit for an IM... and since some people don't like the name what name would U have given instead of Pidgin?

I would have named it Soacra (Romanian for Mother-in-law) cause that's my girlfriends mother talks to me most :D

kiddo
October 22nd, 2007, 01:38 PM
well I would surely have given it an ubuntuish name (like hoary hedgehog, but worse) to annoy half of the slashdot readers :popcorn:

PartisanEntity
October 22nd, 2007, 02:01 PM
Some of you put way too much fuss into names. Granted, I would be worried if they had decided to call it Tool For Talking To Friends, Relatives and Employees and Doing Other Things Good Too.

But seriously, who cares? As long as developers put more effort into development instead of names, brands and marketing, I'm happy.

derekr44
October 22nd, 2007, 02:40 PM
I've noticed an increase in the use of animals to name open source software projects. Were any hurt during the process?

sayuki288
October 22nd, 2007, 02:42 PM
where'd you got the funny looking birds?

sayuki288
October 22nd, 2007, 02:46 PM
i don't have any problems about pidgin's

they're cool animals :lolflag:

Bungo Pony
October 22nd, 2007, 03:41 PM
When I first saw the "pidgin", the first thing that popped into my mind was the yellow bird on this album cover:

http://www.bizarrerecords.com/galleries/dance/EmeraldsBird.jpg

tdrusk
October 22nd, 2007, 05:53 PM
Well, think how bloated Songbird would have been if it wasn't farting!

lmao

true_friend
October 22nd, 2007, 05:59 PM
I am concerened with its customization quality as compared to Kopete. User has not even option to change the font, which irritates when default font does not display other languages. I do not care of name...it works fine on windows for me but linux version should be improved...

phrostbyte
October 22nd, 2007, 06:11 PM
I use Pidgin, Firefox, Songbird, Thunderbird, Sunbird, Fink, and Goat

mysticrider92
October 22nd, 2007, 06:35 PM
I havenīt read this whole thread, but I had a question about it. If Gaim had to change its name, why is naim (basically a CLI version of Gaim) still using the aim part? Is it just so small of a project that AOL hasnīt noticed it?

I donīt really care much about the name change, and it actually is a well thought of name. The icon could use some work though...

[edit] Oh, I just noticed Polygonīs post. But, Naim is still installed under that name. Odd..

derekr44
October 22nd, 2007, 09:37 PM
I use Pidgin, Firefox, Songbird, Thunderbird, Sunbird, Fink, and Goat

/reported to animal activists

:lolflag:

M$LOL
November 2nd, 2007, 06:40 PM

Ahahaha, I didn't think of that xD

Polygon
November 2nd, 2007, 09:47 PM
I havenīt read this whole thread, but I had a question about it. If Gaim had to change its name, why is naim (basically a CLI version of Gaim) still using the aim part? Is it just so small of a project that AOL hasnīt noticed it?

I donīt really care much about the name change, and it actually is a well thought of name. The icon could use some work though...

[edit] Oh, I just noticed Polygonīs post. But, Naim is still installed under that name. Odd..

most likely cuase aol doesnt want to waste the resources on such a small project that isnt as well known as gaim

and the offical cli version of pidgin is called finch...naim looks like a third party cli verison.

Christmas
November 2nd, 2007, 11:52 PM
... and since some people don't like the name what name would U have given instead of Pidgin?

I would have named it Soacra (Romanian for Mother-in-law) cause that's my girlfriends mother talks to me most :D
Ahahaha =))

Dimitriid
November 3rd, 2007, 01:33 AM
I like the little purple pidgin icon.... I think it's cute (ī・ω・`).

+1

klange
November 3rd, 2007, 01:47 AM
I'm pretty sure "Pidgin" does not refer to the bird (Which is spelled 'Pigeon', btw), but rather to the word "pidgin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pidgin)" - A protolanguage used for communication between two parties without a common spoken language.

It's also a fine name, and thanks to the homophonic nature in relation to "pigeon", it has multi meanings that are all extremely relevant to its purpose.

sp0onman
November 3rd, 2007, 02:25 AM
wow so many people with the same answer. anyway the icon is ugly i use the gaim one, looks much better

Vadi
November 3rd, 2007, 02:27 AM
I like the new name, and I recommend it with a great sucsess to windows users. Gaim was a worse name, in my opinion.

abuakel
June 7th, 2008, 08:47 PM
wow so many people with the same answer. anyway the icon is ugly i use the gaim one, looks much better

I can't find the old GAIM icon anywhere.. if anyone has an svg, could they please upload it?

Happy_Man
June 7th, 2008, 09:12 PM
I can't find the old GAIM icon anywhere.. if anyone has an svg, could they please upload it?
It might be on one of the old Ubuntu LiveCDs... poke around in one of them and see.

-grubby
June 7th, 2008, 09:31 PM
I like the name Pidgin, but I think it has the ugliest icon in the history of the universe.

As of now, my opinion on this has changed. I love the Pidgin icon now. I can't even imagine ever using GAIM

King_Critter
June 7th, 2008, 10:13 PM
I like the Pidgin icon because it reminds me of the O RLY (http://www.farfromneutral.com/exodus/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/o_rly.jpg) bird. :P

gameryoshi600
June 7th, 2008, 10:15 PM
AIM sued them so they changed it to Pidgin and the icon is uber.

bufsabre666
June 7th, 2008, 10:35 PM
AIM sued them so they changed it to Pidgin and the icon is uber.

yeah but that whole process is complete crap aol sued them becuase back in the aol instant messenger days when gaim came out it was GTK+ aol instant messenger, so they got sued and changed it to gaim, then aol changed its name down the line to AIM and then sued gaim again, even though gaim had been using it longer, i love the whole legal process

as for using it, i would love to use gaim again, i liked the look and feel of it more than pidgin

FuturePilot
June 7th, 2008, 10:47 PM
I like the Pidgin icon because it reminds me of the O RLY (http://www.farfromneutral.com/exodus/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/o_rly.jpg) bird. :P

ROFL. I never thought of that. :lolflag:

frenchn00b
June 7th, 2008, 11:58 PM

I confirm wth they always change the names of they packages; why they never merge good apps, and hence coders, to make better ?
(example sdlmame, sdlmess, mednafen, merging would make stronger)

Polygon
June 8th, 2008, 12:08 AM
They also have icon as a bird because it fits in with other libpurple projects

Pidgin (pigeon)
Finch
Adium (a duck)

LaRoza
June 8th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Any reason this thread was necromanced? It is a well known reason why it was changed, and wikipedia has a good article on it.

For the old icon for GAIM, google "gaim" and then go to images.