PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculous Updates

DocHoliday52090
October 21st, 2007, 05:53 PM
I realize that Ubuntu sticks to very solid, and very admirable principles, but sometimes I think it goes too far.

Case in point:

I was prodded to download 17 packages, for a total of 72.5 megabytes, today as an 'update' just to fix the extremely minor 'error' of having the Ubuntu logo on the OpenOffice splash screen.

I don't even think it was an issue, but apparently some Kubuntu guys got all up in arms about it, including people who like the 'keep branding to a minimum' policy.

I realize that these things have to be fixed, but shouldn't minor stuff like this be just added on to a bigger update or a more serious fix? It seems like a waste of bandwidth more than anything else.

Version 1:2.3.0-1ubuntu5.1:

* Update OpenOffice.org splash screen to remove Ubuntu branding.
Closes LP: #153132

The "bug" thread: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/153132

bodhi.zazen
October 21st, 2007, 06:17 PM
Moved to the cafe as it is not a support request ...

This is a matter of opinion. Some like to run bleeding edge and will update daily.

Some like to update less often.

You might consider installing 6.06 (LTS) and only performing security updates.

No one is forcing you to update so frequently, and based on your post, I would suggest you install what version you want, then only perform security updates ;)

That is what is great about Linux, the choice is up to you. I for one hope we will continue to have choice.

DocHoliday52090
October 21st, 2007, 06:28 PM
Some like to run bleeding edge and will update daily.

While I understand what you're saying, I don't exactly believe that removing a logo is bleeding edge...:)

While we're on the topic, why is it necessary to update so much to do so little? It seems ridiculous that I have redownload virtually the entire program for such a trivial issue. Can't it be patched or a single file replaced?

LanDan
October 21st, 2007, 06:33 PM
think i agree on this one,

not saying the branding is a bad thing and the small visual details is what makes ubuntu shiny, otherwise you might as well do slackware

don't know if that update was made after the release, but if it was they might as well could have waited for the next security bug in my opinion

FuturePilot
October 21st, 2007, 06:33 PM
That's just the way Debian works. There have been discussions before about somehow implementing Delta Updates like Suse does. But there are also downsides to that as well. Both ways have their pros and cons.

Paul820
October 21st, 2007, 07:10 PM
The developers could be fixing more important things instead of people whining about a splash screen that you only see for seconds. Why can't they just change the splash themselves?

bionnaki
October 21st, 2007, 07:22 PM
I never received this update.

FuturePilot
October 21st, 2007, 07:24 PM
I never received this update.

It's in the Gutsy Proposed Updates right now for testing. You will get it in a few days.

aysiu
October 21st, 2007, 07:30 PM
Here's a workaround for you:

System > Administration > Software Sources > Updates > Automatic Updates > Check for Updates > Every two weeks

Ireclan
October 21st, 2007, 07:33 PM
This was a silly update, in my mind. I stand by those who say it could have been incorporated into a bigger update.

Eddie Wilson
October 21st, 2007, 07:40 PM
That update is not only silly its a totally waste of time. Who's crazy ideal was that anyway?
Eddie

DocHoliday52090
October 21st, 2007, 07:45 PM
Thanks, but I don't want to delay updating every two weeks.

I too like new updates everyday...as long as they're useful. Updates should be given with efficiency in mind. There's no point in causing users to download OpenOffice from scratch for such a small, trivial issue.

Chances are there's going to be some update for OpenOffice down the road with the new release of Ubuntu and all. Making such a large update for the combined efforts of a page of (I don't want to say whiners, but...) is a waste.

I understand if the update was going to add a new feature. If it was going to improve security. If it was going to allow a group of users in a specific scenarios to finally start the program correctly. But please, a logo? Updates should be more thoughtful and less impulsive, gathering the most corrections in the the smallest, most reasonable time possible.

adamorjames
October 21st, 2007, 07:54 PM
Wow, who cares? :lolflag:
If you don't want to update such a small thing then don't. It's all about choice. It didn't take the devs any time to change the Splashes and release the updates. The updates are PROPOSED.

n3tfury
October 22nd, 2007, 12:00 AM
lol a logo update - 75mb? doesn't get much dumber than that.