PDA

View Full Version : gMail nears 4 GB of free storage!

Zdravko
October 21st, 2007, 05:17 PM
Does anyone what is going on with gmail's storage? In the last few weeks I noticed a rapid increase in its size. Now I got:

You are currently using 288 MB (7%) of your 4009 MB.

Man, this is almost 4 GB of free storage!!! W00T! :guitar::guitar::guitar:

rfruth
October 21st, 2007, 05:22 PM
I'm up to 10 meg (0%) used, thank U Google !

RAV TUX
October 21st, 2007, 05:24 PM
Does anyone what is going on with gmail's storage? In the last few weeks I noticed a rapid increase in its size. Now I got:

Man, this is almost 4 GB of free storage!!! W00T! :guitar::guitar::guitar:

I've had unlimited storage with my Yahoo Premium(NOT The free Yahoo version) for over a year now.

Zdravko
October 21st, 2007, 05:26 PM
RAV TUX (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=44986), I have practically unlimited storage for free ;)

RAV TUX
October 21st, 2007, 05:27 PM
RAV TUX (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=44986), I have practically unlimited storage for free ;)I am aware of this but I don't like G-mail.

I do have to say it may be the best option for free.

Zdravko
October 21st, 2007, 05:29 PM
Why you dislike gMail? What is wrong with it?

-grubby
October 21st, 2007, 05:33 PM
w00t! I have 4 GB now!

Phil Airtime
October 21st, 2007, 05:35 PM
I much prefer using my ISP's IMAP server with Evolution, my mobile phone and a web-based client than Gmail. My favourite out of the web-based email services is the new-style Yahoo. It's brilliant, except for the sheer number of ads it foists upon you.

RAV TUX
October 21st, 2007, 05:44 PM
Why you dislike gMail? What is wrong with it?

I don't think I can nail down a specific reason I just like the Yahoo Premium(NOT the free Yahoo e-mail) e-mail Service so much. Which is included at no additional charge through my Verizon service, but I pay for Yahoo Premium e-mail for my OzEnterprise.com e-mail.

With Yahoo Premium there are no ads at all!

I have a G-mail account but honestly never use it.

I like second best my wife's e-mail service through her University of which I have my own account which is hosted by IBM(Lotus Domino Web Access).

I am just not a fan of free e-mail service and I don't care for ads of any kind in my e-mail even if it is Google ads.

...but again with that said if you can't afford to pay for a premium or professional e-mail service then I am sure G-mail is the best option. ;)

Once you pay for premium/professional e-mail free e-mail of any kind; including G-mail, just does not compare.

Ireclan
October 21st, 2007, 05:45 PM
While I most likely will never use all the free storage, I'm glad GMail offers it. Thank you, Google!

x0as
October 21st, 2007, 05:54 PM
I'm happy with my 100gb email storage ;)

BWF89
October 21st, 2007, 05:54 PM
Ever since all my friends got on MySpace I hardly ever use email anymore.

I'm using 1% of my total storage.

RAV TUX
October 21st, 2007, 06:05 PM

I'm using 1% of my total storage.Good Point made here, e-mail does seem like it is a bit of antiquated technology.

Zdravko
October 21st, 2007, 06:06 PM
Good Point made here, e-mail does seem like it is a bit of antiquated technology.
What do you mean with this?

RAV TUX
October 21st, 2007, 06:09 PM
What do you mean with this?

Reference and response to this post:

I'm using 1% of my total storage.

Zdravko
October 21st, 2007, 06:11 PM
What is MySpace?

RAV TUX
October 21st, 2007, 06:17 PM
What is MySpace?Social Networking website (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_social_networking_websites) much like FaceBook, Multiply, etc., just one of many examples that replace the dependency on e-mail.

For me Text-Messaging has replaced e-mail needs in my life probably by about 90%.

misfitpierce
October 21st, 2007, 06:18 PM
I'm up to 200MB maybe... I love my gmail

Epilonsama
October 21st, 2007, 06:25 PM
What is MySpace?

The cancer of the internet, its transforming the internet into some sort of **** heaven and almost everybody use it, sadly.

Wiebelhaus
October 21st, 2007, 06:27 PM
I've been using it for years , I have 5 pop email accounts filtering into it , but I can't get rid of this nagging feeling they are reading it......

hey! just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean the aren't watching me.

GSF1200S
October 21st, 2007, 06:31 PM
I've been using it for years , I have 5 pop email accounts filtering into it , but I can't get rid of this nagging feeling they are reading it......

hey! just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean the aren't watching me.

I hear you.. Is it just me or does it seem like Google is setting themselves up for a powerfest? I dont think they can read it yet (against the law, unless the patriot act takes affect on you), but they may be able to in the future. If that happens, ill put a headless server on my old lappy and set it up as an email server.

LanDan
October 21st, 2007, 06:43 PM
paranoia maybe, but then again...when it comes to your private info that might not be a bad thing..

run my own mail server and even i can set up spamassasin to filter e-mails on any criteria i like.......

you think google would be capable of creating a search engine to filter all those text files?

BOBSONATOR
October 21st, 2007, 07:00 PM
woot

im using 11% lol

aktiwers
October 21st, 2007, 09:23 PM
You are currently using 625 MB (15%) of your 4130 MB :O

Zdravko
October 21st, 2007, 09:30 PM
Social Networking website (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_social_networking_websites) much like FaceBook, Multiply, etc., just one of many examples that replace the dependency on e-mail.

For me Text-Messaging has replaced e-mail needs in my life probably by about 90%.
You mean, I can use it as a storage place for various data?

hellmet
October 21st, 2007, 10:00 PM
Well.. I use Gmail's email hosting service, which till recently, had only 2 GB even though the original Gmail was growing in size. Today, I notice its 4132MB too !! Excellent. I'd never need another email ID in my life.

conehead77
October 21st, 2007, 10:13 PM
You are currently using 625 MB (15%) of your 4130 MB :O
How do you use 600MB just for emails?
I use 8 out of 12MB available and i didnt delete emails for a year or so...

Zdravko
October 21st, 2007, 10:15 PM
I have 756 e-mails. This explains my 288 MB.

markp1989
October 21st, 2007, 10:18 PM
woah mine has gone up alot aswell

You are currently using 62 MB (2%) of your 4112 MB.

BWF89
October 21st, 2007, 10:22 PM
The cancer of the internet, its transforming the internet into some sort of **** heaven and almost everybody use it, sadly.
It's not MySpace's fault most of their users have no idea how to design a decent webpage.

aktiwers
October 21st, 2007, 10:29 PM
How do you use 600MB just for emails?
I use 8 out of 12MB available and i didnt delete emails for a year or so...

I have 1438 In my inbox, and many of them have PDF and text files attached.

x0as
October 21st, 2007, 10:31 PM
Just checked a gmail account I use for email forwarding, 3027 emails

You are currently using 70 MB (2%) of your 4098 MB.

I've got a yahoo account I use for mailing lists, 30192 emails :lolflag:

Nekiruhs
October 21st, 2007, 10:58 PM
Gmail's storage increased by about 145 MB a year (equating to almost 0.4 MB per day)[8] through 12 October 2007, when Google ramped up the storage counter[9] to 5.37 MB per hour.
Well that explains it. Way to go Google!

Btw, I am at 101 MB/ 4022 MB (2%)

LookTJ
October 22nd, 2007, 12:12 AM
whoa! Thanks google. I guess that means I'll have 8GB by next year.

n3tfury
October 22nd, 2007, 12:20 AM
remember kids (and i think i already posted this, but don't feel like looking) that using httpS://mail.google.com encrypts your entire session.

Darkhack
October 22nd, 2007, 12:31 AM
remember kids (and i think i already posted this, but don't feel like looking) that using httpS://mail.google.com encrypts your entire session.

I have a Firefox extension that automatically does that for me called Better Gmail (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4866). I also use WebMail Notifier (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4490) which checks for new emails and I can just click the icon in the status bar to take me to Gmail quickly.

glotz
October 22nd, 2007, 12:36 AM
I don't like google because "google doesn't know enough about you".

n3tfury
October 22nd, 2007, 01:00 AM
I have a Firefox extension that automatically does that for me called Better Gmail (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4866). I also use WebMail Notifier (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4490) which checks for new emails and I can just click the icon in the status bar to take me to Gmail quickly.

yep, but that won't save you away from your pc (unless of course you're using it with portable apps). besides, the less extensions the better, imo, although bettergmail is pretty good.

.Michael
October 22nd, 2007, 01:09 AM
I remember when GMail gave people 1000 megabytes of space.

It was impressive.

My gmail account had more space than I need.
Now it has WAY more space than I need!

southernman
October 22nd, 2007, 01:18 AM
Great tip indeed n3tfury, but even better still (IMO at least) is to setup a desktop client to download the emails to your machine. Once you are all setup, you only need to login to Gmail for the occasional modification(s).

Too, the way I set it up is to keep a copy on Gmails server... for just in case the unthinkable happens and even your backups of backups gets hosed somehow... fire, flood or other natural disaster.

Even more off topic, Ironic not that long ago someone we all know was rambling on about how Gmail sucked simply cause you couldn't do _____ and ______ or use ____ with it. Now it's all the rage! gotta love it!

:lolflag:

n3tfury
October 22nd, 2007, 01:30 AM
Great tip indeed n3tfury, but even better still (IMO at least) is to setup a desktop client to download the emails to your machine. Once you are all setup, you only need to login to Gmail for the occasional modification(s).

Too, the way I set it up is to keep a copy on Gmails server... for just in case the unthinkable happens and even your backups of backups gets hosed somehow... fire, flood or other natural disaster.

Even more off topic, Ironic not that long ago someone we all know was rambling on about how Gmail sucked simply cause you couldn't do _____ and ______ or use ____ with it. Now it's all the rage! gotta love it!

:lolflag:

aye, but i can't stand to use an email client since i need access to my email from more locations than just my pc's at work/home. i just keep it all in one place. the chance of google using losing my data compared to my local hdd is just about nil :)

Nekiruhs
October 22nd, 2007, 01:37 AM
aye, but i can't stand to use an email client since i need access to my email from more locations than just my pc's at work/home. i just keep it all in one place. the chance of google using losing my data compared to my local hdd is just about nil :)
I used to use an email client just to get all my mail in one place. But now I use gMail's Send As and Mail Fetcher features to do the same thing. I love my gMail!

southernman
October 22nd, 2007, 01:41 AM
Roger that... being that mobile, I see your point.

Me, I'm not... hence my point. ;) Although Gmail is just a click, username, password - away.

sci-fi guy
October 22nd, 2007, 01:44 AM
They started pouring on storage space about a week ago (http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/10/13/111211).

Zdravko
October 22nd, 2007, 07:01 AM
Nice!