PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Gutsy is becoming a nghtmare for me please help!!!!

bigbrovar
October 21st, 2007, 03:58 PM
I have a problem in synaptic.. everytime i search for a package i get a blank result as if i dont have the package in synaptics .. but most times i do..cus i get to see the package if i scroll through synaptic..for example if i type "amarok" i get a blank result as if i dont have amarok in synaptic ..but if i should scroll down ..i would find it..i have tried everything i know but nothing seem to be working..so now its hell trying to install new packages on gutsy..and i most say that i never encountered this when i was on feisty..also when i try to use the search in the menubar of a folder to search for something in the folder it would give me results from my home folder even if the folder am trying to search is in - say /media/data - in the end i dont find waht am looking for..pls is there anything i can do to change this..

kamaboko
October 21st, 2007, 04:03 PM
I have a problem in synaptic.. everytime i search for a package i get a blank result as if i dont have the package in synaptics .. but most times i do..cus i get to see the package if i scroll through synaptic..for example if i type "amarok" i get a blank result as if i dont have amarok in synaptic ..but if i should scroll down ..i would find it..i have tried everything i know but nothing seem to be working..so now its hell trying to install new packages on gutsy..and i most say that i never encountered this when i was on feisty..also when i try to use the search in the menubar of a folder to search for something in the folder it would give me results from my home folder even if the folder am trying to search is in - say /media/data - in the end i dont find waht am looking for..pls is there anything i can do to change this..

Ohhh....the irony: Some people says that when you play has Windows XP install CD backwards you will hear demon voices commanding you to worship Satan. That's nothing compared to.when you play it forward to install Windows XP

bigbrovar
October 21st, 2007, 04:14 PM
Feisty was never like this ..installing packages has been hell....i dont know what to do.. hmmmmm ..as if things are not bad enough now a ******* fanboy/girl is mocking me grrrrh:confused:

-grubby
October 21st, 2007, 04:16 PM
why not go back to fiesty?

kamaboko
October 21st, 2007, 04:19 PM
Feisty was never like this ..installing packages has been hell....i dont know what to do.. hmmmmm ..as if things are not bad enough now a ******* fanboy/girl is mocking me grrrrh:confused:

I'm not a fan boy. I just pointed out the ridiculousness of your quote given your current circumstance. Looks like you're in Ubuntu hell. LOL.

bigbrovar
October 21st, 2007, 04:20 PM
11 Minutes Ago 04:03 PM
kamaboko
Re: Gutsy is becoming a nghtmare for me please help!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrovar View Post
Ohhh....the irony: Some people says that when you play has Windows XP install CD backwards you will hear demon voices commanding you to worship Satan. That's nothing compared to.when you play it forward to install Windows XP

yeah i still stand by my point using xp is worse dn listening to demonic voices..and even though am having a problem in my gutsy ..which is probably due to something i did cus nobody seem to have that probem...overall gutsy is still better than xp by a thousand miles ..at lease it doesnt crash on me..and its secured ..and i dont have to go looking for cracks..even the experience of using a malfunctioning synaptics is better that installing packages on *******..

ElEdwards
October 21st, 2007, 04:22 PM
I had a lot of problems similar to yours.... my nVidia card was detected as an ATI... sound didn't work.... web searching was painfully slow.... and more.
.... but it turned out that I had either a corrupted iso or a bad burn, even though the md5sum was right and the integrity check was good.

I downloaded again, burned again, installed again.... and everything is great!!

By the way, I never do an "upgrade" install.... I always backup my docs, etc, and do a clean install, starting from scratch.

I love 7.10 now! :)

bigbrovar
October 21st, 2007, 04:28 PM
hmmm so u mean i should try reinstalling gutsy ... that would take a lot cus my internet connection has gone kaputt ( isp problem) and right now my only chance of connecting to the web is thru public cafes which are far from where i reside .. oh God ..what am i going to do now :(

karellen
October 21st, 2007, 04:33 PM

no offense but your reply has absolutely nothing to do with the original post. if I see correctly, he never mentioned Windows. so...:confused:

ryanVickers
October 21st, 2007, 04:34 PM
I was not finding any packages, or very few, and then I clicked the "reload" button, and it worked ;) Try that.

misfitpierce
October 21st, 2007, 04:35 PM
I'm not a fan boy. I just pointed out the ridiculousness of your quote given your current circumstance. Looks like you're in Ubuntu hell. LOL.

You can leave.... on the real.... Your statements are rediculous. Don't come in here b/c he is having a problem and pull up some windows crap. When an OS is made from scratch in 6 months and you compare it to one that took 5-7 years and windows has more errors... Dont even. :) lol

And as for error try reloading your repos...

sudo apt-get update or reload within synaptic

LanDan
October 21st, 2007, 04:38 PM
hmmm so u mean i should try reinstalling gutsy ... that would take a lot cus my internet connection has gone kaputt ( isp problem) and right now my only chance of connecting to the web is thru public cafes which are far from where i reside .. oh God ..what am i going to do now :(

euhhhh, if your internet connection is broken where were you planning to get the packages from?

you have a cd enabled as repository?

ryanVickers
October 21st, 2007, 04:42 PM
also, you are posting this from where? The cafés?!

bigbrovar
October 21st, 2007, 04:47 PM
7 Minutes Ago 04:35 PM
misfitpierce
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamaboko View Post
You can leave.... on the real.... Your statements are rediculous. Don't come in here b/c he is having a problem and pull up some windows crap. When an OS is made from scratch in 6 months and you compare it to one that took 5-7 years and windows has more errors... Dont even. lol

And as for error try reloading your repos...

sudo apt-get update or reload within synaptic

i have still having the problem ...

LanDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrovar View Post
hmmm so u mean i should try reinstalling gutsy ... that would take a lot cus my internet connection has gone kaputt ( isp problem) and right now my only chance of connecting to the web is thru public cafes which are far from where i reside .. oh God ..what am i going to do now
euhhhh, if your internet connection is broken where were you planning to get the packages from?

you have a cd enabled as repository?

yes my internet is broken -though this has nothing to do with gutsy ... and yes am at an internet cafe that is where am doing all the reloading and sudo apt-get update ..i just want to fix the problem b4 i go home

and no am not using a cd repo..to the contrary am hoping to make one so that i can give it to pple without internet connection in my country ..

LanDan
October 21st, 2007, 04:51 PM
did you try it the "geeky way" in a terminal??

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install amarok

bigbrovar
October 21st, 2007, 05:09 PM
12 Minutes Ago 04:51 PM
LanDan
did you try it the "geeky way" in a terminal??

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install amarok

sure that worked
also installing with adept was without any searching problem ..so i geuss i would have to be using adept for my installations ...but ubuntu without a good functioning synaptics is can of a let down ..please ur suggestions are still wellcome

N.B to put something striaght i can install programs from synaptics just that i would have to stroll thru looking for any program i want ..using the search function doesn work

ukripper
October 21st, 2007, 05:18 PM
I just done fresh install of gutsy an hour ago. All hardware plus drivers detected out of the box on my acer laptop including bcm4318 wireless card. Packages are available as expected in synaptic.

Probably you need to enable Repos.

LanDan
October 21st, 2007, 05:18 PM
then i honestly don't know, seems something broken in synaptic then

sudo apt-get remove synaptic
sudo apt-get purge synaptic
sudo apt-get autoclean
sudo apt-get install synaptic

what happens if you do this?

bigbrovar
October 21st, 2007, 05:32 PM
thanks mate right now am installing xubuntu-deskop -- thru terminal ..so when am done i will try that ..please keep the suggestions comming

Henaro
October 21st, 2007, 05:53 PM
Duct tape fixes everything. ;)

bigbrovar
October 21st, 2007, 07:38 PM
2 Hours Ago 05:18 PM
LanDan
then i honestly don't know, seems something broken in synaptic then

sudo apt-get remove synaptic
sudo apt-get purge synaptic
sudo apt-get autoclean
sudo apt-get install synaptic

what happens if you do this?

mehn i tried what u said but still the same synaptic doesnt retutn my search results.... oh God i dont want to have to reinstall gutsy..not after all that i have done..

bigbrovar
October 21st, 2007, 08:06 PM
i should be smacked really hard ...the problem was that of settings i must have mistakenly set the default search mode of synaptics to name of maintainer instead of name and description...everything is fine now...am soo sorry for stresing u guys..

LanDan
October 21st, 2007, 08:08 PM
lol ;)

ukripper
October 21st, 2007, 08:13 PM
:guitar: