PDA

View Full Version : gutsy gibbon upgrades -- complaints

tyggna1
October 21st, 2007, 03:29 AM
See my other thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=584309) to post good comments about Gutsy.

Here, post your complaints or things that you don't like about Gutsy.

I'll start:

Less reliant on the command line (I love the command line)
Open source java compiler is default (had to rip it out to get sun java to work properly)
Difficult to find compiz/fusion customization tools (had to add/remove a program)
Think naming the GUI for managing hardware "device manager" is a lawsuit waiting to happen -- makes me nervous
Thats all I can think of.

arbulus
October 21st, 2007, 03:47 AM
- No custom settings for the Compiz Fusion effects
- Upgrading broke my NFS. Had to completely start from a fresh install to fix.

mikedep333
October 21st, 2007, 05:42 AM
My friend had beryl going before he upgraded from feisty to gutsy. Neither it nor the gutsy compiz-fusion default desktop effects worked after the upgrade.

We however solved this by completely removing beryl, and completely reinstalling compiz-fusion and the nvidia driver.

mikedep333
October 21st, 2007, 05:44 AM
- No custom settings for the Compiz Fusion effects

Yes you can customize compiz fusion. You may need to install an extra package (just search for "compiz" in synaptic.)

FuturePilot
October 21st, 2007, 05:53 AM
Suspend stopped working where it previously worked perfectly in Feisty. Not that big of a deal though since I really don't use Suspend that much.

diablo75
October 21st, 2007, 06:31 AM
Many seem to have problems upgrading if they had Beryl on their system before starting. This problem has recently been fixed (at least for me, anyway) after an update for the tzdata package was sent out. This allowed me to install compizconfig-settings-manager using "sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager" at the terminal.

Though I must complain too, that this problem should have been foreseen and dealt with before the release.

Another problem I had after the upgrade was VMware server not working because the kernal changed. Shouldn't something like this be fixed automatically via the update manager?

voided3
October 21st, 2007, 06:36 AM
Another problem I had after the upgrade was VMware server not working because the kernal changed. Shouldn't something like this be fixed automatically via the update manager?

Same here. I just removed it with synaptic then downloaded it from vmware's website and reinstalled.

black_magician
October 21st, 2007, 06:38 AM
I upgraded after trying about 10 times and having it hang on me. After that, junk just stopped working. no xgl, lost my printer,no suspend or hibernate, nautilus started freezing up, and it was generally bad times. had to do a clean install to fix.

cmmike1
October 21st, 2007, 06:42 AM
I had to fsck after the upgrade finished. after i did that it booted up and all was good.

Cyberbian
October 21st, 2007, 06:48 AM
See my other thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=584309) to post good comments about Gutsy.

Here, post your complaints or things that you don't like about Gutsy.

I'll start:

Less reliant on the command line (I love the command line)
Open source java compiler is default (had to rip it out to get sun java to work properly)
Difficult to find compiz/fusion customization tools (had to add/remove a program)
Think naming the GUI for managing hardware "device manager" is a lawsuit waiting to happen -- makes me nervous
Thats all I can think of.

I suggest naming the GUI "Device Mangler" It's more of an affront on several levels, and PC.
Can I say PC. Or is that owned by Trolls too?

bapoumba
October 21st, 2007, 07:20 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3567309

Hello, there is a sticky in "Installations and Upgrades", with a poll, to share all your Gutsy install/upgrades experiences. Please contribute there, rather than have several places where the info can be lost. Thanks.

Closing here. To the OP, if you have a problem with the closing, please PM me or another mod.