PDA

View Full Version : gutsy gibbon upgrades -- just the good

tyggna1
October 21st, 2007, 03:23 AM
Now that Gutsy has hit mainstream--and been out for a few days, I think it's time we talk about what we like about it. If you want to complain, go here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3586383). For this thread, just post what's different about Gutsy that you like.

I'll start:
Wireless works!
Improved Bluetooth support (don't use, but nice to know it's there)
Smaller kernel = less RAM overhead usage for OS.
More GUI-based troubleshooting tools (device manager, better network manager, awesome printer management--ect)
Dual-screen support made easy, and GUI.
Wine installed by default (great for new converts)
Bug report tool in applications menu (as opposed to previous versions, it was hard to find, and compare to microsoft where it doesn't give you a choice to report a bug or not, this is a way nice feature)

Improved open-source java compiler -- not fantastic, but much better than the feisty version

FuturePilot
October 21st, 2007, 03:40 AM
Wine installed by default?:confused:

tyggna1
October 21st, 2007, 03:42 AM
it's got it's own menu--I didn't have wine on my machine before I upgraded--so I just assumed. Yes, I think that is a good thing for converts--don't use wine much myself, though.

p_quarles
October 21st, 2007, 03:46 AM
Wine installed by default?:confused:
Not that I recall. The new version of Wine, though, is ridiculously awesome. It even creates menu items.

Gotta love the tickless kernel and the new GIMP rc.

LaRoza
October 21st, 2007, 03:52 AM
- It was flawless and fast.
- It was my first, and was surprisingly easy, just click and wait (for 30 minutes)
- Pleasant surprise

fluteflute
October 21st, 2007, 12:32 PM
- Allowed me to choose the correct screen resolution without playing around with the command line (ATI Radeon 9600 Pro)
- Flash installed easily from within firefox
- Compiz Fusion worked out of the box
- sound worked out of the box
- two cd-rom drive problem gone (used to mean a slower boot)

Obor
October 21st, 2007, 12:52 PM
don't know if its new or not but I like the automatic installation of missing plugins in firefox (flash, java and similar,it worked like on windows)

MCrittenden
October 21st, 2007, 03:49 PM
- Compiz much easier to set up on my ATI card without having to create new session for XGL...just download and reboot.
- Sound card issues fixed for me
- Faster boot time
- Updated OOo and GIMP
- Fonts look better

ahaslam
October 21st, 2007, 04:46 PM
Video & audio encoding speeds have shot up: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3590501#post3590501

Untill Gutsy, nothing, not even a stage 2 Gentoo install came close to the speed of Arch Linux. Granted it's only one aspect, I'll do more comparisons when I get time.

sanderella
October 21st, 2007, 04:53 PM
Easypeasy.:KS

Paul820
October 21st, 2007, 04:54 PM
All the theme preferences and fonts are in one place.
Tracker, i didn't think i would use it but i find i'm using it more and more. It's very fast.
The whole OS just looks and feels more polished.

bapoumba
October 21st, 2007, 07:20 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3567309

Hello, there is a sticky in "Installations and Upgrades", with a poll, to share all your Gutsy install/upgrades experiences. Please contribute there, rather than have several places where the info can be lost. Thanks.

Closing here. To the OP, if you have a problem with the closing, please PM me or another mod.