PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else think that 7.10 has way too much stuff in it?

Fbot1
October 21st, 2007, 02:56 AM
I understand that every one has different needs but it's starting to seem pretty pointless and annoying. Does anyone else feel the same?

steveneddy
October 21st, 2007, 03:04 AM
Not really. Unlike windows, the programs that you don't need or use can be deleted from the system without harm to the OS as a whole.

But the new features offered in Gutsy far outweigh the bloated nature of this release.

DeltaPHC
October 21st, 2007, 03:05 AM
If anything, I think Ubuntu has had *less* stuff than most other major Linux distros. Distros like Fedora, Mandriva, SUSE, etc have all been multi-CD, or one DVD (although lately some of them have been shrinking down). They've been bloated for a long time.

From the very start, Ubuntu has fit on only one CD. With no enterprise/pro editions and such.

What exactly do you find pointless and annoying?

kamaboko
October 21st, 2007, 03:15 AM
i think for one CD it has a pretty impressive set of features. i just wish it would work w/o having to pull my hair out looking for patches, work arounds or restricted drivers.

NullHead
October 21st, 2007, 03:16 AM
Ubuntu has like nothing compared to sabayon (http://www.sabayonlinux.org/) I downloaded the dvd and I loaded it up and the desktop was full of stuff ... for the record i HATE desktop icons ...

Fbot1
October 21st, 2007, 03:18 AM
What exactly do you find pointless and annoying?

I deleted a lot of stuff. At the moment the only thing that comes to mind is Ruby.

Henaro
October 21st, 2007, 03:21 AM
You could always get Ubuntu Minimal CD and upgrade it to Gusty after installation. That's what I did ;). But then again it does require a lot more set up and you have to be comfortable with the command line. But setting stuff up can be fun. :D

Nekiruhs
October 21st, 2007, 03:24 AM
I deleted a lot of stuff. At the moment the only thing that comes to mind is Ruby.
Why is Ruby unnecessary? Many programs require Ruby to run. I suppose Python is superfluous too? And Perl? And while were at it, why not Mono?

Fbot1
October 21st, 2007, 03:31 AM
Why is Ruby unnecessary? Many programs require Ruby to run. I suppose Python is superfluous too? And Perl? And while were at it, why not Mono?

Oh! Mono and all that crap that use it too. Actually, Ruby isn't needed for any I didn't already uninstall at the time. What uses it?

Henaro
October 21st, 2007, 03:32 AM

Not everyone needs those, or the programs that require them. I don't have Perl or Ruby installed on my system. And only one program that I use (Exaile), requires python. And before I had a boner for Exaile, I didn't have python installed.

Darkhack
October 21st, 2007, 04:30 AM
What really annoys me is that build-essentials is on the CD but it isn't installed by default. Programmer or not, if you are using Linux for more than just mom-and-pop computing, you're going to need to compile once in a while. Besides, I don't see how having it installed by default would hurt those who aren't using it.

One of my favorite things about Ubuntu though is that it is only a single CD and has the best of what I need. I don't waste my time downloading hundreds of megabytes of software I never use, burns quickly onto a CD (not all computers have DVD drives), and the software that it does have is all very sensible; Firefox, OpenOffice, etc.

23meg
October 21st, 2007, 04:34 AM
Besides, I don't see how having it installed by default would hurt those who aren't using it.

With possible malicious code compiling itself on the host computer, as an example.

Spr0k3t
October 21st, 2007, 04:37 AM

Mono is the first thing I ditch. From what I understand, there are only three major applications which use mono (tomboy, f-spot, and one other that isn't installed but still in the repos that I have no use for). I don't use ruby (yet), but it's not as infectious as mono in my opinion.

It's funny though... mono is the only thing I remove from a clean install. I just wish there was a way to block it from installing.

sloggerkhan
October 21st, 2007, 04:45 AM
Ubuntu does come with apps I don't use. F-Spot, ekiga, and most of the default games come to mind.

But after every install I always have to add a load of stuff from the repos.
So I don't feel likes it's too bloated. I always get inkscape, scribus, deluge (deluge should be included with hardy, IMO), xine, vlc, simple backup, and some games (super tux, nexuiz, etc.).

Crashmaxx
October 21st, 2007, 04:49 AM
Only thing I really don't like being there is the search utility. Only because it tries to index everything be default. I have all myc files where I want them. The only search I need is locate, which takes less then a min to index the whole computer.

Other then that, there are only a couple things I really don't want and uninstall, but I'm sure others need to use them, so they don't bother me.

Kujen
October 21st, 2007, 04:54 AM
Am I behind in the times or isn't ubuntu still fairly barebones in apps compared to other distros?

Fbot1
October 21st, 2007, 05:05 AM
Am I behind in the times or isn't ubuntu still fairly barebones in apps compared to other distros?

Not as far as I'm concerned. Besides even if that was the case it would still be an imperfection.

EdThaSlayer
October 21st, 2007, 05:30 AM
I think that Ubuntu comes with a lot of applications that most users are likely to use. Tomboy in 7.04 was a great addition to Ubuntu since it is very useful.

Spr0k3t
October 21st, 2007, 05:37 AM
I think that Ubuntu comes with a lot of applications that most users are likely to use. Tomboy in 7.04 was a great addition to Ubuntu since it is very useful.

If only tomboy didn't use mono, I might be interested in it. For now, I'll stick with google/notebook.

tbroderick
October 21st, 2007, 05:37 AM
I don't have Perl or Ruby installed on my system.

Isn't that irssi in your latest screenshot in the October thread?

Henaro
October 21st, 2007, 06:05 AM
Isn't that irssi in your latest screenshot in the October thread?

Does that run on perl? If so I stand corrected ;)

tbroderick
October 21st, 2007, 07:08 AM
Does that run on perl? If so I stand corrected ;)

Yep...and python is required for the restricted-manager and update-manager, among other things.

conehead77
October 21st, 2007, 07:27 AM
If only tomboy didn't use mono, I might be interested in it. For now, I'll stick with google/notebook.

Try zim. I dont have a clue what mono is, but i like zim more than tomboy.

Pekkalainen
October 21st, 2007, 07:56 AM
Whats the point of having both f-spot and gThumb? Dont they do the same thing?

ssam
October 21st, 2007, 10:27 AM
i have a mini-itx computer that has the main partition on a 1GB compact flash card. ubuntu has always been to big for that. i do a minimal/server install and then add what i need.

on anything with more that a 20GB main disk it don't think it worth the effort of removing things to save 1 or 2 MB.

some other distros like to include web, ftp and email servers, full developement environment, multiple office suites etc. ubuntu is very trim be comparison.

there are as many posts in these forums asking for things to be added as there are for things to be removed. ie, some people want gcc by default.

stomponthis
October 22nd, 2007, 05:48 AM
I think the new features are quite good, plus the one live CD that its still rocking on !!
Maybe a little me bloated OS, and a couple of things I have tried to install isnt working. But on the whole I am glad to see a new release!

swoll1980
October 22nd, 2007, 07:03 AM
They should ditch the gnome-games and replace them with ndiswrapper