PDA

View Full Version : An os like DSL for a thinkpad i series

earobinson
August 20th, 2005, 12:14 AM
I just got given an thinkpad i series and so i want to run linux well ubuntu is a bit to hardcore for this laptop so i tryed damn small linux http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/ but well that has a lot of errors :( can anyone recomend a good small light version of linux to use?

Thanks

byen
August 20th, 2005, 12:18 AM
usually "damn small linux "is the most often suggested.... what errors are you getting? and secondly.....what are your specs buddy?

benplaut
August 20th, 2005, 12:21 AM
might try BeatrIX... it's basically ubuntu for older systems

breezy should have a lite version, but i'm not sure if it will happen

earobinson
August 20th, 2005, 12:23 AM
well the screen is not showing me the who screen (cant see the task bar). also "modprobe: can't locate module block-major-2", i realy want something thats just going to work, would you say i should try a different version of dsl?

and im not at all sure of the specs

byen
August 20th, 2005, 12:26 AM
breezy should have a lite version, but i'm not sure if it will happen

Well talking about ubuntu...Xfce and fluxbox are pretty kickass with Ubuntu....esp. XFCE.. If HD space isnt an issue...why not try that? there are so many threads here that would help you tweak optimize Ubuntu+Xfce to work on pre-historic computers. Worth a try...

earobinson
August 20th, 2005, 12:28 AM
Thats what i did first, maybe ill go back to that, any idea where i can find a how to on it?

Brunellus
August 20th, 2005, 02:28 AM
well the screen is not showing me the who screen (cant see the task bar). also "modprobe: can't locate module block-major-2", i realy want something thats just going to work, would you say i should try a different version of dsl?

and im not at all sure of the specs
uh...there is no taskbar in fluxbox....

drizek
August 20th, 2005, 03:17 AM
uh...there is no taskbar in fluxbox....
yes there is

Brunellus
August 20th, 2005, 03:21 AM
yes there is
I stand corrected. no program menu, but a slim taskbar. & The Slit--hooray for dockapps!

xequence
August 20th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Ive heard good things about feather linux.

BUt its really hard to know since you dont know the specs. How old does it look?

As someone said XFCE is great on ubuntu, its really fast.

earobinson
August 21st, 2005, 12:59 AM
1994 ish

drizek
August 21st, 2005, 01:34 AM
1994 ish
if it is a pentium 2 or newer, then you should try yoper on it with a lightweight windowmanager.

earobinson
August 21st, 2005, 01:54 AM
if it is a pentium 2 or newer, then you should try yoper on it with a lightweight windowmanager.
what are the pros and cons of yoper?

drizek
August 21st, 2005, 02:05 AM
what are the pros and cons of yoper?
it is very very fast. it has apt(but the repositories arent updated as regularly as ubuntu). it is not a noob distro, but it is no harder to install or use than ubuntu. it also has good hardware detection.

but you do need an i686 cpu to run it. and it boots kinda slowly too(although faster than hoary)

a-nubi-s
August 21st, 2005, 09:58 AM
Austrumi (http://cyti.latgola.lv/ruuni/index_en.html) is a very small (50 MB iso) Slackware based, Openbox desktop with a good selection of apps - Firefox, Gimp, Abiword, Mplayer etc. and nice modern looking. You have nothing to lose trying it, takes only minutes to download, burn and runs completely from memory (no CD) if you have 96MB RAM. It defaults to Latvian but don't panic. Just click the panel menu and go up to "Darbavirsma" and you'll see the Union Jack. Very, very fast - fastest Live CD I've ever tried. Can install to hard disk too with a graphical installer but I haven't tried that. Very classy.

blinksilver
August 21st, 2005, 10:32 AM
i owned a Iseries and they are from 1998(not 1994), the slowest model i knew was a 433mhz celeron(PII style) and 32mb ram, beyond the ram it should run most linux fine. Sarge with XFCE maybe?

earobinson
August 21st, 2005, 05:13 PM
i owned a Iseries and they are from 1998(not 1994), the slowest model i knew was a 433mhz celeron(PII style) and 32mb ram, beyond the ram it should run most linux fine. Sarge with XFCE maybe?
hey 1994 was a guess, and like i said i have had ubuntu on it, i just want it to run a bit faster so maybe something lighter would be better, im just keeping my options open

aysiu
August 21st, 2005, 05:20 PM
hey 1994 was a guess, and like i said i have had ubuntu on it, i just want it to run a bit faster so maybe something lighter would be better, im just keeping my options open If you've had Ubuntu on it, just keep it there and use an XFCE desktop instead of Gnome.

earobinson
August 21st, 2005, 05:23 PM
If you've had Ubuntu on it, just keep it there and use an XFCE desktop instead of Gnome.

thats what Im going to do i think, thanks for all the distro ideas guys, anyone got a good tutorial on cutting down linux (eg turing off cups and most other things that i wont be using)?

aysiu
August 21st, 2005, 05:27 PM
thats what Im going to do i think, thanks for all the distro ideas guys, anyone got a good tutorial on cutting down linux (eg turing off cups and most other things that i wont be using)? Maybe run XFCE. Type top in the terminal and see what processes are eating up your CPU.