PDA

View Full Version : Wow, I think I've found my perfect media player at last!

Ultra Magnus
October 20th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Wow, I think I've found my perfect media player at last! - Does anyone here use Exaile? - Its simply brilliant - And contains the best feature ever - it actually collects guitar tabs for you! - Just to repeat myself again, Exaile rocks! - Plus it seems to be the only media player other than rhythm box that I can get to work with the play/pause and skip buttons on the front of my laptop which is a bonus.

If you like playing guitar and your too lazy to track down your own guitar tabs, try exaile.

n3tfury
October 20th, 2007, 06:25 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=159879&highlight=exaile

TidusBlade
I haven't really tried it yet, but sometimes Amarok dosent work, unless I reboot :( Sounds awesome, I'll give it a spin :)

FuturePilot
Hehe, so you've discovered the awesomeness called Exaile.:lolflag:
I'm also an Exaile user. I simply love it! It's really a great media player. All my media buttons work with it as well.:guitar:

hardyn
October 20th, 2007, 06:31 PM
i cant speak for guitar tabs, not really important to me... but i have just found exaile to be a media player. nothing really remarkable.

I have and continue to use amarok, i find its visual appearence a little more pleasing, I do like they way that exaile starts a little more promptly, but i think that has more to do with loading the KDE toolkit than actually starting the program itself.

maybe i will give exaile another spin.

SunnyRabbiera
October 20th, 2007, 07:27 PM
I too still prefer amarok, but exaile is pretty good.

hardyn
October 20th, 2007, 07:46 PM
it has made alot of improvements... the plugin system, is quite superior to amarok... still find it to be a little plain looking though

RAV TUX
October 20th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Wow, I think I've found my perfect media player at last! - Does anyone here use Exaile? - Its simply brilliant - And contains the best feature ever - it actually collects guitar tabs for you! - Just to repeat myself again, Exaile rocks! - Plus it seems to be the only media player other than rhythm box that I can get to work with the play/pause and skip buttons on the front of my laptop which is a bonus.

If you like playing guitar and your too lazy to track down your own guitar tabs, try exaile.Is it as good as XMMS?

adamorjames
October 20th, 2007, 09:33 PM
bah Exaile! :mad:

Anyways, the reason I don't use Exaile is it is bad at podcasts (it saves them with weird numbered names). :)

pt123
October 20th, 2007, 09:56 PM
What bugs me about all these open source music players is that there is not a common rating system or rating transfer protocol.

Why would one want to try another player if I have to manually enter the ratings of a 1000 songs.

Acglaphotis
October 20th, 2007, 10:06 PM
What bugs me about all these open source music players is that there is not a common rating system or rating transfer protocol.

Why would one want to try another player if I have to manually enter the ratings of a 1000 songs.

There is a rating transfer protocol for closed-source ones?

Anyway, i just downloaded it, and it's as good as you say, i already replaced amarok ; ).

n3tfury
October 20th, 2007, 10:10 PM
i guess i'll never understand why you'd rate your own collection. i know which songs suck and which ones don't. what do you guys use it for, maybe i'm missing something?

adamorjames
October 20th, 2007, 10:10 PM

Anyway, i just downloaded it, and it's as good as you say, i already replaced amarok ; ).

Who cares if there isn't one for CLOSED <---. This is open-source, it is open. :lol: Why don't we take the first step?

adamorjames
October 20th, 2007, 10:14 PM
i guess i'll never understand why you'd rate your own collection. i know which songs suck and which ones don't. what do you guys use it for, maybe i'm missing something?

To let other people know what you like. For example, there is a python script that takes what Banshee is playing and displays the info in an IRC client. It shows the rating, etc. Also, a rating system could be used when playing music, which songs should be played more, etc.
EDIT: Sorry for double posting

Dyus36
October 20th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Exaile is my main player, i just couldnt stand Rhythmbox anymore and i try to stay as far away from K as possible so amarok was out (and is liked to crash whever i wanted to play mp3). my only gripe with it was python liked to crash after my gutsy upgrade, but it fixed itself after a clean install.

as for rating you music, why would you bother, i see no purpose for it, im fully capable of finding what i like and adding it to my list, using a rating system and then playing the "top 100" or whatever just playes the same stuff over and over till its not fun to listen to anymore anyway!

n3tfury
October 20th, 2007, 10:24 PM
To let other people know what you like. For example, there is a python script that takes what Banshee is playing and displays the info in an IRC client. It shows the rating, etc. Also, a rating system could be used when playing music, which songs should be played more, etc.
EDIT: Sorry for double posting

ah, ok that i understand, thanks.

undine
October 20th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Exaile is fantastic (better than Amarok imo). But these days, I like Rhythmbox -- it organizes my collection properly, and I love the podcast/last.fm/radio features.

corney91
October 20th, 2007, 10:30 PM
I like Exaile but it's third on my list alongside Amarok, and behind gMusicbrowser and XMMS. Tabs are a nice idea, but only if you play guitar:)

MRiGnS
Exaile is fantastic (better than Amarok imo).

Erry why?

It's an Amarok clone and most of the features aren't implemented yet.

fuscia
exaile's pretty strong. it even has a streamripper plugin (which amarok does not, afaik). i still prefer mpd+ncmpc.

adamorjames
October 20th, 2007, 10:31 PM
ah, ok that i understand, thanks.

welcome

undine
October 20th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Erry why?

It's an Amarok clone and most of the features aren't implemented yet.

It's lighter and less buggy. Across two different 'buntu relesases now, I've had Amarok get to the stage where it would just refuse to index my collection. Plus it's QT :P

aimran
October 20th, 2007, 11:03 PM
IIRC most Linux players don't have crossfade/gapless playback. I think only Aqualung has it.

Incense
October 20th, 2007, 11:18 PM
I really like the mini mode (or whatever they call it) in Exaile. It's still not up there with Amarok, but it's not a bad gnome player, and it runs faster then Banshee.

n3tfury
October 20th, 2007, 11:22 PM
IIRC most Linux players don't have crossfade/gapless playback. I think only Aqualung has it.

that's a shame. nothing worse than listening to a live album without it.

zekopeko
October 20th, 2007, 11:27 PM

rythmbox has it in gutsy and exaile. you have to install gstreamer plugin for it to work. gutsy has it by deafult if i remember.
if you are running feisty then i recommend to put the ubuntu repository from this page (http://www.exaile.org/downloads) in your software sources and install exaile and gstreamer-equalizer from it .

aimran
October 20th, 2007, 11:31 PM
rythmbox has it in gutsy and exaile. you have to install gstreamer plugin for it to work. gutsy has it by deafult if i remember.
if you are running feisty then i recommend to put the ubuntu repository from this page (http://www.exaile.org/downloads) in your software sources and install exaile and gstreamer-equalizer from it .

Thanks! I haven't upgraded yet. Still waiting for my pendrive to arrive so I can backup stuff.

Gonna do a fresh install of gutsy over feisty :)

zekopeko
October 20th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Thanks! I haven't upgraded yet. Still waiting for my pendrive to arrive so I can backup stuff.

Gonna do a fresh install of gutsy over feisty :)

i suggest that you make a 10 to 15 GB partition for root (/) , 1GB swap (more if you have less than 1GB of RAM) , and the rest /home.

that way you don't have to backup because you only need to delete the
root partition and can keep your settings.
also you can make apt-get list all of you installed programs with a simple command in terminal to a text file so when you reinstall you just have to give apt-get that file and it will install all of your programs (if they are in the repos).
i'm not at my ubuntu box so try looking on google for the command. it's very nifty.

Ultra Magnus
October 21st, 2007, 12:06 AM
I agree that gtk based media players do look a bit plain, but its difficult because some themes look cool but are totally impractical for every day stuff - Is it possible to set different themes for different programs?

I've never used ratings so that doesn't bother me, but I it could handle pod casts better - but I think exaile is pretty new so hopefully new features will be added soon.

Like I said before, it was the guitar tab feature that won me over - as far as I know, No other media player automatically grabs the guitar tab for you aswell.

Plus its quite light and speedy and it handles album art really well.

Dimitriid
October 21st, 2007, 12:15 AM
I rather have the "Plain" looks of GTK based Exaile than the look posted on the Amarok 2 screenshots a while back.

Exaile really sold me on the whole "media library" based players. I always went for single xmms/winamp based players but Exaile is really easy to manage and work with without being too much of a memory hog.

GSF
October 21st, 2007, 03:14 AM
just tried it ... and its my choice also from now on.. really fast and cool looking !! thanks for this post :) :)

pt123
October 21st, 2007, 03:44 AM

I think you missed the point, them being open source one would reckon it would be a lot easier to transfer data between them.

misfitpierce
October 21st, 2007, 03:46 AM
A lot of people use exaile. It is a great media player with useful plugins such as alarm and IM playing plugin. I personally use rhythmbox b/c it is there loads fast and is light. Does what its meant to do also :) lol

M!K3_$
October 21st, 2007, 03:46 AM
Amarok Ftw!!!

BLTicklemonster
October 21st, 2007, 03:58 AM
Guitar tabs? Who, what where?

pt123
October 21st, 2007, 04:05 AM
Exaile has a nice interface with the tabs. Rating the songs is a pain compared to RB where you can do it on the playlist, while with Exaile you have to select the song then move your mouse up and use a drop down list to rate the song. And then move back down to select the next song to rate.

Also with dynamic playlists you can't limit the number of tracks to select like in Amarok, which is useful for mp3 players.

The problem with Gnome there are like 4 above average music players, while in KDE there is one top class. Hence with Gnome the development talent pool gets split into 4.

eivind
November 20th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Me too!

Today (yes, it took me that long) I finally dumped Rhythmbox for Exaile. Rhythmbox kept freezing every time I plugged in my Iaudio X5, and Exaile does have some pretty cool features - tabs, album cover downloader, a nice interface, and it speaks my language better than Rhythmbox. Nynorsk! Jah!

:-)

Eivind

BDNiner
November 20th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Wow, i didn't know that rhythmbox was held with such low regard. I like it for one reason alone. I can keep my music on a windows network share and RB can 'see' it. I couldn't get amarok to do the same, also when i rip CDs in RB it transfers the files across the network into the share. it takes quite a bit of time though, so i just rip them from my windows box, but if i am on my laptop then it is great that i don't have to get up just to add another CD to my collection. But I am still looking for a media player with good library features, WMP is still the best for this IMO.

Ratings kick butt, with WMP i often set filters to play all my 4 and 5 star music from a certian year or genre. No one else may use this but i like the feature.

BuffaloX
November 20th, 2007, 09:34 PM

Audacious is my favorite partly because it has a very nice crossfader/ gapless plugin, and a bunch of other nice features.
It's in the repos, so it's very easy to install. :)
It also has many sound enhancing plugins, which is much lacking in almost all Linux players, and it supports all audio codecs I know of.

http://audacious-media-player.org/index.php?title=Main_Page