PDA

View Full Version : SSD Changes Everything

SuperMike
October 20th, 2007, 02:56 PM
The latest news in laptop hardware appears to be SSDs (Solid State Drives).

Samsung SSD Link (http://www.samsungssd.com/what_is_ssd/overview.html)

I think SSD changes everything, and Ubuntu, more than Mac or Windows, can take full advantage of it. The reason is because we're only talking 64GB (expensive), and the less GB you purchase the cheaper the drive is. For some reason, Linux code is tighter. One reason is that many programs are scripts or Python applications. Another reason is that Linux ELF files and shared objects compile tighter and have less architecture goo to fight through. My non-home partition (root and everything else) is just 2.7GB, and that's after installing a lot of things, hosting a website and PostgreSQL database, and so on. Windows Vista or XP can't even touch that.

My /home is 1.9GB and that's just because I have a lot of MP3 files. (My MP3 player won't play OGG.)

Microshaft must be wondering how they've shot themselves in the foot here, I'm sure. I mean the average default Windows components in c:\windows and c:\progra~1 is about 20GB! If Microshaft wants to compete, they'll have to use the Zune OS, call it Vista SSD, and only provide 1/10,000th the power of Ubuntu. That's laugh out loud funny.

n3tfury
October 20th, 2007, 03:03 PM
it's going to be great for both Linux and Windows.

meborc
December 10th, 2007, 02:14 PM
and the way the price is falling... i predict ssd in 50% of all notebooks in 1 year... :)

btw, read this sot the latest/fastest ssd news http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4132

Bartender
December 10th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Jeepers, how come they're wasting so much material with the packaging? Especially the Mtron - an ATX motherboard could fit in that box!

How easy/hard would it be to replace the "old-tech" motorized HDD in an existing laptop with one of these gizmos? Not interested now, but when the prices drop and capacity goes up...

popch
December 10th, 2007, 03:19 PM
How easy/hard would it be to replace the "old-tech" motorized HDD in an existing laptop with one of these gizmos? .

According to the blurb, you just plug in the new one. I recall the times when that used to be called plug compatible.

Eddie Wilson
December 10th, 2007, 04:23 PM
SSD needs a little improvement still. They haven't convinced me that they can last longer then a flash drive which we all know has a limit to how many times you can write to it. As far as Windows goes Microsoft is comming out with a stripped down version of XP to run on old systems and on small systems with SSD. I would have to see it to believe it tho.
Eddie

boast
December 10th, 2007, 04:29 PM
I mean the average default Windows components in c:\windows and c:\progra~1 is about 20GB!

for vista?

windows xp install cd is smaller than ubuntu (by like 200mb)- so if it installs 20gb, thats amazing compression! lol

aaaantoine
December 10th, 2007, 04:56 PM
I still say give it a few years for 64GB and 128GB SSD drives to become affordable. By that time, the wealthy will be able to purchase 256GB and 512GB drives.

aaaantoine
December 10th, 2007, 05:01 PM
...For example, I think this bit from the Dell website says it all:

32GB Solid State Hard Drive, 1.8MM [Included in Price]
64GB Solid State Drive [add $399]

On a laptop (http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=blcwl3h&s=bsd) that starts at $1629 ($2109 before instant savings).

n3tfury
December 10th, 2007, 05:36 PM
...For example, I think this bit from the Dell website says it all:

32GB Solid State Hard Drive, 1.8MM [Included in Price]
64GB Solid State Drive [add $399]

On a laptop (http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=blcwl3h&s=bsd) that starts at $1629 ($2109 before instant savings).

30GB should be good enough for most users anyway. makes more sense to use an external drive for backing up data/music/video anyway - and cheap as hell nowadays.

boast
December 10th, 2007, 06:28 PM
I always thought they should make 4gb flash drives JUST for the OS.

then standard drives for files.

Depressed Man
December 10th, 2007, 09:04 PM
I'd like that (the flash drive for just the OS, and then another HDD for everything else).

SSD are to small for me right now. They'll need to hit at least the 160 GB at a good price before I'll start looking into them (and that's only for my laptop!).

Crick
May 4th, 2008, 01:55 PM
30GB should be good enough for most users anyway. makes more sense to use an external drive for backing up data/music/video anyway - and cheap as hell nowadays.
You don't even need 30Gb. 16Gb would be more than enough for me. +1 on the external drive. 16Gb for OS and your favorite MP3s, a 750Gb HDDs in an external enclosure for everything else.