PDA

View Full Version : I made it!

Mike54
October 20th, 2007, 12:02 PM
My very first experience with Linux was trying a Kubuntu 7.04 Live CD, on 16 September. I've used computers since the very early 80's, but I never gave any real thought to alternative operating systems.

Being concerned about whacking my computer, I did a Wubi install on 17 September. Until last evening, I had not booted into XP since 19 September. I decided to set a goal to be Windows-free by 1 January.

On a second computer, I did a Wubi install of Ubuntu 7.04. After a few days, I wiped Windows and went with a full 7.04 install. I upgraded that one to Gutsy on 14 October.

I hit a minor snag getting a Gutsy Live CD to boot on this computer, but this forum community pointed me in the right direction and I got it working. Gutsy recognized all my hardware, so I decided there was no reason to wait until January.

I booted into Windows, grabbed all my files and didn't look back. Within 30 minutes, I had wiped Windows off my drive and was logging into a full Gutsy installation.

I made it! No more Windows!! And I'm over 60 days ahead of my self-imposed schedule.

I want to say thanks to Canonical and this forum community for not only helping me discover an entirely new OS, but to get me fully migrated into it in just over a month.

Free at last...

Tux Aubrey
October 20th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Wow. Well done. It took me a year to finally delete the old XP partition (but I hadn't used it in six months).

This must be what tight-rope walking feels like the first time they take the net away. Funning thing is, I just looked down and found I was only two feet above the ground!

Mike54
October 20th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Every time I came up against a project that I could easily do in Windows, I looked around to find what my options were in Ubuntu. I found solutions for everything I needed to do, so there was no need to rely on Windows any longer.

I thought I had hit another obstacle this morning, as I tried to log onto my bank's site to pay some bills. I suddenly remembered that site does not play well with Firefox and I no longer had IE to fall back on. So I tried Opera and had no problems at all.

After 15+ years of using Windows, I am finding it just takes an open mind to use Ubuntu. And when you open up your mind, you can then see how good Ubuntu really is. And I'm actually enjoying this learning process (at age 53, no less!), because I'm no longer worried about how my operating system is going to be compromised.

TidusBlade
October 20th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Welcome :) Youll love Ubuntu and the community ;) I would wipe ******* but I just need Photoshop and to get back my router.