PDA

View Full Version : Gutsy Gibbon Experience

Jekster's Lab
October 20th, 2007, 06:13 AM
I'm using feisty fawn and I'm happy with it. Planning to upgrade to Gutsy Gibbon because of some added features. Just wanna hear from those who already upgraded on their experience with the 7.10 version. Is the NTFS read and write feature ok?

fatfranko
October 20th, 2007, 06:21 AM
personally, i love the new release! i had some small problems, but nothing serious. the new features are sick! no problems with NTFS read/write so far!

you might want to read this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3576711&posted=1#post3576711

this shows some problems people encountered. totally worth the risk imo. just backup everything!

loell
October 20th, 2007, 06:21 AM
yeah, i'm also interested to hear from those who already installed or upgraded to gusty, anong masasabi nyo?

i'll have to start downloading it tonight ;)

wersdaluv
October 20th, 2007, 08:41 AM
It's great! It's just that, the leap Feisty from Edgy that Feisty made seems bigger than the leap of Gutsy from Feisty.

Samhain13
October 20th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Did a clean install Friday. It's OK but the log-in screen is initially messed up. I had to edit xorg.conf and remove an erroneous resolution entry, then the screen worked fine. Desktop effects are a lot more stable.

Gutsy still doesn't automatically detect my USB printer/scanner; but like Feisty, it auto-detected everything else. I'll try to use the install script available in another thread and see if it works, then report back here. By the way, I have a Brother DCP-115C. Webcam works as well as other peripherals.

As Loell already knows from another thread, GYachI is missing some dependencies so I'm still not able to install it-- but there's an offer of a quick solution. Pero hihintayin ko na lang yung release ni Loell o nung developer para sure. Pidgin (the new Gaim) works fine although I get banned from irc.Dal.net because of a "host compromised" error-- I suspect their servers don't recognise my client and think it's something malicious, I experienced this with Kopete when I was using Kubuntu 6.10. No problems logging-in to Freenode though.

Firefox, for some reason, crashes a lot but recovers quickly. I think this happens on slow-loading pages with lots of content (i.e. this forum's home page). But not so in Epiphany and in Opera (personal installation). Flash sites are ok, I can watch stuff from YouTube with no problem. Also, the Java plugin works fine (for Chikka, etc). Installing plugins are somewhat easier though.

Basically, at face value, if you're used to Feisty then Gutsy isn't too different an experience.

jpittack
October 20th, 2007, 09:17 AM
My issues are all wireless related. Start up is slower than feisty, mainly due to compiz. average is around 1:10 until I have my desktop and I start searching for wireless.

Samhain13
October 20th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Oh! Before I forget. For some reason, I am not able to use PhpMyAdmin with the new MySQL-Server package. But then, I've experienced this problem with Feisty when MySQL got upgraded to 5-something. However, I'm also reporting this here because I believe the "lowest" version in the Gutsy repository is that MySQL version. Now I'm just using MySQL-Admin instead of PhpMyAdmin (this will take some getting used to).

--[edit]--

Regarding the Brother DCP-115C:
There's a method of installation found here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=105703 And I can confirm that the section about installing the scanner is still applicable in Gutsy.

I can't test the printer though because I don't have ink. :D

Cochise
October 20th, 2007, 11:22 AM
no internet in gutsy for me, probably only a small fix, seems to be affecting other too, other than that my pc starts a lot quicker than it did with feisty

loell
October 20th, 2007, 02:01 PM
sigh :( , i have been viewing gusty related threads and undeniably there are really hardware issues and many negative feedbacks, anyone remember edgy's release? it seems in the release bug meter, gutsy surpassed edgy :( .

Samhain13
October 20th, 2007, 02:17 PM
I've been reading the reviews and complaints too.
Lots of people may have had very high expectations on Gutsy and those weren't met, hence the frustration. But so far, aside from the PhyMyAdmin thing I've reported above, I haven't experienced anything major-- yet. :D

By the way, Edgy was my first taste of anything Linux. So I wouldn't know what sort of trouble people ran into when it was first released. Hehehe...

daxumaming
October 20th, 2007, 03:26 PM
my Kubuntu's fine, however, my Xubuntu's way sluggish as compared to Feisty. I had to change it's swappiness before it responded to my liking.

carlexpc
October 22nd, 2007, 05:46 AM
my problem is with the system time. it seems like the system clock runs faster than expected and when updated using ntpdate, there is a delay on the refresh showing the syncd time.

OrTigaS
October 22nd, 2007, 08:24 AM
Eto Experience ko sa Kubuntu Live CD kanina lang.............

Nitry ko live cd dito sa pc ko with generic KVM switch, hanggang dun lang sya sa scrolling bar then ayaw na magtuloy nag black screen nalang then blink lang yung power led ng monitor ko.

Then after ko inalis sa KVM switch ayun nag ok sya. :)

loell
October 22nd, 2007, 09:21 AM
hmm, despite the not so good feedback from quite a number of threads , my installation did fine, bulletproof X is working nice for me. :)

Pedro0727
October 22nd, 2007, 01:21 PM
Ask ko lng po f anu ang maganda.. upgrade using update manager or install a fresh Gutsy?

kopinux
October 22nd, 2007, 01:57 PM
upgrade yung ginagawa ko.

loell
October 22nd, 2007, 01:59 PM
clean install!! just me ;)

Raistlin355
October 22nd, 2007, 02:02 PM
Did a new install on my Dell Inspirion 1501, works great most things work out of the box, wireless included after you run the restricted drivers. I'm very happy with this release!!!!

Pedro0727
October 22nd, 2007, 03:14 PM
e try ko muna e upgrade.. if maganda ang result. d p kc tapos madownload ung live cd.
ANYWAYS, tnx s po s inyo..

Chilongola
October 23rd, 2007, 01:22 AM
I installed Gutsy last night. Had already test the beta versions a few weeks ago. At that time I experienced some sluggishness only. However now with the "finished" product Kopete opens for a few seconds then closes. Any thoughts. Apart from that everything else seems okay.

perbiu
October 23rd, 2007, 11:43 AM
Sariwa na Install ang ginawa ko, Alternate CD. Wala naman ako naging problema, direderetso. Wala rin ako masabi kasi lahat gumagana na, pati Nvidia Driver isang pindot laang tapos na. Ibang klase talaga ito Ubuntu kaya pala sikat. Ang galing din nang 3D Desktop automatic na. Hindi ba noong panahon isang katutak ang ilalagay mo sa console? Ibang klase talaga.

kopinux
October 24th, 2007, 02:16 AM
upgrade

kaso nag loko kaya nag fresh intall nalang.

nag loloko pag sinasak sak ko yung pangatlong hard disk ko.

outkast08
October 25th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Sabi GUI na raw yung pag configure sa Video Card d na dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg. Nagkaproblem na naman ako sa Ubuntu Feisty ko binalik ko kasi yung dati kong video card dati Nvidia ngayon ATI ulit. Configure ko naman siya ulit gamit yung dpkg nung una nakapag login pa ko at lumabas pa yung desktop. Nung pag bukas ulit pc hanggang Login na lang... :(. Ok naman pag ctrl+alt+F1, F2... puwede ko pa magamit yung console, yung x-server na naman sira.

Anyway start ko na download yung Ubuntu Gutsy Desktop. Fresh install na lang ako.

nan0x01
October 25th, 2007, 07:39 PM
work-around pre, try mo modprobe --remove <video>, tapos modprobe <video>, then start gdm ulit...

you may want to append it sa rc.local mo para every boot ok na siya

na-experience ko rin ang ganyan dati - napupunta siya sa console instead of dun na sa gnome login prompt.

try to visit my blog (http://nan0.wordpress.com/) baka may makuha ka dun ;)

outkast08
October 26th, 2007, 02:54 AM
work-around pre, try mo modprobe --remove <video>, tapos modprobe <video>, then start gdm ulit...

you may want to append it sa rc.local mo para every boot ok na siya

na-experience ko rin ang ganyan dati - napupunta siya sa console instead of dun na sa gnome login prompt.

try to visit my blog (http://nan0.wordpress.com/) baka may makuha ka dun ;)

tnx pre try ko yung modprobe pag uwi ko. Ganda desktop mo pre ah.. Yan ata problem pa ngayon sa Linux medyo kulelat pa sila pagdating sa pa support ng different hardwares. Pero one thing napansin ko mabilis ang pag evolve ng maraming Linux Distribution especially ubuntu :) towards Desktop computing.
Excited na ko mag install nung Gutsy... :mrgreen:

CheshireMac
October 26th, 2007, 04:53 PM
On in my first day of hands-on with it on my HP nc8000, and it's working pretty nicely, minus the extra little bumps it throws at you (Firefox was crashing until I made some repo adjustments).
I like the packaged desk-effects, although I'm yet to figure out how to really customize it. The basics are neat though.
I'll get back with any bugs or tricks later. :)

outkast08
October 27th, 2007, 01:15 AM
What repo adjustments did you do?

outkast08
October 27th, 2007, 04:45 AM
:lolflag: naka Gutsy na ako!!!
Me nagustuhan ako agad dito sa Gutsy.... yung screen and graphis preference. GUI version nung dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg :wink: although importante parin yung pag backup nung /etc/X11/xorg.conf in case mali yung pag configure mo nung screen o graphics card balik mo lang yung dating xorg,conf na backup mo.

Samhain13
October 27th, 2007, 06:02 AM
Hee hee hee! Screenshot! :D
Buo na ulit ang aking payak pero gumaganang multimedia machine.

jsgotangco
October 27th, 2007, 02:56 PM
I have been running it with 2 PC laptops, 1st a BenQ AMD Turion64x2 running 64bit kernel and a Toshiba Tecra M2 Centrino with a 32bit kernel. Almost everything works out of the box for both machines. On a MacBook, I have it running as a 32bit virtual machine in Parallels.

Cochise
October 28th, 2007, 07:09 AM
little update since my first page post - left gutsy on the pc and tweaked around with it and everything is working as it should, its as solid as feisty was for me and a good deal faster.

ragadanga63
November 10th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Gutsy was sort of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde for me.

On my Core2Duo, ATI desktop, everything went flawlessly-from installation to my daily use. I even have compiz fusion working without installing the restricted ATI Video card driver. It is stable as a rock!

On my AMD Turion 64 X2, Nvidia 1600 Compaq laptop it was difficult getting it to work without any problem. First I installed the 32-bit version. It was fine until i installed the restricted NVidia Video driver- I lost hot-plugging and everything slowed down to a crawl. I disabled the NVidia driver, and installed the latest driver downloaded from Nvidia's website. I got my hot-plugging back but lost some window elements like the header bar, window size control buttons, etc.etc.

Installed the AMD64 version of Ubuntu. This time everything worked even after installing the proprietary video card driver. After the installation i tried booting to Vista and then rebooted back to Ubuntu. The laptop went an endless start-reboot cycle. I couldn't even get to the POST stage of BIOS.

Reinstalled Ubuntu 64-bit and is carefully noting down everything I did to my laptop so I'll know what to remove should I have the same problem again.

I know i'll lose my boot anytime now but i have a Super GRUB disk to repair GRUB should this thing happen again.

rjmdomingo2003
November 11th, 2007, 06:14 AM
Hey guys!

Smooth naman ang installation ng Gutsy for me. OK din ang NTFS read/write. Easily detected & mounted yung Maxtor ext. HD ko. Na-migrate ko na rin yung mga files.

Luving Compiz Fusion, pero di ako mag-stick. Still going to go for Fluxbox, and will try Openbox. Syempre, minimalist style always.

:popcorn:

rjmdomingo2003
November 11th, 2007, 06:57 AM
One glaring con for Gutsy...ang bagal mag-load ng desktop.

rjmdomingo2003
November 11th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Toshiba A200 lappy progress so far..

Gutsy pros: Detected & mounted external HD, Sound working, Compiz Fusion working great, Touchpad working

Gutsy cons: Ang bagal mag-load ng desktop, Detected built-in webcam but not working (malamang install ko ulit yung luvcview)..

ragadanga63
November 13th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Gutsy was sort of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde for me.

On my Core2Duo, ATI desktop, everything went flawlessly-from installation to my daily use. I even have compiz fusion working without installing the restricted ATI Video card driver. It is stable as a rock!

On my AMD Turion 64 X2, Nvidia 1600 Compaq laptop it was difficult getting it to work without any problem. First I installed the 32-bit version. It was fine until i installed the restricted NVidia Video driver- I lost hot-plugging and everything slowed down to a crawl. I disabled the NVidia driver, and installed the latest driver downloaded from Nvidia's website. I got my hot-plugging back but lost some window elements like the header bar, window size control buttons, etc.etc.

Installed the AMD64 version of Ubuntu. This time everything worked even after installing the proprietary video card driver. After the installation i tried booting to Vista and then rebooted back to Ubuntu. The laptop went an endless start-reboot cycle. I couldn't even get to the POST stage of BIOS.

Reinstalled Ubuntu 64-bit and is carefully noting down everything I did to my laptop so I'll know what to remove should I have the same problem again.

I know i'll lose my boot anytime now but i have a Super GRUB disk to repair GRUB should this thing happen again.

It seems I lose my GRUB whenever I install an app in Vista. Last time it happened, I installed Open Office. It occurred again yesterday after I installed Photoshop. Really weird huh? Anybody has any idea why this happens?

business.geek
November 14th, 2007, 01:30 AM
One glaring con for Gutsy...ang bagal mag-load ng desktop.

same here, booting up from gdm to desktop seem a lot slower than feisty and i have compizfusion turned off by default (i had hoped it was related)

Chilongola
November 14th, 2007, 04:15 AM
still cannot play .wma files

raxso
November 19th, 2007, 02:27 PM
So far i dont have any problems with my Dell Laptop (Inspiron 6400) It is working fine after some tweaking, for wireless Im using still using ndiswrapper.I'll rate at 10 perfect for my laptop. :guitar:

Magnes
November 19th, 2007, 03:24 PM
For me Feisty was faster. Don't know why though... maybe the kernel, maybe some of the programs I use, maybe older version of XOrg was faster on my computer or Compiz Fusion? Hm...

Samhain13
November 19th, 2007, 03:34 PM
I can attest to the slow log-in in Gutsy. I like it nonetheless but yeah, it really gets annoying sometimes.

mumushi
November 21st, 2007, 05:31 AM
Everything went fine for me except for my Nvidia GeForce 8500GT because the time i installed Gutsy, there was no linux support for it yet since it was one of their new models. That prevented me from using my desktop effects and 3D app.

mumushi
November 21st, 2007, 05:32 AM
sorry for the double post...

Nessa
November 22nd, 2007, 11:54 PM
Tingin niyo, safe na mag-upgrade?

nan0x01
November 23rd, 2007, 12:08 AM
Too bloated for me - switched to Xubuntu

rjmdomingo2003
November 23rd, 2007, 07:49 AM
Tingin niyo, safe na mag-upgrade?
Sinubukan ko mag-update, and despite na paputol-putol yung internet connection ko, wala namang na-corrupt or na-erase na file or file part. So for me, it was relatively safe.

Finally decided to do a clean install.

outkast08
November 23rd, 2007, 10:08 AM
basta NVidia card ko sa tingin ko d na ko masyado gagamit ng Windows... :)