PDA

View Full Version : new programmer

tmasboa
August 19th, 2005, 05:22 PM
I have been programming in Visual Basic 6.0 and 2003.NET but now I'm mainly using Linux (Ubuntu) and now I was wondering what is the best programming application to start with?
I'm interested in learning C++ because I think that's what most Linux apps are programmed in.

Any suggestions? I tried Kdevelop but it's not very "visual"

Thanks

DJ_Max
August 19th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Hard to tell what most Linux apps are programmed, because everyone's different, it comes down to personal preference. Some favor emacs or vi, while others prefere Anjuta.

Mike Buksas
August 20th, 2005, 07:29 PM
I have been programming in Visual Basic 6.0 and 2003.NET but now I'm mainly using Linux (Ubuntu) and now I was wondering what is the best programming application to start with?
I'm interested in learning C++ because I think that's what most Linux apps are programmed in.

Any suggestions? I tried Kdevelop but it's not very "visual"

Thanks

You might give Eclipse (http://www.eclipse.org) a try. I haven't used it on Ubuntu, so I can't advise on installation. (It's not in the Universe repository.)

You may have a hard time finding anything as visual as Visual Basic for Linux, without shelling out for commercial software. Linux's Unix heritage strongly influences the kind of tools available for it and the Unix tradition is definitely more toward small light-weight tools which can be combined to do larger tasks. A powerful text editor (e.g. emacs, or plenty of others) with syntax highlighting and other support for the language, plus your compiler (g++ for C++) and a debugger (try DDD) can be as powerful as in integrated development environment. It'll just take some getting used to,

Mike