PDA

View Full Version : any advice on starting a webhosting and computer consutling business?

jman623
October 20th, 2007, 03:42 AM
Hi All,

I need some advice for starting a little side business involving webhosting and computer consulting.

I was thinking of getting a VPS(i like to have total control ;-) ) and offering webhosting services (PHP/Python/Perl, CMS, FTP, e-mail etc) In addition I want to offer consulting services such as setting up servers for small businesses, setting up home wireless networks, basic web design, and general PC repair and support. (maybe I can even install and support ubuntu as part of the package ;) )

I am not expecting this to be lucrative, I am just looking for some extra chump change and for the love and passion of it all. I am probably going to stick to my local area.

any advice or ideas on how to get started?

southernman
October 20th, 2007, 04:29 AM
see http://www.webhostingtalk.com

CaptainTux
October 20th, 2007, 04:44 AM
I work for a webhosting company in Chicago. to do it and do it well it is not a part time venture. I would not advise going into web hosting as a one horse show.

Consulting. I ran a Linux Migration firm for 4 years. Some of my clients included Linspire, Novell, Intel, Microcenter, State of Indiana Board of Education and some other entities.

Consulting is a good part time venture.

I would go to the library and check out Guerrilla Marketing, Consulting for Dummies, and develop a business plan.

Start slowly and build up. You can always grow, but it hurts to shrink in the beginning.

jman623
October 20th, 2007, 04:59 AM
I work for a webhosting company in Chicago. to do it and do it well it is not a part time venture. I would not advise going into web hosting as a one horse show.

Consulting. I ran a Linux Migration firm for 4 years. Some of my clients included Linspire, Novell, Intel, Microcenter, State of Indiana Board of Education and some other entities.

Consulting is a good part time venture.

I would go to the library and check out Guerrilla Marketing, Consulting for Dummies, and develop a business plan.

Start slowly and build up. You can always grow, but it hurts to shrink in the beginning.

Good advice I'll have to have a look at some of those books, though I higihly doubt I'll be doing migrations for big organizations like those, I'll probably be working with individuals and small businesses since this is only a part time venture.

Most of my support services will be for Windows (especially for "average joe" home users) but I will probably use this as a venture to market linux and offer to install, support and configure it.

CaptainTux
October 20th, 2007, 05:06 AM
When I started I was a stay at home dad looking for some extra coin and something to do. My clients were initially the old lady down the street, a small church, and a tiny montessori school.

There is one more thing I would say... if you say you can do something, make sure you can. The Marketing book I suggested s wonderful. It shows how a little guy can do some pretty neat stuff on a limited budget.

Also, little touches. Nice business cards, a clean website, a extra phone line in the house, etc.

I joined the local chamber of commerce and that was my main source for initial clients. I had fun. There are days I miss it.

Have fun. :):):)

CaptainTux
October 20th, 2007, 05:07 AM
Feel free to PM me if you like and I will give you my email addy. As you move into this new adventure...feel free to ask me questions.

Cheers!