PDA

View Full Version : Torrent only release?

nickburns
October 20th, 2007, 12:33 AM
I was one of the fools that stayed up all night waiting for Gusty, only to download .iso as slow as tar. (even with torrent)

I have put some thought to it and wonder:

What would be wrong with only allowing torrent download for the next release (HardyHeron), at least for a day or two? It seems like a more efficient way to download and would be less stress on the servers.

Also it seems that many have access to high speed internet and server room/storage, why can't we come up with a better solution to distribute this. (ie What if there were more mirrors?)

I guess how can I help make life easier for all?

bruce89
October 20th, 2007, 12:35 AM
What if your ISP blocks bittorrent or slows it down (like mine)?

x0as
October 20th, 2007, 12:41 AM
What if your ISP blocks bittorrent or slows it down (like mine)?

You have to wait 2 days :lolflag:

Seriously though, it would never work. There's too many users who for one reason or another cant use torrents.

hellmet
October 20th, 2007, 12:59 AM
My Univ blocks torrents too.. I can only download the ISO..

nickburns
October 20th, 2007, 01:01 AM
So that would not work for some, but there has got to be a better solution for the majority.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks that have access to T1 lines and servers that could help. I know that I am going to look into a mirror for next release, I'm sure every bit would help.

bruce89
October 20th, 2007, 02:35 AM
When the normal ISO appears, there would be a big slowdown, but it would be delayed 2 days.

venator260
October 20th, 2007, 02:45 AM
I had to dig a bit to find a link for the torrent file. Now, either I'm lacking in intelligence, or the link for the .iso is hard to find. I would think that they would want to offer that on the front page, to keep as much load off of the servers as they can.

the_darkside_986
October 20th, 2007, 03:20 AM
Yeah it's way at the bottom of the page, the big long download list page that is. They should put it somewhere on the simple download page, that would be helpful. Actually I found the link to the torrent a few hours before the official release. Someone posted it in IRC.

Polygon
October 20th, 2007, 06:56 AM
the current method of release is fine....the only problem is that the torrent file is hidden...if you try to dl it on the main page you will be directed to download it via HTTP....there should be a link on the main page asking you if you want to download it via HTTP or bittorrent

and the torrent is only slow at the beginning is because it starts out with one guy seeding it... once other people start getting the entire cd and seeding to other people it really picks up...im showing like 3000+ seeders atm :D

sayuki288
October 20th, 2007, 07:00 AM
using update manager is much better :lolflag:

Polygon
October 20th, 2007, 07:06 AM
using update manager is much better :lolflag:

it uses http.....which means if your trying to upgrade within the first few days...its pretty much impossible. i know when i did the edgy to feisty upgrade using update manager i was getting nice speeds of less then 1kb per second.....

Paqman
October 20th, 2007, 10:34 AM
there should be a link on the main page asking you if you want to download it via HTTP or bittorrent

I agree. The download page is fairly cluttered already, so it's not like it would add a lot of confusion.

stimpack
October 20th, 2007, 10:52 AM
I agree. The download page is fairly cluttered already, so it's not like it would add a lot of confusion.

Thirded.

Took some time to find the torrent link, torrents.ubuntu.com:6969 is not exactly easy to find, at least it wasn't for me,

insane_alien
October 20th, 2007, 11:08 AM
yeah i think it should include an option to get the torent on the main download page(a simple check box ould do fine) perhaps telling you nicely that this is the preffered method if it is available to you?

bigbrovar
October 20th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Many of us using ubuntu are from developing countries with poor internet connection..but even with that we still get to some how download the ubuntu iso..now making it limited to only torrent is like a death sentence..that means we would have to wait for 6weeks for out shipit cds to avrrive..in that case the next ubuntu release comes out in May for us cus that is when majority of us can ever get a realistic chance of getting the cd....very sad :(

lode
October 20th, 2007, 12:16 PM
My Univ blocks torrents too.. I can only download the ISO..

Mine too. Damn bastards :)