PDA

View Full Version : Debian KDE install from netinst cd?

67GTA
October 19th, 2007, 11:33 PM
I wanted to install a complete Debian KDE desktop using the netist CD. If I use the mirrors during installation, it will install Gnome. What command would I use to install the KDE desktop only? I know sometimes apps have different names in Ubuntu than in Debian. When I install and boot into CLI, what do I apt-get?

scrooge_74
October 20th, 2007, 04:11 AM
sudo apt-get install kde

(at least that is what synaptic calls the package)

bhagabhi
October 20th, 2007, 05:36 AM
Sounds like you have a gnome netinstall cd - there are ones with pure KDE or XFCE -

KDE here:
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/4.0_r1/i386/iso-cd/debian-40r1-i386-kde-CD-1.iso

Check out this folder for the others:
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/4.0_r1/i386/iso-cd/

EDIT: oops - thought there was specific ones for KDE/XFCE too, but it seems like there isn't this alternative if you specifically want the netinstall... :(

scrooge_74
October 20th, 2007, 02:30 PM
One CD to install them all

kerry_s
October 20th, 2007, 03:00 PM
I wanted to install a complete Debian KDE desktop using the netist CD. If I use the mirrors during installation, it will install Gnome. What command would I use to install the KDE desktop only? I know sometimes apps have different names in Ubuntu than in Debian. When I install and boot into CLI, what do I apt-get?

apt-get install xorg synaptic kdm kde
reboot(ctrl+alt+delete)

should install X, the login manager and all of kde, synaptic is the package manager.

you might want to go lighter

apt-get install xorg synaptic kdm kde-core
reboot(ctrl+alt+delete)

then you can just select the extra stuff you want after you login and see whats there.

plb
October 21st, 2007, 12:07 AM
wrong wrong && WRONG! :)

When you get to the boot prompt on the netinstall CD do this:

tasks=kde-desktop

Now when you choose desktop environment it will install KDE rather than GNOME...Cheers! Be sure to visit forums.debian.net =)

kellemes
October 22nd, 2007, 11:36 AM

Now when you choose desktop environment it will install KDE rather than GNOME...Cheers! Be sure to visit forums.debian.net =)

Cool little fact! :)

tdrusk
October 22nd, 2007, 07:02 PM
I just do an install, and when it asks what mirrors I select cancel. Then I reboot into a commandline and run the above apt-get command.

SkyNet2029
October 23rd, 2007, 06:28 AM
I just do a base install, then UNselect desktop environment...then I let it run and apt-get install kdecore. Same diff I suppose.

tdrusk
October 27th, 2007, 03:29 PM

This doesn't work for me

someguy435
October 27th, 2007, 11:52 PM
This doesn't work for me

try:

install tasks=kde-desktop

or

install tasks="kde-desktop, standard"

The "install" part was just left off by plb. Hit F8 at the boot prompt to see this example.