PDA

View Full Version : Will Leopard have Converts?

Black Mage
October 19th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Before I got onto Ubuntu, I was a die hard Mac Fan, everything I did was on a Mac. But I got tired of Mac and decided to try Ubuntu and fell in love again.

On October 26th, Apple plans to drop its newest operating system, Leopard. Leopard seems to have a lot of new features just from watching the previous, obviously blowing Windows out the water. But is it enough to out do Ubuntu and get people to convert to apple?

Whats your view on Ubuntu vs Leopard?

n3tfury
October 19th, 2007, 06:29 PM
here we go.

Black Mage
October 19th, 2007, 06:33 PM
I'm just saying, when it comes to Ubuntu and Windows, Ubuntu wins hands down. But when it comes to Mac, and now Mac OS Leopard vs Ubuntu, idk. Its hard to pick.

n3tfury
October 19th, 2007, 06:35 PM
you're not going to get valid comparisons unless someon's tried both gutsy AND leopard. and most people here have not (no idea if there's a leopard beta, but it's BETA)

n3tfury
October 19th, 2007, 06:35 PM
I'm just saying, when it comes to Ubuntu and Windows, Ubuntu wins hands down.

that's subjective.

bashveank
October 19th, 2007, 06:48 PM
From what I've seen Leopard doesn't have a single feature that isn't available on Linux, 'cept for the overpriced part, that is.

glupee
October 19th, 2007, 06:56 PM
pft! i'll take windows over mac n e day,, thankfully i don't have to! :D

Henry Rayker
October 19th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Will a new toolbox be filled with new tools?

lyceum
October 19th, 2007, 07:37 PM
I have desided to get a MacBook pro, but I am going to put Ubuntu on it. Mac looks nice, but I love Ubuntu. I do want to see if I can get Leopard to run in VMware though.

:)

Ultra Magnus
October 19th, 2007, 08:04 PM
I think the one feature of OS X that Id like in Ubuntu is time machine - timevault looks promising but is still in alpha - Apart from that, its kind of impracticle to convert to OS X because it obviously only works on Mac hardware which is way beyond my price range. Also I think I'd miss stuff like apt, compiz and the general feeling that following linux is more than just following a company. (Oh yea and ubuntuforums!)

Also I can't stand the Mac interface - The universal menu bar is a bad idea and don't get me started about the dock.

Mr. Picklesworth
October 19th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Leopard looks really well designed.

A Python applet superior to Apple's Stacks is coming along well at this computer (and probably a few other people are attempting it, too).

Apple's "Back to my Mac" feature via .Mac is pretty cool. I had been wondering about such a thing a while ago, and it does indeed seem that the best way is a centralized service.
This could be handled really easily, though, without the ugly centralization, just by connecting to an IP address (it's no less cryptic than a phone number!). Only needs to happen once, and cool things can be done to work around the trouble with changing IP addresses (which I presume is the reason they use the .Mac service for this). For example, daemons running on Ubuntu machines could be designed to communicate with each other via centralized services that have domain names, such as email and messenger protocols. Perhaps Jabber could be used exclusively -- that would be neat. So, if the computer's IP address changes, all the trusted computers that can connect to it are alerted via that reliable Internet service.

The rest doesn't really interest me. Quick Documents Previewing is something I am very happy has not happened in GNOME. It is a waste of time. Why bloatify the file manager with that feature? All it should do is open the file with the right program. A cool alternative, possible within the current infrastructure and potentially very intuitive, would be a makeover for the document viewer, allowing it to view a huge variety of formats under a plugin infrastructure. It could find file type associations for what it is viewing, and thus offer stuff such as an Edit option for files.

Recent files / searches built in to the file manager happens with the GTK File Open widget, which is rapidly becoming a better file manager than Nautilus :P

CaptainTux
October 19th, 2007, 09:41 PM
I think there are always people who are looking for an OS platform to be "married" to. Various people come to an Operating System for a variety of reasons. Someone looking for an alternative to MS may waffle between Ubuntu and Apple.

That really does not concern me. I do not think it will rob ubuntu of millions of users and I think both Ubuntu and Apple will continue to grow in marketshare.

Vista's WOW is not really now and the adoption hurdle has people looking for alternatives. I think both Ubuntu and Apple OS X have significant advantages for people seeking alternatives. They both also have their strengths and their weaknesses.

It really depends on the expectations, needs, and desires of the individual user.

brokenstrides
October 19th, 2007, 11:08 PM
I'm currently dual-booting Gutsy and XP on my main box, and Feisty and XP on my laptop. I only keep XP for iTunes, Photoshop, and WoW. I have WoW running in Gutsy very well, and I have been looking into Photoshop in Gutsy, or just switching to the Gimp... iTunes is my main concern, for now...

But I like Ubuntu because I can make it look REALLY nice, without having to pay anything. Macs are awesome, but I, too, am already very fond of repositories, and this forums, and I love changing and messing with my OS. I can't go back to MS or Apple, and then have to spend hours in google looking for the files I need to install something when in Ubuntu it's all in the repos, for the most part.

Dixon Bainbridge
October 19th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Eyecanding is always nice. But day to day, just how much eyecandy do you need to be effective? I would love Apple to implement a way to downside OSX, so its a little lighter. All that bling is fine for ten minutes of goggling but after that I don't need 3dscrollingelasticatedfolderbling to resize a folder of photo's.

Fluxbox is the nearest I've found to perfection in terms of lightness and effectiveness.