PDA

View Full Version : VMware and 7.10

Black Mage
October 19th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Has anyone experienced a problem with running VMware in 7.10? When I try to power on a machine, it exits with an error.

Unable to change virtual machine power state: The process exited with an error:
End of error message.

tpearson@alltel.net
October 19th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Since the last update of Gusty last week I have been having similar problem.

I click on player and it begins to load and disappears. I have been having to rerun vmware-configure.pl everytime i reboot my machine. I have not tried to stop machine and start back up in same session.

tilapia
October 19th, 2007, 04:54 PM
I have the same problem. I think I read somewhere here yesterday that the vmware kernel module isn't yet available for certain kernels. I'm running 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP and when I do an apt-cache search for vmware I only get the 2.6.20 kernel modules listed as available.

Can anyone confirm or deny if I am barking up the wrong tree?

Black Mage
October 19th, 2007, 04:55 PM
But do you atleast get yours to work though?

And what command is vmware-configure.pl?

tilapia
October 19th, 2007, 05:03 PM
I had Vmware Server already installed. The console starts up fine, but when I try to fire up a vm I get the message "Unable to change virtual machine power state: The process exited with an error. End of message."

If you go to Advanced and then Enable debugging information you get a more detailed message which says this is because it could not open /dev/vmmon. Make sure the kernel module vmmon is loaded.

That's what makes me believe that this is kernel related. Is it possible to reinstall then? Anyone got Vmware Server working at yet?

tilapia
October 19th, 2007, 05:09 PM
VMWare server is not available right now.

See here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=579347&highlight=vmware+gutsy

Black Mage
October 22nd, 2007, 04:58 PM
I had Vmware Server already installed. The console starts up fine, but when I try to fire up a vm I get the message "Unable to change virtual machine power state: The process exited with an error. End of message."

If you go to Advanced and then Enable debugging information you get a more detailed message which says this is because it could not open /dev/vmmon. Make sure the kernel module vmmon is loaded.

That's what makes me believe that this is kernel related. Is it possible to reinstall then? Anyone got Vmware Server working at yet?

Yea, that is what it said. So how do Ioad the vmmon module?