PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for Article? How-To on SSH

jacrider
October 19th, 2007, 04:17 PM
In an effort to manage the computers in my house, I would like to become better versed in how to use SSH. I have failed miserably so far. Any chance of getting that on the editorial list?

Love the magazine.

catfacts
October 19th, 2007, 09:12 PM
I can try to find someone but will most likely fail as i have no clue what you are talking about. But if it involves networks im a noob. But if you really want to help find someone who would like to write an article yourself, ask around the community cafe, search google and seek out a guru! It sounds interesting as I have multiple computers and use flash drives as my "network" but again I may not be understanding SSH.

mrmonday
October 21st, 2007, 07:08 PM
SSH is a way of controlling a PC remotely and securely. I use it all the time :D the basic syntax is

ssh <user>@<host>
Obviously the host needs to have an ssh server running on their PC. It's a really simple way of having command line access on a remote PC. If you need a GUI, then you can use VNC. As for how to set up the server, I don't know, but I should imagine it is really just configuring a config file, then making it run automatically at start up. In the #6 Q&A there will be a simple thing about using nautilus for ssh file management. As always though, a quick google should solve your problems :D Look for an ssh server in synaptic then google for its documentation :)

Hope this helps :)

ronniet
October 21st, 2007, 08:03 PM
SSH is a way of controlling a PC remotely and securely. I use it all the time :D the basic syntax is

ssh <user>@<host>

Excellent, thank you for volunteering mrm, have that article on my desk asap... :KS

mrmonday
October 21st, 2007, 08:11 PM
Excellent, thank you for volunteering mrm, have that article on my desk asap... :KS

That's about as far as my knowledge goes on that one... However linuxgeekery has set up an SSH server, which I use...

ronniet
October 21st, 2007, 08:17 PM
That's about as far as my knowledge goes on that one... However linuxgeekery has set up an SSH server, which I use...

Amazing isn't it how people say 'i do it aaaaall the time' then when you ask them to explain it they'll point to someone else and say 'but he set it up!' :D

ok, we'll agree to volunteer linuxgeekery then... :KS

LG, get writing, your fans await... :D

TopasPV
October 22nd, 2007, 12:37 PM
As for how to set up the server, I don't know, but I should imagine it is really just configuring a config file, then making it run automatically at start up.

In fact, it's as simple as this:

sudo apt-get install ssh

ronniet
October 22nd, 2007, 01:33 PM
In fact, it's as simple as this:

sudo apt-get install ssh

Ooh, another volunteer... :KS

linuxgeekery
October 23rd, 2007, 04:39 AM
I got bored and wrote a general SSH article - so this one's closed (at least a general one). Feel free to write a more specific article - file transfers, tips n' tricks, etc.

jacrider
October 24th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Thanks Linuxgeek. I look forward to reading it in an upcoming issue.

ncappel1
October 25th, 2007, 10:10 AM
linuxgeekery, when you connect to another computer with ssh, will the remote machine display what you're doing? like an invisible person using the computer? just my curiosity.