PDA

View Full Version : That's It - I Give Up!

fasteddy86
October 19th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Well, that's it. I'm done with Ubuntu (before I even started). I've tried - and failed - to install every flavour of Ubuntu since 5.04. The livecd always hangs (different versions hang at different spots, but they always hang). I've lurked around the forums and tried every conceivable option suggested, nv, vesa, acpi=off, etc., etc., etc.

I've tried the altenate install cd. No go. I've tried Kubuntu and Xubuntu. Nope.

When I read that 7.10 had "Bulletproof-X" I thought, "Hey, this might just do it!" But of course it hasn't helped. I really don't know what the problem is, but that's okay. I don't need Ubuntu anymore.

I've got PCLinux OS. It installed with no problems and does everything I need it to do.

If anyone else is in the same situation, you should seriously consider PCLOS. I think you'll be impressed.

fasteddy out.

FredB
October 19th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Well, that's it. I'm done with Ubuntu (before I even started). I've tried - and failed - to install every flavour of Ubuntu since 5.04. The livecd always hangs (different versions hang at different spots, but they always hang). I've lurked around the forums and tried every conceivable option suggested, nv, vesa, acpi=off, etc., etc., etc.

I've tried the altenate install cd. No go. I've tried Kubuntu and Xubuntu. Nope.

When I read that 7.10 had "Bulletproof-X" I thought, "Hey, this might just do it!" But of course it hasn't helped. I really don't know what the problem is, but that's okay. I don't need Ubuntu anymore.

I've got PCLinux OS. It installed with no problems and does everything I need it to do.

If anyone else is in the same situation, you should seriously consider PCLOS. I think you'll be impressed.

fasteddy out.

That's your choice. Since Dapper, I did not use any other distribution. If you don't want to use Ubuntu, don't be masochist, please leave. Many other people are happy with one of the ubuntu flavour.

Have a good day.

gn2
October 19th, 2007, 02:25 PM
I returned to Xubuntu from PCLinuxOS because I couldn't get PCLinuxOS (or it's XFCE derivative Sam Linux) installed on my old laptop.
No "Alternate CD" option with PCLinuxOS AFAIK.
I like to have the same distro and settings on my desktop and laptop, Ubuntu is the only distro I've found which can run on both.

frodon
October 19th, 2007, 02:30 PM

fasteddy out.That's the problem when you have "exotic " hardware made for windows.
Next time you buy a computer buy a linux compatible one so you will never have this kind of issue anymore.

fasteddy86
October 19th, 2007, 02:31 PM
That's your choice. Since Dapper, I did not use any other distribution. If you don't want to use Ubuntu, don't be masochist, please leave. Many other people are happy with one of the ubuntu flavour.

Have a good day.

I think you misunderstand. Clearly I wanted to use Ubuntu. I've been trying for over 2 years (off and on) to get some flavour - any flavour! - of it to work. But I've been unable. I know that there are others in the same boat. The only point of this post is to tell those in the same situation - few though there may be - that there is another option in the user friendly linux space. PCLinux OS.

Sorry to offend.

enchesss
October 19th, 2007, 02:36 PM
i have also felt this way and gutsy has also failed to work but the installation went much better..

i can not install ubuntu using mt ati card and this is really frusturating.

but i am sticking to it. basically becuase pclinux has same difficulties.

why is it so hard to install ubuntu using a video card.

cant the drivers just revert to vga or something useable instead of locking up or rebooting the machine?

I really want to figure out the problem and have tried everything suggested in all forums but still it does not work.

fasteddy86
October 19th, 2007, 02:39 PM
That's the problem when you have "exotic " hardware made for windows.
Next time you buy a computer buy a linux compatible one so you will never have this kind of issue anymore.

I hope this is tongue in cheek. I'm running an AMD-64 3000+ in a Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra-939 mainboard, with 1 gig pc3200 ddr (2x 512 samsung in dual channel mode), and an NVidia FX5500 gfx card.
Hardly exotic.

samuraiCat
October 19th, 2007, 02:40 PM

fasteddy out.

Hey, I might be able to help! I was trying to install Ubuntu and kept getting freezes like that, but none of those boot options worked. I was about to throw it in when I came across a post that explained that for this specific problem, adding only "vga=792" worked:

http://cro.alienpants.com/index.php/2007/05/05/getting-ubuntu-running-on-my-compaq-f500/

Unless, of course, you like PCLinuxOS more. If you like PCLOS, try Granular Linux, too! It's even easier.

daxm
October 19th, 2007, 02:41 PM
This whole thread reminds me of how I feel about my car.

When it is running smoothly I'm so happy and proud that I don't have a car payment. BUT when even the slightest event occurs (or when a major one) I hate the machine and start thinking about replacing it! Once again, after it is repaired it is back on my good side.

Frustration is a very weird monster isn't it.

raul_
October 19th, 2007, 02:41 PM
I'm just curious, did you try to install Linux Mint?

I hear that PCLinuxOS is a good distro, so you're in good hands anyway :)

Wiebelhaus
October 19th, 2007, 02:42 PM
I Understand your plight and PCLOS is a top notch fantastic Distrobution , it's not a mistake that it's king of the hill at the moment , the only negative comment I have about is that there is no release path , I've spoken with the dev Texstar and as honest as he could be laid it out like this , That PCLOS is a grass roots operation with limited funds and they work on it when they can , bottom line - improved releases will come as time allows , can't fault those people for doing what they can when they can and doing it well.

A small hint , use the debian.net/com/org repos , much faster and reliable.

megamania
October 19th, 2007, 02:43 PM
I think you misunderstand. Clearly I wanted to use Ubuntu.
But why waste your time with Ubuntu when PClinuxos works for you?

I'm not being sarcastic - it's still linux, so just use what works best for you.

frodon
October 19th, 2007, 02:45 PM
I hope this is tongue in cheek. I'm running an AMD-64 3000+ in a Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra-939 mainboard, with 1 gig pc3200 ddr (2x 512 samsung in dual channel mode), and an NVidia FX5500 gfx card.
Hardly exotic.And you checked the linux compatibility before buying it ? Fully linux compatibles hardware are not necessarily those who are the most sold.

Moved to recurring discussions.

tech9
October 19th, 2007, 02:57 PM
I think you misunderstand. Clearly I wanted to use Ubuntu. I've been trying for over 2 years (off and on) to get some flavour - any flavour! - of it to work. But I've been unable. I know that there are others in the same boat. The only point of this post is to tell those in the same situation - few though there may be - that there is another option in the user friendly linux space. PCLinux OS.

Sorry to offend.

Maybe your problem is hardware related... if it keeps hanging.

As for myself, I have install ubunutu on 3 different boxes and have had no problems. Ubuntu ROCKS!

In my opinion, it is the best linux flavore out there!

tbroderick
October 19th, 2007, 04:42 PM
That's the problem when you have "exotic " hardware made for windows.

Ubuntu is not Linux,

He did say PCLinuxOS works fine, so clearly it's not an "exotic" hardware problem and more likely a bug with Ubuntu.