PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Cd Sharing

garethrv
October 19th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Hey Everyone,

Wasnt quite sure where to post this, or if something like it already exists.

I propose this fully aware that most Linux users have ample download allowance, however I have just moved into a place and am sharing 2gb a month and am feeling the pain of not being able to jump on and download 7.10.

If there is anyone in Brisbane who has downloaded Gutsy and would be happy to share a disk, I would happily burn more disks to pass on to any others in a similar situation.

I am sure there are a few guys out there that would like the new release but are limited by download limits or speed restrictions.

So anyone interested, I just setup shareubuntu@gmail.com so let me know, I am happy to put a bit of time to help out anyone in the same position as I am.

Looking forward to letting Gutsy rip!

Cheers,

Gareth.

Zill
October 19th, 2007, 10:13 AM
You can order Gutsy disks directly from Ubuntu via https://shipit.ubuntu.com/ but delivery may take up to ten weeks.
If you aren't so patient then you could use a distributor such as http://linuxdisks.com.au/, who, I guess, should supply Gutsy very soon :-)

garethrv
October 19th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Hey,

Yeah I saw that it takes 6 to 10 weeks so I figured we could set up a sharing network just like p2p but in the physical world.

Like I said, any one interested, just let me know.

Gareth.

fluteflute
October 19th, 2007, 09:53 PM
It says 6 - 10 weeks but is usually fast for me in the UK (1-2 weeks), and I guess possibly even faster in the US!

sailor2001
October 19th, 2007, 10:32 PM
download via bittorrent........takes about 20 min.

bobbocanfly
October 19th, 2007, 10:38 PM
It says 6 - 10 weeks but is usually fast for me in the UK (1-2 weeks), and I guess possibly even faster in the US!

AS far as i can remember from my last ShipIt delivery, they came from Amsterdam. Might only be for European orders though. There may be a US dispatch centre.

Ps. !offtopic | sailor2001, if only we had ubotu in ubuntuforums.org

n3tfury
October 19th, 2007, 10:40 PM
download via bittorrent........takes about 20 min.

pay attention.

garethrv
October 23rd, 2007, 11:01 AM
Come on Brisbane, I am hearing so many good things about Gutsy.

Nunu
October 23rd, 2007, 11:05 AM
Mine usually comes from Egypt :P

Paqman
October 23rd, 2007, 11:12 AM
Does Brisbane have a Freecycle scheme? That could be a ready-made framework for you to exploit.

garethrv
October 30th, 2007, 04:41 AM
so..........

Spike-X
October 30th, 2007, 05:06 AM
If you're after the 64-bit version, I can mail you a copy.

garethrv
October 31st, 2007, 01:07 AM
Hey Spike,

Unfortunately I am after the 32bit flavor. Thanks for the offer though. I assume the offer is open to anyone who might be stuck like I am (however looking for 64 bit.)

If there were more than a couple you could send one on to me and I could send more on.

Thanks again for the contribution.

Anyone need 64 bit????

Cheers,

Gareth

Spike-X
October 31st, 2007, 10:06 AM
Yeah, of course. Anyone in Australia who's after a Gutsy 64-bit disc, PM me.

macogw
October 31st, 2007, 10:27 AM
AS far as i can remember from my last ShipIt delivery, they came from Amsterdam. Might only be for European orders though. There may be a US dispatch centre.

Ps. !offtopic | sailor2001, if only we had ubotu in ubuntuforums.org

I think our LoCo's last Feisty shipment was from Amsterdam too (note that I'm in the US)

garethrv
October 31st, 2007, 10:38 PM
Hey everyone,

A very kind community member has just PM'd me offering to send me a disk. So any one else out there that is looking for a disk, I will be able to send out copies to you. Just let me know where you are.

Spike-X
November 1st, 2007, 08:21 AM
Glad you've got it sorted, and it's great to see you're willing to pass it on.

garethrv
November 8th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Alright,

As of yesterday I am the proud new user of Ubuntu 7.10!

I love it, installed awn and compiz config manager and have been having all kinds of fun.

If anyone needs a copy of the cd I have the iso on my desktop and a pile of blank CD's at the ready.

looking forward to helping someone out.