PDA

View Full Version : Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

frodon
October 19th, 2007, 08:20 AM
The purpose of this thread is to share your experience installing/upgrading gutsy.

Did it worked flawlessly ?
Did you got problems ?
Did you manage to solve them ?
if yes how ?

Feel free to post your experience here and think to explain how you solved the problems you got, it might help other users in your case.

Thank you for contributing :KS

ElSeeDee
October 19th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Updated through Ubuntu and (after a 13-14 hour process) I rebooted to a new, working version. Yay!

DavidTangye
October 19th, 2007, 09:33 AM
I voted "Upgrade worked flawlessly". I did have to install the restricted nvidia driver, and activate the 3D stuff, but I consider this an 'extra', as the system works ok without it, so I do not count them as issues that 'need' resolving.

DeadEyes
October 19th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Where's the upgrade failed or didn't even get started option. I tried to upgrade through the update manager but the servers are obviously going into meltdown. I'll leave it for a few days now.

zasf
October 19th, 2007, 09:53 AM
I'm going to upgrade right now. I wanted to have a look at the forums in order to know some other's experience before doing it.

Forum staff should encourage people with positive upgrades experience to write on the forum, since I assume only people with bad experiences write posts looking for help and this gives the upgrade a bad impression.

Since dapper, I had overall positive upgrades with only minor problems.

firsttry
October 19th, 2007, 09:58 AM
The upgrade from 7.04 didn't finish, it said it was unable to install libxml-libxml-perl, perl-simple and update-manager. Then it quit. No idea what was going on and scared to reboot, as it had crashed about half-way through installing the files. Then I backed up and rebooted and things were working. Not happy though, don't know if it's a proper upgrade or only half-a-one, though things SEEM to be in order - never got any feedback as to what went wrong from the system, besides that those packages had failed their install.

I installed the perl stuff from cpan and update-manager seems to be up to date, so I don't know what it was going on about.

Also when I pause my mouse on a menu item long enough for the tooltip to appear, I need to wait until the tooltip disappears before another menu item is selected when I hover my mouse over it. Very Annoying(TM).

frodon
October 19th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Forum staff should encourage people with positive upgrades experience to write on the forum, since I assume only people with bad experiences write posts looking for help and this gives the upgrade a bad impression.Yep you're right, that's the limit of such poll in a "support" forum.
Anyway i will forward your request to the staff forum.

inhabit
October 19th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Command line upgrade seemed to go well, but now gnome-panel won't load [even for a fresh user account, not sure if other parts load either], and the kernel parameter vga=791 gives a blank screen while booting [without splash and quiet].

zasf
October 19th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Yep you're right, that's the limit of such poll in a "support" forum.
Anyway i will forward your request to the staff forum.

I'm aware it is not easy, still forum staff is really good :) thanks for your work

dilney
October 19th, 2007, 10:14 AM
I've had no problems (that I can remember) installing and upgrading my Gutsy.

First off, I downloaded the DVD image about 10 days ago with the Release Candidate. Even though I have an Athlon 64 X2, I'm running the i386 binaries because I need the Java plugin to work perfectly for my internet banking*.

After a fresh install, almost everything worked out of the box, including nVidia proprietary drivers and Compiz-Fusion. The only annoying thing was that VirtualBox OSE doesn't work if you just install the packages, but nothing that I couldn't solve with google and 4 copy-and-pasted lines of shell commands.

Finally, I installed all updates that were released since my install. Voilą. Yesterday, before the official release, my system was already running the final Gutsy Gibbon release...

My hardware is as follows:
Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (oc@2.77 GHz)
ASRock 939NF6G Motherboard (nVidia nForce chipset)
3GB DDR400
2 SATA + 1 IDE hard-drives
nVidia 8600GT 512MB

Skardal
October 19th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Upgrade doesn't work.

Found out there is a bug-post about it:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/147429

Edmund0Dantes
October 19th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Upgrade worked fine for me. Only very slight issue i had was that eclispe reverted back to the gcj compiler, but given as i told the istallation procedure to replace my java_home, then that was to be expected.

IMO, the process went fine.

:guitar:

Alchemista1979
October 19th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Where's the upgrade failed or didn't even get started option. I tried to upgrade through the update manager but the servers are obviously going into meltdown. I'll leave it for a few days now.

The upgrade I tried yesterday was extremely slow, I'll try later on today or tomorrow when the servers are less loaded.

GS2
October 19th, 2007, 11:14 AM
The upgrade itself worked - I use Kubuntu so did it the adept way.

However it hosed by wireless settings - of course I backed everything up - but I have not got round to fixing it yet.

Still relatively painless - although next time I'll go back to using the cd I think :)

bapoumba
October 19th, 2007, 11:19 AM
I did a fresh install of one of the Tribes (Tribe2).

There was, along the development cycle, a problem with wireless, that got fixed. Other issues are older bugs not fixed from edgy (palm mount for ex). I used the easy video drivers install process flawlessly (I'm new to using nVidia restricted drivers), all the codecs, and I'll do a fresh install of the final release in the next weeks, to test it out more extensively.

To be noted, I have a very basic desktop use of my computer, and Ubuntu-supported-only repositories.

sicone
October 19th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Decided to go for 64bit gusty on a new partition (kept 32bit feisty just in case). Install went smoothly, but I have no sound, flash player freezes up after about 8-12 secs and dual screen doesn't work properly (desktop is bigger than screen area even though the resolution is lower than max screen size).
I've found guides on how to fix all three problem which I'll try once I get home.
Other than that, looking good so far!

necrolin
October 19th, 2007, 11:34 AM
I had Fiesty working on my HP TX1000, but decided to do a clean install rather than an upgrade. Networking doesn't work at all. Neither the wireless (which I expected as it needs to download a driver) nor the wired connection. Hence no networking at all.

On my other machine I have a dwcom d19 monitor and NVIDIA GeForce 8500. It detects the correct settings for the monitor, but it doesn't work at a resolution above 600x400. The last 3 versions all had issues with this monitor and what used to be a GeForce 6200, including just dropping to a black screen. I was able to fix the past systems, but this one...???

EDIT: Fixed, both computers now running Gutsy flawlessly. Pain in the bum-bum to install, but now that it's working it's very very very nice.

gaupe
October 19th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Just installed feisty for a week ago when i decided to , again, have a go to get linux as my preferred desktop instead of windows xp home which i was running uptil now.

tried suse first but gave so many problems that i decided to look for other distro's
installed feisty and was directly very happy with it.
I see the distros have grown to the point that my wish, having linux as my preferred desktop maybe will be forfiled.

Played a lot with the feisty , tried setting it up to my liking with thought in mind to delete all and then fresh start with the gutsy which was coming in 6 days anyway.

when the 7.10 release came i thought a, lets firs try the upgrade.
That went wonderfully well actually. But since a had upgraded a ,"too much played with install"
i nevertheless deleted all and started a fresh install.

Had some small issues like the keyboard (norwegian) that after some actions sometimes went back to us english (but didnt write down things and i have a bad memory)

have to find out why hibernation does not work right
and would really like to have my ATI mobikity 9700 (according to windows) or ATI mobility 9600 (according to ubuntu) working complete as it does in windows which means all the graphics capabilities and speed. I want to use the s-video out i want to use compiz and i would like google earth to work fast and this all seems to come down on the graphics chip which i cannot change since it is in my laptop.....

anyway I now am on 7.10 like it very much and am really gonna try to have this as my preferred os (dual boot with windows xp ofcourse, but later on maybe only via vmware i hope....)

envoy
October 19th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Upgraded from Feisty.
Issues:
2nd processor ignored (WARNING: NR_CPUS limit of 1 reached. Processor ignored.)
- Solved: grub puts the i386 kernel on top by default. The generic kernel supports dual core.
Also, I have sound now and wireless works too.

(No sound (can't find anything related being loaded in dmesg)
No wireless (listed in Hardware Information but nothing loaded - 4965AGN))

Nvidia driver seems to work just fine, desktop effects working nicely also

portach king
October 19th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Hi,
Well I decided to do a fresh install (finally got rid of windows), and unfortunately I'm one of the few out there suffering from a black screen at boot-up, followed by an approximate 5 minute wait before Gutsy then suddenly bursts into life.
After that it works fine, but the ambiguity of the black screen however was/is worrying and the boot-time is atrocious. Hopefully, this'll all get fixed very soon!

raptros-v76
October 19th, 2007, 12:06 PM
well, i created a bad upgrade for myself on my desktop. (you know, the kind of scary for a new user thing, which i am not, so i only get annoyed) for instance, seeing something downloading and saying "when did i ever install that?" is probably a bad sign. recommendation to others: dont let your system get messy. having to run several things repeatedly just to get every package to configure is not fun.

my laptop, OTOH, with a fairly standard xubuntu 7.04 install from several months ago, was a clean and easy upgrade.

PokerJoker
October 19th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Extra,new S-ATA disk installed just days before gutsy came out, so fresh install made sense.

ISO dowload from local ftpsite took only ten mins. Had the disk already partitioned and formatted.
For some reason i chose ext2 as filesystem, which turned out Ubuntu doesn't like: Got a message in install when choosing partitions that filesystem has non-compatible options.

Decided to let the Gutsy one do it's own formatting in ext3 and within 30mins i was up and running including dowload of propriatry ATI fglrx driver (meaning no compiz). It even set the proper resolution of 1680x1050 on my 20" LCD automaticaly. It required a reboot, but hey...

Great stuff.

Amorok complained when firing up last.fm about not being able to play mp3, so had to get all the dirty stuff, which took a few mins to download and install, but since then:

I'm impressed and thinking about getting an nVidia 8500 just for kicks (and compiz).

CD Baric
October 19th, 2007, 12:22 PM
New box featuring Asus M2N-VM DVI moboard, AMD Dual Core 4400+ CPU, 2 gigs 800MHz DDR2, onboard nVidia 7050 video with 256 meg shared memory and Hi Def audio.

This same system was initially loaded with Feisty Fawn but there were problems with the video and audio so I held off my client until I could try 7.10 - VERY PLEASED!

After DLing by torrent and burningto CD the installation was perfect including installing the correct nVidia video driver.

Thanks Team Gutsy Gibbon - Very Well Done!

CD Baric

Smittey
October 19th, 2007, 12:25 PM
My upgrade completely failed.

The first thing I tried was upgrading through the Update Manager. After a long wait it reterned complaining it didn“t download all the packages.

Second try was restarting through the Update Manager (servers can be full, I can understand), then the update manager just stayed "not responding" after pressing the button.

I tried a few more times where both the update mnanager would not respond or the downloads would simply stop coming in.

Then I downloaded the alernate CD and tried through that path. First it suggested to upgrade through the internet but then the files would not come in again. So I restarted again and tried directly from the CD. Preparations went okay, it even came up with the fact that certain packages are not supported anymore, but then it failed on 'adjusting the software channels" saying that there was an unknown error and I should report it together with certain files from the I believe /etc/upgrade directory and it reverted.

Tried again through the Update Manager but now from the Dutch servers and switched off all 3rd party sources, but it was on all all night long but still the files did not arrrive.

Tried again with the CD just now and now it says it can't determin the genuity of certain packages (like aMSN and Amarok) at about the same point as before.

Anyone have any suggestion?

All my upgrades from 5.10 always went okay and I don't have any special software running. I might even just delete the partition and start over again, the only ting I am worried about is getting my dual display setup running again.

frodon
October 19th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Just wait that the server load decrease a little bit IMO, i don't think you can do more.

haldor61
October 19th, 2007, 12:36 PM
i tried to upgrade my feisty to gusty yesterday. although i had a very fast internet connection i took a error message and couldn't upgrade. i could install it with a new cd.. except having slow update time(in both synaptic and update manager), it is working flawlessly

marlinman
October 19th, 2007, 12:42 PM
I installed on a virtual machine made by VMWare Server 1.0.4 running under Vista <ducks>. Love the new wallpaper but I have no mouse pointer and my two side-by-side monitors now behave like the right screen is above the left (?!?!) . Why my Vista monitor settings have been broken by VMWare (or possibly Gutsy) I can't figure! Very impressed with speed of install tho' (from iso onto VM) and with boot speed also. Hopefully I can get to actually use the booted OS soon too :-) .

Edit: Mouse easily fixed but couldn't resist mentioning that my calendar reported August 22 1938 :-)
Edit II: Found that my monitor arrangement had actually been changed in ATI CCC - perhaps while upgrading VMWare Server from 1.0.3 to 1.0.4 <shrugs> . Very mysterious...

jon_gunnar
October 19th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Really should have been a "upgrade failed or didn't even start" choice.
Have done the upgrade prosess earlier,but this time when I tries the update manager it's just crash.

But I have done an clean install on anoter machine and there the process were painless.

snickers295
October 19th, 2007, 12:44 PM
i waited 14 hours for 60% and then my connection failed so i am now downloading the alternate cd because i heard that you can upgrade though that. i would wait a week or two if i were you before upgrading.

wieman01
October 19th, 2007, 12:45 PM
I did a fresh install as I was still running Dapper. It would worked more or less perfectly if it had not been for the usual suspects... my wireless (Ralnk) adapter. But that was a minor hassle, everything else worked perfectly for me.

JaqHama
October 19th, 2007, 12:47 PM
New Installation to partitioned Hard Drive.
Live CD Install failed completely.
Currently running IBM ThinkPad T60 2GB RAM 60GB HD.

HD Partitioning
20GB WXP
10GB Data
30GB Remaining (not formatted)

Partitioner fails to recognise the freespace, i.e., cannot select guided use available free space. Selected manual option, partition is listed as unknown, Selected partition deleted partition, partition now listed as freespace. Selected and created partition size 2057MB ext3 /. Selected OK. Partition listed as / 2057 with the remaining space as unknown, the only option available is to undo changes to partition or edit. Edit gives me nothing useful. Could progress but there is a warning that no swap is set, Go back try exercise again fails again.
We then go into an endless loop. This could be my issue, although I have used the Ubuntu installer on previous releases (manual option) with no issue, however the installation was to a completely blank drive.

Not sure where to go from here...I'll try a couple of things and post back, although it may take a little while...

vambo
October 19th, 2007, 12:53 PM
The recommended upgrade method worked as advertised basically. I actually did this with the rc release and kept it up to date so I had my new primate a day before the stampede :). Any issues are basically of my own making! If I could just leave things "as is"
:lol:.

frodon
October 19th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Really should have been a "upgrade failed or didn't even start" choice.
Have done the upgrade prosess earlier,but this time when I tries the update manager it's just crash.

But I have done an clean install on anoter machine and there the process were painless.Just wait, the fact that the ubuntu servers have a bandwidth limit have nothing to do with the success or not of your upgrade on the technical aspect, obviously it makes your update manager to freeze or crash but this is just server load issue.

Matakoo
October 19th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Well, my upgrade worked but there were a few things I had to solve. Some, because I've made some alterations to my system that I didn't really expect the upgrader to be able to do anything about. In some cases it could (i.e. asked if I wanted to keep or replace ssh.conf), in others it couldn't (it certainly didn't like my modified udev-rules...), hotwayd and dovecot needed to be reconfigured.

Some stuff I had to fix myself:

1. Sound. I got no sound whatsoever at first, except in applications using xine for some reason. Things that use ALSA without an intermediary refused to work (i.e. aplay, logon sounds, games) complained about a missing soundcard. Easily fixed by removing .asoundrc*. I don't know if that's the best approach, but at least it worked :)
2. Truecrypt and VirtualBox wouldn't run, since there was a mismatch between the kernel and the kernelmodule version. Recompiling truecrypt and reinstalling virtualbox fixed that.
3. Some of my previously installed programs had to be reinstalled, despite that I had installed them from the official repos before. Quanta Plus was one, but this may be due to the fact that I installed to the RC first and not the final one. Quanta may just not have been packaged properly when I did my upgrade.
4. OpenOffice menus didn't work in Compiz-ified KDE. For some reason the window was maximized to the extent that the titlebar wouldn't show, and the menus were affected by that too. In the no-compiz Gnome it worked, so I just made the Office-window smaller in Gnome, and then I was able to resize it properly in KDE as well. Come to think of it...would probably have worked by just removing a panel in KDE. Or going back to Kwin momentarily.

And finally...needed to figure out a way to make Konqueror the default instead of Dolphin but that's not because of a problem with the installer. Just that I think Dolphin doesn't cut it as the default filemanager.

ant1060
October 19th, 2007, 01:04 PM
HELLO,

I updated to Gutsy one week before official release date : it went (quite) well, though the process stopped at about 80% when installing files. Message : SORRY THE PROCESS CANNOT COMPLETE - YOUR INSTALLATION MIGHT BE UNSTABLE. Everything was backed up though, so I didn't worry and rebooted.

One big problem was that my screen resolution and Belgian keyboard were no longer recognised.

I solved the screen resolution by running dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg -phigh and rebooting.
To overcome the keyboard problem (which affected my login splash screen even after I changed the keyboard setting in System Preferences) I changed one line in my xorg.config (PC 101 for 105; and "Belgian" for "US").

My major problem however was the Nvidia Driver which I had installed through Envy when I was running Feisty and had forgotten to uninstall. It took me a while to realise what I had done, so I uninstalled the Nvidia driver and then uninstalled Envy. This allowed me to reinstall the Nvidia driver through the new facility included in the Gutsy Compiz Fusion packages.(You have to search for these : right click on the desktop to access!)

Then I checked for upgrades using the Upgrade Manager and it found the missing stuff which had been aborted when I first installed. I was able to Install them this time with no problems and everything has been FINE since (except I am missing some Compiz Fusion functionality, such as Cube Atlantis, which I kind of liked.....)

I love Gutsy. Thanks so much to everyone involved with the development - you're great :)

NB : 1)
Before beginning my upgrade I removed the Compiz Fusion I had installed through Kevin van Zonneveld's blog http://kevin.vanzonneveld.net/techblog/article/enable_compizfusion_in_ubuntu_feisty/
(and now there is a useful link to how to upgrade to Gutsy without breaking your previously installed Compiz Fusion too)
NB : 2)
I also uninstalled (almost) everything I had chosen in Automatix2 for Feisty, and then uninstalled Automatix2 itself. Am doing fine without that stuff now (although I miss some of the fonts).
NB : 3)
I also uninstalled all other 3rd Party software before beginning and am not missing it!

The whole installation process and tweaking (as described above) took about 5 hours.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE AND THANKS AGAIN :)

Smittey
October 19th, 2007, 01:06 PM
... obviously it makes your update manager to freeze or crash ...

LOL, a simple message saying server is full would nicer than a non responding app :D

Gooorn
October 19th, 2007, 01:10 PM
It went without any problem, or I'm not aware of it. I had like 100 error messages when the process was in configuring and setting stage, but after reboot there was no errors at all.

One thing though - I'm having IBM ThinkPad X30 with PIII 1.2GHz and 256MB RAM. With the 7.04 version the system was running at the speed of light. This one, 7.10, is somewhat slower and it is obvious with same appearance settings.

Bye.

frodon
October 19th, 2007, 01:10 PM
LOL, a simple message saying server is full would nicer than a non responding app :DYep i'm not an update-manager expert but i guess that it is what create the "freeze" impression despites the update-manager is still trying to establish the connection.
But sure things can be improved, maybe if you have time drop a suggestion in the hardy heron forum about better update-manager connection timeout handling for the next release.

Whateverist
October 19th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Compaq NX9010, 604MB RAM, Mobility Radeon 7000. Old, but sorta works.

Upgraded Xubuntu from 7.04 thorugh the update manager. Very fast download, the whole upgrade process didn't take more than two hours. No complaints there.

1024x768 resolution doesn't work right, the screen is offset to the left and, for lack of a better word, "wobbly" - it jitters and flickers constantly. Doesn't happen on lower resolutions, but does happen with the LiveCD.

Wireless connection (Buffalo adaptor with Windows driver) doesn't work. Ndiswrapper says the hardware and driver are present but neither the browser nor ifconfig can get a connection.

1.5GB seems to have vanished from my root partition - maybe the install files weren't deleted? This one's probably just a case of PEBCAK.

Unless I can find a magical fairy wand that can fix these issues, I'd like to reformat and start fresh, but since the graphics problem affects the LiveCD too that doesn't seem like a good idea.

Anzan
October 19th, 2007, 01:11 PM
I and two others on our LAN downloaded the Release Candidate last Friday and Saturday. Flawless.

We've installed from ISO on a few other boxes. Problems on one only but then it's always been a bit neurotic.

abhilash82
October 19th, 2007, 01:12 PM
My upgrade to Gutsy started out very well but midway my net connection got disconnected and had to start the partial upgrade process. Will this have any effect on the installation?

willemijns
October 19th, 2007, 01:25 PM
does not works with my ATI RADEON even with livecd F4 VGA function :-(
cd itself is good, i have tried to copy entire content to my HD and MD5 is good

i stay to windows :lolflag:

resac
October 19th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Foolishly, given the fact that I am not an experienced Linux usuer, Istarted the upgrade from my Feisty Fawn installation to Gutsy on the day it was released, and ran into trouble that I do not understand quite.

At the end (?) of the automatic upgrade, the system hung, and on reboot into Gutsy, screen resolutution was set to a default 800*600. I notice on the forum that a number of people have experienced the same problem and I dare say there will be a solution to this.

The other problem is a non-operative Terminal: when I start a new terminal windows, it is totally blank, no borders, no name, no prompt and no action. I have no idea how to solve this, so shall watch the forum to wait for other unfortunates who will doubtlessly experience the same problem and know more than me, and will be able to suggest the solution.

SOLVED the problem, by downloading and running ENVY which produced a new nvidia driver setup and made all behave as it should. Thanks for help!

System specs: AMD 4200+ Gigabyte GAM55Plus with 1 GB memory; nvidia Geforce 6100 display adapter

fprintf
October 19th, 2007, 01:32 PM
I voted "upgrade with a few problems". Mostly it went flawlessly. I downloaded the upgrade .iso via Bittorrent, which took an hour, and burned a CD on my windows machine. Booted into my current Ubuntu version and stuck the CD in the drive. When the menu popped up I selected to upgrade the machine and then when asked also selected to proceed while downloading updates from the internet. The machine hung on fetching the files, I assume because of the server volume issues, so I quit the upgrade and tried again without fetching updates. The upgrade worked flawlessly on an oldish IBM T30 laptop. It gave me the resolution I was hoping for and connected via my ethernet to the Internet without any problems.

I voted "with some problems" because a) my machine will not enable any desktop effects and b) hibernation mode gets stuck in a loop - black screen, then it asks for a password and goes back into Gnome. I think both problems are a driver issue.

I have been using Ubuntu on and off for a year now, though I have probably only spent 30 - 60 minutes on the system in that time. So I'd consider myself an absolute newbie. I was thrilled with how easy the original install and the subsequent upgrade processes were, except perhaps the last few long nights spent downloading/upgrading from 6.06 to 6.10 to 7.04 in preparation for this release.

chadeldridge
October 19th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Unfortunately I have to say the upgrade process was rubbish for me. I have 4 machines all with 7.04 on them. The upgrade worked perfectly on 1 of those 4 and failed miserably on the other 3.

Machine 1: Dell XPS Gen2 Laptop
Upgrade failed at around 70% .. hardlocked the machine and rebooted to kernel panic. Still working on this box.

Machine 2 - 3: Both Dell desktops
Upgrade failed to configure tzdata and all related files and dependencies. I was able to reboot and remove tzdata and reinstall it through apt-get and finish the upgrade process manually. Although this was a total pain.

Machine 4: Dell desktop (same as machine 3)
Upgrade proceeded normally. Completed and rebooted. I should mention that this was a completely fresh 7.04 install with all updates applied.

Schroeder
October 19th, 2007, 01:47 PM
My upgrade didnt even start. Update manager keeps freezing up and nothing happens...

Dethis
October 19th, 2007, 01:54 PM
I tried to update to 7.10 an on the second step where you fetch the files, it stops...=\

gn2
October 19th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Desktop upgraded fine from Xubuntu 7.04 (originally installed from Live CD) to Xubuntu 7.10.
Downloads were slow, but servers probably busy.
All went well, no problems whatsoever.
(And having Automatix installed wasn't a problem)

Started on my laptop this morning and a very different story indeed.
Downloads very fast, but after update from Xubuntu 7.04 (originally installed from Alternate CD) to 7.10 applied, my user account was not allowed to switch the laptop off-please contact the administrator :? That's me! (or so I thought)
New kernel won't load, won't sync, kernel panic.
(No Automatix on the laptop.....)

Nevermind, currently downloading and burning a 7.10 Alternate CD for a clean install on the laptop.
Hopefully that'll work OK.

EDIT Laptop is a PIII 500mhz 192mb RAM Toshiba Portege 3440CT, Desktop is a self built Core 2 Duo E6300, 1Gb RAM, AsRock ConRoe945G-DVI

samuraiCat
October 19th, 2007, 02:42 PM
According to that non-scientific poll, only 20% of users had a problem-free experience. That, unfortunately, is a total failure.

I think I'll hold off on installing it.

samuraiCat
October 19th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Command line upgrade seemed to go well, but now gnome-panel won't load [even for a fresh user account, not sure if other parts load either], and the kernel parameter vga=791 gives a blank screen while booting [without splash and quiet].

Uh, that's because it should be vga=792

http://cro.alienpants.com/index.php/2007/05/05/getting-ubuntu-running-on-my-compaq-f500/

daxm
October 19th, 2007, 02:47 PM
I mentioned before elsewhere but I'll post here too.

My upgrade kept failing to download all the files so I just did a fresh install. Working good so far except my sound. I was hoping that 7.10 would support my c-media soundcard right "out of the box" but I guess I'll have to manually configure it again (like I did in 7.04).

When the load is lessened I might consider checking out the 64bit version.

monkey2
October 19th, 2007, 02:57 PM
According to that non-scientific poll, only 20% of users had a problem-free experience. That, unfortunately, is a total failure.

I think I'll hold off on installing it.

A fresh install worked fine for me - Athlon XP3000, MSI RS480 M-IL, 6600GT
Compiz, wireless networking, all working.

People are more likely to vote and post in this thread if they have problems, not if it worked flawlessly

persev
October 19th, 2007, 03:00 PM
I upgraded via the update manager, it took most of the day and into the evening with a cable connection. Upgrade worked flawlessly. I am not happy with some of the changes that have been made, particularly removal of things like Synaptic from the menu (I have to start it from cli) and missing config options as simple being able to change my cursor from the mouse preferences. I do like the new Theme manager but just changing the Desktop backgrounds takes longer now. The new Visual Effects chooser is nice also. I will give about a week and see if I will keep it or downgrade.

Edit: I found where to change the cursor/pointer, it has been moved to the Theme manager under pointer.

beesthorpe
October 19th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Well in my case the upgrade mechanism satisfied Clarke's Third Law - that is it was indistinguishable from magic :). Even desktop effects worked straight out of the box. Nothing in this life is perfect of course, but the only problem I've come across so far is the version of Firefox in 7.10 seems irritatingly prone to freezes of a minute or so for no apparent reason <sigh>

jon_gunnar
October 19th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Just wait, the fact that the ubuntu servers have a bandwidth limit have nothing to do with the success or not of your upgrade on the technical aspect, obviously it makes your update manager to freeze or crash but this is just server load issue.

I know what a freeze is,and I know about server issue.I also know what I write usually.
This is a update-manager problem were the application goes bye bye,nothing to do with the server load.

szulat
October 19th, 2007, 03:22 PM
my experience:

the upgrade was quite successful, but i'm disappointed that gutsy was not able to install the restricted nvidia driver automatically. in feisty it failed because of the unsupported geforce model (the driver was too old) but gutsy has the proper version, yet the nvidia xorg driver could not start because of the bad kernel module version.
so i had to remove the restricted manager and install the binary package from nvidia website (how ugly).

the new compiz is much better than the feisty version, and perhaps it is even good enough to keep it enabled all the time (no catastrophic failures for now, it only freezed once and immediately switched to the old window manager automatically). this would be the true good reason to upgrade :-)

and tracker does not work at all but i'm working on a solution...

that's all :-)

mifi
October 19th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Installed fresh on my laptop.

During boot from HD, the screen remains dark for a couple of minutes. Every now and then, there is a little disk activity.
After 5 minutes, the 'Gnome' login screen appears and the system is working normally. Everything before that was just a black screen.

I went into /boot/grub/menu.lst and removed the 'quiet splash' parameters to see more messages and find out what it is doing all that time.

However, with 'quiet' and 'splash' removed, it is booting like a charm. About as fast as 7.04.

It seems I have stumbled upon a workaround.

cheers
m

doooh_head
October 19th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Before I started the upgrade, I went in and changed my default sources location. I discovered when you goto change it, it has a "detect which one is the best location to choose" option, so I ran that, it chose one for me, and when I started the upgrade it proceeded very quickly. I was getting download rates of 300K-800K.
The installation takes the longest. Fine. After my reboot everything came up looking great except that I have two monitors, on an ATI (Radeon 9250) card. I immediately tried to configure the two monitors, but everything went downhill from there. After making my changes, I logged out and re-logged in and from that point forward I wasn't able to attain any high-end graphics state. I was stuck in 800x600 low res mode and nothing I did allowed me to fix that. I ended up rebooting and instead of loading the latest kernel that gets installed, I ran the other slightly older kernel and I was able to get back to my 1280x1024 resolution, but not my dual (big desktop) setup. About the only other thing that I've noticed that doesn't work is my VPN connection to my work. Some configuration option that we use, is no longer provided in Kvpnc. Don't know what to do about that just yet.

Quid
October 19th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Once I found out I could redirect my request for files to other servers in the Synaptic Package Manager - and have then stick for the upgrade It was like a dream.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=580750

Nvidia had me worried - but it worked out of the box.

All the stress seems to be that the default servers were overloaded .

7.10 and Ubuntu Rocks - Good work team!

CHFFriday
October 19th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Upgrade went OK but it took WAY TO LONG!:eek:

I have five (5) more workstations to upgrade. I will not use the Internet way to upgrade!

Has anyone upgrade using the Alternate CD way? If so is it faster?

CHFFriday

Edit: If I sound like I’m complaining, then I just want to apologize to all. I just wanted to tell everyone what to expect. I have never upgrade an SO using the Internet and I have been doing this stuff for 40 years. I wanted to see how it would work and I found out. I can wait for things to calm down. No problem. Anyway, I don’t know why I want to upgrade. Things are working fine.

If you think the Internet is overwhelmed now by Umbutu users just think of what it would be like if Microsoft did something like this.

What is needed is an Upgrade CD that does not need to use the Internet at the time of installation. This would be purchase at a minor cost and this would slow things down to a manageable pace. Then the download would be an option for those that don’t want to spend the money for the CD.

Why not the Alternate CD? My understanding is it also needs the Internet. Not good at this time.

Just some thoughts.

dbsub9
October 19th, 2007, 03:50 PM
I started my upgrade using the development version of Gutsy. I thought I could just go to the update manager and let everything download. It had to d/l somewhere around 125 packages It took a very long time and some packages didn't download, some of the packages that did download didn't install. My Ubuntu is still working but I don't think I have a full production mode version of 7.10 on my machine right now. Can anyone point me to a link that describes the way to upgrade from a development version of Gutsy to the new stable release?

Thanks!

nmincone
October 19th, 2007, 03:53 PM
I downloaded the alternate CD, which downloaded some updated packages. All installed fine but upon reboot after logging in I get a white screen and a cursor. Haven't solved it (ATI Radeon 9200SE) and have rebooted with alternate xorg.conf settings many, many times....

md5hash
October 19th, 2007, 04:02 PM
I tried both upgrade and clean install and they worked flawlessly... upgrade took me 9hrs :)

airbornemist6
October 19th, 2007, 04:13 PM
I installed gutsy, and my first confusion was enabling my ati driver (I could have sworn we were promised to get fglrx 8.42 around this time) and then I realized it didn't get installed... or something. I spent about 2 hours trying to fix that, but eventually was able to fix it with my own knowledge.

My next problem was trying to get compiz fusion to work, which, it still isn't. No offense to our lovely developers, but seriously what the hell did you guys do to it? It's seriously fighting me. I mean, I eventually got it partially working by installing random packages, but now my compiz-manager is giving me all kinds of problems, I imagine that my problems are only worsened by XGL (that is usually the spawn of most problems related to compositing), but it seems I must be missing something, because when my compiz fusion settings isn't working right, The settings don't seem to do anything. Gah, I really hope I can get this working right.

On a positive note, everything else is working no problem. However, it seems to me that a lot of the packages that are usually installed... when you install didn't... install lol. Like I could have sworn I saw somewhere that flash, restricted codecs, and the like were coming preinstalled... they didn't on my machine, even though it seems some of them were on the disk. *sigh* This is going to take awhile.

pablo66
October 19th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Used upgrade from feisty through update manager. Looked like it installed everything but when I rebooted it said I did not have a complete install, so it recommended a partial upgrade and everything went fine from there and windows effects still don't work. The most MINOR burp really.

austin1030
October 19th, 2007, 04:15 PM
It took me few hours to download ISO files since there were so many people downloading at the same time. I understand that. But what I don't understand is why there is a problem looking at the mirror sites on the installation process. One point, I began installing Ubuntu before I setup network to access outside world, it was unaccessible to Ubuntu secure site and comment out all synaptic links on the sources.list file. At home, it took over an hour (:confused:) on them installation and over 10 mins (:confused:) for each downloading from mirror sites. WOW, I never knew I will be having so much headache to install Ubuntu. It is LOVE or HATE moment.

Austin

bmartin
October 19th, 2007, 04:21 PM
I don't know why this happened; it suddenly went away. I've been using Linux for years and I'm at a loss to explain this.

I upgraded to Gutsy using the Update Manager and restarted my computer. After boot, Network Manager wouldn't allow me to connect to my wireless network (or any network). I proceeded to install WICD, which led to the same results. I didn't have a wired connection available, so there wasn't much I could do.

Upon successive rebooting, my keyboard sometimes didn't work at all (I could select my kernel in GRUB, but after that, all keystrokes were futile). The wireless kept failing. When I ran WICD from the command line, it spat out a message about DBUS not responding (or something like that). I tried restarting DBUS and HAL, but nothing worked... until I booted an older kernel in recovery mode, then loaded up DBUS and GDM manually. I tried doing the same steps again, but it didn't work. Different versions of the kernel didn't work.

After about ten reboots, everything went back to normal. I couldn't have installed anything, as I had no internet connection the whole time. My wireless network connection, which had been detecting networks all along but wouldn't retrieve an IP address, started working, and my keyboard behaved as normal.

I've heard that sometimes computers can overheat, but mine has never displayed the symptoms before and I have no reason to believe it was overheating at the time. In between boots, I loaded up Windows and the networking worked fine. That was about halfway through my rebooting spree.

Do you have any idea why this might occur? I can't imagine it having nothing to do with the upgrade, as nothing like this has ever happened before.

On a side note, the cupsys and consolekit configurations both failed with exit status 1... so probably the old ones didn't uninstall properly or some stupid thing. I have CUPS disabled anyways, since I never connect this computer to a printer for anything.

badguyanil
October 19th, 2007, 04:21 PM
treid these various ways!!!

1. tried to upgrade from 7.04....which shows the download speed from 13-25kbps and total time required to 13-14hrs...i feel is insane. There should be a better way to upgrade. Later found way of doing so thru the alt cd! i think this should be put up right at the upgrade help page of ubuntu!

2. New istallation stuck at 82% scanning for mirrors...shouldnt there be a time frame to scan for mirrors and just skip the step if internet is not found connected. 7.04 never gave any problems with screen resolution! 7.10 got clean installed...after unplugging the ethernet cable though!! but the screen resolution is different!!! just getting blinking led's on the creen now :'(

airencracken
October 19th, 2007, 04:45 PM
I did a fresh install even though I had previously used Edgy and Fiesty. I have some problems still. My headphone jack still doesn't work on my laptop and this bug has been consistant through all three versions. Also I have a weird boot issue. Beyond those issues (and my ati woes, though hopefully the new flrgx driver will fix that with AIGLX support) it's been fine.

cudaman73
October 19th, 2007, 04:48 PM

What do you expect, with probably 60% of the ubuntu population trying to update all at the same time.

I'm glad to say that the upgrade only took me six or seven hours, but it worked flawlessly. Even kept all of my compiz/emerald themes and settings.

I did have to reinstall emerald, but that was the only problem.

Have not come across any errors at all yet. I'm very happy with the ubuntu devs.

Can+~
October 19th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Method: Reinstallation from LiveCD
Desktop PC: graphics:Ati X800 GTO2, cpu:AMD Athlon 64 3700+, mobo: Asus A8N-SLI.

I started the LiveCD, and I saw this:
running local boot scripts (etc/rc.local)

Then it loads xorg, and tells me that I have to use a "safe graphics mode", I click "ok". Xorg dies, and I'm back at the "running local boot scripts (etc/rc.local)" and stucks there.

I tried again later, I configured the Xorg to use FGLRX, unsuccessfully.

It's a pain to restart the whole pc and livecd to find if my config worked, what's the command to reload the xorg and try again? (Ctrl+Alt+Backspace doesn't work of course).

pablo66
October 19th, 2007, 04:52 PM
1. tried to upgrade from 7.04....which shows the download speed from 13-25kbps and total time required to 13-14hrs...i feel is insane. There should be a better way to upgrade. Later found way of doing so thru the alt cd! i think this should be put up right at the upgrade help page of ubuntu!

I did an upgrade from 7.04 too, (Update manager upgrade+having to do a partial upgrade after the full upgrade)=2 hours.

geek_Man
October 19th, 2007, 04:57 PM
My wireless broke. And I've got two instances of nm-applet, and neither mention my wireless... thingy.

cudaman73
October 19th, 2007, 04:57 PM
What's the command to reload the xorg and try again? (Ctrl+Alt+Backspace doesn't work of course).

Try sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart

It should stop and start X as well as the gdm.

click4851
October 19th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Happy to share my upgrade experience.....my previous ones were poor at best......

Tried initial upgrade morning of the 18th PST here on the Left Coast, servers were really slow and it chugged away all morning. Came back from work at midnight and we had some high winds and we had lost power some time in the the afternoon early evening. So booted the computer in to Feisty for the last time. Brought up the upgrade manager and began the process, Servers seemed much faster, and it was less than a hour on Comcast Cable connection. I did get a ALSA config popup on reboot which I am happy to say, sound has been one of my pet peevs. It works, and I mean it works well. Thank you Gutsy team, goodbye esound. Overall seems faster, snappier......I like it . No problems with my Nvidia FX5900 video card, or my Sound Blaster Live, Very Happy, hopefully all my upgrades will go this well.

plantman
October 19th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Lost Thunderbird and a lot of my settings. I may have done more of an install than upgrade. Can that happen? I am new to Linux but having a great time. Any help would be appreciated.:guitar:

Can+~
October 19th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Try sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart

It should stop and start X as well as the gdm.

It worked on feisty, I'll try it on the livecd now, thanks.

Weezer
October 19th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Failed to get the disk to boot thus far.

Thinkpad T61p:
Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz T7700
nVidia Quadro FX 570M

Without Safe Mode, the screen simply goes black, and even blindly cltr+alt+F1-ing to sudo reboot doesn't work. With Safe Mode, I get as far as X trying to load, which fails repeatedly, giving me an error message after the sixth attempt. I've tried removing quiet and changing splash to nosplash in the boot options, as well as ctrl+alt+F1 to type in sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver.xorg (which then tells me there's no such thing as reconfigure). Adding noapic irqpoll noirqdebug to the boot options doesn't seem to help, nor does nopaic=noirq nolapic. Finally, live acpi=off just brings up another problem that seems irrelevant to Xserver's failure. Those are all the things I've seen suggested in the black screen off a boot disk thread. I'm going to keep looking for other solutions.

Opus7
October 19th, 2007, 05:13 PM
I have been unsuccessful in my attempts to install Gutsy on an old Compaq system (2.5Mhz, 256MB Mem, 50GB Hdd). I have reformatted the hard drive to remove all old windows, software, viruses, etc...so I should not have any problems. It runs through the install process and gets to an "off-white page" and seems to freeze. I noticed that it had one error when running through install, about midway, that said "CPU scaling frequency not supported". I let the system sit for about an hour and when I came back the screen was blank -- nothing...

So I thought perhaps I should try to download an older version to install. I have tried Ubuntu 6.06, 7.04, 7.04 alternate, and now 7.10. And I have tried Knoppix 5.1.1 --- but none of these will install on this old Compaq system. I have been able to use the 7.10 CD successfully on an even older notebook with less resources, so the CD seems okay...

Error Message with older versions (not 7.10) -
Int 14: cr2 cf800000 err00000000 eipc020c384 cs00000060 flags00010007
stack: c00f7da0 c03f129b c0371d8c 00000002 c00f7da9 000f7da0 00000000 000000000

I am pulling my hair out trying to figure out what the real issue is with the old system. The hardware seems to check out, and it was running windows xp okay until viruses corrupted it. I was able to reinstall XP and it ran okay, but it was my legal version for another machine, so I removed and planned to use for Linux. But no success to date.

Can anyone help me???

brandon30x
October 19th, 2007, 05:16 PM
I installed Gutsy fresh from the live CD. Seemed to work flawlessly except for waiting to contact certain servers. I installed over a Feisty system that was duel booted with Windows. The only two problems I have so far is that when I suspend to ram, it wakes to a black screen. Suspending worked fine in Feisty. Also when I tried the fast user switch, it also comes to a black screen after entering my login credentials.

System:
Compaq V2000 (V2010US) Laptop
512 MB Ram
Intel integrated graphics
Pentium M (centrino)
Dual boot with WinXP

pierrem-m
October 19th, 2007, 05:24 PM
I've been using Ubuntu for a few months now but haven't got into the nuts and bolts of it yet.

I'm running Ubuntu on an dual CPU board with a couple of 600MHz Pentium and 1Gig of RAM and with a possibly similar vintage NVIDIA graphics card with an 80Gig Seagate HDD and an LG DVD Burner

My 7.04 install was working quite nicely and I'd even got it to play commercial DVDs quite OK (and was rather proud of myself for that).

Unfortunately 7.10 only recognizes CPU1 which is slowing things down a bit and, amongst other things DVDs now play jerkily and with two adjacent vertical blue bars on the right hand side of the picture with both blue bars having feathered edges on the right hand side.

Has anyone any ideas as to how I can get 7.10 to recognize CPU2 as I suspect this is the root (pun intended) of my problems?

Any advice would be very much appreciated!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Peter

Therion
October 19th, 2007, 05:31 PM

Without Safe Mode, the screen simply goes black ... I'm going to keep looking for other solutions.
Same problem. The black-screen is a major downer and so far no single solution seems to be working for everyone. I'll have to throw in the towel and go back to Feisty if no solution is forthcoming. I'm totally bummed over this... Wanting Gutsy pretty damn bad. :(

Home-built machine: AMD-64 4200+ X2, nVidia 8800 GTS and 2GB of Corsair RAM all hitched to an Asus A8N-SLI mobo.

kingcharles1666
October 19th, 2007, 05:35 PM
My dual screen setup is completely screwed and this bullet proof X is not working for me, more like against me.
Also my wireless is manually up only. ndiswrapper just doesnt load automatically anymore.

i'll give it some more hours of dedication before going back to feisty:(

systemgod
October 19th, 2007, 05:42 PM
I just upgraded to Gutsy. Took a looooong time I guess everybody is upgrading now :-).
Anyway after the upgrade I can only run X in 800x600. I tried running the config tool but whatever I change I always end up in 800x600

BTW: when I click on 'test' to test the new mode I select, afterwards the configuration simply closes. Annoying

doooh_head
October 19th, 2007, 05:47 PM
I just upgraded to Gutsy. Took a looooong time I guess everybody is upgrading now :-).
Anyway after the upgrade I can only run X in 800x600. I tried running the config tool but whatever I change I always end up in 800x600

BTW: when I click on 'test' to test the new mode I select, afterwards the configuration simply closes. Annoying

I experienced this too. The way I got back to something better was to boot up a different, older kernel. I haven't booted back up into the latest kernel yet, but I will try that tonight when I get home and see if what I have working in an older kernel still works in the newer one. Its still not perfect for me yet, as I still have to configure my dual monitors.

Try the older kernel, it helped me get something working.

Richard B
October 19th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Toshiba Satellite Pro with 512MB RAM and external monitor. Gutsy beta failed to load - started to but screens went garbled - various colored splodges. Release candidate loaded and installed - and works. Now full release behaves exactly as the beta. Selecting safe graphics does not help.

elfuego
October 19th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Hi all!

I have just upgraded from FF to GG and I am a bit dissapointed.

First, I have been happily using FF with beryl and after upgrading it to GG, X server failed to start (I only got black screen, the thing everyone here is talking about ;) ). I corrected this easily - entered recovery mode, typed in
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and fixed it.

Then, there is a problem with Kopete - when I try to connect to MSN account, it crashes. Every other protocol that I tried (ICQ, Yahoo, Jabber, IRC) worked, but MSN fails. As I wanted to make sure that this isn't just my imagination, I installed GG cleanly on a brand new toshiba Satellite Pro L40 and the problem is still there - Kopete definitely crashes when trying to connect with MSN. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Also, Beryl was removed, and I installed compiz-fusion. It works faster then beryl, and therefore, am I pleased :)

BTW, It seems that there is a bug with Intel HDA sound. When I installed GG on a new toshiba, i got only right channel sound. When I try to modify the volume - the sound stopps. Then, the only thing that helps is hard-restart. I yet have to solve this glitch... Does anyone have any idea how?

I tried using ALSA and OSS, but the effect is pretty much the same. :(

ashur@trogdor
October 19th, 2007, 06:24 PM
I downloaded the ISO for intel 386 via a torrent last night in about 20 minutes. I had previously had the Feisty AMD64 build, but a few weeks ago it blew up with kernal panics unable to mount the root volume. I figured I had nothing real valuable on the partition, so I'd install over it (and going with the less problematical version this time, the 64-bit "experience" wasn't worth the hassle).

Writing the ISO via Nero in XP was no problem and then the install happened. I wonder if I chose the correct option here in that I chose the Guided, use the second partition. I feel in retrospect I probably should have done a manual one to ensure I overwrote my old install and don't have it alongside it.

The install took a while, maybe 30ish minutes, and recognized my single user account from Fiesty, which I chose to import and then rebooted w/o the CD in.

X started up fine on one of my two matching 17" flat panels (I had no end of difficulty with this in Feisty and was looking forward to the new control panels), I got the restricted driver heads-up for my Nvidia card. It told me to click to enable. I did and X became unresponsive.

After about 12 minutes I realized it wasn't delayed, but dead. Luckily CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE was able to restart X just fine and then I was able to install the Nvidia driver. The repos were very very slow, but I expected as much. The Nvidia driver went in cleanly and restarted X again.

On to the monitors! I fired up the control panel for the monitors. While it seemed straight forward I had to try about 6 combinations before I got it to bring up the monitors in the correct resolution and arrangement. But now it works every time. YAY GUTSY!

Now that I had the correct video driver and monitors I didn't have my second sceen blinking crap at me, so I could actually pay attention without worrying about slipping into a convulsion.

It didn't seem to have imported any of my old documents, but all I found was my bookmarks and my Pidgin account info (wahoo!). I suppose that's good for a start. It also auto-mounted my NTFS drive, so I was able to access my MP3s... so time to fire up those so I could rock out while I checked out the new stuff.

Again, the restricted driver manager jumped in and guided me to download and install the correct packages. Slow, due to the repos' getting creamed, but it all came down and was successfully installed.

So far, so good - but that's when my dog summoned me downstairs (she's recovering from surgery and can't mount the stairs) to watch NCAA College Football with her.

Tonight I tackle:
- Web Browser (Flash, Adblock etc)
- OpenRPG (didn't see it in the repos, haven't tried apt-get yet. Hope there's no problems...)
- Desktop effects (not required, but I was a fan of the "cube" and edge flipping of workspaces)
- Seeing if I can find my old docs from my Fiesty install (and making sure I don't have bogus partitions to clean up)

oneferna
October 19th, 2007, 06:24 PM
I just upgraded after going into admin>sources>other and figuring out the fastest server to download from. It took about an hour to download and install the whole thing. The only problem I'm having is the font in firefox and thunderbird is now terrible. And I can't use the special effects because of my nvidia graphics card. Firefox goes black when I turn on Normal Visual Display. Other than that this is the smoothest upgrade I've ever done.

rolnics
October 19th, 2007, 06:28 PM
I for once was impatient and downloaded Gutsy about a week ago, and ran the live cd, all worked ok, so last night I installed it on a seperate partition all is working fine I've even got compiz working, which was a bit touchy before! I thought I'd do it this way so if it did break I wouldn't loss anything and could always delete the partition without the worry of lossing things!

I've still got Feisty installed, I'll see how things go with Gutsy, give it a month or so and I'll probably upgrade my other partition.

TempsPerdu
October 19th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Tried updating from within Update Manager after checking my 7.04 system was fully up to date.

System downloaded all the files ok, and started to install the system. It got half way through and it had crashed, not responding to anything. Tried rebooting nothing... Reinstalled 7.04 from CD, that went ok. Didn't add anything, did an update, all ok. Then tried the Upgrade again to 7.10.

Same again it downloaded the files ok, started the install, but froze after about 30% and had been there for several hours. Rebooted, but it came up in a mixture of 7.04 and 7.10 I think, no network connection 'No HAL' so I reinstalled 7.04 again....

I have a 7.10 CD on order... I will try that as a fresh install and see what happens...

Steve

Can+~
October 19th, 2007, 07:19 PM
It worked on feisty, I'll try it on the livecd now, thanks.

Ok.. I tried using the low graphics mode, it freezed, so I restarted xorg, and tried another config, freezed, the third time I tried another one (I think vesa) and worked.

I got into the Desktop, but I'm not sure if it's worth upgrading. So.. I'm gonna wait some time, specially because there are a lot of rough edges on the new xorg's bulletproof. I mean, the idea of bulletproof is awesome, but it needs some auto-restarting, since I had to do it manually to make it work.

So I'm sticking to Feisty, maybe I'll try Gutsy on a virtual box before reinstalling.

horizonevent
October 19th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Clicked on update manager, and had the new system up and running in about three hours with no problems at all.:)

gn2
October 19th, 2007, 07:24 PM
After problems with 7.10 Upgrade done through Update Manager on my laptop, I tried installing from the Alternate CD.

Pages of installer very slow to load and eventually hung at 82% installing linux-generic.
No HDD activity, no CD-Rom activity, nothing for an hour.

Back to 7.04, currently being re-installed from Alternate CD.

May try to get 7.10 through Update Manager again in a few weeks.

Baphijmm
October 19th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Been working at it for over 24 hours now and there's absolutely no end in sight. I've changed source servers, I've tried doing it in recovery mode, I've downloaded the alternate CD, and there is nothing yet that has gotten me even remotely close to actually getting this upgrade.

Upgrades have been getting progressively worse since I first downloaded 5.10. Seriously, why?

tjk
October 19th, 2007, 08:18 PM
I've been using Linux for over two years now and have faced several upgrades/installations before. But here's my experience with upgrading from Feisty to Gutsy:
Firstly, to avoid all the busy servers I downloaded the files days before the last Gutsy was complete -- although it still took many hours (approx 8 hrs!) on my high speed connection -- then I only had a couple of files to upgrade when the new version was released. In my prior Feisty upgrade the servers were totally jammed for over a week after the release (and by the messages that I'm seeing, they are jammed again this time) -- this idea of getting the upgrade early saved me from much stress.

I followed the basic upgrade instructions found on the KDE (Kubuntu) site, and overall the installation went much better then my installation to Feisty.

When I first tried to upgrade to Gutsy the installer would not start because of some problematic repositories in my package manager. I disable these and the installation ran without any interruptions.

Some of the problems that I faced before finalizing the installation included:
1) changing the video driver back to nv (standard nvidia), then I tried Envy to uninstall/reinstall a newly compiled driver -- but the program couldn't uninstall it, I then accidentally discovered that the Gnome desktop had a menu for "Restricted Drivers" that allowed me to install the Nvidia driver for my specific video card -- then when I rebooted and opened my normally used KDE destop, all was working as it should.
2) I had problems getting Compiz to work (which I was using in Feisty), so I totally removed all files/packages related to Compiz and then reinstalled -- everything works fine now (although I had to adjust my configuration again).
3) I have sound (unlike my upgrade to Feisty) but Amarok complains that "Xine cannot find the drivers" when loading. So I changed the audio driver to OGG and the problem went away --- however I don't know what the effect will be for making this change and may have to troubleshoot this in the future.
4) Some small problems include: no basket icon in Kontact, the need to reinstall/compile Wine and Vmware (and the Admin portion of the Control Center cannot/will not install Wine), I would like to see a tutorial that would help with new features (such as reinstalling the Nvideo driver, VMware, etc).

The good things about Gutsy: some things load faster (although video seems slower), Tasty Menu panel suddenly works (was installed in Feisty, but didn't work), after reinstalling Wine the menu now has submenus, and there are lots of other good things in the upgrade...

Oh, there are always things that I wish had been implemented in this new version (i.e. please work on the "help system"), but all-in-all it's a good upgrade and the process of upgrading was the easiest to date. Well done to all of you who have participated ! And thank you very much !! =D>

egregor
October 19th, 2007, 08:18 PM
I've been using (k)ubuntu since 6.10 I guess, and this install was easily the worst I've been through. I installed kubuntu on one of my machines, ubuntu on the other. Both had serious issues.

First kubuntu:
- I have an EVGA GeForce 7800 GT card. Not overclocked. I think this is a pretty standard card to use in a linux desktop. The desktop installation simply does not work with this card, as the nv driver doesn't work with it under ubuntu - black screen (but has under other distributions.. go figure). So i grabbed the alternate install.
- Ran check CD for errors upon booting the alternate CD. The check resulted in a garbled screen as it checked for errors, and as i tried to see the status through the weird lines, I could not determine in the end if the CD had problems or not. So i crossed my fingers and installed from it anyway.
- Wireless not detected at install-time, despite being a linux-friendly rt-2500 card.
- Install finishes, Grub installs to MBR, trying to boot up from grub i get a no such partition error. Boot in rescue mode, find out that for whatever reason, ubuntu decided to use (hd1) in grub, instead of (hd0). Manually changing hd1 to hd0 solved this problem, but really, should I have to?
- Boot into kubuntu for the first time, and I have two monitors. One displays the progress correctly, the other is a garbled mess of blue. This problem still exists even after using Vesa and Nvidia drivers.
- Wireless support was far from out-of-the-box. Needed to manually edit my /etc/network/interfaces despite (as i mentioned) using a linux friendly card.
- I don't know if easy multi-monitor configuration was promised in kubuntu, as it was ubuntu, but it was just as "easy" as feisty. Use nvidia-settings, which constantly complains about conflicting metamodes, etc, and only sometimes does what I tell it. I got it into a state that hopefully it will be comfortable with now.

Under ubuntu:
- prism wavelan chipset. Not recognized at install-time.
- This is probably my biggest gripe. I wanted to get mp3/dvd/codec support, which is supposed to be easy. Trying to play an mp3, it tells me that i need codecs. OK, try to install gstreamer-XXX. Repository not available, check internet connection and click refresh. Internet's working fine at this point, but trying to click on the gstreamer plugins keeps telling me to refresh. Now i know the servers are really pressured yesterday, but it's coming back with this error immediately. This one had me stumped until I noticed that the package manager COMMENTED OUT every single one of my repositories in /etc/apt/sources.list, since it could not verify them (I assume due to the heavy server load yesterday). What?! What kind of design is that? My sources were completely useless after the server timed out once.

I spent a few hours yesterday working through these issues, and I'm pleased with what I finally ended up with as a desktop, but these installation issues were terrible. I don't know if i'd be comfortable telling one of my non-computer savvy friends to give this a whirl anymore. Having said that, I'm pleased with the desktop experience I've finally ended up with and I'll be leaving it on there.

dnandell
October 19th, 2007, 08:23 PM
I was going to do an upgrade. Thought about it for a day. Decided to wipe/install fresh 7.10.

I wanted to see if I remembered everything I did to customize my system. I also wanted to install a new version of the Cisco VPN client.

Worked like a charm and I remembered everything. Kinda keeps my memory fresh. My version of mind games.

7.10 is nice!

Dave

lasers22
October 19th, 2007, 08:23 PM
i tried to install by way of the update-manager -d with no success i get
the error -failed to fetch http://wine.lowvoice.nl/apt/dists/feisty/release.
i have wine installed,mybe i should unistall wine and try.
i have downloaded the iso file for 7.10 gutsy so i will burn it to a disk and try to
install from it. also i am dual booting my laptop i had vista installed but ever since i installed
ubuntu i have not booted up to vista since,i like to get this to work.:(:(

mariuss
October 19th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Downloaded iso images using bittorrent yesterday, that went very fast.

Tried to install using the alternate disk, and installed stuck for hours "Scanning for mirror...", unplugging network cable did not help. Also, the system was overheating, probably processor was maxed out (no idea why), so I had to shut down.

Tried again today and eventually went past "Scanning for mirror".

This is pretty bad, if I install from CD I would expect to be able to skip the mirror checking. Also, while scanning for mirrors the processor should not max out.

Tilos
October 19th, 2007, 08:38 PM
My clock is going to fast. WAY to fast. It's affecting everything. The clock in the system tray is ticking by a minute every few seconds. The repeat rate on my keyboard is insane. Animated GIFs in Firefox are changing so rapidly they're just a blur. The animated mouse cursor rotates to fast when launching programs. It's impossible to double-click because the time between clicks is passing to fast.

Any ideas?

jpittack
October 19th, 2007, 08:38 PM
I used bitorrent, backed up files, went from gutsy beta with huge mistakes caused by me to a clean, shiny, gutsy final with wireless working after following usual howto, ati driver in from restricted manager (can't wait for the new ones!), and my favorite time waster, battle for wesnoth back in place. Next is compiz, but not until the servers cool off (I am sure many want this working up to snuff) and my analog dsl connection starts downloading at higher than 2000 b/s.:(

jamillikan
October 19th, 2007, 08:42 PM
I did a fresh install of 7.10 on an HP Pavilion Slimline s7500n PC. The installation was unremarkable.

Pros

1. Enabling the proprietary driver for the onboard ATI card is easy.
2. Enabling XGL was easy.
3. Compiz-Fusion is absolutely beautiful and slick.

Cons

4. Something is VERY wrong with Pidgin. My system was functioning beautifully until I launched that application and then the system speed was like it was in a trance.

5. DOSEMU installed, but dosemu-freedos is not going to be installed. Joy of joys.

6. Clicking on "Applications" one had to wait a good 15 seconds for anything to happen. A log out fixed it until I launched Pidgin again when the same sluggish response returned.

7. No boot splash screen after enabling XGL with ATI and Compiz-fusion. i.e., the boot screen is black with some "bug" notice flashing quickly and then disappearing. I've already found how to resolve that, but should I have to? Just a thought.

8. The DOSEMU issue was "sort of" resolved by grabbing DOSEMU 1.4 from dosemu.org and using Alien and dpkg. Once I did that, immediate Gutsy reported an updated package was available. I installed the update to DOSEMU.

9. After futzing with it for two days, I finally said, "This is a beautiful desktop" but I've had enough. Downgraded where I think I'll stay bercause everything "just works flawlessly." (Glad I made an image of the previous version before I did a fresh install.)

10. I don't have time to muck-around resolving these "issues." My current "system" works flawlessly with Beryl, so I'm staying put, but I think Pidgin needs a closer look for whatever reason.

Note: Your experience will probably be better than mine, but I'm just offering up my thoughts that, while a stunningly beautiful presentation, something just isn't quite right yet. I'm sure the fine folks at Ubuntu will resolve these "issues" in time and all will be well. I haven't the time to waste on it currently.

Joe

ogcub
October 19th, 2007, 08:42 PM
I upgraded from feisty and got lots of problems:
my resolution was lovered back to 1024x something(was 1280x1024), and choosing intel driver don't help this time, gnome panel icons messed up (due to resolution changes i think), some custom settings lost, customized keyboard (metacity) shortcuts dont work (using gconf-editor shows some strange <mod4> key added, removing it solves problem, but still), Window deformation effect gone (was in feisty, but unable to find in Gutsy).
On the positive side new screen and graphics tool is good (but still buggy for me (duo to driver problems i think), compiz works better and i can watch movies then using it.

ANOther thing is that upgrade rquired user intervention: Some package asked if i want to replace some config in the midlle ot the process. This is bad. such things shuold be postponed until the end, becaus it you aren't monitoring it, it will stop.

reset3x
October 19th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Upgraded Xubuntu 7.04 to 7.10. The only problem I have is the Network Monitor disappeared from one of my panels and I can't get it back. Tried adding a new one. Tried deleting the netload rc file from my panel directory and adding to the panel. Haven't found a fix.

fragility14
October 19th, 2007, 09:19 PM
I upgraded Kubuntu and it works fine thus far, except that strangely enough MSN no longer works on Kopete (has a crash) but AIM still does...I downloaded a seperate program for MSN.

Stanley Krute
October 19th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Started my install last night. It finished up about 9 hrs later. And I have a fast Internet connection (3mbps). On a dual-booting (Win XP and Ubuntu) Toshiba Satellite a-105 laptop.

So far, the major problem is with sound. It no longer works.

The major win is wireless networking. It no longer drops every couple of minutes.

I'll revise this post as I solve the sound issue.

-- stan

malel
October 19th, 2007, 09:24 PM
There were some upgrades I had to do and then it said that 7.10 was available for upgrade . I clecked the button with intrepidation and it carried out the upgrade flawlessly. Took about 3 hours but it is all done now and running great . I have not been able to give it a thorough test yet but the first thing I noticed is that it seems to start up programs faster than 7.04

angkor
October 19th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Upgrade worked flawlessly for the first time.

I've upgraded a lot over the years and Egdy -> Feisty was good (only some minor issues I can't remember) this one just went perfect. Didnt need to fix anything,

YoYoSan
October 19th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Upgrade worked. Thanks.

On the edge of removing my dual boot but:

still to sort:

1. Screen resolution - 1280 x 1024 Intel driver on a laptop - again.

2. KNetwork manager forgot passwords - wireless access to sort - again.

Cheers

MeTheOrion
October 19th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Upgraded from 7.04 to 7.1 Gutsy..
That went flawlessly and everything seems to work fine.
But am having problems with any other upgrade done daily as i get some GPG key error.
Also my suspend is completely screwed. Never goes into suspend even with the right settings - and if i do a manual suspend, then it freezes and i need to reboot.

But all in all - a very good experience..

luminair
October 19th, 2007, 10:07 PM
The purpose of this thread is to share your experience installing/upgrading gutsy.

Did it worked flawlessly ?
Did you got problems ?
Did you manage to solve them ?
if yes how ?

Feel free to post your experience here and think to explain how you solved the problems you got, it might help other users in your case.

Thank you for contributing :KS

We are still waiting for someone to fix the update-manager so upgrading from 7.04 works... who knows how many people have the problem, but no one in development has even acknowledged the bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/153980

Insane_Homer
October 19th, 2007, 10:23 PM
i got the usual problems with trying to install on a 2nd disk with XP on primary and GRUB giving an error 17.

Given up with trying to get GRUB to sort it out. I want to use boot.ini as the preferred OS selector and point to the Ubuntu install. Most of the articles I've found are pretty confusing. Mostly trying to figure out the disk/partition allocations.

not a major, will sort it out. just annoying trying for find old disks with dfisk to fix the MBR when it doen't work.

TR82
October 19th, 2007, 10:30 PM
My first post here using 7.10 :)

First a huge thank you to all the developers & individuals who have helped bring 7.10 together.

For me the upgrade to 7.10 was a bit hit & miss. I tried the upgrade option, from 7.04 to 7.10, but got half a hundred error messages. Probably could quite comfortably sit here & blame 7.10 for that, but I've every expectation it's because I've tweaked and twiddled about with 7.04 so much over the last month that I'd screwed it over. So that upgrade failure I'll blame on me.

So decided to go for the fresh install route. That didn't initially work either, kept getting error messages from the CD's I'd burned ... so eventually I tried burning a disc not at the maximum speed possible but at 20x and finally came up with a CD that would let me install 7.10 in full and without any major problems. So I'll blame that one on me too !

So now I'm sitting here and getting everything set up the way I like it. I've been using the search facility on this forum for all my little queries, rather than post questions here there and everywhere - have found that just about all my questions have already been posed - and answered - you just have to do a little bit of digging about.

Thanks again for 7.10. I am very grateful.

pvonbert
October 19th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Was just talkin to my son about the upgrade.
At home, a i368 upgraded w/o problem. Had to fight a bit the screen resolution as the mouse cursor kept disappearing when changing resolution, but i got it!
At work, a i386, printer and file,(samba) and mysql and apache server worked flawlessly, no problem whatsoever.
But my AMD64 was another story. And I am blaming only myself ... I used Automatix and a few other things I do not even remember, so had to tar the home directory and reinstall from scratch, and after a few hours is all running better than before.

Now is time to play ...
Congrats to all
p

Dave Otter
October 19th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Upgraded from Feisty to Gutsy.No sound! Had to revert to Feisty!
Dave Otter

Robor
October 19th, 2007, 10:52 PM
I've been running Feisty since launch and didn't have any problems at launch time or down the road. I upgraded to Gutsy yesterday and it was not nearly as smooth. My problems include:

- Random crashes in Firefox. UbuntuForums.org just failed to load completely and hung the browser. This has happened frequently and so far I haven't been able to pin down where/why it hangs.

- Black screens in windows when using compiz-fusion. So far it's happened in Thunderbird and several times in my Firefox bookmarks menus. Disabling desktop effects fixed the issue.

- Sound issues. With audio enabled in my WinXP VM I get popup errors about sound not being available in Ubuntu. This didn't happen at all in Feisty.

- VMWare Server performance is horrible. I get frequent 'pauses' where typing and mouse activity totally stop. It feels like I'm using RDP over a slow connection - it's really annoying.

- Streaming audio in my WinXP VM broke. I normally listen to an online radio feed in my VM because it doesn't load properly in native Ubuntu (Firefox). Now that stream connects, buffers, plays, buffers, plays, repeat. Tested it on another Windows box and the stream is fine.

Oh well. I guess that's what I can expect for upgrading to a just released OS. Hope bugs get worked out soon.

Henk Poley
October 19th, 2007, 11:08 PM
In short summary style ;-)

Tried updating a Gentoo install that hasn't been maintained for a >1.5y. Gave up. Ran the Kubuntu 7.10 desktop CD. Tried resizing the reiserfs partition I used for Gentoo with QtParted. It doesn't do reiserfs. Tried other methods. Found in the end that gparted ("gnome version of" QtParted) can resize reiserfs.

Installed Kubuntu. Reboot. rsync'ed my old homedir to new partition. Relogin. Fiddled with config to enable fancy shadows and transparent windows. Reboot. Installed Skype and Opera. Checked if kmail still reads my (very) old mailboxes. It does :-)

Everything seems to work fine.

gali98
October 19th, 2007, 11:09 PM
I'm sorry to say that this was not what I expected.
The install process went bad. when it firgured out my xorg.conf it messed up somewhere. It won't do my mouse correctly. I can't click or and it won't even detect when it hovers over something. But no worries... I just used a backup of my feisty conf and all is good. The updates are messed up, but I assume that is because the servers were hit hard. Overall it was a good experiance except for the mouse thing (which I think may have been caused by my wacom tablet)
Oh and one other weird thing (though for all I know this was supposed to happen)
My hard drives that were hda and hdb in feisty are sda and sdb in gusty.

mystery
October 19th, 2007, 11:10 PM
On my desktop the splash screen comes up OK, but reverts to a blank screen with the cursor blinking in the upper RHC of the monitor.

Same thing happens on an ASUS laptop.

Tried nosplash and verbose.

System stalled with this message.

Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block 0

Tried again after advice from a forum member to wait for 5 or 6 attempts to boot past this point but got a whole lot of code on screen and back to the cursor.

Dapper boots normally.

Garyu
October 19th, 2007, 11:20 PM
First I did an upgrade on my x64 installation of Feisty. It worked mostly, but I lost graphics. This helpful window came up and asked me for monitor and graphics card specifications, so I entered them but only got 800x600 resolution.

My system is:
AMD Athlon x64 AM2
nVidia GeForce 7600GT 256 Mb
Compaq S720 monitor (which btw isn't listed, but S710 is so I chose that one)

I actually didn't even try to resolve this. I just downloaded the CD and did a clean install (I have /home on a separate partition so it's the easiest way anyways). The clean installation worked great immediately, but since I could only choose one I answered on the upgrade issue in the poll.

ZolaMoukoko
October 19th, 2007, 11:27 PM
I tried to upgrade, Nvidia-glx failed, then soffice.bin crashed and now nothing loads at all. Looks like I'm downloading the CD and starting afresh.

locketine
October 19th, 2007, 11:33 PM
upgrade went really slowly, probably because everyone else in the world was also upgrading from feisty.

The upgrade removed beryl from my computer which is unfortunate because I'm already missing some of the cooler effects that aren't included with fusion like the magic lamp and fast window select. But at least it's more stable.

Firefox got seriously messed up which might be because it was open during the upgrade. Basically it froze every couple of seconds while browsing just about any site, with the exception of this one. The fix was to rebuild my mozilla profile by renaming .mozilla in my home directory.

Etienne Bertens
October 19th, 2007, 11:45 PM
The upgrade failed.I received a reply that several repositories could not be reached I tried to upgrade through the update manager. The servers are obviously going into meltdown. I'll leave it for a few days now.
:(

Crashedfiesta
October 19th, 2007, 11:51 PM
I have not even got past the first install screen. :mad:

Gutsy thrashes away at my floppy drive then crashes out at the first hurdle. I've tried the alternate iso with no more luck. I've even disconnected the floppy drive and disabled the FDD controller in BIOS but that makes no difference.

I've been using 6.06 successfully but I really want to upgrade. Is there no-one who knows what this problem is???

django_sr
October 19th, 2007, 11:55 PM
The upgrade process from feisty to gutsy gave me troubles!!

On Xubuntu I started the upgrade graphically and saw it downloading the files and upgrading my /etc/apt/sources.list to gutsy. The upgrade process asked me some questions about files under /etc like passwd (this one I let the upgrade script install newly). So far, so good.

However, I had to leave for work and thought I would finish it when I got back.

Then when I returned from work, I got back at my PC and wanted to start again.

Troubles awaited....because the xscreenserver 4.2. was refusing to log me in again, and kept complaining after I had given it my correct password. The answer I got was that my authentication had failed.

I then managed to ssh into the machine, but I couldn't get my screen back so I couldn't know where the upgrade script was....

I rebooted and saw a glimpse of the upgrade script, that it would be finished oin 2 minutes and then after the machine rebooted, I saw that there was a kernel panic and I couldn't start th PC.

I then reverted to systemrescuecd and got my files of the harddrive and now I'm using the xubuntu 7.10 iso to install the system.

eladner
October 19th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Upgraded from Fiesty to Gutsy via update-manager.

A few minor issues like it's hard to keep the NVIDIA drivers installed and restricted-manager doesn't work well from the command line (what happened to bulletproof-X?)

When logged in Gnome, clicking the red logout button in the upper right freezes X completely. Have to SSH in adn kill the process or ctrl-alt-backspace out.

Sunn3K7aas
October 20th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Did a fresh install on my Compaq 2100 laptop, 40GB HDD, AMD Athlon XP2400+, ATI IGP320M. It went well, despite the fact that my BIOS has randomly decided not to recognise my CD-ROM drive anymore (it's a gamble whether or not it will find it when I boot up). Really only two things have cropped up so far: X decided my graphics card was a "vesa", but this was easily fixed in xorg.conf (switched to the "radeon" driver). The other problem is my wireless card, which is a Netgear WG111v2 usb dongle. I've had this problem since Feisty. Network manager for some reason does not like this card, it hardly ever connects to an open network and has never connected to a secure network. Up till now I've just used the "sudo dhclient wlan0" command to connect to an unsecure network and wifi-radar to connect to a WEP secured network, I've not had much luck with WPA. The wierd thing is, is that KNetworkManager works almost perfectly. Well, it hasn't been too much trouble though, no worries right now. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with 7.10! :)

genterminl
October 20th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Within the past two weeks I upgraded from dapper to edgy to feisty and now to gutsy. In general, no major problems. Evolution and Firefox kept all their settings (except it took a bit of work to get Flash fully upgraded). My big problem is that my repository list seems to still have some remnants of dapper, so I get some errors every time I refresh the package list. I'm going to do some more searching before posting a new thread about that.

buntunub
October 20th, 2007, 12:31 AM
X server issues when attempting dual monitors via Screens and Graphics.

HP dv2415nr Lappy w/Nvidia 6150 integrated.

Also, after MUCH dickering around and finally using the nvidia-settings utility to force fix xorg, I got dual monitors working and Compiz, but frequent and random lockups ........still..........occur. This is an issue that follows Feisty up. Will probably follow into the next release too as its apparently not considered serious that peoples X screens are buggy while in Compiz, and dual monitors via that joke they threw in with Gutsy called "Screens and Graphics" cant properly setup xorg.

Jimlas53
October 20th, 2007, 12:51 AM
I upgraded one machine from Dapper to Edgy to Feisty, finally to Gutsy RC1. Other than the amount of time it takes to do so many upgrades, everything works well. This is a desktop machine Gutsy has been very stable, even when running VirtualBox with the Feisty package.

My notebook has been running Gutsy, but being a Toshiba, it seems cursed with no audio and no SD card. I upgraded from Feisty to GutsyRC1 with no issues (other than those noted). Did a clean install 2 days ago, did not resolve audio:(

GOOD JOB devs! Thanks!

-Doug

mastercho
October 20th, 2007, 12:52 AM
worked, only took a couple hours, but now that xgl is supposedly installed properly, my whole desktop is running really really slow. and its annoying. used to be nice and fast running. with no issues. now just scrolling down the forums takes forever. its like im stuck on 5fps for my desktop or something..

when i get it resolved i shall be a happy camper. but its making me not use my comp at all.

old_salt
October 20th, 2007, 12:59 AM
Clean install of Gutsy on an HP DV900z is NOT working. VERY disappointed in this release as less works than the previous release. I can't even compile source code because the tools aren't even available.

This is a serious issue and unless your running a DELL then steer clear of Gutsy.

EXCiD3
October 20th, 2007, 01:07 AM
Hi,
Well I decided to do a fresh install (finally got rid of windows), and unfortunately I'm one of the few out there suffering from a black screen at boot-up, followed by an approximate 5 minute wait before Gutsy then suddenly bursts into life.
After that it works fine, but the ambiguity of the black screen however was/is worrying and the boot-time is atrocious. Hopefully, this'll all get fixed very soon!

Not sure if this will help, but removing the splash option from the boot parameters has been reported to fix this.

As for my installation results, I am quite disappointed. Everything works great in Feisty, with a few minor tweaks here and there. In Gutsy, my nvidia driver does not work correctly. I have tried quite a few different things producing no usuable nvidia driver. I have been forced to revert to the NV driver meaning I am unable to use Compiz or correctly configure my dual monitors. Other various problems I have encountered are unable to compile from source as the appropriate dependencies are unvailable.

I have decided to return to Feisty as I can get the support that I need. Until Gutsy is updated to fix these issues I will return to Feisty.

Hawksail
October 20th, 2007, 01:12 AM
There doesn't seem to be a category for "dead in the water".

The initial file download consistently returns a "file not found" error.

I guessed server load issues, but have tried at all hours over three days and am still getting the same error.

Not sure about a fix - I'll probably try the alternate install CD at some point.

agent8131
October 20th, 2007, 01:22 AM
I upgraded my AMD64 Kubuntu desktop system from Feisty to Gutsy today and documented my experiences. I tried to use the graphical updaters but ended up using apt-get instead. I concluded that if you use the shell for other system work then you should probably use it for upgrading. If you never use a shell then hopefully the graphical tools will work for you. I then did some configuration work and some cleanup of old packages. Anyone who's interested can read the details here:

Upgrading Kubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn) to 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) from a shell (mostly) (http://ubuntumagnet.com/2007/10/upgrading-kubuntu-7-04-feisty-fawn-7-10-gutsy-gibbon-shell-mostly)

Configuring Kubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) following the Upgrade from 7.04 (Fesity Fawn) (http://ubuntumagnet.com/2007/10/configuring-kubuntu-7-10-gutsy-gibbon-following-upgrade-7-04-fesity-fawn)

Sun_Paladin
October 20th, 2007, 01:26 AM
I was upgrading from 7.04 to 7.10 but my screensaver kicked in during the install and screwed up that method. Something happened with the installed files and I couldn't access any of the kernels that I had in dual boot. Tried the Live CD and it was apparently corrupted and stopped at 75% install. Then things really got bad. Apparently that screwed up my MBR and so now I can't access Windows except through a live CD. Got another copy of the Live CD but Ubiquity keeps on crashing. Still trying to figure out the text based installer and wondering if I'm going to ever get access to my stuff in Windows before Monday. I'll probably not have Ubuntu for a while until the developers get the install method down pat. It's been a very long day.

EDIT: Finally got everything working when the fresh install was completed with the alternate CD. Haven't tried out Linux yet as I was quite ecstatic at getting Windows back online. Losing all my school documents would have been catastrophic. The text base installer is the way I will be going in the future since everything went off without a hitch.

Calash
October 20th, 2007, 01:28 AM
I had a couple of problems, but I was able to resolve them.

VirtualBox would not start after the upgrade. This was due to the repo being disabled, and a simple visit to the Software Source area cleared that up fine.

The system then began to hang after login, never loading gnome-panels. This was due to an outdated version of Compiz-Fusion installed by a 3rd party repo. There are some good instructions over at the Desktop Effects forum to clear this up, but basically you need to completely remove all of the old Compiz stuff, including the config files in my case. Reinstalled the ones for Gutsy and all is good.

Had to reinstall Emerald as well. Small step but still a hiccup.

In all it was fairly smooth. This weekend I will be doing my MythTV box....that should be interesting :)

mycotropic
October 20th, 2007, 02:10 AM
Very nearly flawless.

Update install on a Lenovo 3000 C200. My Fiesty install would not find my wireless or my sound. Gutsy found both. The sound has to be turned up in ALSAMIXER though since there is no level control available anywhere that I can see.

I believe I have one problem with a legacy program (Haploview) that requires a specific SunJava and it isn't the one that comes with Gutsy.

Other than that though everything is where I left it and working fine.

http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/guitar.gif

linuxjoe
October 20th, 2007, 02:12 AM
upgrade failed after installing. only got the desktop background and no menus or other desktop functions. mouse moved around the screen but no mouse click functions or keyboard functions

then tried a fresh install from cd installed but on reboot only a blank screen. no splash screen or other indication that the system is starting. system will run with the livecd though

monday morning i will dig into it when i get back to work.

Photon
October 20th, 2007, 02:19 AM
Got the live cd to boot, but could not install it. Installation gets stuck at 22% all the time. And when i used the check cd for errors option, it showed one error. I lost my previous ubuntu installation (7.04) as i had to do a fresh install cause of change in hardware.

TZRick
October 20th, 2007, 02:28 AM
Linux rocks!

The only issue I had with the upgrade was the Medibuntu sources had changed. I removed the sources, performed the upgrade, found the correct location and everything works! I'm not sure I can find the changes in the O/S, but one major change is that flash works much, much faster in my browser of choice: Opera. I used to have problems and would launch Firefox when visiting Flash-heavy sites, but for some reason, Flash absolutely screams now in Opera on Gutsy!

In any case, no problems and one improvement so far, on hardware that is over 6 years old!

Awesome job guys!

larryboythedog
October 20th, 2007, 02:53 AM
Worked out of the box! I do have twin monitors and can easily get a twin head set working with about 2 or 3 clicks! Unfortunately My video card won't let me have that much desktop real estate AND compiz! Oh well. I can't seem to get my monitor on the digital connection to be the default but thaat's no real hardship... Great job Thanks. (The final candidate seems much more stable than the final release candidate was.) I'm loving my life!

Can+~
October 20th, 2007, 02:59 AM
It worked! I was complaining about the LiveCD bootin problems, but when I installed it, it automatically recognized my screen size and offered the Ati drivers!

I can't use fglrx, but this is an issue I had with Feisty too, looks like my Ati X800 is the problem =(. Compiz disabled, but everything else is nice.

American_Outcast
October 20th, 2007, 02:59 AM
The upgrade worked for me without any problems at all. So I voted Upgrade - worked flawlessly

ZenWarrior
October 20th, 2007, 03:02 AM
Nothing but problems. I won't even go into them b/c Ubuntu has already wasted far too much of my time today.

Market share? Ubuntu made no friends, but *LOTS* of enemies, today at my company. In fact, it's goodbye to Ubuntu forever for several people I thought I might persuade otherwise.

Me? I've decided to buy Vista. (Yea, it was that bad.)

tonywhelan
October 20th, 2007, 03:11 AM
I chose to do a fresh install onto a second hard disk rather than over-write my 7.04 installation. Whilst things were a bit slow as all the mirrors were being hammered by people like me who couldn't wait a couple more days, it all went well.

Only mistake I made was to leave the original hard disk drive connected whilst running the Install for the new disk. I wanted to copy over my documents, settings etc from old to new after the installation was done, and that worked ok. But the installer seemed to assume that the new disk didsn't need to be bootable, as there was already a bootable disk present. Not a problem till I removed the old disk today, and the system wouldn't boot! Had to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst to refer to correct drive number (hd0 not hd1) and ran a Grub utility I had on CD to make the new disk bootable. Everything lovely now.

Next time I install an OS to a new drive I will disconnect any other hard disks first. :)

scohar70
October 20th, 2007, 03:13 AM
I upgraded two computers (1 server, 1 laptop) and both worked nearly flawlessly for me. Gutsy fixed two long-standing problems I had in Feisty: poor video resolution and no good codecs to play quicktime.

I had to reinstall hplip 2.7.10 (out today) to get my fax working again, but apart from that the upgrade was amazingly clean.

:guitar::guitar::guitar:

prestidigination
October 20th, 2007, 03:31 AM
Fresh install on a laptop that had been running 7.04
Screen stuck at a single resolution that is unusable.
Firefox has no flash and the pluggin finder service locks up.
Unable to steam .pls MP3
I'm going back to 7.04

quixote
October 20th, 2007, 03:41 AM
Lots of problems. I did the recommended upgrade via the network. Well, it was on the first day of release, so I think the entire world was downloading the Gibbon. I have a medium-fast broadband connection, and it was crawling at sub-dialup speeds.

I had my Feisty fully up to date, but there was no "Version Upgrade" button in my kde or "Update Manager" in my gnome, as advertised. I have no idea why, and I got bored with trying to figure it out. So I just followed the command line instructions for the server upgrade. (sudo apt-get install update-manager-core, and sudo do-release-upgrade.) Possibly, that was stupid. But it trundled at, as I say, slow dialup speed half the day and all of the night, and when I woke up in the morning I had to answer a few questions to get the upgrade to finish.

It booted fine. It preserved my old settings for Firefox, my desktop, and so on. I was quite pleased. I like OO 2.3. I like the new icons and such.

I normally use kde. In gnome the background has become very dark, so I wanted to change it. The desktop configuration didn't work at all. The window came up, but none of the buttons (except "close," thankfully) were active.

My big interest in Gutsy was to see if it made connecting to Bluetooth devices and my wireless easier. I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 with a Broadcom 4309 (ver 3) chip. As far as I can tell, this was the only one ever made, and it never works with anything. Despite a couple of hours spent trying to install ndiswrapper without my beloved Automatix, I got nowhere. And who knows what I broke in the process. The other thing that amazes me is the WEP-only default encryption. I mean, I have WPA on my Feisty, for Pete's sake.

The Bluetooth didn't work by itself. I'll try some troubleshooting tomorrow, but my track record so far has not been good. (I'm trying to establish as connection to a treo 650. I also have a hack on it to turn on bluetooth DUN.)

So my overall impression is that the Gibbon would be a great companion if it would come out of the trees. I'm waiting for a supply of bananas to use as bribes.

No, seriously. It would help to have the command easily available that one needs to fix broken installs. It was sudo dpkg something, or sudo something something. You know the one I mean? :) Because for all I know, there's just something incomplete about my install that needs to be fixed.

M_N_M74
October 20th, 2007, 03:44 AM
did a fresh install, removed windows. The only problem is upon booting I get a blank screen have to use ctrl/alt/f-1 to see anything. Have no idea why it's doing this...any ideas?

M_N_M

EXCiD3
October 20th, 2007, 04:07 AM
did a fresh install, removed windows. The only problem is upon booting I get a blank screen have to use ctrl/alt/f-1 to see anything. Have no idea why it's doing this...any ideas?

M_N_M

Pretty sure this is the splash problem. Just remove "splash" from the boot parameters. See if that works.

the lush
October 20th, 2007, 04:27 AM
I did my upgrade this morning and so far these ar my observations:

1. I have no sound
2. I have lost the cube
3. The system monitor shows that the system no longer recognises the dual cores of my CPU
4. The system seems to be faster, or at least visually smoother
5. All of the forum help has as always been excellent and friendly
6. Sadly none of it has worked
7. I really wish I could roll back to Feisty + Beryl. The good parts of Gutsy in no way compensate for the bad. I am submitting this from my Windows partition as Gutsy is just too much hassle. I would try a clean install, but GRUB has given me so many problems before that I am scared to try it.

freemti
October 20th, 2007, 04:36 AM
no sound....:confused:

How could a problem this widespread have been missed?

Quartieri
October 20th, 2007, 04:40 AM
i had an easy upgrade.. downloading directly from c3sl in brazil.. 30 minutes to the complete upgrade.. that was pretty cool.. =)

reyfer
October 20th, 2007, 04:51 AM
Did the upgrade with Update Manager, had a little issue with Nvidia not working correctly after reboot (not working 3d correctly) and system a little slow, but it was solved by
sudo apt-get remove evms
sudo update-initramfs -uNow the system is a little faster than with Feisty, and it looks smooth :):)

lolo67
October 20th, 2007, 05:18 AM
:( works great

freemti
October 20th, 2007, 05:25 AM
OK, switching to the Generic kernel fixed my sound problems. Now to find out if a)I should switch my grub default to that (and how) or b)wait for the fix for the 386 kernel?

cor2y
October 20th, 2007, 05:29 AM
Just as bad as The Upgrade to Edgy i did.
It forced me to do a fresh install and while i didn't lose my data getting the system back to where i want is the most painful thing, at the moment i am still trying to figure out why i can't run azureus and why any and all qt3/qt4 based apps are looking so ugly in Gutsy when they looked so much better in Feisty.

Also for a bit i lost xv video output as well as the default alsa (turns out i had to reconfigure x for the video and setup my soundcard with asound to enable alsa)
All in all it has not been a pleasant 24 hrs from the botched upgrade to having to do a fresh install.
The advice i would impart here is
1) Set up a seperate /home partition and do a clean install for every new version of ubuntu or wait a few weeks/months then do the upgrade by then usually a kernel upgrade and fixes are done so its less painful then doing it in the first few days..

2) What worked in a previous version may not likely work in the next one, so be ready for a few hiccups.

abhilash82
October 20th, 2007, 05:37 AM
the upgrade took place without a hitch and I am really impressed with the way it has been designed with minimal user input required. My gutsy is stable and runs smoothly like my Feisty and that too with only 256MB RAM.

bper
October 20th, 2007, 06:03 AM
Performed a clean install after backing up data from Dapper system. Installed Gutsy over Dapper, restored my data files from my backup, and everything seems to be working fine.

parsek77
October 20th, 2007, 06:04 AM
Almost a disastrous install on Toshiba M40 laptop !

I was not expecting this from Ubuntu. First problem was at partitioning. I have a windows partition located at /dev/sda1. I changed the mount point of this partition to /windows but I suggest to leave it as /media/sda1. Otherwise it stucks at creating ext3 file system for /. Then you need to run Gparted and unmount the windows partition so installer can continue. I spent many hours to find this. This might be a bug because it did not happen in Kubuntu 7.10.

Installation was OK but when I logged in I saw about 400 packages waiting to be upgraded. This surprised me because I wasn't expecting this much upgrade for a new released distro. Update was slow because of heavy trafiic through servers but went flawless.

The second part of the problem was nvidia proprietary driver install. Gutsy installs nvidia-glx-new (100.14.19) as default. If you have a 6xxx or 7xxxx series card, I suggest to use nvidia-glx driver(1.0.9639). With the new driver it can never activate it and falls back to 640x480 resolution. I first did the full upgrade without enabling restricted drivers. Restart the computer and then install nvidia-glx driver from synaptic. Then change the "nv" driver section of your xorg.conf file to "nvidia". You can do this if borders of the windows are gone when you activate compiz-fusion:

sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals -d 24

Now, everything works. It took me almost a day to accomplish all this. Good luck.

luisjorge
October 20th, 2007, 06:15 AM
Hi everyone! I upgraded yesterday over the network from Feisty, and had to restart the upgrade about 5 times, and had to select a different server about 3 times. Finally, the upgrade finished and it was a nightmare:

1. I have a 915 GML Intel video card, and the resolution didn't work properly.
2. The video problems got even worse after trying to select a different resolution from the new "Screens and graphics" manager.
3. Even more video problems every time the login screen was loaded.
4. The network manager worked in an erratic behaviour (sometimes it connected automatically, sometimes it didn't, sometimes it completely crashed).
5. aMSN didn't work anymore.
6. OpenOffice.org didn't work anymore.
7. Firefox crashed multiple times.
8. Couldn't enable desktop effects, or get Compiz to work.
9. Finally, the login window failed to load, the X server crashed and I decided to make a fresh install.

So I made backups of my files, downloaded the CD image, and began a new install. After about 1 hour, the install was ready and I was pleased to find that ALMOST EVERYTHING was working out of the box.
I no longer had the resolution problems I had in Feisty, wireless worked perfectly, graphics and compiz worked like a dream, everything was faster and smoother. Installed a few things through Automatix and everything else was up and running.

I only have three problems, so far:

1. I can play sound files and movies, and use ekiga properly, but there aren't any system sounds. I set up the login screen to use a sound when asking for the username, but all I can hear is the horrendous system beep. Then, after typing my password, I can hear the startup music, but no splash screen showing that everything is loading. Then, everything is fine, but no matter what I do, I can't get the system sounds to work. ALSA seems to be fine, my sound card is installed and detected, and I can play music files individually, but I can't set any sounds to system events, because I can't hear anything. Not even the log out music. Also, sound previews of music files can't be heard. I have tried many solutions, from re-detecting my sound card to recompiling and reinstalling alsa drivers, and nothing has worked yet.

2. The Firefox plugin, Ubufox, is annoying. Some pages look quite awful with this, and I think is this plugin's fault, because it didn't happen in Feisty.

3. I got aMSN running properly, but my god is ugly! All fonts look wrong and the layout of the whole thing looks terrible. Still, it's not the end of the world, since it works flawlessly.

So, after the nightmare that was the upgrade, a fresh install did the job. Overall I'm very satisfied with the new version:), but I would really like to have the system sounds working. It's a bit annoying to have that bug.:(

Does anyone know a workaround for this sound problem? It seems to be quite widespread.

Thanks!

garenasix
October 20th, 2007, 06:20 AM
sweet ...... the upgrade worked Gr8 on my old compaq deskpro P3 thank you ubuntu team :KS:KS:KS:KS:KS

Snyper64
October 20th, 2007, 06:29 AM
Almost a perfect upgrade, everything about the upgrade went well. My only problem was getting my dual screens working through the new screen manager. Ended up having to go into command line and restoring xorg.conf from the repository and than copying in a dual desktop configuration from my Feisty install. Other than that everything works better now and I can finally use my scanner no that the USB suspend problem has been fixed in the new kernal.

Arrdee
October 20th, 2007, 06:43 AM
I upgraded from Feisty on my laptop, and it went as smooth as possible. I was up and running with no errors afterwards.

Though, sounds like I may have been lucky.

HW_Hack
October 20th, 2007, 06:43 AM
My upgrade from 7.04 was flawless -- but with Linux I keep things middle-of-the-road / vanilla simple ..... why - because I'm lazy

- I use Intel MBs because I know Intel tests their HW / BIOS with several Linux flavors prior to releasing product AND they do a lot of ACPI testing

- I'm using a decent Nvidia AGP Express card ($150 range) not some cutting edge gamer model

- I've got a dual boot / dual disk system --- 2 SATA drives one for Linux one for XP

- Pentium D 2.xGHz CPU

Dead-nuts simple - works every time:guitar:

mashtdi
October 20th, 2007, 06:49 AM
I am not a happy camper.

I have to put in a vote for "couldn't even get to the point of installing the OS"

So far ive tried the Upgrade from 7.04, a fresh install from the live CD, a fresh install from the alternate CD and each time something has gone wrong just after the initial format. I take that back, the live CD would hang in the middle of loading.

I have never had much luck with Ubuntu. Every version I have tried has its share of bugs...
I seem to remember a time when everyone hated windows because it had so many problems.... I think the only reason why everyone is putting up with Ubuntu's problems is because they dont have to pay for it.

At the end of the day.... I can install Windows XP on pretty much anything and get it to run without problems.

bharris25
October 20th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Been playing with the Beta for about 2 weeks and it's been pretty stable for me. Compiz doesn't seem to work as smooth as Beryl on my Linux mint 3.0, and my sound is very quiet, you can't hardly hear it, it was like that when I downloaded Feisty and Mint but the update fixed it both times I'm hoping the update will fix it this time because I haven't been able to figure it out myself yet but other than that it's pretty good. Gutsy recognizes more of the hardware on my Toshiba Satellite A105-S4104, like the scroll on the side of my touch pad now works...first time since xp. I can also double tap the top of windows with my touch pad and grab them. Gutsy seems to eat my battery life more than Feisty or Mint though, I only get about 2 hours with Gutsy but I can go over to Mint with my dual boot and get almost 3 hours. Turning off Compiz really doesn't make a difference. Overall I'm Pretty happy with it.

dbqp
October 20th, 2007, 07:07 AM
I went from 6.06 to 7.10

I backed up everything to my Ubuntu server here at home and wiped the hard drive. I wanted a fresh system. At first, the DVD I created seemed to be a little flaky (which should have warned me!) I installed after running live and things seemed to be okay (that's why I didn't think anything of the "flaky" DVD). I tried to get my wireless going from the start and ran into poblem after problem. After sleeping on it and spending my day researching, I figured I try burning a new DVD ISO. Well, well, well. I did and reinstalled and everything has worked perfectly!

I have my Thunderbird, VM Ware XP, and all my data restored from back up. The only issue was the area between the chair and the keyboard ;)

Great Upgrade! Thank you!

fabiomb
October 20th, 2007, 07:10 AM
I have a uncommon configuration of hard disks.
One old 80Gb IDE for storage
One 160Gb SATA with Windows XP and Feisty
And today i buy a 320Gb SATA for a clean install of Gutsy

But the Installer did something wrong, it installs the MBR in the first IDE disk, not in the first SATA disk, so when i restarted my PC i get the old GRUB menu.

I had to change my boot sequence and put the old'ye IDE disk as the first disk, so i the MBR load the new GRUB and i can start my system. And i don't know how to reinstall the MBR thing (and i didn't search a lot, of course, my first solution worked fine, but it's not a nice one)

So, thats the only "big" problem, and i think a newbie can't with this kind of issues, the installer didn't understand my config, it's not ready for IDE and SATA disks in a same system.

rob57
October 20th, 2007, 07:20 AM
i myself did a clean installation which went well, till after the install when i was trying to check alsamixer i get an error "alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device" since that no sound. Ive been searching all over to figure out how i can get this solve. please if anyone can help please drop in a good word or more to help. Thank you.:confused:

mr_burns
October 20th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Unfortunately another bad experience to report here...

I was running 7.04 on both an older dell notebook and a PS3. Both upgrades failed through the upgrade tool.

Then I tried a fresh 7.10 install from a CD for the Dell...the install did seem to go through at first, but then the system had a bad freeze/crash and now it won't boot up at all.

I'll try a PS3 install from a CD tomorrow and keep my fingers crossed...

paxmark1
October 20th, 2007, 07:24 AM
Upgraded my Kubuntu I got rid of Automatix about two months ago. I did a dist-upgrade a day early via cli with aptitude. Very, very fast. I was getting 400 kbps at times. Very smooth. I had gotten rid of portions of the kubuntu-desktop metapackage and had some trepidation over that. No problems.

Tracked down a few orphans with deborphan. No problems when removing.

And then I just have updated and upgraded a few times. Things still are trickling in, but very stable. The wifi open source drivers for RT73 still not supported to best of my knowledge. I am still using SerialMonkey rt73 modules for Hawking USB wifi. What impressed me most is that I enjoy xubuntu more now.
I have now changed /etc/apt/source.list to Canadian mirrors. Script for iwconfig had to be changed, can't say "frequency" anymore, only "freq" All other scripts still work.

Only snafu is for System Settings. It say I probably have orphans and I cannot adjust or get info via System settings. However it had messed up /etc/fstab in past with 7.04 - so I adjusted settings for new LCD monitor via command line. But I do not have the kubuntu metapackage installed. That might solve it, but I can live without it.

Oh, and rtorrented down 7.10 and still seeding. Did not hiccup at all during whole upgrade.
peace Mark

darjeeling
October 20th, 2007, 07:26 AM

Same here with the 791.

darjeeling
October 20th, 2007, 07:28 AM
I have a uncommon configuration of hard disks.
One old 80Gb IDE for storage
One 160Gb SATA with Windows XP and Feisty
And today i buy a 320Gb SATA for a clean install of Gutsy

But the Installer did something wrong, it installs the MBR in the first IDE disk, not in the first SATA disk, so when i restarted my PC i get the old GRUB menu.

I had to change my boot sequence and put the old'ye IDE disk as the first disk, so i the MBR load the new GRUB and i can start my system. And i don't know how to reinstall the MBR thing (and i didn't search a lot, of course, my first solution worked fine, but it's not a nice one)

So, thats the only "big" problem, and i think a newbie can't with this kind of issues, the installer didn't understand my config, it's not ready for IDE and SATA disks in a same system.

This is exactly what happened to mine, even though in the "Advanced" tab, there is a place to change the grub disk number, it's REALLY unintuitive. Perhaps being able to select from a drop-down list would have been nice.

undertakingyou
October 20th, 2007, 07:32 AM
I have used ubuntu since Dapper, and I have done both upgrades and fresh installs with every release since then. Gutsy has been probably the smoothest install that I have had. I am very excited to see this distro come so far and I would be comfortable with my mother using and installing it. Great job to Canonical!

black_knight
October 20th, 2007, 07:58 AM
I went with a fresh install with the dvd image, dual booting with Windows XP on my Dell XPS M1710.
Works excellently, no problems so far.

mybunche
October 20th, 2007, 08:13 AM
What could be causing problems for some and not others?
When I installed 6.10 a year ago there were some comments saying how buggy and unstable it was. I have never had a problem and it has been 100% stable.
Could it be a combination of:
hardware
current software installed
downloading errors even though MD5 matches (possible?)
disc burning errors even though verified (possible?)
disc reading errors, disc quality, optical drive etc

eg I have tried burning disc at auto speed and the boot up failed. I then tried burning disc from the same image at the lowest speed and it was fine. I wonder how many people are burning at the lowest speed.

Temposs
October 20th, 2007, 08:14 AM
My install overall went well. I upgraded from Feisty on the day of release. The servers were a bit slow until I chose the Software Sources "Select Best Server" function.

I had a couple issues with display/graphics. The Ubuntu people saw fit to not allow me to turn on compiz-fusion because I have an nVidia card with less than 64MB of RAM. So I promptly went into the compiz script and commented out that part of the code. Compiz-fusion works quite nicely now, and the advanced settings manager is quite easy to use.

I found that the Gutsy install did not delete the old Desktop Effects menu icon from Feisty nor one other option that no longer exists(can't remember), so I had to delete those manually.

Then I had an issue with resolution where the non- compiz-fusion reolution was at 640x400 or something, and I was getting some weird crap. So my login screen showed up in 640x400 as well as some interfaces being limited to half the screen, as well as the screen being halved when I tried to switch back to Metacity. Someone having similar issues used "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" to reset the resolution settings and this effectively fixed the problem.

My vote in the poll was "Upgrade successful with a few problems"

opt-dwn-semi
October 20th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Well so far two things have happened to me.
First. I am sure that 7.04 was up to date with all the updates, then I started the upgrade process. Towards the end I do not remember, it would not finish the upgrade. Anyway I choose to download the iso onto a disk; after doing so and booting from the disk, I ran check disk for defects. It showed that I had one error and that is where I stopped.
I posted a question about that but so far no one has replied abck to me about it. I've downloaded from two different places and still with one error. I hope that someone from Ubuntu reads about this and passes it on to right people.
Thanks again

TempsPerdu
October 20th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Me again!!

I had a third attempt at upgrading last night, this time a little more successful, although I did get lots of warning messages etc.

Over night I downloaded a CD ISO image and did a fresh install from that.

One funny I need to sort out is I can't change the screen res down to 1024x768 (using an old CRT monitor) the system keeps staying in 1280x1024.... which is readable but the refresh rate is a lowly 60Hz...

Steve

Ant_Merlin
October 20th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Hello, I upgraded from Feisty 7.04, from the update manager. everything installed ok but when i rebooted (3 1/2 hours later) the graphics were distorted. It also advised not to boot to XGL session as there was no need. So I booted into normal gnome session and couldnt get a backgound (black) was very very slow and couldnt launch and programs.

rebooted a few times and eventually got a desktop (still very slow). Thought, well probably Graphics driver (I have ATI X1650). loaded envy and removed driver. Tried to install new driver, envy wouldnt do it, just kept saying error. Damn... tried installing from command line but it wouldnt do the last bit (sudo aticonfig --overlay-type =xv).

I then give up and tried the following evening.
Found Screens and Graphics in the system admin menu, spend 2 hours getting this to work. So at moment everything seems ok except for a slow boot, but not tried running any programs yet.

I am thinking about doing a fresh install, may download the iso when i get chance and yes i know this is a bit windows mind set but i am an IT administrator and try everything multiple times to find the best way.

Anyway not sure if that helps anyone, Gutsy looks good but for some reason I cant get a cube (only 2 desktops) and may wait till i do fresh install before looking at that.

linux23dragon
October 20th, 2007, 10:05 AM
I installed Ubuntu-7.10 64bit

The overall design is good but the system is still a beta quality. I cant upgrade the Nvidia drivers. And the Nvidia drivers are now part of the kernel installation. I don't think that is a good idea, because my system is locking up due to the prepackaged drivers.

I also find that the internet connection is very slow with Mozilla Firefox. And for some reason, the Alsa drivers (Intel HDA drivers) are broken. Why can't we just install new Alsa drivers, like we used to with Ubuntu-7.04?

Overall, I like the system design, but it is not stable by any means.

Please fix the kernel and Mozilla Firefox, and stop playing around with the X server to the point that it becomes less stable for everyone.

I've designed and built my own systems before, and I have never had such issues with the X server stability. And what is it with the 64bit boot splash issues. It has gotten worse, and I am having troubles fixing it (like everyone ells with the 64bit OS).

At lest some things got fixed like WiFi drivers, and the Xserver has a better VESA driver.

Just my two cents.

I'm now installing Ubuntu-7.04.

Thanks

johann_p
October 20th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Hit a bug during the upgrade process that was not easy to solve (some postinstallation script hanging) and that caused the upgrade process to get interrupted and be in a undefined state.

After some hacking I think I have a consistent Gutsy installation running now, but I must confess I am quite hesitant to do the upgrade on my more important work computer now.

Matakoo
October 20th, 2007, 10:41 AM
i myself did a clean installation which went well, till after the install when i was trying to check alsamixer i get an error "alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device" since that no sound. Ive been searching all over to figure out how i can get this solve. please if anyone can help please drop in a good word or more to help. Thank you.:confused:

That's the exact problem I had too...but thankfully it was solved quite easily. Move .asoundrc and .asoundrc.asoundconf out of your home directory. Just into a subdir such as bak will suffice. Log out, and login again and ALSA should work again.

denham2010
October 20th, 2007, 11:06 AM
I have updated 2 machines today.

The only problems I had with both upgrades were the following:

1. If you have Beryl installed and running, stop it running before upgrading - it gets removed and replaced with compiz-fusion.

2. If you have apt-file installed, remove it before upgrading, it causes the installer to crash right at the end, after hours of downloading, leaving you with a half installed very unstable system....it took me a while to recover from that.

3. If you have any unofficial repositories enabled, disable them as they can cause the installed to crash right at the start.

4. If you have awn on your system, after the upgrade it will fail to load because the library file libwnck is upgraded. It is easily fixed by trying to run awn from a terminal and recording which version of libwnck.so is required, then creating a symlink in the same folder as the updated libwnck.so and just renaming it to the version awn requires.

5. After the upgrades, the only settings I lost were my splash screen (between login and the desktop). I have it restored, but it is applying my splash over the top of the default...still to work that one out. My xorg.conf had to be reconfigured (I have a widescreen running on an intel chipset so I had to reinstall the updated intel-video driver to replace the intel-i810 driver) and my compositor settings had to be redone for compiz-fusion to work.

Glasterfairyan
October 20th, 2007, 11:10 AM
I started upgrade on Thursday - it stalled on installing packages at 50% and wouldn't budge, telling me it would take 10 hours to complete! I could get into my file area or run most of my programs at this point.

I stopped the process - had a few things to fix with adept and started upgrade again.

20 minutes later it was all finished and working well, huge sigh of relief here!!:)

WernerBrandt
October 20th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Fresh install did not work at all.

Hardware:
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 (Bearlake chip) with intell C2D
3Gb Ram
Asus 7300GT
Sata HDD, 2x IDE opticals

Install screen was good, but when advancing I got garbage on my screen (colloured stripes and such)
Tried again with AHCIP option enables in BIOS, but no success.
Think this is obvious, cause I think its due to Graphics card support/driver.
Maybe I 'll try again with 'standard' VGA option in the install menu.

BTW: I checked the CD and memory for defects

I 'll update this post when succesfull.

geeree
October 20th, 2007, 11:45 AM
I upgraded from 7.04 on a Dell Inspiron 640m. It was pretty smooth, apart from these two problems:

When I tried to upgrade on Thursday evening local time, the Medibuntu repository gave a `302 Moved Temporarily' error repeatedly.
After I commented out the Medibuntu repository addresses in my /etc/apt/sources.list, the Update Manager wouldn't show that a new version has come up. When it did (yesterday) the upgrade wouldn't proceed for some reason. It could not download the required files and kept on getting stuck on file number 33!

All problems were resolved a while ago. I like the desktop effects and the crisp text rendering in Gutsy. :) But I'd like if the upgrade procedure is more transparent. We discussed my problems here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=579680
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=579511

Girish.

kelt65
October 20th, 2007, 12:05 PM
I had few problems save for the kernel - 2.6.22 refuses to mount several filesystems at boot time, which were previously mounted by UUID. this worked fine in 2.6.20-16, which I'm using now.

I can mount them manually after booting into single user, but that isn't a solution, and the console is constantly flooded with message about dm-mapper unable to find devices (the messages are gone now or I'd paste it in)

I've never had a problem like this in my life ...

:confused:

UPDATE: purging the 'evms' package solved the problem

RCRedneck
October 20th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Upgrade worked flawlessly. Started it last night before I crashed and burned, finished this morning.

Gimli
October 20th, 2007, 01:22 PM
My upgrade went well, only things that does not work is:

- VMWare server
- Soundcard not detected anymore (intel ICH7 chipset), it used to work in Fiesty

Apart from that Gutsy looks great

dburnett77
October 20th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Upgraded to 7.10 from 7.04. Everything but Visual Effects works (but, I am using onboard Intel 950 graphics). MadWifi via Restricted Drivers, and I haven't tried to sort out if NetworkManager will connect, as I use a hidden ESSID. WiCD works well, though. Seems to be faster overall, but I haven't gotten into loading extra stuff just yet.

Gigabyte GA-945GM-S2 motherboard
Pentium D, 915
2X512MB Kingston DDR2/533 for 1GB RAM
Western Digital SATA 80GB HD
LG Electronics Flatron Widescreen, 19"

I did like the fact I didn't have to upgrade the driver for the graphics, and was able to select 1440X900 resolution without any tweaking.

Sonicgoo
October 20th, 2007, 01:33 PM
I had some trouble upgrading due to dependency problems. However the terminal gave me advice to run dpkg --configure -a, that worked so I was able to boot up and I'm still setting up/fixing up this old box.

I now have full printer support for My Canon MP600 which is cool, that was what I was one thing that I was hoping that the upgrade would handle.

I had a problem with a program called EVMS, it was causing my processor to max out at 100% although the puter still ran fine. So I removed rebooted and now everything seems fine

acadiansteph
October 20th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Fresh install= big problems. With an upgrade, all went fine: Look here. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=583071

habrys
October 20th, 2007, 02:21 PM
I installed gutsy on 2 machines:

1. Dell Inspiron 8600
Nearly everything worked flwlessly out of the box, which was a nice surprise, as the feisty install wasn't so easy.
+ no problems with 1920x1200 resolution, worked at once without tweaking,
+ the restricted driver for the wireless card installed itself without problems (after asking for my consent of course) and connected to an access point secured with WPA - very impressive, no manual tweaking with ndiswrapper, wpa-supplicant, etc.
- suspend doesn't work out of the box, maybe it will after some tweaking, we'll see,
- I see no improvement concerning battery life over fiesty - it's still much shorter than under XP.

2. A desktop PC with AMD64 4200+ in a CrossFire configuration with 2 Radeons 1900 XT
It was a disaster. Desktop install didn't boot, even in safe graphics mode. Alternate install did finish in the text mode, but after reboot X could not start - hung after the "Running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local)" message.
Eventually I managed to start X in some kind of safe mode after some tweaking of xorg.conf and running things like "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg -plow" a few times with various parameters (vesa, ati).
Then after installing the ATI restricted driver X started as expected in 1920x1200 resolution.

wlp1979
October 20th, 2007, 02:23 PM
I had no problems with the upgrade. I upgraded to the RC several days ago and downloaded all the updates during that install. Everything is working fine.

I had hoped that the new tool for setting your screen resolution would help me manage my use of an external monitor at work, but I still have to switch out my xorg.conf files when I switch between my work setup and my home. As this was the case with feisty, I don't count this as an upgrade issue.

torgrot
October 20th, 2007, 02:32 PM
It worked flawlessly. I have an older Dell Dimension 4550 two ide hard drives Windows installed on the second drive and Ubuntu on the first. I used the update manager and waited my 8 hours for the download to complete. Only real complaint was all the dialog boxes during the install waiting for confirmation. I always chose the default and wished there had been a timeout on them so the install would have completed by this morning.

torgrot

Envirotech
October 20th, 2007, 02:35 PM
The upgrade worked but not flawlessly.

The system would not complete apt-get update. I had to changes my sources from us to ca to get it to work.

I was stuck at bulletproof X. I would not set my monitor correctly or install the restricted Nvidia driver properly. I fixed it by

try this:

Modify /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common to skip unnecessary kernel modules.

DISABLED_MODULES="nvidia nvidia_legacy"

After I did that my system allowed me to install the restricted driver and turn on desktop effects.

everything else updated perfectly :)

MarksWeb
October 20th, 2007, 03:09 PM
I've just done an install on a set of disks previously NTFS'd for an XP/Vista dual boot.

The vista side when wrong during an upgrade and now the Vista Loader is sat in the MBR of one of my disks causing some issues with XP.

So I put on Gutsy and after swapping the hdd boot priority found GRUB but now grub does what the live disk did the first time - it tries to load gutsy with quiet and splash but still after setting boot commands to noquiet and nosplash i still get my display turning off after the kernel is loaded :(
Having to run off the gutsy live CD until i can get a definitive answer.

macstevejb
October 20th, 2007, 03:25 PM
I upgraded last week to 7.10 RC1 from 7.04 via update manager and it went without a hitch.

However, I really do like to do a clean install whenever a final version is released which I did yesterday. The install was flawless, I have a fast, stable system up and running and I love the new tweaks that are available.

3D effects are awesome and can be switched on and off at will.

All of my hardware was detected and the restricted driver facility enabled me to install my video driver without any hassle.

Great job guys! :guitar:

oylenshpeegul
October 20th, 2007, 03:25 PM
I just completed the upgrade from 7.04 to 7.10 on a 32-bit AMD machine. Everything worked fine, except when I rebooted, there was no Firefox. The icon at the top was missing (it just had a grey box in its place) and the icon in the Applications menus was missing (it had the default rectangular window icon). Firefox was stil in the menu, but clicking on it did nothing. I used Synaptic to re-install it. After that, both icons appeared, but clicking on it the first time had no result. However, clicking on a second (and subsequent) time started Firefox and now it's fine.

I also had to re-enable my third party repositories, just like it said I would during the upgrade, and in the case of Pretty Emacs (http://peadrop.com/blog/2007/09/17/pretty-emacs-reloaded/), I had to change feisty to gutsy.

But that was it. I was back in business in no time. Great job!

MadEarThInk
October 20th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Well, on my HP laptop everything worked perfectly for the upgrade. It only took about an hour and I only needed a few tweaks to get everything in order.

On my desktop, however, I got this after hours of downloading:

Failed to fetch cdrom:[Ubuntu-Server 7.10 _Gutsy Gibbon_ - Release i386 (20071016)]/pool/main/r/ruby1.8/libruby1.8_1.8.6.36-1ubuntu3_i386.deb MD5Sum mismatch
Failed to fetch cdrom:[Ubuntu-Server 7.10 _Gutsy Gibbon_ - Release i386 (20071016)]/pool/main/l/linux-source-2.6.22/linux-headers-2.6.22-14_2.6.22-14.46_all.deb MD5Sum mismatch

mmmm...As a noob, this is jibberish to me but needless to say. I don't have Gutsy.

cor2y
October 20th, 2007, 03:37 PM
If you find yourself without alsa audio in gutsy after a fresh install or upgrade.
There are two methods one involves moving the files .asound.rc and .asound.conf from out of your /home directory and rebooting to re-enable alsa.
The second method is fire up your terminal

asoundconf list
asoundconf set-default-card <your card here>

use list to see under what name your sound card is listed then select it as the default audio device and finally reboot for the changes to tak effect.

Finally i think the people who are having toruble seem to be the folks who have customized their systems or do lots of compiling.
If your system only installls software from the repos then i guess the upgrade should go smoothly but if you are constantly compiling etc then it probably won't.
At least that is what observed from hoary to dapper my upgrade went smoothly, once i was comfortable with compiling stuff i have done it for every version of ubuntu since then and the upgrades never work properly from dapper to edgy via upgrade never worked correctly for me. Since then i only do fresh installs its a pain to re-add the compilers and dep files all over again but it would be even worse if it was done via upgrade as this experience once more has taught me.

edhalen
October 20th, 2007, 03:47 PM
All I had to do was uncheck the WINE repository as I kept getting the "unable to resolve" error that has been reported. After that the rest worked perfectly.

The only thing I can't figure out is how to make it so my desktop resolution comes up at 1280x1024 automatically and not 1024x768. I have to manually change it after every reboot. Unrelated to the upgrade but figured I'd add it in here in case somebody knows how to fix that.

Thanks

kansas_plainsman
October 20th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Attempted Full Upgrade from 7.04 to 7.10 - as per instructions on web site - took more than 10 hours of downloading (no particular surprise there) but started throwing errors about unable to launch or load stuff but said it would continue. Upon completion, had a trashed system. Had to install from a CD of 7.10 I had earlier burned. I had a current backup so most things will be recovered.

BTW, the "recover broken system" in the 7.10 install image didn't work.

David Jenkins
October 20th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Most of the upgrade worked OK for me, apart from the most significant one - I had a real battle getting the new nvidia driver to work. For a while it would only work using 'nv' as the driver - using 'nvidia' either gave me a 'trembling screen' (nvidia driver not working correctly) or a complete inability to start X.

Finally I installed nvidia's latest driver from their website, which gave me 'NVIDIA X Server Settings' in the 'Applications - System Tools' menu. Using that I was able to set the screen rate to 'Auto', which fixed the trembling. I presume that some part of my system didn't like the default screen rate.

Currently the only thing that isn't working is HPLIP (The HP printer utility) - if I run it from a terminal I get the message "error: CUPSEXT could not be loaded. Please check HPLIP installation." I recall that several CUPS components were removed or replaced during the upgrade.

lehyeong
October 20th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Attempted to upgrade from 7.04 to 7.10 using the update manager. Upon restarting after a straight forward upgrade procedure, I got a grub error 18.

Attempted to install 7.10 from a CD, but installer hangs. Attempted to reinstall 7.04 but installer hangs. I guess I've encountered my first ubuntu crisis but on the bright side it's a chance to get familiar with the support forums.

Kimmik
October 20th, 2007, 04:37 PM
The upgrade went terribly wrong.
I had to reinstall Ubuntu, this was easy and without any problems. Now everything is fine, and it works good (but I think Gutsy takes too much memory).

jon_herr
October 20th, 2007, 04:42 PM
I've upgraded three machines including one laptop to Gutsy - had one minor ndiswrapper / networkmanager issue with one machine that I solved in minutes.

The Compiz integration is awesome - and works with a simple click of a radio button - the Compiz settings manager is an apt-gettable addition which is also a great feature.

Nice things too - having network manager autologon to wireless networks! Very good job, ubuntu team!

I spend less and less time in windows now... thanks to ubuntu.

Jon

NilsHG
October 20th, 2007, 04:44 PM
i wanted to try the upgrade but cancelled as i did not want to download approx. 900 MB just for trying the upgrade.
now i am doing a clean install with resized partitions (winxp is shrunk to 10 gig, rest is for ubuntu now!)
i noticed: i the example files still contain CD cover with ubuntu 7.04 layout! (it acutally says: ubuntu 7.04!!) this is no problem, however i think in order to present itself well to new ubuntu users the distro should not make simple mistakes like that.
more when install is complete and i set up my system the way i like it

*edit1* install complete. grub loads fine. booting gutsy takes almost 3 minutes, no bootsplash is shown. i am starting being dissapointed. */edit1*
*edit2* fixed the boot time problem and splash screen. when i chose to restart the system shut down and after displaying "restarting now" it hung. I got used to modify and set up ubuntu to my needs, but this much hassel with a clean system is kicking my spirits */edit2*

chanders
October 20th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Fresh Install

1. X corrupted / skewed if I left my second monitor plugged in.

Solution: Unplug second monitor to install

2. When install was finished, could not use restricted drivers because repository was not nabled (no internet while installing)

Solution: Manually enable repositories.

3.When second monitor was installed, I could not get the proper resolution for my primary monitor.

Solution: Manually edit xorg.conf

4. Desktop effects could not run with this multi-monitor setup.

Solution: Scrap the whole Ubuntu multimonitor config and use nvidia-settings

Hope this helps someone.

hlmuller
October 20th, 2007, 04:51 PM
I upgraded an Inspiron 600m laptop from Feisty to Gutsy using the approved method. There were no detected problems.

I installed Gutsy i386 and amd64 on an Inspiron 1420. The i386 install executed without significant issue. The video had to be configured in the amd64 install, and then executed without significant issue.

See my full report here (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/DellInspiron1420)

teejay17
October 20th, 2007, 04:58 PM
I've had the worst experience yet, installing Gutsy Gibbon (both upgrade and fresh install). I had to reinstall 7.04.
With Gutsy, once I rebooted after installation, I lost my screen display...everything, nada, just a blank screen.
I've never encountered this problem with any of the previous versions.
I did an upgrade, and 6 fresh installations using different isos for Xubuntu, Kubuntu, and Ubuntu, and nothing works.

samuelrash
October 20th, 2007, 05:14 PM
:confused:That is what happened to me today. Left with a blank screen with only my mouse cursor flashing. Tried going from 7.04 to 7.10. Recovery mode ends up with root@samuel-desktop:~#. Can anyone help a newbie out? Thanks

GeDaMo
October 20th, 2007, 05:17 PM
I upgraded from 7.04 to 7.10 using the alternate CD - no problems.

omni_vorous
October 20th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Hi! The upgrade took about 10 hours, but went through smoothly. The install process also was flawless. But after rebooting, I find that I can't connect to the Internet using Firefox. Surprising, Konqueror works fine for internet browsing! (I assume it means there's nothing wrong with my network settings).

The Adept Installer (Add Remove) program works, but Adept Manager (Package Manager) doesn't work - it just doesn't connect and download 'headers'. It just says, 'Waiting for Headers'... Twice, the program crashed, and I had to 'Terminate' when the dialog box came up. If anyone can help, I'd be grateful.
Rajan

omni_vorous
October 20th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Hi!

The upgrade took about 10 hours, but went through smoothly. The install process also was flawless. But after rebooting, I find that I can't connect to the Internet using Firefox. Surprising, Konqueror works fine for internet browsing! (I assume it means there's nothing wrong with my network settings).

The Adept Installer (Add Remove) program works, but Adept Manager (Package Manager) doesn't work - it just doesn't connect and download 'headers'. It just says, 'Waiting for Headers'... Twice, the program crashed, and I had to 'Terminate' when the dialog box came up. If anyone can help, I'd be grateful.
Rajan

HaXiT
October 20th, 2007, 05:27 PM
It seems that I have to install Gutsy instead of upgrading from 7.04. It seems that my computer is not getting two of the packages it is suppose to and giving me an error that I have a network problem. But no biggie, I don't have anything too important on my drive :)

crisnoh
October 20th, 2007, 05:30 PM
After a couple false starts I upgraded my laptop to 7.10 using update-manager. It seems to be running better than it was under 7.04.

Mr_Mischif
October 20th, 2007, 05:31 PM
I'm actually having problems with a fresh install of Gutsy (a la this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=581295) post), and I think I might reinstall feisty and upgrade that way; at least I might keep my shutdown button.

smithman89
October 20th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Hi everyone. I know alot of people have been having problems with like graphics and stuff, but i have to say, i just did a upgrade last night, and i have had no problems (aside from the fact that i dont like pidgin :P). This is the first upgrade i have done for a new version, when i had dapper i could not upgrade to edgy cause of errors. My upgrade took about 13 hours, not because it was slow, but because i went to bed while it was downloading. Luckily it didnt all install overnight (it hanged on a question that you have to click on, until you clicked it). I am very happy that the upgrade worked, i tried the live cd, and when i used that, i would keep getting graphics problems and it couldnt find my fiesty filesystem files. So, my opinion is that if you can, do the upgrade.

D10
October 20th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Well I have performed one upgrade on a machine at work and worked pretty well. The only problem I have on that machine is that desktop effects won't turn on, but other than that works good.

Did a fresh install on my main machine at work, and everything went great.

Just tried a fresh install on my laptop, and not so much.. I get the black screen at boot, the extremely long boot, and then anywhere from 5-30 of use it just locks up. I really like a lot of the new features in 7.10 xubuntu, but looks like I will go back to feisty for a little while longer.

nicenick
October 20th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Upgraded to 7.10 today, 20oct07. Upgrade worked OK, however, I hoped I could use my:
Gigabyte GV-AG32S ATI Rage 128 pro graphic card and my
ACER AL2002W 20" Wide Screen LCD monitor.
Alas, not to be.

I eventually removed the Graphic Card and reverted back to my built in SIS 965L video chip set.

After much playing with settings and trying, the best I can do is run in 800X600 resolution.

Autodetect can not find either my monitor, my ATI Rage 128 graphics card or my on-board SIS chip set. Any other manual setting I select fail test and make a jumble out of my screen.

I will just use in 800X600 mode for a while and see if a 'fix' can be found.

Nice Nick

texmorgan
October 20th, 2007, 06:04 PM
I upgraded and every thing looked fine until I went into the Add/Remove... If I try to click on the Flash plug-in for Firefox it just highlights the row but won't actually put a check mark in the box for installation. Has anyone else had this problem? I'll likely just make a symbolic link again for this to work but I would like feed back on this issue.

Griffiss
October 20th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Upgraded today in about 2 hours start to finish after sorting out my repos. Everything works very well - even wireless! so no fannying about with iwconfig and ndiswrapper for hours as in the past

No dounbt i will be spending a few hours mesmerised by my rotating cube :)

omni_vorous
October 20th, 2007, 06:23 PM
upgrade went really slowly, probably because everyone else in the world was also upgrading from feisty.

The upgrade removed beryl from my computer which is unfortunate because I'm already missing some of the cooler effects that aren't included with fusion like the magic lamp and fast window select. But at least it's more stable.

Firefox got seriously messed up which might be because it was open during the upgrade. Basically it froze every couple of seconds while browsing just about any site, with the exception of this one. The fix was to rebuild my mozilla profile by renaming .mozilla in my home directory.

Hi

I'm new to Linux, and have just upgraded to 7.1. I'm facing the same problem. Please tell me how you fixed the problem, in a little more detail. I mean about Firefox.
Thanks in advance
Rajan

DonThompson
October 20th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Upgrade was very difficult. Kept crashing after 6 hours or so with error code 2 and blaming the network. Tested internet speeds at 3,600+ kb/sec down and 600+ up before and after each failure - wasn't a problem at my end.

Downloaded the CD's (32 & 64 bit - both wanted to install, neither offered to do an upgrade. Eventually upgrade manager accepted that stuff was on the disk. Took about 36 hours for the machine to finish, not sure if it is a whole upgrade, but Update Manager seems happy.

Both CD's offer better resolution when booted than I get from the system as upgraded on disk. Wifi still an issue.

All things considered, since it's a home system, and I did absolutely NO prep work, I can't complain. On the 'pro' side of my life I have paid big bucks for the same amount of trouble without being able to complain on-line at the end of it all or use the systems without re-installs from scratch.

mhenry35
October 20th, 2007, 06:26 PM
I had my system to a fairly workable level, though I was having the network disconnect issue that nobody seems to know about.

I managed to get all the Intel widescreen issues resolved using the old i810 driver and 915resolution, though I noticed glitches at shutdown, and the brightness would go nuclear after playing anything using gxine.

So, I had been watching the forums for gutsy horror stories and it seemed pretty calm, so last night I upgraded. My video is back to 1024x768, after the initial upgrade my network was okay, but after downloading the updates, it will no longer connect, and all the options to repair it seem to involve being on the internet (which I can no longer do since the thing won't connect.)

I see from the various polls available here that very few people had a great experience, the vast majority are reporting some variety of problems, and a good margin of those are reporting major problems that remain unsolved.

diskotek
October 20th, 2007, 06:34 PM
well, first i tried to upgrade. it dramatically failed after booting. than i tried to install it from cd. i did md5sum and cd-check. than it failed during the core-system instalation.

now i'm writing this message through 7.04 live cd.
my system:
amd64 1.7
1 GB Ram
ati radeon x200 (256 mb shared) ==== i think this is a problem for me
:(

linfidel
October 20th, 2007, 06:48 PM
I upgraded a current system via the alternate CD, and allowed it to get what it needed off the internet. I let it replace whatever configuration files it asked about. When it finished, everything was fine, and it said it needed to install the special Nvidia driver. I went along, and when I restarted, it informed me it was running in low res mode. I tried the configuration, picking both nvidia and nv drivers, but neither worked. It always booted into low-res mode. I tried disabling the unsupported driver a few times, rebooting, reconfiguring, etc. Nothing worked right.

I have not yet done anything further than what is presented to me as a naive user.

PreviousN
October 20th, 2007, 06:53 PM
I'm pretty frustrated with the upgrade experience. I've got 3 ubuntu computers. Out of all three, only one worked flawlessly.

- Computer 1
On one, my computer fell asleep and was unable to wake. This has NEVER happened before. I know it was a flubbed upgrade but now upgrade manager says that everything works perfectly...Except it doesn't.
== what worked before upgrade ==
* Wireless card using NDISWrapper
* Sound
* Desktop effects (compiz fusion) with ati's driver.

== Now ==
* no wireless
* no sound
* screen corruption.

- Computer 2
My server. Kernel panicked the first time it restarted. Had to choose old kernel from grub and reconfigure ALL packages.

- Computer 3 -
The only computer that worked FLAWLESSLY. I'm really happy with that. Too bad its the computer I use the least.

bpont
October 20th, 2007, 07:03 PM
i upgraded to gutsy last night...all packages were fetched and upgrade proceeded...i fell asleep...in the morning i checked progress, but xscreensaver password lock was on...password wouldn't work anymore (no, the caps lock wasn't on). i assumed upgrade was finished, so i dropped to console and 'sudo reboot'...first boot got fsck errors, but could get to login screen, but got other errors. rebooted again and no fsck errors. tried apt-get irssi to come to ubuntu irc for help, but was prompted to 'dpkg -a' first, which started the installation of packages that didn't get installed prior to my xscreensaver lock reboot. when that was finished, got a couple more errors, then logged into my user account. notification daemon said i had 504 updates available, so i updated and rebooted again. i know i don't have a clean upgrade, so i went to ubuntu irc for help. someone suggested 'sudo apt-get -f install && apt-get autoremove', but i got the following errors:

$ sudo apt-get -f install && apt-get autoremove
[sudo] password for [user]:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
imlib11 libportaudio2 libwxgtk2.4-1 libswfdec0.3 libflac++5c2 liboggflac3
armagetron-common guile-g-wrap libpostproc0d libavformat0d libsnack2 libffi4
tile python-qt3 tcllib libaudacious4 python-sip4 libdb3 guile-library
libffi4-dev libgoffice-0-3 libgwrap-runtime0-dev libcrypto++5.2c2a
liblzo-dev tcl8.5 g-wrap imlib-base tk8.5 libavcodec0d libquicktime0
libgwrap-runtime0
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
4 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Setting up acpid (1.0.4-5ubuntu8) ...
* Loading ACPI modules... [ OK ]
* Starting ACPI services... invoke-rc.d: initscript acpid, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing acpid (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of acpi-support:
acpi-support depends on acpid (>= 1.0.4-1ubuntu4); however:
Package acpid is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing acpi-support (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of powermanagement-interface:
powermanagement-interface depends on acpi-support (>= 0.17); however:
Package acpi-support is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing powermanagement-interface (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of ubuntu-desktop:
ubuntu-desktop depends on acpi-support; however:
Package acpi-support is not configured yet.
ubuntu-desktop depends on acpid; however:
Package acpid is not configured yet.
ubuntu-desktop depends on powermanagement-interface; however:
Package powermanagement-interface is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing ubuntu-desktop (--configure):
Errors were encountered while processing:
acpid
acpi-support
powermanagement-interface
ubuntu-desktop
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

there is something seriously wrong with the ACPI modules and services, even at boot up, so i am not sure if my situation is salvageable or if i need a clean install at this point (which i really don't want to do).

bottom line: if you have xscreensaver password lock on during upgrade, you will get borked in the butt, big time!

any advice on my situation is appreciated.

braindead_in
October 20th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Faced a couple of issues after the upgrade.

EVMS package issue (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.22/+bug/115616)
Jerky Scrolling (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=580721&highlight=jerky+scrolling).
Slow Browsing (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=581055&highlight=gutsy+slow+internet&page=4).Seems that there's no definite solution to it. For me the DNS hack worked.

Posted about it on my blog (http://witopia.blogspot.com/2007/10/gutsy-upgrade-problems.html).

jerrylamos
October 20th, 2007, 07:27 PM
IBM NetVista 2 gHz P4 - triple boot, with Gutsy Ubuntu 7.10 just installed, Gutsy Xubuntu Tribe 5, Gutsy Kubuntu 7.10 just installed. I do edit, format of a partition for a new install in case it bombs, having previously copied /home/jerry to one of the other partitions.

Ran into the infamous 82% freeze on install because the Ubuntu sites were too busy. Luckily the forums were not too busy so I saw the suggestion to disable the wired connection at the 82% point. That worked, thanks to the forums.

UUID's changing with each install is a royal pain since the three /boot/grub/menu.lst have to be MANUALLY edited so the UUID's match. Much room for inadvertent errors since the UUID's don't make sense like /dev/sda1, /dev/sda3, /dev/sda5 do.

Shared folders can result in an endless loop of wanting to install samba, Look at synaptic, samba IS installed, what the shared folders message didn't say was that more repositories than those on the install needed to be activated because 1 file not named needed to be loaded(!).

Celeron 1.2 gHz quad boot - *******, Edgy, Feisty, Ubuntu.
1. Release code always comes up with the wired connection disabled, since Network Manager "decides" the Realtek card can't carrier detect and can't work. I have to manually connect every time. That's a long standing Launchpad Bug with no action.
NOTE: Tribe 5 comes right up, no manual intervention required, so Ubuntu can do it right, but chooses not to.

2. Kubuntu CD Live Konqueror cannot access the internet at all because Network Manager "decides" the Realtek card won't work. BIG PROBLEM: no way on Kubuntu 7.10 Network Manger icon to activate the connection, therefore Konqueror can't access internet. Using "The Official Ubuntu Book" directions to do sudo dhclient does activate the connection, as verified in Settings, Network but Network Manager still is convinced there is no connection and Konqueror can't access network. Solution: Synaptic can access the network just fine (even though Network Manager says there is no connection) so download Firefox which gleefully ignores Network Manager and accesses the network just fine. There's a long standing launchpad bug on this with no solution from Network Manager.

3. Shutdown hangs on this computer. Hardware reset and power off required. There's a fix in my post Workarounds on the Installation forum which works for Feisty and Gutsy Beta; I'm not sure if it works on 7.10 until I try it after this post.

4. Xubuntu 7.10 Network Manager icon permits activating the connection it disabled during boot. After selecting icon, select wired connection, wait, it works and so does Firefox. Didn't have to do this previously since Network "Mangler" is a new "feeture" for Xubuntu in 7.10.

I've run Dapper, Edgy, Feisty, and now Gutsy on the same hardware and if anything the bootup (except for Network Manager) and performance seems a bit crisper. On the same hardware, how does Vista compare to XP?

It was fun trying Gutsy through the tribes with various successes and failures. Jerry

ORF1000
October 20th, 2007, 07:34 PM
I upgraded two machines right after the stable came out the other day. In both cases, I started the upgrade using update manager in the evening, then went to bed. (One night after the other.)

In both cases I first uninstalled everything I had installed previously with Automatix. Then I uninstalled Automatix. After the upgrade I didn't think I needed to go back to Automatix.

I first upgraded my Gateway MA-7 laptop (intel dual core, 32-bit) on line. Not only did it go well, but two problems were solved.

First, I'd hosed my sound card settings and had no sound. Now I do. (This the famous intel-hda card, and I have never been able to record in Linux. Tried everything. My troubleshooting efforts were finally rewarded with no sound at all.)

Then, I'd tried Beryl under Feisty, and it hosed up my window manager. But now all is well in that department.

Wireless works fine. I was holding my breath on that one. I have a built-in atheros interface -- Feisty and now Gutsy gave me a native Ubuntu module.

Only thing is that x-screensaver isn't initiating correctly. I need to investigate that one.

My desktop box is an AMD 64. In that case, I now have Adobe flash player working, which is not normally supported for this architecture. Now maybe this was available under Feisty, but after the upgrade I found a wrapper that installed a flash plugin in my Firefox. Now I can watch YouTube -- etc.

If anyone has the magic bullet to get that hda-intel (STAC-92xxx) sound card to record, I'd love to know what it is!

PartisanEntity
October 20th, 2007, 07:37 PM
I have not been able to upgrade yet due to the following issue:

Upgrading from Web:

The update manager will get to the point where it informs me that a partial upgrade can be carried out, if I go ahead with that then the little 'Distribution Upgrade' window will display a full progress bar with the words 'reading cache' under it and remain like this. I let it run over night and nothing changed.

Upgrading from the alternate CD:

Same as above however it will display this behaviour with the 'checking package manager' message under the progress bar.

Has anyone come across such behaviour? Any pointers? I would like to avoid reinstalling if possible as I prefer upgrading.

Thanks!

I am attaching two screenshots, one displays the point where the upgrade process seems to stop or freeze and the other screenshot shows what happens if I view another workspace and come back.

dsiddens
October 20th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Rating my upgrade process to this point : zero, 0. Letter grade: F
I am using my wife's computer to reach out to the Ubuntu community for help in getting back to a working state. I am a newbie who, if he goes to the command line, must follow entry instructions verbatum.

Thank you, Doug

The following is a cut and paste post from my original entry on this topic

I used the update notification on my Feisty laptop to begin the Gutsy upgrade. After the files were obtained it began replacing to the Gutsy versions. As the files were being written, I noticed quite a few depencencies errors with their messages that a given file (program) would not be installed or might not work properly. This message suggested that I file a bug report. A bit further on into this upgrade process I noticed that there were messages giving me the option to "compare the differences" between the file I had and the new file. So on one of these messages, I don't know which one, I selected "D" and was given a command line screen that described stuff I did not know about and then sat there saying "end".

I figured that hitting enter would return me to the install process. Not so. The machine was sitting at the command prompt waiting for, I don't know what. Eventually I thought if I did a power down/up that the install process would pick up from where it left off. Again, not so. I tried booting from the regular kernal choice and from the recovery mode, neither of which yeilded a working computer.

From the screens that stopped on the boot attempts I wrote down the last screen of each attempt. The significant lines are:

For the kernel 2.6.22-14 (recovery mode)
[10.960197]/build/buildd/linux-source-2.6.22-2.6.22/drivers/ftc/hc.tosys.c: unable to open rtc device(rtc0)
[10.973499] input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard as /class/input/input1
[11.063970] VFS: Cannot open root device "UUID =adc16267-58e2-4882-9850-9da2e35d482" or unknown-block (0,0)
[11.064022] Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available partitions:
[11.064075] Kernel panic - not sysncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (0,0)

For the kernel 2.6.22.14-generic
[16.798468] PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 7 of bridge 0000:00:04.0
[17.014051] Kernal panic-not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (0,0)

at the bottom of the screen:
Kernel alive
kernel direct mapping tables up to 100000000@8000-d000

I had other boot choices which I went through and tried them all with the result that I was brought to a light blue screen with a cursor that I could move around but no text or sign-in boxes.

The machine in question is a laptop AMD64. It was running fine with the Feisty software.
I'm on our secod laptop hoping that some one can give me a newbie's, detailed instruction to get Gutsy up and running.

antiserious
October 20th, 2007, 07:45 PM
I had originally planned to hold off for a few days, but I had some time this morning while I was busy doing some chores, so I decided to take a swing at updating my UbuntuStudio 7.04, using the update manager. Took an hour 45 minutes in total, and some confirm boxes had to wait a bit since I was wandering around, so it might have been a bit faster.

But it couldn't have been any easier.

Most things seem to work just fine, and all the settings I've checked seem to be retained. I haven't tried all my apps, obviously, and I'm sure there will be a few tweaks needed here and there, but so far I'm quite impressed with the whole process. I changed some repos to gutsy and grabbed an additional few updates, and later I'll try and hunt down a few more repos.

All in all, a damn fine job. Kudos to the Canonical crew and anyone that worked on this.

AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1Gb Ram, Dual boot w/XP, 2 H/D's.

dbarron
October 20th, 2007, 08:15 PM
When I attempted an ungrade from Fawn to Feisty (bear in mind this is the 3rd distro upgrade w/o reformatting), it was ugly and all kinds of things were wrong (/home wouldn't mount, nvidia restricted wouldn't "stick", various other niggly things). I decided to reformat the OS disk and maintain my home directory partition today, and everything seems just fine. I'm very pleased with the fresh install.

alzie
October 20th, 2007, 08:39 PM
The Upgrade seemed to go fine but now when I boot up I get an :internal error" that "HAL" failed to initialize. I don;t know what HAL is.

Also I have to go into Network Settings to connect to the internet.

Other than that everything seems to have come through fine.

American_Outcast
October 20th, 2007, 08:48 PM
The Upgrade seemed to go fine but now when I boot up I get an :internal error" that "HAL" failed to initialize. I don;t know what HAL is.

Also I have to go into Network Settings to connect to the internet.

Other than that everything seems to have come through fine.

I was getting that to. For me it had to do with my printer. For some reason I need to have my printer (A USB Lexmark X75 All In One,) on when I boot up Ubuntu. I guess it is looking for a printer and when it can't find one that error comes up.

Popple2000
October 20th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Upgraded Ubuntu midnight on the 18th, went flawlessly, took a squeak over an hour to complete.

Only issues im having are with recordmydesktop and WoW within wine ( not Ubuntu's fault )

EDIT: I forgot, the Vol on my KB is controlling my mic now for some reason, searching for a fix :p

Awesome Distro guys, keep up the good work.

Cheers.

Little vid of my desktop, choppy in vid, but its recordmydesktops fault :p

HERE (http://www.pwnd.ca/vids/Ubuntu_7.10.ogg)

mlind
October 20th, 2007, 09:21 PM
All Gutsy users (especially upgraders from earlier distro) should read the Gutsy release notes for issues that may require attention:
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/710

dragondrop
October 20th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Upgraded from Feisty, (upgrade went flawlessy) and thought the graphics card problem in earlier versions to be a thing of the past, but no. It couldn't detect my NVIDIA 8600 GT. The upgrade rewrote my carefully tailored xorg.conf and now it gives me a error message. Do I have to go through the same hassle as in Feisty and remove all graphics drivers from Synaptic and rewrite xorg manually ? Other than that I think Ubuntu's the best linux distribution :) ! (spoken from a Windows veteran)

gridsleep
October 20th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Installing 7.10 on third SATA drive in a 64-bit dual core system. The GRUB seems to be screwing up. On the drive is a 450GB NTFS partition. I am putting the Ubuntu root and swap partitions in the remaining 50GB. If I tell the installer not to install the boot loader, the installation proceeds, but then I cannot boot into Ubuntu even if I pick the third drive from the boot list (F8 on my ASUS mobo.) If allow the boot loader to install, then the installation fails with a read/write error. I do not want GRUB on my Windows XP64 drive, but on the third drive. I have tried directing GRUB to install on hd2, sdc, /dev/sdc, /scsi2, and have even allowed it to install on the default hd0, which made me nervous. In each instance, the installation fails with a read/write error. I have had a previous instance of Ubuntu installed in this space when I was running the first two SATA drives as RAID and that was a nightmare installation, believe me. Ubuntu does not like other operating systems in a RAID when it tries to install the boot loader to only one of the RAID disks. I had to unplug both RAID disks and just have the third SATA running during the installation. I would hate to have to go through that mess as I have to move my heavy server case to open it and unplug SATA 0 and 1. That kind of hardware hacking should not be necessary with a sophisticated operating system. What is the trick to getting Ubuntu to install with Grub on a third SATA drive?

harshad
October 20th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Hi,

My upgrade to Gutsy from Feisty AMD64 was progressing well. After many hours of downloads and installation work however the process has hung up, the message showing for over an hour is

Configuring xvnc4viewer
About 27 minutes remaining
Image attached.

After a long wait, I did restart as I did not see any other solution.
Ubuntu did restart but it only got to a blank yellow screen with a mouse pointer over it.
Can't do anything here.

Any suggestions?

Please help.

thanks,
harshad

xyzt
October 20th, 2007, 09:38 PM
As I posted elsewhere, I did a 7.10 clean CD install over 7.04. Console ping and ftp worked ok but Firefox and Evolution didn't connect to the servers (two installs). Reverted to 7.04 FF.

dipodo
October 20th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Installation was 100% ok and fast... (AMD 64bit). But then, when I'm using my PC for sometime it totally freezes! With no reason. Tried and re-installed it but the outcome always is the same.... Any ideas? Can it be the NVIDIA driver that freezes my machine?? Im a bit disappointed.. I had Edgy for a long time in the same machine, with no problems at all and I was waiting for Gutsy with high expectations...... :(