PDA

View Full Version : Is the windows kernel better then windows?

blithen
October 19th, 2007, 05:46 AM
Please no bashing. Also whether it be yes or no, please explain why.
Me, I'm voting for no. It has to reboot every time you install something that shouldn't need a reboot, and the filing system it runs on is just ridiculous. defragmentations are lame.

blithen
October 19th, 2007, 05:48 AM
Well
We learned something today.
Never post when your eyes are half open, and I'm a moron.

The thread title is suppose to be

Is the windows kernel better then Linux's

-grubby
October 19th, 2007, 05:51 AM
that didn't make sense "is the windows kernel better than windows" WTF? Than I read your second post and it was all better. I think Linux's kernel is better by the way, I reboot only on kernel updates (I heard there's even a program that can make that not happen)

jrusso2
October 19th, 2007, 05:54 AM
Windows kernel allows to many applications direct access to the kernel which causes problems.

Applications should have a layer to protect them from accessing the kernels space.

This was done to allow things like direct x to work. But it can also cause an application to crash the whole operating system.

blithen
October 19th, 2007, 05:55 AM
Windows kernel allows to many applications direct access to the kernel which causes problems.

Applications should have a layer to protect them from accessing the kernels space.

This was done to allow things like direct x to work. But it can also cause an application to crash the whole operating system.

Wow, this was a very good post. I didn't know this. Thanks for the info!!

FuturePilot
October 19th, 2007, 06:30 AM
I don't really think the kernel is responsible for having to reboot after installing something. That would have to do with that terrible invention called the Registry.

Billy_McBong
October 19th, 2007, 06:35 AM
i never really thought of windows even having a kernel:-k
but obviously i think Linux's is better

tbroderick
October 19th, 2007, 06:38 AM
I don't care which is 'better'.

Quillz
October 19th, 2007, 06:39 AM
Please no bashing. Also whether it be yes or no, please explain why.
Me, I'm voting for no. It has to reboot every time you install something that shouldn't need a reboot, and the filing system it runs on is just ridiculous. defragmentations are lame.
Defragmentation happens to all file systems, even to Linux's systems like ext3. I really don't know enough about either kernel to really say whether one is better than the other. Obviously, both work and are very credible. Corporations around the world use Linux and Windows servers because they work.

BuffaloX
October 19th, 2007, 07:29 AM
The windows kernel has been much improved with each release.
Microsoft tend to move things into the kernel for speed, or out of the kernel for security. They have swapped things like graphics and audio in and out and called it a HUGE improvement each time.

The kernel for Windows is MUCH better than the entire Windows system.
The entire Windows system contain much more Microsoft code, and is thus obviously worse than just the kernel.

hessiess
October 19th, 2007, 08:11 AM
linux is better for the simple fact of, device drivers are not intergrated into the kernal. so if a driver crashes it wont take evrything else with it