PDA

View Full Version : Is This The Right Forum to SCREAM In???

kshane
October 19th, 2007, 03:41 AM
Where in the HECK is my new ATI driver!!!!!

ARGH!!

Was supposed to be out this week!!! With Gutsy!!!!

Am I the only one ready to have a stroke over this one???

Kevin

ADMIN: This is not actually about the driver... It's about stress... :biggrin:

HermanAB
October 19th, 2007, 03:43 AM
Rather phone ATI and yell at *them*.

toupeiro
October 19th, 2007, 03:44 AM
are you referring to the .41 driver? I don't think its even released from ATi yet. I just downloaded .40 last night from their site. If you are talking about the unrestricted driver .. whats wrong with just downloading it from ATi?

I am not sold on the .40 driver, so I am using the unrestricted driver which I believe is .37 or .38

It's done the trick for everything I've thrown at it thus far.

steveneddy
October 19th, 2007, 03:44 AM
Rather phone ATI and yell at *them*.

Hey Herman - you live in Texas? Fort Worth maybe?

Paul820
October 19th, 2007, 03:46 AM
Am I the only one ready to have a stroke over this one???
Looks like it :) As the previous poster said, blame ATI

kshane
October 19th, 2007, 03:49 AM
are you referring to the .41 driver? I don't think its even released from ATi yet. I just downloaded .40 last night from their site. If you are talking about the unrestricted driver .. whats wrong with just downloading it from ATi?

I am not sold on the .40 driver, so I am using the unrestricted driver which I believe is .37 or .38

It's done the trick for everything I've thrown at it thus far.

I have 40. 41 is not for my card (X1650). 42 is supposed to be better for 3d, etc... Compiz runs like crap on this box... 42 is supposed to clear all that up.

Kevin

kshane
October 19th, 2007, 03:52 AM
Looks like it :) As the previous poster said, blame ATI

I am blaming ATI/AMD... It's just that ya can't yell at them. No one to hear! :)

Kevin

Frak
October 19th, 2007, 03:58 AM
I have 40. 41 is not for my card (X1650). 42 is supposed to be better for 3d, etc... Compiz runs like crap on this box... 42 is supposed to clear all that up.

Kevin
Envy Scripts (http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html) for latest drivers

kshane
October 19th, 2007, 04:04 AM
Envy Scripts (http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html) for latest drivers

Got it. It installs 40...

Kevin

Frak
October 19th, 2007, 04:19 AM
How about compiling the drivers yourself?

igknighted
October 19th, 2007, 04:56 AM

No, .40 is the latest driver for his card. .42 is coming out, but please, for the love of god, ATI's release cycle is completely unrelated to Ubuntu. Just because Gutsy came out means nothing about ATI's drivers (which at this point wont make the repo's anyway).

If you read phoronix, there were some unforseen bugs with the drivers and so the release has been pushed back to later in the month. No official release date yet, but I would rather a quality product then a rushed one. According to beta testers, they are looking quite good tho.

Frak
October 19th, 2007, 05:12 AM
No, .40 is the latest driver for his card. .42 is coming out, but please, for the love of god, ATI's release cycle is completely unrelated to Ubuntu. Just because Gutsy came out means nothing about ATI's drivers (which at this point wont make the repo's anyway).

If you read phoronix, there were some unforseen bugs with the drivers and so the release has been pushed back to later in the month. No official release date yet, but I would rather a quality product then a rushed one. According to beta testers, they are looking quite good tho.
Sorry, saved the trouble by buying an Nvidia.

I thought he meant .42 was out already. My mistake.

kshane
October 19th, 2007, 05:19 AM

I don't think it would perform any better. I think the 8.42 driver is what's needed. It hasn't been released yet. 8.41 was released to address the Radeon HDs. I have a Radeon X1650. It's supposed to be able to handle AIGLX and (I heard) it's supposed to be released this week.

Kevin

misfitpierce
October 19th, 2007, 05:20 AM
Guys got wrong idea with this 8.41 crap... 8.42 is what is overdue this month... ATI releases no news either... Very mad. Better come soon.

kshane
October 19th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Guys got wrong idea with this 8.41 crap... 8.42 is what is overdue this month... ATI releases no news either... Very mad. Better come soon.

You and me, too! :frown:

Kevin

Billy_McBong
October 19th, 2007, 06:48 AM
i use NVIDIA so i don't care to much about ATI drivers

LT1Caprice57L
October 19th, 2007, 07:06 AM
I'm just waiting for something to run the IGP 340M but I suspect that chipset is considered yesterday's news and nobody cares about it anymore :(

kshane
October 19th, 2007, 07:31 AM
I'm just waiting for something to run the IGP 340M but I suspect that chipset is considered yesterday's news and nobody cares about it anymore :(

An earlier version may work. Have you tried anything earlier?

Kevin