PDA

View Full Version : third snapshot of Ubuntu Linux 5.10 "Breezy Badger" has been released

newbie2
August 18th, 2005, 10:15 PM
2005-08-18
http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=02840#0

sapo
August 18th, 2005, 11:03 PM
wow.. good news.. who is gonna be the first one to test and post what is and what isnt working?
i m afraid to format my hoary.. everything is running so nice that i m afraid to install the colony release and break everything ](*,)

somuchfortheafter
August 18th, 2005, 11:17 PM
you dont have to format.... you can create one bigass tar file of your install.. dist-upgrade to breezy by replacing your apt souces.lst file. and if all fails you can always use a live cd to over write everything.

sapo
August 18th, 2005, 11:52 PM
you dont have to format.... you can create one bigass tar file of your install.. dist-upgrade to breezy by replacing your apt souces.lst file. and if all fails you can always use a live cd to over write everything.

lol.. i dont have ANY free space on my harddrive.. i prefer to wait till its safe to upgrade :p

Ubunted
August 19th, 2005, 12:16 AM
I'm downloading the liveCD torrent right now but it is quite slow, not many seeders on. I will of course do my best to remedy that.

zixxer
August 19th, 2005, 12:43 AM
has anyone had breezy not apt update properly? i cannot update at all because there is a hanging apt session somewhere and it locked the dirs. anyone have this problem? i have reproduced it on 2 different machines today.

weasel fierce
August 19th, 2005, 12:49 AM
Will you be required for reformat to upgrade, or can you apt-get it ?

allans
August 19th, 2005, 12:54 AM
I apt-getted to breezy today, for the third time and it worked fine. All my other attempts have worked okay, it's just that because I expect the system to fail, I seem to spend more time experimenting with even less stable software than usual, which isn't a great idea to be fair.

Good luck with any breezy upgrades folks!

edit: and yes you can just apt-get it, change your hoary / warty references to breezy, then sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

NoTiG
August 19th, 2005, 01:03 AM
im going to wait till its released and do a clean reainstall :D

TravisNewman
August 19th, 2005, 01:38 AM
I apt-getted to breezy today, for the third time and it worked fine. All my other attempts have worked okay, it's just that because I expect the system to fail, I seem to spend more time experimenting with even less stable software than usual, which isn't a great idea to be fair.

Good luck with any breezy upgrades folks!

edit: and yes you can just apt-get it, change your hoary / warty references to breezy, then sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
the sudo apt-get upgrade is unnecessary if you have a dist-upgrade after it. I've never used upgrade before.

professor_chaos
August 19th, 2005, 04:29 AM
I apt-getted breezy last night on my testing partition of Ubuntu (running two copies). Everything worked...except the Nvidia libraries. I'm still going to wait to upgrade my primary install.

professor_chaos
August 19th, 2005, 04:32 AM
I apt-getted breezy last night on my testing partition of Ubuntu (running two copies). Everything worked...except the Nvidia libraries. I'm still going to wait to upgrade my primary install.

I mean apt-got :)

benplaut
August 19th, 2005, 04:35 AM
I mean apt-got :)

grammer... grammer ;-)

WildTangent
August 19th, 2005, 09:02 AM
grammer... grammer ;-)
spelling... spelling ;)

-Wild

xmastree
August 19th, 2005, 09:11 AM
I'm downloading the liveCD torrent right now but it is quite slow,Where can I find the torrent file? That link only links to the ISO.

heimo
August 19th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Where can I find the torrent file? That link only links to the ISO.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/breezy/colony-3/

xmastree
August 19th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Ok, got it now. drip drip...

Something bothers me though. That page says 'daily build'. Is it really changed every day? Never been into this bleeding edge stuff before... :roll:

heimo
August 19th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Ok, got it now. drip drip...

Something bothers me though. That page says 'daily build'. Is it really changed every day? Never been into this bleeding edge stuff before... :roll:

Oh, that seems to be just a copy-paste mistake.

Daily snapshot is here:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily/current/

allans
August 19th, 2005, 04:06 PM
the sudo apt-get upgrade is unnecessary if you have a dist-upgrade after it. I've never used upgrade before.

Thanks for the tip, I didn't realise that.