PDA

View Full Version : A Site for Enticing New Users

kshane
October 16th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Hi All!

I just set up a new web site to try and entice some new users. Constructive criticism is being sought! :)

http://ubuntuman.110mb.com

So, let me know what ya think. Been coding web sites since '93 and it was all done by hand: no CSS, or anything like that. Used Screem, but nothing fancy. I did get some nice desktop shots from a few folks here. Did some screenshots of a few of the Bundled apps.

This is NOT a business site - strictly looking to bring more "into the fold"!

Thanks!

Kevin

funrider
October 16th, 2007, 10:19 PM
what about integrate it with cms?

kshane
October 16th, 2007, 10:20 PM
what about integrate it with cms?

CMS?

n3tfury
October 16th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Hi All!

I just set up a new web site to try and entice some new users. Constructive criticism is being sought! :)

So, let me know what ya think. Been coding web sites since '93 and it was all done by hand: no CSS, or anything like that. Used Screem, but nothing fancy. I did get some nice desktop shots from a few folks here. Did some screenshots of a few of the Bundled apps.

Thanks!

Kevin

i like it very much, well done. the main reason? because you don't come off as a zealout like a bunch of members are around here.

aysiu
October 16th, 2007, 10:23 PM
I see a lot of Ubuntu pros. How about some Ubuntu cons to balance out the picture? Ubuntu isn't for everyone.

kshane
October 16th, 2007, 10:32 PM
i like it very much, well done. the main reason? because you don't come off as a zealout like a bunch of members are around here.

ROFL! Yeah, I probably don't much... Actually, I'm a Libertarian and I think Ubuntu and the spirit behind it are much the same. All about choice...

And, thenks for the compliment!

Kevin

kshane
October 16th, 2007, 10:37 PM
I see a lot of Ubuntu pros. How about some Ubuntu cons to balance out the picture? Ubuntu isn't for everyone.

Very true, but it's all about choice... I tried (for example) SUSE Linux and after installing and playing with it for a while, I nuked it. Didn't like the license stuff ya have to agree to to even install... (Believe it or not, I try to ALWAYS keep my word, even when it comes to the silly licenses one has to agree to with non-free software).

As far as the cons, I think that's an individual thing. As I've seen here, what pro for some may be a con to me.. Like Kubuntu - I don't care for it at all (no flames, please!).. But, others LOVE it! So, who's to say? And, Ubuntu is free to try! :)

Kevin

troy1of2
October 16th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Nice website! One little thing I wanted to point out though. You say Linus Torvalds is from Poland but I'm pretty sure he's from Finland. Other than that, your site ROCKS!

:guitar:

aysiu
October 16th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Very true, but it's all about choice... I tried (for example) SUSE Linux and after installing and playing with it for a while, I nuked it. Didn't like the license stuff ya have to agree to to even install... (Believe it or not, I try to ALWAYS keep my word, even when it comes to the silly licenses one has to agree to with non-free software).

As far as the cons, I think that's an individual thing. As I've seen here, what pro for some may be a con to me.. Like Kubuntu - I don't care for it at all (no flames, please!).. But, others LOVE it! So, who's to say? And, Ubuntu is free to try! :)

Kevin
What I mean is that the website just pumps up Linux (using Ubuntu as an example) as this great thing. It makes sense to let people know too what difficulties they might encounter or why Windows may be a better choice for them, depending on their software or hardware needs.

kshane
October 16th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Nice website! One little thing I wanted to point out though. You say Linus Torvalds is from Poland but I'm pretty sure he's from Finland. Other than that, your site ROCKS!

:guitar:

<grin> Yeah, that was pointed out to me already and has been corrected... Sorry folks! Guess I need to brush up on my Linux history... :rolleyes:

Thanks for pointing that out and thanks for the compliment!. If ya see anything else that's inaccurate, please let me know!

Kevin

kshane
October 16th, 2007, 11:17 PM
What I mean is that the website just pumps up Linux (using Ubuntu as an example) as this great thing. It makes sense to let people know too what difficulties they might encounter or why Windows may be a better choice for them, depending on their software or hardware needs.

Very true. I just figure it's up to others to tout their own systems. I've mainly been letting my acquaintances know about the site, along with some Libertarians. And since there's no charge to look at Ubuntu; no harm done!

If some one were to contact me because they went to the site and were interested, I would most certainly not steer any one towards Ubuntu (or ANY Linux) if they didn't seem up to the learning curve...

Kevin

kshane
October 16th, 2007, 11:27 PM

Got to thinking. And you're right. So I added a caveat...

Thanks!

Kevin

GSF1200S
October 17th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Hi All!

Thanks!

Kevin

Definitely throw some cons in there, as there is a few. You might want to introduce the specifics of certain applications that stand out, as well as the different options of panel/DE customization.

A very good site though! :)

jrusso2
October 17th, 2007, 12:32 AM
<grin> Yeah, that was pointed out to me already and has been corrected... Sorry folks! Guess I need to brush up on my Linux history... :rolleyes:

Thanks for pointing that out and thanks for the compliment!. If ya see anything else that's inaccurate, please let me know!

Kevin

Linux was never based on Minix. Early kernels used minix to boot. The linux kernel was clean code.

It was inspired by Unix but contained no Unix code.

Frak
October 17th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Add some apt:software tags to your site. One of Gutsy's new features is Apturl, or the ability to click a link to instantly install any peice of software from the repos.

ex. apt:ktorrent

apt:nexuiz
apt:tremulous <--- Greatest game for Linux IMHO

Frak
October 17th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Linux was never based on Minix. Early kernels used minix to boot. The linux kernel was clean code.

It was inspired by Unix but contained no Unix code.
Linux was based on Minix. It depended on its userspace and functions, but this was later eliminated by Minix-Like drop-in replacements licensed under the GPL.

Depressed Man
October 17th, 2007, 12:41 AM
CMS?

Content Management System. It makes maintaining websites easier. At least that's what I'm assuming..

Most professional businesses and organizations have some form of CMS. So the site can be updated without much breakage.

kshane
October 17th, 2007, 05:48 AM
For the UNIX/Minix argument, read this: http://www.bozemanlug.org/talks/linux_history.html (a Brief History of Linux)

Seems very in-depth and never mentions minix... But! I'm all ears!

Kevin

maniac_X
October 17th, 2007, 12:22 PM
I like the website....it's clean and crisp. No heavy graphics, no flash....definately a winner for a nice little site to spread a little Ubuntu.

As for cons, I don't really think you need to have a comparison of pros/cons. The site is meant to give them a little peek and point them in the direction if they are so inclined. They will probably get plenty of cons from thier *******-using-friends before they make thier mind up anyways. The site is not hitting anyone over the head with Ubuntu evangelism so there is no need to do pro/con comparisons.

Oh wait...here's a con......
Back strain.....your wallet will be extra fat and real heavy and give back strain from all the money left inside it since you didn't have to buy all those multi-hundred$$ applications!

Raval
October 17th, 2007, 12:29 PM
CMS?

Content Management System.

To manage many of the repetitive task that come when coding your own website.

I started out just like you but when I found CMSs, building a website entirely by hand no longer made sense.

I've tried many but found Drupal to be the best (for me) check signature to see my site.

rock-hopper
October 17th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Hello everyone. It seems a great idea to spread the word about Ubuntu, but what really fascinates me is this quote:

Totally shifted to ubuntu. Making my girl friend to do the same.

You have a girl friend and you can make her do things!? :lolflag:

Wow! Can you PM me with the details of how?

Best regards

rock-hopper

bromix
October 17th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Great page!!! I only have one concern. I think it's very important that we try to help people understand the meaning of "Free Software". "Free as in speech, not free as in beer" I would rather see someone encouraged to support these projects as they see fit, and not told it's not necessary. Do some reading about Free Software, Open Source Software, the two movements, and what they are about. BTW...this is not an angry post....I think you've done a great job. :) And, by your last posts, I am refreshed by your opinions about choice and not just trying to rid the world of the evil microsoft plague.

Paqman
October 17th, 2007, 12:41 PM
I'm going to ignore your content and just give you my impression of your design.

People don't read websites, they scan them. For that reason I think there's a bit much text on your front page. Also, serif fonts are harder to read on screen than sans-serif. Have you considered using a font specifically designed for screen use like Verdana?

You've "chunked" your copy well though. Blocks of text with headings are good for screen reading. Lists are, too.

Personally i'm a fan of fixed width for text, since lines of 6-10 words are easiest to read (that's why newspapers arrange their text into columns) On most common screen resolutions your text shouldn't be too far off this length, so that's a probably not a biggy.

Your navigation needs to be a little more consistent too. A nav bar down the left side is a good idea, but it should be the same from page to page. That's a standard convention on websites now, and one readers will expect without thinking about it.

It's a good idea to give your images alt text, too. Besides being good for search engines it helps people who use screen readers or text-only browsers.

And speaking of coding, I know you said you don't use CSS, but for a nice simple site like yours it could really clean up your code and make your page loads even faster. For someone who's hand-coding it could also save you a LOT of time.

rock-hopper
October 17th, 2007, 05:18 PM
A very full and interesting site - thanks for the new (to me at any rate) information.

I don't know the first thing about websites but I think you've got a winner here. I know my son-in-law is interested in Ubuntu since I showed it to him on my PC but his big interest is Computer Games and I had to tell him I didn't know if Ubuntu handled them or not. Now I do.

Again, thanks and good luck.

rock-hopper.

ps. If my previous comment was a bit 'flip', please ignore! It was just the idea of making a woman do anything - in 38 years of marriage I've never managed it!

r-h.

kshane
October 17th, 2007, 05:29 PM
I'm going to ignore your content and just give you my impression of your design.

People don't read websites, they scan them. For that reason I think there's a bit much text on your front page. Also, serif fonts are harder to read on screen than sans-serif. Have you considered using a font specifically designed for screen use like Verdana?

You've "chunked" your copy well though. Blocks of text with headings are good for screen reading. Lists are, too.

Personally i'm a fan of fixed width for text, since lines of 6-10 words are easiest to read (that's why newspapers arrange their text into columns) On most common screen resolutions your text shouldn't be too far off this length, so that's a probably not a biggy.

Your navigation needs to be a little more consistent too. A nav bar down the left side is a good idea, but it should be the same from page to page. That's a standard convention on websites now, and one readers will expect without thinking about it.

It's a good idea to give your images alt text, too. Besides being good for search engines it helps people who use screen readers or text-only browsers.

And speaking of coding, I know you said you don't use CSS, but for a nice simple site like yours it could really clean up your code and make your page loads even faster. For someone who's hand-coding it could also save you a LOT of time.

I appreciate the critique... Food for thought. I coded my first web page in '93. And put together a few of the first biz pages on the net. But things have changed tremendously since then. Unfortunately, I have not. I'm en ER nurse and have to put a lot of time into just maintaining my RN license. I intend to sweeten up the site. And my primary goal is to just awaken some to the possibility of other OSs, specifically, Ubuntu.

I haven't coded any pages since frames first came out. Yep. LONG time. I was an original member of the HTML Writers Guild (are they even around any more?)... I would have a large learning curve for getting CSSs going and for a lot of other things.

I plan on cleaning up the site, streamlining and doing some spiffying up here and there, but as far as getting into anything beyond what I have done, technique-wise, I don't think it'll be happening. Getting to the point that just staying on top of changes in the medical field is becoming a bit much.. :lolflag:

Please don't take this as a rebuff. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks! :)

Kevin

kshane
October 17th, 2007, 05:32 PM

I started out just like you but when I found CMSs, building a website entirely by hand no longer made sense.

I've tried many but found Drupal to be the best (for me) check signature to see my site.

Thanks! Checking it out now...

Kevin

kshane
October 17th, 2007, 05:38 PM
A very full and interesting site - thanks for the new (to me at any rate) information.

I don't know the first thing about websites but I think you've got a winner here. I know my son-in-law is interested in Ubuntu since I showed it to him on my PC but his big interest is Computer Games and I had to tell him I didn't know if Ubuntu handled them or not. Now I do.

Again, thanks and good luck.

rock-hopper.

ps. If my previous comment was a bit 'flip', please ignore! It was just the idea of making a woman do anything - in 38 years of marriage I've never managed it!

r-h.

Thanks a lot for the compliment! I appreciate it. I was hoping to do a little to show gamers that Ubuntu isn't bad for that. Some times the Windows games have more flash, but Ubuntu (Linux) is much more stable. I've spent (literally) hundreds on Windows based games and have had the ol' Blue Screens more than I care to remember. Since running Ubuntu I have had a few troubles, but mostly they've been due to not knowing Linux well enough (only been using it for 5 mos...).

On the other thing - yep... I've never been able to figure out how to "make" them do anything, either! :)

Thanks again!

Kevin

some_random_noob
October 17th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Do some reading about Free Software, Open Source Software, the two movements, and what they are about.

http://www.gnu.org/
http://www.fsf.org/
(Those two links are good resources for the OP)

Anyways, nice site; There's just a few things I want to point out:

1. You should probably remove some of the political stuff (On the front page), because the average person wants to use something that works for them, not something based on their political beliefs. Try and cut down on some of the political stuff or keep it in another section.

2. Change the gaming section. It's horrible. Show some commercial games running on Wine or Cedgar and remove the pictures of the card games.

3. Write articles about the software you've mentioned. Like Firefox, OpenOffice, Gimp etc. Because these things are worthy of their own articles. The point being that they are almost as good (If not better) than their commercial competitors.

Here's a similar site to steal ideas from (http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/)

Good luck! :)

kshane
October 17th, 2007, 05:55 PM

Installed Drupal (or tried to). It tried to install a WHOLE bunch of other stuff that I just gave defaults answers to. Didn't work. Any one know of any other programs that might help me out with the site? Like I said, I have been pretty much just coding by hand.

Thanks!

Kevin

kshane
October 17th, 2007, 06:09 PM
http://www.gnu.org/
http://www.fsf.org/
(Those two links are good resources for the OP)

Anyways, nice site; There's just a few things I want to point out:

1. You should probably remove some of the political stuff (On the front page), because the average person wants to use something that works for them, not something based on their political beliefs. Try and cut down on some of the political stuff or keep it in another section.

2. Change the gaming section. It's horrible. Show some commercial games running on Wine or Cedgar and remove the pictures of the card games.

3. Write articles about the software you've mentioned. Like Firefox, OpenOffice, Gimp etc. Because these things are worthy of their own articles. The point being that they are almost as good (If not better) than their commercial competitors.

Here's a similar site to steal ideas from (http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/)

Good luck! :)

Thanks for the compliment! I agree... I have a ways to go with the site. However, as far as the political thought goes - that's me. It has to stay. It's my philosophy. If people don't like the concepts of freedom and liberty (they are different), they should browse other sites.

As for the rest of your suggestions: again, thank you. I will be expanding it as I go. This is the version0.1 alpha <grin>.

I'm a BBS Sysop from the old days. Can't get away from the concept.

You DO have some great suggestions and Ideas. I looked at the site you suggested. It's pretty much in line with what a few others have suggested. Very nice. It's really not what I envisioned for this one, though. Not that either is wrong. I'm kinda looking to awaken people. I have sent out the url to a number of groups and people from the "old days", i.e., the old BBS crews and users. There are still a lot of them out here. In fact, I've had a lot of people asking about whether or not I would be starting up a BBS again. No. I don't think there's any BBS software out there that would support Linux.

But, I appreciate the critique. Check out the site every few days/weeks. You'll see changes sneaking in slowly but surely.

Thanks again!

Kevin

Paqman
October 17th, 2007, 06:39 PM
I intend to sweeten up the site.

Well, you're 95% spot on. My points were just optimisations, really.

I would have a large learning curve for getting CSSs going and for a lot of other things.

I think you'd be surprised. It's actually much simpler than straight html. You only need to define each style once, then it's done. For example, defining the styles for all your body text could be a single line the stylesheet.
I'd recommend the book Integrated HTML and CSS (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Integrated-HTML-CSS-Smarter-Faster/dp/0782143784/ref=sr_1_2/202-6513303-2547860?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192642497&sr=8-2) if you're ever interested in seeing how CSS can modify html.

Please don't take this as a rebuff. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks! :)

Not at all. I'm just flinging ideas about randomly!

happysmileman
October 17th, 2007, 06:58 PM

Kevin

Linux isn't based on Minix, it was coded from scratch, though he did I think get Minix users to help him with it.

UNIX was completely seperate and a much older project. Linux is a "Unix-like" OS, but doesn't share any code with Unix.

CAVEAT: However, in all fairnaess, Ubuntu
Spelling mistake, should be "fairness".

though financial support is never required.
SOme OSS projects do charge, and it is covered under the GPL that they are allowed to charge, though depending on interpretation you may be correct, not too sure myself

Sorry if it seems like I'm criticising website or anything, just needs some corrections... I do like the idea though.

Gaming sections should have some screenshots of more popular games, for example Quake games and Doom games generally are released for Linux, and Enemy Territory would also look good, especially since it's free. Maybe some members here could donate a screeny or two if they have these games?

And maybe you could ahve a screenshot of the "Add/Remove programs..." app instead of synaptic, a lot prettier, and for end-users it looks a lot easier to use, and does the same thing, except for some more advanced options they probably wouldn't be comfortable with at first anyway

kshane
October 17th, 2007, 07:56 PM

... Gaming sections should have some screenshots of more popular games, for example Quake games and Doom games generally are released for Linux, and Enemy Territory would also look good, especially since it's free. Maybe some members here could donate a screeny or two if they have these games?...

Yes, please! I would love some screenshots, if you could, of some games! Everyone reading this, if ya got or can get some good screenshots of games, that would be cool.

I am redoing the site right now. Had some really terrific suggestions.

Kevin

kshane
October 17th, 2007, 08:14 PM
I can't find it now, but someone posted a free alternative to distrowatch... Pointed out distrowatch is selling ad space... Where is the other place???

Kevin

herbster
October 17th, 2007, 08:36 PM
kshane,

This is a really neat site indeed. I have sent it to a few friends who are eager to grab hold of the linux reigns and test the waters. As others have mentioned, it is a clean, simple site that gets the point across, and thus it's quite accessible to most. You've avoided the flashy stuff, which is wonderful in many cases but here it is unneeded. Very nice work.

And in your caveat (which is definitely the right thing to put on the site) you should certainly add a big mention to ubuntuforums.org as the best help resource anyone could ask for when learning to use Ubuntu (I know it's on the left navbar but should definitely be in the caveat). I would really underscore how incredible this free and fantastic community is as folks who see that there's a "learning curve" should in the same sentence be informed that this forum will help them get through damn near any hurdle they could possibly encounter. Can't sell it enough IMO!

Again, great job!!

kshane
October 17th, 2007, 11:25 PM
kshane,

This is a really neat site indeed. I have sent it to a few friends who are eager to grab hold of the linux reigns and test the waters. As others have mentioned, it is a clean, simple site that gets the point across, and thus it's quite accessible to most. You've avoided the flashy stuff, which is wonderful in many cases but here it is unneeded. Very nice work.

And in your caveat (which is definitely the right thing to put on the site) you should certainly add a big mention to ubuntuforums.org as the best help resource anyone could ask for when learning to use Ubuntu (I know it's on the left navbar but should definitely be in the caveat). I would really underscore how incredible this free and fantastic community is as folks who see that there's a "learning curve" should in the same sentence be informed that this forum will help them get through damn near any hurdle they could possibly encounter. Can't sell it enough IMO!

Again, great job!!

Thanks for the compliment! :)

Yes, I am redoing it right now. Cleaning up the code some and adding a couple of pages. Wanted to make it just a little less reading-intensive, while still giving some good info. I suspect it should be up in a day or two.

I got a LOT of really good criticisms and I've taken advantage of it to clean things up and improve, somewhat. Like I say, been quite a while since of done html and I've forgotten a lot.

Now I need some more screen shots of programs running and some cool game screenshots.

I was gonna post and ask they be mailed, but my threads keep getting yanked. :confused:

Thanks again!

Kevin

Frak
October 18th, 2007, 03:09 AM
apt:tremulous

kshane
October 18th, 2007, 04:13 AM
apt:tremulous

Thanks! Yours was the only response I got to my request <sigh>

Kevin

kshane
October 19th, 2007, 02:13 AM
Hi All!

Well, I took into account everyone's advice and spent the past day and a half redoing the site. So, again, how about some constructive criticism?

http://ubuntuman.110mb.com/

Thanks! Looking forward to your critiques! :)

Kevin

tdrusk
October 19th, 2007, 02:45 AM
Hi All!

Well, I took into account everyone's advice and spent the past day and a half redoing the site. So, again, how about some constructive criticism?

http://ubuntuman.110mb.com/

Thanks! Looking forward to your critiques! :)

Kevin

Nice. The colors look good together, but I don't really like the background color.

Looks like a great source of info.

Vorian
October 19th, 2007, 02:50 AM
threads merged

-grubby
October 19th, 2007, 02:50 AM
Linus torvalds didn't call Linux Linux at first. Other than that it's great

kshane
October 19th, 2007, 03:30 AM
Linus torvalds didn't call Linux Linux at first. Other than that it's great

Thanks... Didn't find much on the naming process...

Kevin

kshane
October 19th, 2007, 03:33 AM
Nice. The colors look good together, but I don't really like the background color.

Looks like a great source of info.

Thanks... Yeah... I'll probably change all that again soon to give it a different flavor:.. :)

Kevin

Frak
October 19th, 2007, 03:35 AM
Why don't you code it in CSS instead of HTML, much cleaner IMHO. Plus, it happens to be easier to set variables like color and style.

kshane
October 19th, 2007, 03:44 AM
Why don't you code it in CSS instead of HTML, much cleaner IMHO. Plus, it happens to be easier to set variables like color and style.

I looked around at some stuff to do with that, but it looked like more of a learning curve than I want to fool with.

Whole site is based on the first page, so shouldn't be much variation...

Kevin

-grubby
October 19th, 2007, 04:19 AM
Thanks... Didn't find much on the naming process...

Kevin

they used to have it in the Wikipedia article...something about his friend not liking it' name and naming the folder in which it was stored "linux" (his server)
EDIT: it's in the linus torvalds article

Initially Torvalds wanted to call the kernel he developed Freax (a combination of "free", "freak", and the letter X to indicate that it is a Unix-like system), but his friend Ari Lemmke, who administered the FTP server where the kernel was first hosted for downloading, named Torvalds' directory linux.

Frak
October 19th, 2007, 04:43 AM
And the name stuck. :)

Kujen
October 19th, 2007, 04:46 AM
Probably been said by a smartass besides me already, but I have to.

"A site for enticing new users"? Don't we call that "Digg".

Eric the Grey
October 19th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Nice site.

IMO, I think it could use one more section. A "Try it before you buy it" link, telling people they can try it out on a Live CD without ever touching their current OS and see if they like it.

The Live CD has helped me get at least two others to try Ubuntu, one has made the switch permanently.

:cool: Eric the Grey

kshane
October 19th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Nice site.

IMO, I think it could use one more section. A "Try it before you buy it" link, telling people they can try it out on a Live CD without ever touching their current OS and see if they like it.

The Live CD has helped me get at least two others to try Ubuntu, one has made the switch permanently.

:cool: Eric the Grey

I believe the live cd is mentioned in there...

Kevin