PDA

View Full Version : Finally figured it out!

Sand Lee
October 19th, 2007, 02:02 AM
I have a 28.63GB HD for Ubuntu and I've finally figured out a partition scheme that will last for a very long time. Here goes:

hda1___ / ______________ 9GB______ Stable Ubuntu Release
hda2___ /test_______ _ _ 5GB______ Ubuntu Testing Release/ Other distro
hda3___ /data______ ___ 13.63_ _ _ Interdistro data (what would be in home)
hda4___ linux-swap_ ___ 1GB

:guitar:

-grubby
October 19th, 2007, 02:04 AM
nice

HermanAB
October 19th, 2007, 02:08 AM
Hmm, next time, make a /home partition too, so that you don't have to delete all your data when you install the next version...

Sand Lee
October 19th, 2007, 02:59 AM
I chose to make a /media/data partition instead of a /home partition because I don't like config files to be transferred over when I install a new version of Ubuntu. With a /media/data partition, I can keep all my data when installing a new release. I just have to chose not to format the partition during installation and mount it in the same location.

HermanAB
October 19th, 2007, 03:48 AM
Good, I use a more traditional /export partition, since it is usually NFS shared with other machines too, but I don't like it when my desktop schtuff gets nuked, so I keep a /home around as well.

Sand Lee
October 28th, 2007, 06:17 AM
This was my old partitioning scheme:

hda1___ / ______________ 9GB______ Stable Ubuntu Release
hda2___ /media/test____ 5GB__ ___ Ubuntu Testing Release/ Other distro
hda3___ /media/data___ 13.63____ Interdistro data (what would be in home)
hda4___ linux-swap_____ 1GB

I have now updated the original post to show my new scheme. I moved the /media partitions into the root directory in order to limit the cruft in the Places menu. It might just be me, but the system seems to work faster now. :)

pelle.k
October 28th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Other mountpoints should traditionally be placed in /media or /mnt.
The nice thing is, the patched gnome in ubuntu, places partitions mounted under (not /mnt ) /media at the desktop (and places menu), and the rest in computer:// so things don't get messy.

Also, you've got to have a swap partition at least as large as your RAM (preferably even more) to hibernate your computer without problems.